an advise how to improove your usmle 1 result

Discussion in 'USMLE STEP 1' started by ashish-, Jul 11, 2005.

1. ashish-

ashish- Guest

Hi ,

I finished Step 1 a few months ago. My score was–99-- (I could not believe it when I was holding the card and I almost fainted).

I used so many resources for my study, but I have to say that KAPLAN IS THE BEST. I was working as a salesman, for a few months before I decided finally to stay home and study (of course I had some money saved aside at the time).

When I started to study, I though that getting over 85 is just a dream but I made it all the way to 99. It’s all about the resources that you use and the amount of concentration that you have when you sit down on your desk and study. If you want to score over 90 you will do it, but if you just want to pass, your score will be around the passing limit.

As much adrenaline as you have in your body when you sit down to study, as much added points to your score you will get.

Here is the list of my study materials:

1--Kaplan preparation center video lectures (about 194 hours) and it’s the latest edition in the center as of May 2005. I have to tell you that I would never have gotten this score without these video lectures.

2--Kaplan notes scanned on the external hard disc (2002 Edition and it has no markings). These notes helped my so much especially the few days before the test when I needed to review each subject in just one day.

3--A complete set of underground clinical vignettes. Understanding the clinical applications of Step 1 has helped me to read the questions on the test so quickly and even expect what they are asking me before reading the final part.

4--Dr. Goljan Notes and high yields facts and Pathology slides (all scanned on the hard disc). Dr. Goljan is the father of Pathology preparation for step 1 and his stuff is a must if you want to score high.

5-Kaplan Pathology library organized in body systems (I saw a lot of slides and picture on my test).

6--Kaplan Webpreparation (missing Anatomy) with their own notes.

7--Pharmacology, Pathology and genetics live audio lecture recorded from Kaplan live lectures. I had these tapes from one of my friends who finished his step 1 and scored 94 and he encouraged me to use them if I want to ace these topics on the test and he was absolutely right.

8--One CD with more than 3500 questions in Pathology. It made Pathology for me like the air I breath.

9--My own tips and remembered high yield facts and topics that I personally saw on the test. I wrote down more than 2500 topics and tips the week right after the test.

10--Kaplan Qbank in Microsoft word format. ( AGAIN KAPLAN IS THE BEST)

11-NMS software for step 1 (6th Edition).

12—A Complete set of Rapid review CD’s (more than 3500 questions arranged by the subject).

13—Kaplan IV bank.

14—Pre-test books (only Biochemistry, genetics, Pathology and neuroscience).

15—More than 10,000 questions and tips remembered by other students that I used to concentrate on what to study.

16—Board simulator software for step 1.

17—Mnemonics that help you remember the hard to remember facts.

18—Some diagrams, charts and flash cards, I personally made during my 9 months study.

19_Gold standard audio review CD’s (55 CD’s) for step 1 (complete). I have used these CD’s during my exercise in the Gym and in other times when I was so saturated and bored from studying and needed a different format of studying.

20—Pass program notes (over 200 pages of tips, high yields, and high lights) it took me just 4 days to read all over these great material and I would say that it added at least 3-5 points to my score.

20__More stuff that I have prepared myself over the months during the time I was studying and even after I have finished my exam and before the results came in the mail. cheers
  2. paulyn_md

paulyn_md Guest

3. ata

ata Guest

buying your usmle stuff

Dear Dr,

I am in UK and very pleased by your complete explanation about the references.Even a copy of ypur stuff will be worthfull for me.I am in desperate need of them.
    My email is: atahafshar@yahoo.com

Best regards

Ata
  4. Yan

Yan Guest

DVD with videos

Dr. Ashish congratulation!!

