2001 - sept 2001 - paper 1 and 2

Discussion in 'MRCOG Forum' started by Guest, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Shipra

Shipra Guest

In Q-33- paper-1 -- option 'b' can be true...as both neutropinea as well as neutrophilia often with increased numbers of immature forms of polymorphonuclear leukocytes is the most common lab abnormality in septic patients...and option'd' shd be false as early antibiotic treatment is indicated in septic shock. Ref( CMDT) Can u pls confirm?
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

questions are ambiguous!
    in septic shock - due to release of toxins (antibiotic action) may worsen / agravate hypotension??!!
    is death in septic shock CHARACTERISED by leucocytosis? it maybe a ft of septic shock per se, but does it actually characterise death??
  3. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Yes u may be right in the above 2 Q....In Q-31, paper-1 -- option 'c' shd be false as most of steroids are metabolised in liver as opposed to activation...mostly by glucourinidation.
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

agreed! needed someone to second me on that.
    most steroid hormones are activated at site of release and only metabolized in liver
  5. Shipra

Shipra Guest

In Q-45 , paper-1 -- option'e' shd be false . thiopentone is used only for i.v induction. It cant be given intramuscularly as it's a highly alkaline solution and on inadvertent injection in muscle or extravasation in surrounding tissues may cause intense pain with necrosis...pls check
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

u may be right on this. i was told that because they prefere iv for faster action. they use iv route. but u have this answer from a book right?
    coz i couldnt find it. pls let me know
  7. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Yes I found it in my book as well as googles
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

u googling too?? :wink:
  9. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Yeah :lol: ...ok can u tell me ab't Q-24 ,paper-1-- option 'd' u marked as true...does bromocryptine increases gonadotropin secretion..?
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

i only deduced this answer and this is what i thought:
    bmcryp - inhibits prl and prl supresses gonadotrophins, so bmrcryp should raise Gn?!
    what do u feel?
  11. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Yes...but in Q they are mentioning some specific condition...like ...it's release in puerperium is enhanced.....well...I never came across this use of Bromocryptine in my pg... did u?Let's search on google :wink:
    Well...can u say ab't Q-22 option'c' - HPL is essential for milk synthesis- I think it shd be true ...it is lactogenic... and it also has small amount of growth stimulating activity...
  12. Guest

Guest Guest

the only reason one would wanna gve brmcryp in puerperiumis to suppress lactation - so either ways maybe it does enhance Gn release.
    we have used bromocryptine puerperium for suppression of lactn

ok, q on hpl: initally i marked it as ture consireding its importance onthe same gorunds u mentioned - but wht abt gyn condts liek galatorrhea wher we do have milk secrn, but no hpl - so then is it essential????? perhaps not. what do u feel?
  13. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Agreed wuth u on both the points :)
  14. Shipra

Shipra Guest

In Q-25, paper-1 -- option 'a' can be true. Effect of adrenaline on uterus depends on gestational status. It causes myometrial contraction in non pregnant uterus while causes relaxation( only at term) in pregnant uterus.Contraction is mediated through alpha receptors while relaxation is mediated by beta receptors...so it may cause either of the two...Pls check.
  15. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Also option 'c' Adrenaline constricts the pupil shd be true. Adrenaline has got both alpha and beta effects ( Ref: De Swiet)
  16. Shipra

Shipra Guest

In Q-38 paper-1 -- option'b' gonococcus will grow in anaerobic conditions is true...I found in my text of microbio-- Though gonococci are aerobic ,they may grow anaerobically also..
  17. Shipra

Shipra Guest

In Q-40, paper-1 -- option 'b' i.e. thyroxine and 'd' i.e. propanol shd be false. Congenital goitre is a sporadic condition which results from administration of antithyroid drugs( which inhibit hormone synthesis) like propylthiouracil and carbimazole and iodides ( which inhibit hormone release). And this goitre usually disappears on administration of thyroxine.(Ref: Ghai ) .... I couldn't find anywhere relation between propranolol and congenital goitre...Can u pls confirm?
  18. Shipra

Shipra Guest

In Q-16, paper-1 -- option 'a' shd be true. As iodine requirements are the same in pregnancy as in non pregnant state which is 150 microgm. /day . I could find nowhere that requirement of iodine is increased or altered in pregnancy...Pls check.
  19. Shipra

