1999 -march paper 1 and 2

Discussion in 'MRCOG Forum' started by Guest, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

march 1 2

1 FFFFT FFTFT
    2 TFTTF TTTFT
    3 FFFTF FTTTT
    4 FTTFF TFTFT
    5 FFFFF TFTTT
    6 FFTFF FFTTF
    7 TFFFF TFTTF
    8 FTFFT FFFTF
    9 TTFTF TTFTT
    10 FFFTF FTTFF
    11 FTTTF ?FTTTF
    12 TTTTT FFTFF
    13 TFTTF FFFFF
    14 FTTTT TTFTF
    15 TFFFF TTFFT
    16 FTTTT TTTFF
    17 FT?TT?F FTFTT
    18 TFFF?T TFFTT
    19 TFTFF TTTTF
    20 TTTFT FFTTF
    21 T?FTTF FTTTF
    22 FFFFT TTTTF
    23 FTFFT FFTFT
    24 TFTTF FTTFT
    25 TFFTF FTFFF
    26 FTFTT TT?FTF
    27 FTFFT FFTTF
    28 FFTTT TTTFT
    29 TTFTF TFFFF
    30 TTFFF FTTTF
    31 FTTTT FTTFF
    32 TTTFT TFFFT
    33 FTTTT FTFTF
    34 FTFTT FTTTT
    35 TFTFF TFFTT
    36 TFTTT FFTFT
    37 TFTFF FFFTT
    38 FFFFT FFTF?_
    39 TFTTT FFTTT
    40 FTTTT TTFT?_
    41 FFTFT TT?_TT
    42 FFTTT ?_TF?_?F
    43 TFTTF FFFFF
    44 TFTTT TFTFT
    45 TTFFF FTTTT
    46 FFFTT TFTTF
    47 FFFTT ?F?FTT?F
    48 TTFFT TFTFT
    49 FTFFT TTFFF
    50 TFFFF TFTFT
  2. roni

roni Guest

PAPER 1 COMMENTS

Q2 BC
    The bladder is supplied by the superior and the inferior vesical arteries i don't think that there are any differences.
    in Snell Anatomy it's written that the middle recatl artery supplies the rectal muscles mainly.

Q3 C
    the obturator artery is crossed by the ureter.

Q4 C
    the obturator nerve does not leave the pelvis through the greater sceatic foramen, through the obturator foramen.

Q5 B
    the pelvic splanchnic nerves contribute to the infrior hypogastric plexus.

Q6 C
    I think it's lined by the granulosa cells.

Q7 B
    The ureter is crossed inferiorly by the uterine artery sounds true.

Q9 A
    The cervix consists predominantly of fibrous tissue.

Q10 D
    the bladder is innervated by sympathetic fibres from L1 L2

Q11 D
    the gubernaculum is derived from the urogenital mesentery (not sure)

Q13 D
    i don't think that the greater vestibular glands arise from the urogenital sinus, (the paraurethral and the prostate gland are), but not sure please comment.

Q14 C
    the fetal testis are in the pelvis not the abdomen at 12 weeks (in the inguinal area.).

C15 CD
    the pressure in the inferior vena cava falls at birth, regarding D not sure.

Q17 D
    The oestradiol can cross the membrane so i think it does not need active transport.

Q 18CE
    THE tetstosterone promotes the union of long bone(not sure), is secreted maximally in the morning.

Q21BC

I believe that before puberty the concentrations of GnRH are low due to unknow inhibitory factor and at the puberty the inhibition goes so they start to elevate, but regarding the sensitivity of ovaries i can't comment, but i opt to answer it as false.

Q Q28C
    this is very contentious, but i read somewhere that it can be detected at the 10th day, and at that time the blastocyst has implanted.

Q30D
    TRUE

Q31 C
    False

Q32 A
    False

Q33B
    False the schistosoma japonicum is prevalent in eastern asia.

Q36 B
    True

Q 42 the second one C
    False

Q43 C
    False

Q45 CD
    i answered C True (but i don't know what is ring block)
    D False as lignocaine used as a local anaesthetic.

