1999 - sept paper 1 and 2

Discussion in 'MRCOG Forum' started by Guest, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-2 Q6 'd' is true. Urea is end product of N2 metabolism in humans and foetal urea passes to maternal circulation through simple diffusion across placenta.
  2. Corrections

Paper 1

Q 16, A, True, Ref ganong page 284, It says, Chains containing 2-10 amino acids are called peptides, chains containing more than 10 but fewer than 100 amino acids are called polypeptides, and chains containing 100 or more are called proteins"

Q 16, C True,
    Ref Chamberlain Page 241
    "The anterior pituitary is made up of a mixture of cells with different secretory properties, they are divided into three groups on basis of their staining with H&E. the chrompphobe which (do not stain) are thought to be resting cells, but chrompphobe adenoma hae been shown to secrete gonadotrophin subunits. The acidophils synthesise prolactin and growth hormone and the basophils which secrete the Gonadotrophins, TSH, and ACTH.

also Ref ganong page 384, it says
    "Human anterior pituitary cells have traditionally been divided on the basis of their staining reactions into chromophobes and chromophils. The chromophilic cells are subdivided into acidophils, which stain with acidic dyes, and basophils, which stain with basic dyes. Many of the chromophobic cells are secretory cells that are inactive and have few secretory granules."

Q 22, B, True
    Ref Chamberlain Page 252
    it says"insulin is metabolized by the liver and thekidney"

Q 23, False
    Ref Tim chard page 121, it is that the response of TSH to TSH-rH increases which is an oestrogen effect

Q 23, E, True
    Ref Chamberlain page 256, in maternal thyroid dysfunction the fetal thyroid is greatly affected

Q 41, D False
    Frothy vaginal discharge is associated with Trichmoniasis not with BV

Regards,
    Dr. Mohamed A. Otify
  3. Shipra

Shipra Guest

4. Shipra

Shipra Guest

23 'e' false agreed- paper-2
  5. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-2 Q24-- I couldnt find anywhere statements relating to 'd' and 'e' so I'd mark them as false
  6. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Q25 paper-2 --- agreed with ur ans.
  7. Shipra

Shipra Guest

8. Shipra

Shipra Guest

paper-2,Q 30 'd' shd be false ...as phagocytosis of necrotic debris and other foreign material only occurs in sec. intention.
    Rest ans I agree.
  9. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-2 Q35 'd' shd be true as kinins are primarily degraded in lungs
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

paper 1 q23

Maternal thyroid passes to fetus prior to 12 weeks gestation as fetal thyroid secretion starts only at 12 weeks (Physiology in Obs - Pipkin).

So.. whether D shd be true
  11. Guest

Guest Guest

paper 1 q10

10 E shd be true -- vagina lower part from sinovaginal bulb and upper portion from mesonephric duct
  12. Shipra

Shipra Guest

No...its actually para mesonephric duct ( mullerian duct)u r talking about( paramesonephric ducts of two sides unite to form uterovaginal canal which forms the upper portion of vagina) Pls check.Thanx.
  13. Guest

Guest Guest

hi guys,
    will go thru all comments and get back. thx
  14. Guest

Guest Guest

hi shipra and dr otify,
    Paper-2 Q1- 'e' shd be true as its receptor is cell memberane tyrosine kinase receptor. Also 'b' is probably true...searched on net and found estrogen causes upregulation of EGF receptors.,Sorry 'e' is false......Pls comment - u r right. i misinterpreted. ref williams page 927

Paper-2, Q3 'd' shd be false ... histamine causes increased heart rate and cardiac output on subcutaneous injection.
    Paper 1 - Q 16, A, True, Ref ganong page 284, It says, Chains containing 2-10 amino acids are called peptides, chains containing more than 10 but fewer than 100 amino acids are called polypeptides, and chains containing 100 or more are called proteins"
    Q 16, C True,
    Q 22, B, True Ref Chamberlain Page 252 it says"insulin is metabolized by the liver and thekidney"
    - thx for correcting me

paper-2 Q8 'c' is true.Paper-2 Q6 'd' is true. Urea is end product of N2 metabolism in humans and foetal urea passes to maternal circulation through simple diffusion across placenta. -agree