Shipra Guest

In Q-14, paper-1 - option 'c' shd be false as ducts of bartholin's gland open below the level of hymen on the inner side of labium minus.
  20. Shipra

Shipra Guest

In Q-8, paper-1 -- 'c' is true for sure.
  21. Shipra

Shipra Guest

In Q-7, paper-1 -- option 'd' shd be false. ( Ref - De swiet) for eg. Atropine which is an anticholinergic causes dilatation of pupil...hence reverse wud be true for parasympathetic effect. Pls check.
  22. roni

roni Guest

Paper 1
    Q 9 choice c
    i think that the ureter crosses the genitofemoral nerve but does not passes above it.

Q 20 E
    it is DHT that stimulates the growht of the prstate not testosterone.

Q 27 A
    are you sure that GH is a protein because it is 191 amino acids and i don't know if this number can mount to be called a protein.

Q 30 A
    corticosterone receptor is inside the cell cytoplasmic.

Q 33 A
    the gram positive can cause a septic shock .

Q 36 AE
    the mycobacteria are aerobes and im not sure about E.

Q 41
    Ergotamind is an alpha blocker

paper 2
    Q4 C
    i don't think that plasma concentration are increased after protein ingestion because i think that creatinine levels are a measurement of the kidney's function, and if they increase there is something wrong in the kidney.

Q7 A
    Iron is altered to the ferrous before absorption and to the ferric after that, so the question must be true.

Q13 B
    concerning glycolysis most of the reactions occur in the cytoplasm.

Q20 BC
    testicular feminisation genotype male and phenotype female
    renal agenesis i don't think it's related to any change in phenotype.

Q27 E
    i am not sure but plasma cells are not included in my book as a phagocyte, and can you please comment about what are Hoffbauer cells.

Q28
    please comment why you marked it all True.

Q29 C
    i believe that asbestose is the responsible of pleural mesothelioma, but wood dust ???? can you comment.

Q36 D
    is true but not sure about the rest can you comment.

Q37 B
    there is an increase in other haemoglobin types like the HBF AND HBA2.

Q 38 B
    can you comment???

Q44 E
    the total body water is predominantly intracellular.

Q48C
    in acidaemia of renal failure the respiration would try to compensate and the PCO2 would fall.
  23. Shipra

Shipra Guest

paper-1 q-9 'c' - In last's anatomy it's written ureter crosses infront of genitofemoral n. ...does it mean the same as ' it passes ( crosses) above ( infront of) it...
  24. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-1 ,20- E -- U r definitely right but dihydrotestosterone is also derived from testosterone only...here in this Q ,I think we shd not go that deeper.. as other options are very general. and in general if we speak of functions of testosterone ...we say yes it is responsible for the growth of sexual organs in male...I don't know how far I m right ... waiting for Ruby's comment. :roll:
  25. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Paper-1 ,27 -A -- I agree with u on this...it's not a protein...it's a peptide
  26. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Again agree with u Roni on Q-30 paper-1 A
  27. Shipra

Shipra Guest

paper-1 33 A - agreed ! Thanx for correction. :oops:
  28. shipra

shipra Guest

q-36 paper-1 Mycobacterium Smegmatis and Phlei are not pathogenic in human. I confirmed it from my medicine text.I agree with u on ' aerobes'
  29. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Ergometrine is a partial agonist and practically no antagonist action on alpha adrenergic receptors. Even ergotamine has a partial agonist partial antagonist action on alpha receptors. And Ergometrine as is well known causes myometrial contraction...this uterotonic action is believed to be due to it's partial agonistic action on alpha receptors and 5 HT-2 receptors on myometrium.
  30. Shipra

Shipra Guest

paper-2 4 C - I agree with u - u probably sound right...till now found this much only creatinine excretion is a function of muscle mass and 24 hr excretion in a subject is remarkably constant from day to day and is proportionate to muscle mass...but couldn't find anywhere factors controlling its serum concentration....ruby pls comment :?:
  31. Shipra

Shipra Guest

paper-2 7A - agreed...thanx for correcting us.
  32. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Q-13 paper-2 B This has been discussed earlier in this thread...ruby had corrected her ans.
  33. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Agreed with u roni on q-20 paper-2 ...Ruby can u pls explain it..thanx.
  34. Shipra