Q47 AE
    A True
    E false

Q49 can you comment regarding BCDE options.

in the end those are just my opinions which do not necessarily reflect the right answers.

yours.
  3. roni

roni Guest

sorry regarding Q45 D lignocaine causes vasodilatation.
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

thx roni, will go thru ur comments andget back - not been keeping too well, so pls be patient with my response.
    thx
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

6. guest

guest Guest

Posterior lobe of pituitary gland - ? not ectodermal?

Hi Sorry for may be silly q. but is pituitary gland - not ectodermal?

Where it comes ffrom then????

Thx
  7. Shipra

Shipra Guest

pit. is ectodermal....both ant n post pit parts...
  8. guest

guest Guest

So the answer should be true. I was sure.

Thx
  9. roni

roni Guest

Q28C
    according to (jafaru abu)
    implantation is probablly well underway by5-6 days postovulation and HCG prduced by the blastocyst to convert the corpus luteum in early pregnancy can be detected in maternal serum using a sensitive beta HCG assay by 8 days post ovulation.
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

hi roni - sorry for the delay
    PAPER 1 COMMENTSQ2 BC -The bladder is supplied by the superior and the inferior vesical arteries i don't think that there are any differences. in Snell Anatomy it's written that the middle recatl artery supplies the rectal muscles mainly. - my answers are false (supplies inferior aspect) and true.

Q3 C -the obturator artery is crossed by the ureter. - my ans is false, do u say its true??? whats ur ref??

Q4 C -the obturator nerve does not leave the pelvis through the greater sceatic foramen, through the obturator foramen. - u r right, thx for correcting me

Q5 B -the pelvic splanchnic nerves contribute to the infrior hypogastric plexus. - agree

Q6 C -I think it's lined by the granulosa cells. - not sure

Q7 B -The ureter is crossed inferiorly by the uterine artery sounds true. - in the pelvis, its water under the bridge - so false
    Q9 A -The cervix consists predominantly of fibrous tissue. - agree, didnt i give u info on that/ :wink:

Q10 D -the bladder is innervated by sympathetic fibres from L1 L2 - true - sure - ref : KL Moore

Q11 D -the gubernaculum is derived from the urogenital mesentery (not sure) - i recollect it to be mesonephros, will get back onthis if i am wrong, else its true ( inderbir sigh / langman - is what i referred to)
    Q13 D -i don't think that the greater vestibular glands arise from the urogenital sinus, (the paraurethral and the prostate gland are), but not sure please comment. -they do, looked up the above 2 embryology books for this answer - any ducts that open in to a structure are derived from the same embryonic origin.
    Q14 C -the fetal testis are in the pelvis not the abdomen at 12 weeks (in the inguinal area.). - ?? shipra ur comment?
    C15 CD -the pressure in the inferior vena cava falls at birth, regarding D not sure. - d is false for sure, it cantake upt0 1 - 2 months for complete closure by fibrosis,
    whats ur ref for C??
    Q17 D -The oestradiol can cross the membrane so i think it does not need active transport. - ???
    Q 18CE -THE tetstosterone promotes the union of long bone(not sure), is secreted maximally in the morning. - not sure, doesnt estrogen promote union? are u sure abt maximal rise in morn??
    Q21BC -I believe that before puberty the concentrations of GnRH are low due to unknow inhibitory factor and at the puberty the inhibition goes so they start to elevate, but regarding the sensitivity of ovaries i can't comment, but i opt to answer it as false. - my answer to b - is false, but not sure. because of the inhibitory factor , i gather they are insensitive to Gn before puberty.?!
    Q Q28C -this is very contentious, but i read somewhere that it can be detected at the 10th day, and at that time the blastocyst has implanted. - true - for sure, its detection thats done on 10th day, but secretion starts earlier.