I am going to take step 1 and I would like to have the videos. Would you be able to provide them to me? It would help me a lot ...
    I appreciate,

Yan
  5. RAMKUMAR

RAMKUMAR Guest

USMLE KAPLAN VIDEO LECTURES

HI

I WOULD LIKE A COPY OF KAPLAN VIDEO LECTURES FOR STEP 1 , PLEASE EMAIL ME WITH THE PRICE , I AM IN UK NOW

RAM
  6. RAMKUMAR

RAMKUMAR Guest

7. Gigi

Gigi Guest

I would like the step 1 video too

Hello, I would like to buy the Kaplan step 1 video, do you still have a compy. My email address is usmlesoon@hotmail.com

Gigi
  8. sumal

sumal Guest

congrats ashish

i wud like to know wht books did u study for immunology ,i completed taking my kaplan course for 3 months,as i was recently married i didnt take the course seriously.i just went thru the tapes and completed them,but from nowonwards i want to prepare seriously,so pls help me with all the books necessary and sites

pls consider as a request and reply

bye
  9. wangqiang

wangqiang Guest

10. abedox

abedox Guest

need help

[hello i am from egypt i want to know how the pictures come in test ? i mean gross and micrscopic pictures specially and how can i do them best and about the gold standard tapes i never heard of them and are they really useful ? plases people who want to help me add me abedox@hotmail.com or abedox@yahoo.com
  11. docsk

docsk Guest

congrats

congrats to u Dr Ashish.
    I needed kaplan lecture videos if u have & NMS questions.
    Also the CD u have.
    Kindly tell me how to get it.
    my email is docsk@hotmail.com
    Thanks
  12. Guest

Guest Guest

Dr. Ashish congratulation!!

Sir i am a doctor in delhi and am interested in giving USMLE exam

i read your letter and i think you would help me by providing your guidance and preparation material.

I would like to have the videos and the Q bank and all that you can provide me . Would you be able to provide them to me? It would really help me to start preparation for USMLE 1 .

I appreciate,

Gaurav
  13. Guest

Guest Guest

14. Guest

Guest Guest

abt patholkogy cds

hi!this is amaan. can u just tel me frm wer can i get 3500 q path cd.
    plzzz... reply soon. my email is dramaan3890@yahoo.com
  15. testli

testli Guest

materials

congratulations!
    can you email me the price if I buy your kaplan vedio lectures and notes and all your other CDs, my email is testli_testli@yahoo.com
  16. ashley

ashley Guest

videos

Hi

Congratulations! You must have studied very, very hard. I was wondering if you could sell me the lectures. My email is delphynium@yahoo.com
    Thank you

Ashley
  17. leo

leo Guest

Give me all.

Hi AASHISH,
    WHAT DUDE U JUST FRIGHTENED ME WITH THE EFFORT U MADE TO GET 99.ARE U TRYING FOR SURGERY OR OPTHO....ANYWAY UR GOOD SCORE WAS ON THE CARDS FOR U AS U DESERVED IT.
    I TOO WANT TO DO THAT BUT CAN NOT DO IT WITHOUT UR LITTLE HELP.CONTACT ME ON namaste_leo@yahoo.co.in
    GET ME ALL THE MATERIAL WHAT U CAN GIVE IT TO ME....THANKING U IN ANTICIPATION.WILL KEEP U IN PRAYERS....IF U HELP ME OUT.
    CONTACT ME SOON.
    OR ANYBODY WHO IS READING THIS GET IN TOUCH FOR MUTUAL BENEFIT.COME ON FRIENDS. :wink:
  18. friend

friend Guest

This sounds fishy?? Please read from other website

I got 99 on my USMLE step 1 and I want to share it

: I got 99 on my USMLE step 1 and I want to share it

Hi there: --:

I finished Step 1 a few months ago. My score was–99-- (I could not believe it when I was holding the card and I almost fainted).

I used so many resources for my study, but I have to say that KAPLAN IS THE BEST. I was working as a waiter for a few months before I decided finally to stay home and study (of course I had some money saved aside at the time).

When I started to study, I though that getting over 85 is just a dream but I made it all the way to 99. It’s all about the resources that you use and the amount of concentration that you have when you sit down on your desk and study. If you want to score over 90 you will do it, but if you just want to pass, your score will be around the passing limit.

As much adrenaline as you have in your body when you sit down to study, as much added points to your score you will get.

I’m selling all my resources and I will ship anywhere.

All of my resources are downloaded to an external hard disc that you can just plug to your computer using USB cable that comes with the hard disc along with the power supply that would work in any country as it has a universal adaptor.