Shipra Guest

U r right Roni...ab't Q28 paper-2 -- Plasma cells are actually antibody secreting cells derived from activated B lymphocyte cells. And they arent capable of phagocytosis. Hoffbauer cells are phagocytic cells found in placental stroma....these are actually tissue macrophages like Kupffer cells in liver, langerhan's cell in epidermis etc.
  35. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Q-28 paper -2 this has been discussed earlier in this thread...pls go thru it.
  36. Shipra

Shipra Guest

29 C paper-2 -- U r right Roni...it shd be false
  37. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Q-36 D paper-2 shd be false as plateletes are derived from megakaryocyte and not from myeloblast. Plateletes are 2-4 microns in diameter, their cytoplasm contain actin,myosin,glycogen,lysosomes and dense and alpha granules. Plateletes produce plat. derived growth factor which stimulates wound healing and is a potent mitogen for vascular smooth muscle. Last option is well known...hope that helps...
  38. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Q-37 paper-2 - this has been discussed earlier in this thread
  39. Shipra

Shipra Guest

38-B paper-2 -- As sodium concentration decreases in pregnancy...to compensate for it na reabsorption might be increased...other way we can think of is that...there are increased levels of aldosterone in pregnancy...this may lead to increased absorption of sodium in pregnant females... :roll: what do u say??
  40. Shipra

Shipra Guest

44-e paper-2 has been discussed and u r right roni.
  41. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Probably u r correct Roni in ur last Q- its a case of metabolic acidosis for which respiration wud try to compensate by hyperventilation leading to decreased Pco2.
  42. roni

roni Guest

you are right platelets are derived from megakaryocyte but megakaryocyte themselves are derived from mixed myeloid progenitor cell which is derived from pluripotential stem cell. the other second major ancestral cell line derived from the pluripotential stem cell is the lymphoid stemm cell.

thank you very much for the platelets explanation i appreciate it. :D
  43. Shipra

Shipra Guest

The earliest precursor of plateletes is megakaryoblast while myeloblast is the earliest recogniseable precursor of granulocytes which include polymorphonuclear leukocytes and monocytes.
  44. Guest

Guest Guest

sorry shipra and roni - didnt log on yestr , pls giveme some time, will go thru the discussion onthe forum and get back
    thx
  45. Guest

Guest Guest

k... willanswer some offhand,on the rest, wil have to cross check and get back
    [i]In Q-25, paper-1 -- option 'a' can be true. Effect of adrenaline on uterus depends on gestational status. It causes myometrial contraction in non pregnant uterus while causes relaxation( only at term) in pregnant uterus.Contraction is mediated through alpha receptors while relaxation is mediated by beta receptors...so it may cause either of the two...Pls check.[/i]u r right - agree with u

In Q-38 paper-1 -- option'b' gonococcus will grow in anaerobic conditions is true...I found in my text of microbio-- Though gonococci are aerobic ,they may grow anaerobically also..
    r u sure abt the nisseriea gonococcus on the anaerobic or is it a generalized statement on gonococcus? i dont have a micro text here, so pls confirm this for me

In Q-40, paper-1 -- option 'b' i.e. thyroxine and 'd' i.e. propanol shd be false. Congenital goitre is a sporadic condition which results from administration of antithyroid drugs( which inhibit hormone synthesis) like propylthiouracil and carbimazole and iodides ( which inhibit hormone release). And this goitre usually disappears on administration of thyroxine.(Ref: Ghai ) .... I couldn't find anywhere relation between propranolol and congenital goitre...Can u pls confirm?

agree with t4, propanolol- dont knwowhere i got that answer form, wil check and getback- i think thought the answer is false, its known t cause fetal bradycardia and iugr, not congenital goitre

In Q-16, paper-1 -- option 'a' shd be true. As iodine requirements are the same in pregnancy as in non pregnant state which is 150 microgm. /day . I could find nowhere that requirement of iodine is increased or altered in pregnancy...Pls check.
    quoting williams obtet: page 234: in non pregnant = 150mcg, in preg it is 175; in lactating it is 200mcg - so requitrementis increased.