Q30D -TRUE - oligo should be true, Small peptides with fewer than about ten constituent amino acids are called oligopeptides, and peptides with more than ten amino acids are termed polypeptides. Compounds with molecular weights of more than 10,000 (50–100 amino acids) are usually termed proteins. http://www.answers.com/topic/peptide

Q31 C -False - not sure, are u?
    Q32 A -False - agree
    Q33B -False the schistosoma japonicum is prevalent in eastern asia. - read on net it is ??
    Q36 B -True - i read as aerobic, whats ur ref?
    Q 42 the second one C -False - ref to support my answer http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3608376&dopt=Abstract
    Q43 C -False - thx for correcting me
    Q45 CD i answered C True (but i don't know what is ring block) D False as lignocaine used as a local anaesthetic.sorry regarding Q45 D lignocaine causes vasodilatation. - ring block - like a ring on ur finger - so dont use adr with it!!
    for D - it causes vasoconstr at low conc and vasodiln at high conc
    Q47 AE A True E false - agree with A, E is true - for sure
    Q49 can you comment regarding BCDE options. - dos not reduce placebo effect as it has psychological effect and its a randomised trial - so false. it cannot control for confounding variables as inorde to do that one must match for variables and then compare - plain randomization cant control for known or unknown confounding variables. there are various ways to randomize of which alternate approach is one, but a btter way woudl be to pick lets say every 4 th or 10th candidate, etc, esp for outpatient based studies.
  11. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Q14 C -the fetal testis are in the pelvis not the abdomen at 12 weeks (in the inguinal area.). - ?? shipra ur comment?

Agreed...they are in pelvis. Testis begins to descend from the abdomen in the 2nd month of intrauterine life.It reaches the illiac fossa by the 3rd month,deep ingiunal ring 4-6th month,superficial ring at 8th month and bottom of scrotum by 9th month. So ,I think,ans shd be false.
  12. Shipra

Shipra Guest

I agree now that thyroid hormone is actively transported transplacentally.Thanx both of you :)
  13. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Sorry I posted in the wrong thread....
  14. Guest

Guest Guest

Correction

Corrections

Paper 1

Q47, E, Bromocriptine is dopamine agonist, so it inhibit prolactin, Chloropromazine, is Dopamine antagonist from Phenothiazines, used as antipsychotic mainly so answer is False.

Q 36, B, N gonorrhoea is aerobic organism, so answer is false

Q31, C, Calcitonin is not regulated by the phosphate level that’s from ganong, only by Ca level and some other Hormones, but the fact from my basic science is that the phosphate level correlates with the Ca Level, so when one increase the other decrease, but I cant find that anywhere, so can any one comment on that putting in mind that Calcitonin doesn’t work unless Ca level is 9.5mg/dl or more…

Q 21, B is true, it is written in Tim chard page 126, that Puberty in girls is assoiciated with nocturnal pulses of LH (REM sleep)

Q21, C I am not sure but does any one know if the ovaries before puberty will respond to injection of exogenous gonadotrophins…?

18, C, False, Revise Ganong page 416, it says, it used to be argued that testosterone causes the epiphyses to fuse to the long bones, thus eventually stopping growth, but it now appears that epiphyseal closure is due to oestrogen.

18, E, False, is secreted maximally in the morning, you can bind it to morning erection, lol (just kidding but I do remember it this way)

Q 3, C, true , yes it is crossed by the ureter, Ref lasts Anatomy, page 290 (ureter in the pelvis) it says , "in order from above downwards, it crosses the obturator nerve, obliterated umbilical artery, obturator artery and obturator vein, also Lasts anatomy page 300 fig 5.61 shows the crossing

Q2 B, in Lasts anatomy they didnt say anything about divisions of blood supply of the bladder so I am not sure if the superior vesical is responsible for the fundus or not..if any one has a reference, plz comment..?