Paper 1 Q 23, False Ref Tim chard page 121, it is that the response of TSH to TSH-rH increases which is an oestrogen effect

Q 23, E, True Ref Chamberlain page 256, in maternal thyroid dysfunction the fetal thyroid is greatly affected

Q 41, D False Frothy vaginal discharge is associated with Trichmoniasis not with BV
    - i agree

23 'e' false agreed- paper-2 - shipra - where did u read this, been lookin for reference

Paper-2 Q 26 'e' shd also be true... Pls see the following link: http://dorakmt.tripod.com/mhc/nkcell.html - robbin says otherwise -that they lack cd3

Paper-2 Q35 'd' shd be true as kinins are primarily degraded in lungs -agree

paper 1 q 23 - Maternal thyroid passes to fetus prior to 12 weeks gestation as fetal thyroid secretion starts only at 12 weeks (Physiology in Obs - Pipkin). So.. whether D shd be true - my guess is as good as urs
  15. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-2 .46 'e' shd be true...end systolic ventricular volume is 50ml and end diastolic ventricular vol. is 130 ml.
  16. Guest

Guest Guest

few queries

SEPT 99 PAPER 2
    im qouting the ans given in the quick link to which i hav doubts, plz clearify anyone

Q5 D&C T??
    Q7 C F? can u plz give any ref

Q12 B -if T then how wud C be F?

Q14 E F??? Ref plz

Q17 A T?? I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST FOR TEH BLOOD KINETICS

Q19 B F? isnt that the case?

Q25 C ?F....ANY CONFIRMATIONS YET?

Q28 E T? wats the exact association?

Q40 D F? ISNT THAT THE CASE RSULTING IN IPSILATERAL HYDRONEPHROSIS WITH RAISED GFR?

With tnx
  17. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: few queries

5- cd true...all water sol vitamins are tranported against the conc. gradient and iron is transferred by pinocytosis...also read abt iron in internet...dont remember the link now..
    7-c -f it occurs during end of 2nd trimester...read it in internet link..u may also search in google and wud find it

12- same Q came to my mind...and found in my surgery text that as both Na and water are resorbed ( ADH and aldosterone) so seum conc doesnt rise.
    14 e- found it in net..explanation given was due to increased BMR during pregnancy iodine metabolism and hence clearance is increased.
    17- Even I m doubtful abt it...I remember somewhere that chest movements are seen in it...??
    19 b- no...actually its the complementary copy not the exact copy..eg..Adenine for thymine...cytosine gor uracil

25-- no..not yet confirmed...but i'll go for that..which lymphoid population are u expecting...cant be b lymphocytes...
    28- I remember it to be yellowish lutein pigment...if u have williams can u pls search and tell..
    40 - d-- i need to check it...
  18. Guest

Guest Guest

tnx for the help.......

well i checked Williams n it talks abt teh T lymphocytes being present at materno fetal junction though with altered immunogenicity becuz of the hormaonal influence...so its gotta b T.

for the corpus luteum , it says "....leutinized granulosa cells, theca cells, cappilaaries n connective tissue....." so that rules out caretenoids from the leutin cells n hence the corpus luteum

Q40 D :idea: ..checked out Physio Guyton n sounds like T!
  19. Guest

Guest Guest

b greater than t l'cytes inpregnancy - in 2 mcq books !!
    usg used for fetal biophysical profile - so true - q 17a

yellow color of corpus luteum shoudl be form carotene - so i marked true - checked on net - nothign solid though
  20. Shin

Shin Guest

Paper 2 Q5. The following are actively transported across the placenta from the maternal to the fetal circulation:
    Ta. Histidine
    Fb. alcohol
    Tc. ascorbic acid
    Fd. iron
    Te. intrinsic factor

active transport: amino acid, folic acid, vitamine, ca, phosphate
    Endocytosis: iron, IgG, insulin, cholesterol.
    Basic science of O& G also confirm iron transported by endocytosis in chapter 3/4