In Q-14, paper-1 - option 'c' shd be false as ducts of bartholin's gland open below the level of hymen on the inner side of labium minus. - u r right, i agree

In Q-7, paper-1 -- option 'd' shd be false. ( Ref - De swiet) for eg. Atropine which is an anticholinergic causes dilatation of pupil...hence reverse wud be true for parasympathetic effect. Pls check.
    - u r right

Q 9 choice c i think that the ureter crosses the genitofemoral nerve but does not passes above it. - it does
    coz its efinitely not under it or below it

Q 20 E it is DHT that stimulates the growht of the prstate not testosterone. - agree with what shipra says, besides we do consider anti-testosterone treatment options inthese patients as it is hormone (T) dependent

Q 27 A are you sure that GH is a protein because it is 191 amino acids and i don't know if this number can mount to be called a protein. - what constitutes protein? and i read that >100 amino acids is called a protein, 10 - 100aa = polypeptide

Q 33 A the gram positive can cause a septic shock . - they say czusative org are invariably - does that mean always? dont think so, so i answered true - any coments??

Q27 E i am not sure but plasma cells are not included in my book as a phagocyte, and can you please comment about what are Hoffbauer cells. - these cells are macrophages found in villous str of placenta. i think plasma cells is false

Q4 C i don't think that plasma concentration are increased after protein ingestion because i think that creatinine levels are a measurement of the kidney's function, and if they increase there is something wrong in the kidney.
    paper-2 4 C - I agree with u - u probably sound right...till now found this much only creatinine excretion is a function of muscle mass and 24 hr excretion in a subject is remarkably constant from day to day and is proportionate to muscle mass...but couldn't find anywhere factors controlling its serum concentration....ruby pls comment
    -

not sure, will check an get back

Q28 please comment why you marked it all True. - well there was a discussionon this earlier - iam not too sure abt clear cell, but some have shown to cause a rise in ca 125 - depends onsite of clear cell ca. also for ost- sarcoma - alp has been mentioned, btu i am not sure of these answers as they have used the word characteristic inthe question, so i think its best to go with flase, as these are not characteristic in both these cases.

Q29 C i believe that asbestose is the responsible of pleural mesothelioma, but wood dust ???? can you comment. - causes br asthma and nasal and lung cnacer. http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/4/6/583, one of the articels u can go thru.
    The IARC (International Agency for Research into Cancer), after researching nasal cancer among woodworkers in Europe, has classified wood dust a human carcinogen.
    this is quote from : http://unionsafe.labor.net.au/hazards/107413937128257.html

Q48C in acidaemia of renal failure the respiration would try to compensate and the PCO2 would fall. - will check and get back

Agreed with u roni on q-20 paper-2 ...Ruby can u pls explain it..thanx. - found only one article where it lists potters syndrome to have presented with ambig genitali an since thier question states: may not correspond - i will go with true for this answer.
    if u notice, most of the MAY questions are true- they are not saying characteristic, etc here for which they want a more definite uual presentation.

38-B paper-2 -- As sodium concentration decreases in pregnancy...to compensate for it na reabsorption might be increased...other way we can think of is that...there are increased levels of aldosterone in pregnancy...this may lead to increased absorption of sodium in pregnant females... what do u say?? - agree adn thats why true

well, the others shipra has been kind wnough to reply. will see what i can findout on the ones i need to get back on. thx
  46. Guest

Guest Guest

Q-40, paper-1 -- option 'b' i.e. thyroxine and 'd' i.e. propanol shd be false.
    agree with ur answers
  47. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Hi Ruby,

Can u pls confirm ur ans to Q45, paper-2 , Sep 2001-- Adrenaline acts primarily on Vasomotor centre -- u marked as true. i think it shd be false .. Adrenaline acts chiefly upon peripheral arterioles, to increase b.p. ...the direct stimulants of VMC are hypoxia and hypercapnia. I received this correction from one of my friends just now..
  48. ahadidy

ahadidy Guest

please send my the question

I wonder If any body can send my the march 2001 mcqs , u are discussing the answers but i cant find the q anywhere
    please send it to me at
    <dr_hadidy@hotmail.com>
  49. Shipra

Shipra Guest

Hi there,
    These Q are present in RCOG's past Q paper book...u may find it in amazon.co.uk or RCOG bookshop. As there's very less time left ,its not possible to type Q now..
  50. Guest

Guest Guest

hi shipra - u r right onthis answer. its action for bp regulation is peripheral. sorry for the confusion