Q2, C, False, as it is the superior rectal artery which supplies the rectal mucosa, the middle rectal artery gives short branches, ref Last's Anatomy, page 286, 287 "blood supply of the rectum', they also wrote that the middle rectal artery may be small or absent…

Q1, B, F, Posterior Lobe of the pituitary is Ectodermal from the floor of the Diencephalon(Neural ectoderm)

Best regards,
    Dr. Mohamed A. Otify
  15. Guest

Guest Guest

hi dr otify
    47, E, Bromocriptine is dopamine agonist, so it inhibit prolactin, Chloropromazine, is Dopamine antagonist from Phenothiazines, used as antipsychotic mainly so answer is False. - agree

Q 36, B, N gonorrhoea is aerobic organism, so answer is false - agree

Q31, C, Calcitonin is not regulated by the phosphate level that’s from ganong, only by Ca level and some other Hormones, but the fact from my basic science is that the phosphate level correlates with the Ca Level, so when one increase the other decrease, but I cant find that anywhere, so can any one comment on that putting in mind that Calcitonin doesn’t work unless Ca level is 9.5mg/dl or more… - keeping in mind that it is not regulaed by hosphate levesl - the answer would be false
    Q 21, B is true, it is written in Tim chard page 126, that Puberty in girls is assoiciated with nocturnal pulses of LH (REM sleep) - -THX for sharing that
    Q21, C I am not sure but does any one know if the ovaries before puberty will respond to injection of exogenous gonadotrophins…? - in precocious puberty yes, but otherwise?? will look up speroff and try and get back, pls give me sometime
    18, C, False, Revise Ganong page 416, it says, it used to be argued that testosterone causes the epiphyses to fuse to the long bones, thus eventually stopping growth, but it now appears that epiphyseal closure is due to oestrogen.- agree
    18, E, False, is secreted maximally in the morning - agree - there is nocturnal rise, secretion starts at night, not in the evening.
    Q 3, C, true , yes it is crossed by the ureter, Ref lasts Anatomy, page 290 (ureter in the pelvis) it says , "in order from above downwards, it crosses the obturator nerve, obliterated umbilical artery, obturator artery and obturator vein, also Lasts anatomy page 300 fig 5.61 shows the crossing - thx for sharing that and correcting me!
    Q2 B, in Lasts anatomy they didnt say anything about divisions of blood supply of the bladder so I am not sure if the superior vesical is responsible for the fundus or not..if any one has a reference, plz comment..? - this is mentioned in Kl moore anatomy, i dont have rj last.
    Q2, C, False, as it is the superior rectal artery which supplies the rectal mucosa, the middle rectal artery gives short branches, ref Last's Anatomy, page 286, 287 "blood supply of the rectum', they also wrote that the middle rectal artery may be small or absent… - again, thx for this!
    Q1, B, F, Posterior Lobe of the pituitary is Ectodermal from the floor of the Diencephalon(Neural ectoderm) -THEREFORE TRUE!!
    thx for all ur help!! appreciate it
  16. Guest

Guest Guest

PAPER 2 -
    no 47 - answers are: FTTTF? do u all agree?
    no 42: FTF?_F????
    41 - c??
    no 1: d - true??

PAPER 1
    NO 17: c - true?
    e - false???

no 15- c - does the pressure in IVC fall in the neonate at birth?
  17. roni

roni Guest

March 1999 paper 1
    Q 7 a
    It can be supplied by the uterine artery
    Q11 d
    False (I think it’s from the urogenital mesentery)

Q 33 b
    Is false for sure (ref clinical microbiology made ridiculously simple edition 2)
    Japonicum Eastern Asia (resides in veins surrounding the intestinal tract) deposits eggs in feces
    Mansoni south America and Africa (resides in veins surrounding the intestinal tract) deposits eggs in feces

Haematobium Africa(resides in veins surrounding the bladder) deposits eggs in urine.
    Q36 b
    True
    Ref (ref clinical microbiology made ridiculously simple edition 2), Facultative anaerobe.
    Q46 de
    Metronidazole impairs alcohol metabolism
    The effects of bromocriptine are reduced by chlorpromazine.
  18. roni

roni Guest

To Dr Ruby:
    I hope I’m not too late and if you don’t have the time just don’t go through my comments and don’t feel guilty about that.

