2001 - march - paper 1 and 2

Discussion in 'MRCOG Forum' started by Guest, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Shipra

Shipra Guest

In paper-1,Q-18 'd' shd be true... as there are decreased levels of cortisol in this d/s ...and if dexamethasone is given it suppreses ACTH secretion. It's not suppressed in Cushing's syndromw.
  2. Shipra

Shipra Guest

15-d is true
  3. Shipra

Shipra Guest

paper-1, Q12'a' shd be false as it is T10 dermatome
  4. Shipra

Shipra Guest

in paper-1 Q-4 --'a' shd be false as greater sp. n. pierce both crus of diaphragm and not the central tendon
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

will get back
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

Enquiry

Dear,

I really would like to thank you alot for your posts and discussions and sorry for being away as I was busy with work and night shifts

I just want to ask regarding Q20, Paper2 , why did you consider 'C' False, isnt G6PD an X-Linked recessive disorder..?

Q26, Paper 2, E regarding Fragile X syndrome..
    why do you consider it X-linked disorder, is it heridetery..?
    it is fragile site at Xq27.3
    which is associated with Gene mutation... like the deletion (are deletions inherited), correc me if I am wrong

Q27. Paper2, Does adenocarcinoma of the ovary shows metaplasia, any evidence for that...? plz clarify...?

Q30, paper2, B, Hypercapnia is associated with respiratory acidosis, but tetany occurs with respiratory alkalosis due to more plasma protein is ionised when the PH is high, thus binding more calcium and lowering biologically active calcium, SO Acidosis is associated with increasing more active calcium..? plz coment as I am confused..

Best regards
    Dr. Mohamed A. Otify
  7. Shipra

Shipra Guest

20 paper-2- 'c' is written true...see it again pls
    26 paper-2- yes fragile x synd. is an x liked recesive d/o characterised by inducible cytogenetic abnormality in X chromosome as the name suggests.( ref: robbins)
    27- not sure abt it...i'd go ofr false...ruby pls comment.
    28-q-30 --- the only reason i'd go for true is that hypercapnia leads to hyperventilation which is a cause of tetany...
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

Dear shipra

thanks for your reply

Hypercapnia yes leads to hyperventilation as a compensatory mechanism, but in isolated hypercapnia without compensation it will lead to acidosis, thats my opinion

about Q12. Paper 2. 'E'
    my question is do glycogen exist in the circulation, up to my knowledge that Glycogen is the storage form of carboyhydrate in all body tissues, mailny liver and skeletal muscles, so I think it will be false... (Plz comment)

Regards,
    Dr. Mohamed A. Otify
  9. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Agreed on Q12 -e . It infact causes glycogenesis in liver....
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

hi shipra,
    paper 1 - agree with ur answers for q:
    4 a, 12a, 15d
    18d, 22c and e, 29b, 30,
    thx for correcting me on some.
  11. Guest

Guest Guest

Q27. Paper2, Does adenocarcinoma of the ovary shows metaplasia, any evidence for that...? plz clarify...? - pls refer novaks gyne

Q30, paper2, B, Hypercapnia is associated with respiratory acidosis, but tetany occurs with respiratory alkalosis due to more plasma protein is ionised when the PH is high, thus binding more calcium and lowering biologically active calcium, SO Acidosis is associated with increasing more active calcium..? plz coment as I am confused.. Dr. Mohamed A. Otify
    28-q-30 --- the only reason i'd go for true is that hypercapnia leads to hyperventilation which is a cause of tetany...
    Dear shipra Hypercapnia yes leads to hyperventilation as a compensatory mechanism, but in isolated hypercapnia without compensation it will lead to acidosis, thats my opinion
    -
    i agree with shipras answer, also peer reviewed with colleagues here

Q12. Paper 2. 'E' my question is do glycogen exist in the circulation, up to my knowledge that Glycogen is the storage form of carboyhydrate in all body tissues, mailny liver and skeletal muscles, so I think it will be false... (Plz comment) - It infact causes glycogenesis in liver.... - i agree
  12. roni

roni Guest

i don't think that the stroke volume is equal to the blood volume in the ventricle at the end of diastole otherwise we wouldn't use the ejection fraction, i believe 50 ml remains after each systolic contraction.
  13. roni

roni Guest

sorry i didn't realise that you corrected it later on.
  14. Guest

Guest Guest

u right abt pressure in IVC dropping in neonate after birth - answer is true.
  15. roni

roni Guest

Q 39 E
    should be false the peak pressure in the pulmonary arterial system is forth of that in the systemic circulation.

i presumed that the systemic circulation pressure is represented by the left ventricle's pressure which is 140

140/35= 4 so it's one fourth.