I appreciate your hard work and I hope you the best,(you’re doing a great job).

By the way I have other comments on other questions but I’m afraid I don’t have the time to write them at the moment,but I’ll try to do my best)
    Sincerely yours
    Roni
  19. Guest

Guest Guest

March 1999 paper 1
    Q 7 a It can be supplied by the uterine artery - agree
    Q11 d False (I think it’s from the urogenital mesentery) - ur ref pls? i read as mesonephros somewhere

Q 33 b Is false for sure (ref clinical microbiology made ridiculously simple edition 2) Japonicum Eastern Asia (resides in veins surrounding the intestinal tract) deposits eggs in feces
    Mansoni south America and Africa (resides in veins surrounding the intestinal tract) deposits eggs in feces Haematobium Africa(resides in veins surrounding the bladder) deposits eggs in urine.
    - i got my answer from ther net. u may be right

Q36 b True Ref (ref clinical microbiology made ridiculously simple edition 2), Facultative anaerobe. - thx, i agree
    Q46 de Metronidazole impairs alcohol metabolism
    The effects of bromocriptine are reduced by chlorpromazine.
    - agree

thx roni. appreciate all ur efforts
  20. Shipra

Shipra Guest

21. Guest

Guest Guest

Shipra I cant figure the info in the link you sent, I think you pasted a wrong link, plz check again
  22. Shipra

Shipra Guest

23. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-2 Q29 'd' shd be true.Pls check.
  24. Guest

Guest Guest

AGREE WITH UR ABOVE ANSWERS SHIPRA - THX FOR THE CORECTION. WISH U ALL THE BEST DEAR. U WERE GREAT HELP!
  25. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-2 34'e' shd be false as increased PCO2 shifts the curve to right
  26. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-2 Q40 only 'd' is true rest shd be false. RBCs have 7micron dia, mcv is 87fL, is biconcave disc , and more than 90% wt. of rbc is Hb.
  27. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-2 Q45 'b' shd be false as its located on dorsal portion of interatrial septum....couldnt find coronary sinus anywhere...though found out that opening of coronary sinus is quite near to it...
  28. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-2 Q42 'b' is true rest are false
  29. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-2 Q41 'c' is also true...just now found it in my text
  30. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-2 Q31'c' shd be false ...in osteomalacia, osteoblastic acivity is abnormal and increased so that osteoid tissue fails to get mineralised..
  31. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-2 28'c' shd be false --discussed earlier
  32. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-2 23'd' shd be true
  33. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-2 Q25'c' shd be true
  34. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-2 Q22 'c' shd be false as complement is req in type II and III reactions
  35. Shipra

Shipra Guest

paper-2 20'c' shd be false ...its actually IgE which fixes to mast cells
  36. Shipra

Shipra Guest

paper-2 19'd' shd be false as it's related to viral origin..EBV
  37. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-2 Q10 'a' shd be true and 'c' shd be false
  38. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-2 8'a' shd be true
  39. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-2 Q6 'b' is true and 'c' is false ( its lecithin actually)
  40. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-1 7'e' shd be also true
  41. Guest

Guest Guest

Shipra

Do you know what link does Ruby talk about for statistics in her statistics post?
  42. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Its quick link...u may see it on this forum's page by the heading quick link
  43. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-1 38'b' shd be true
  44. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-1 Q42 ( 2nd one) ans shd be 'a' and 'd'
  45. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-1 Q31'b' shd be false as calcitonin remains unchanged in pregnancy
  46. pipis

pipis Guest

morphine q44

Q44 E, Morphine causes pupillary dilatation.FALSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  47. pipis

pipis Guest

morphine q44

Q44 E, Morphine causes pupillary dilatation.FALSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  48. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: morphine q44

Morphine causes pupillary constriction
  49. FORCEPS

FORCEPS Guest

50. Guest

Guest Guest

march 1999 -1
    31B)calcitonin is increased in pregnancy.......... T,refer ganong 394-395