Q 46 E
    should be false
    According to De Swiet in the early pregnancy uterine blood flow has not increased although cardiac output and renal blood flow have. and even at term the uterine blood flow is 400ml/min which is far less than 10% giving the cardiac output is 6000ml/min
    400/6000 =6.7%

Q50 E
    should be true
    according to De Swiet page 39during the early weeks of gestation, cytotrophoblastic cells from the trophoblastic shell break through the peripheral layer of syncytiotrophoblast and spread into the underlying decidua. Many of these cells go on to colonise the adjacent myometrium where they often fuse to give the typical multinucleated giant cells of the placental bed, the function of, and the role played by this interstitial extra=villous trophoblast is currently unknown.
  16. Comment

Regarding , Paper 2,
    Q 50, E, True, I agree, although I thought before it doesnt invade..!
    check this web site
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10831118&dopt=Abstract
    its written that

"The extravillous trophoblast cells invade into the uterine wall as far as the first third of the myometrium and its associated spiral arteries, where they disrupt the endothelium and the smooth muscle layer and replace the vascular wall."
    so what do you think (Plz comment)

Q 46, could you state which page of chamberlain say that, as in Tim Chard page 70 it says it reaches 700 ml/min at term, so
    700/6000 * 100 = 11.6

Q 39, False , I agree, but the Pulmonary arterial pressure is 24/9 mmHg, Gannong page 639, so still the tenth of 120 or 140 is 12 or 14 which is less than 24 so the statement wud be false

Regards,
    Dr. Mohamed A. Otify
  17. roni

roni Guest

regarding Q46 it's page 186.
  18. Guest

Guest Guest

hi roni and dr otify,
    will go thru the comments and get back with my views. thx
  19. roni

roni Guest

regarding the cardiac output to the uterus i mistakingly said that the blood flow to the uterine at term is 400ml/min, this represents the increase in cardiac output that goes to the uterus not hte total uterus blood flow which is according to De Swiet page 50 1-1.5l/min.

i am sorry for the confusion.

yours
  20. Guest

Guest Guest

Q 39 E
    should be false the peak pressure in the pulmonary arterial system is forth of that in the systemic circulation. i presumed that the systemic circulation pressure is represented by the left ventricle's pressure which is 140. 140/35= 4 so it's one fourth.
    - agree

Q 46 E should be false
    According to De Swiet in the early pregnancy uterine blood flow has not increased although cardiac output and renal blood flow have. and even at term the uterine blood flow is 400ml/min which is far less than 10% giving the cardiac output is 6000ml/min 400/6000 =6.7%
    - will type whatsin gabbe obs: by 12 wks,there is a rise in CO of 34 - 39% above non preg level accounting for 75% of total rise in CO during pregnancy. in the 1st trim, a in the non preg state, ut recieves 2 - 3 % of CO and breasts 1%. by term, ut recieves 17% (450 - 650ml/min), breasts 2%, kidney 20%, skin 10%, brain 10%, coronary A 5%.
    rise by the end of 1st tim = 6.8l, 6.5 l at 8 weeks and 5.6 l at 5 wks

considering that this increased distribution to uterus is due to 2nd placenta wave wich occurs at 20 weeks, could 10 percent be right????? someone pls comment.

Q50 E should be true according to De Swiet page 39during the early weeks of gestation, cytotrophoblastic cells from the trophoblastic shell break through the peripheral layer of syncytiotrophoblast and spread into the underlying decidua. Many of these cells go on to colonise the adjacent myometrium where they often fuse to give the typical multinucleated giant cells of the placental bed, the function of, and the role played by this interstitial extra=villous trophoblast is currently unknown. - thx for correcting me
  21. Guest

Guest Guest

Paper 1 Q50 D is false. Odd ratio of 1/3 means, 25% risk.
  22. Shipra

Shipra Guest

r u sure abt this??
  23. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes I am sure. I am an engineer. Going through this for my wife.
  24. Guest

Guest Guest

Q6 paper 2 - a and e are the correct answers.
  25. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Yes you r right...hypokalemia occurs in diabetic ketoacidosis
  26. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks Shipra. For statistics, odd ratio of 1:3 imlies risk of 1/1+3 = 25%
  27. Guest

Guest Guest

Q36 - A is false. Glococylation occurs in golgi bodies.
  28. Shipra

Shipra Guest

I couldnot find its reference anywhere ...do u have??
  29. Guest

Guest Guest

Pg 142 in chamberlain point 6. when necessary adds carbohydrate residues. Isnt that same?
  30. Shin

Shin Guest

Paper 2 Q17 B
    mRNA is an exact copy of sense DNA-- T

any comment?
  31. Shin

Shin Guest

I found this from other MRCOG candidate forum

no...actually its the complementary copy not the exact copy..eg..Adenine for thymine...cytosine gor uracil

what's your opinion?