Here is the list of my study materials:

3--A complete set of underground clinical vignettes that I have scanned (10 books that I bought for $199.95 on the internet) –check this ISBN: 0632045590 in www.amazon.com or www.barnesandnoble.com. Understanding the clinical applications of Step 1 has helped me to read the questions on the test so quickly and even expect what they are asking me before reading the final part.

4--Dr. Goljan Notes and high yields facts and pathology slides (all scanned on the hard disc). I have paid $ 35.00 for this book and around $25.00 for the software. Dr. Goljan is the father of pathology preparation for step 1 and his stuff is a must if you want to score high.

8--One CD with more than 3500 questions in pathology. I bough this CD for $19.99 and it made pathology for me like the air I breath. This CD comes separate as it won’t work if downloaded to the hard disc.
    9--My own tips and remembered high yield facts and topics that I personally saw on the test. I wrote down more than 2500 topics and tips the week right after the test.

11-NMS software for step 1 (6th Edition). On a separate CD. It costs about $35.00 for that CD. This CD comes separate as it won’t work if downloaded to the hard disc.

12—A Complete set of Rapid review CD’s (7CD’s downloaded to the hard disc with more than 3500 questions arranged by the subject). It costs me about $ 20.00 per 1 CD.

14—Pre-test books scanned in PDF format (only biochemistry, genetics, pathology and neuroscience). It cost me about $15.00 for each book

15—More than 10,000 questions and tips remembered by other students that I used to concentrate on what to study.

16—Board simulator software for step 1 and I pain $15.00 for this CD.

17—Mnemonics that help you remember the hard to remember facts.

18—Some diagrams, charts and flash cards, I personally made during my 9 months study.
    19_Gold standard audio review CD’s (55 CD’s) for step 1 (complete) that cost me about $309 just to buy and I have also included all the notes and content guide that came with it. These CD’s (55) are in the form on a question then pause then the answer. I have used these CD’s during my exercise in the Gym and in other times when I was so saturated and bored from studying and needed a different format of studying. All of them are downloaded in the hard disc but you can still burn them to a CD.
    20—Pass program notes in text format (over 200 pages of tips, high yields, and high lights) it took me just 4 days to read all over these great material and I would say that it added at least 3-5 points to my score.
    20__More stuff in this external hard disc that I have prepared myself over the months during the time I was studying and even after I have finished my exam and before the results came in the mail.

Everything will be on that external hard disc that has a capacity of about 80 Gigabytes and about 20 Gigabytes are free if you need to use it. Please keep in mind that this external hard disc cost me about $ 100 dollars just to buy

The whole collection could be yours: ( Email me to find out if I have sold this collection anyway)

IFINISHMYUSMLE@YAHOO.COM (It says: I FINISH MY USMLE, but no spaces and I’m with Y A H O O)

Please keep in mind that I’m very busy these days and I might take a few days to reply, so just be patient please– just emails

The price is $300.00 (three hundred) plus $ 25.00 shipping (anywhere in the USA and worldwide is $25.00 extra for the shipping) payment will be through Western Union ONLY.

You will not need to have a DEE VEE DEE drive on your computer to view the contents of this external hard disc. Just a CD drive for the separate CD’s

You will have all the resources that I have used and prepared personally and the other resources that other students have prepared also and the package is priceless, but if you want to translate this in terms of money I would say that you will have materials that are worth more than $ 15,000 ( Fifteen thousand dollars). You will pay only $ 300 plus shipping and handling.

[
  19. leo

leo Guest

HEY DUDE,
    UR LONG LIST IS GOOD TO IMPRESS ANYBODY.BUT U CAN IMPRESS US MORE BY JUST SHARING THEM WITHOUT ANY COST ATTACHED TO IT.REMEMBER KNOWLEDGE SHARED IS KNOWLEDGE GAINED.
    TAKE CARE BYE
    LEO
  20. irianman2002

irianman2002 Guest

Congratulations!

Kindly e-mail me with info on how to get the 1st. class study materials that you mention here! My e-mail is:

irianman2002@yahoo.com
  21. Guest

Guest Guest

hi ,
    i have decided to take USMLE PART1 and was going through the forum when i read your's. Congrates!!! it seems lot many people have already asked you for the materials. but sill if you have a copy please let me know the price of the lecture series DVD/CD that you have . also if you think i can purchase it from some shop or online from somewhere please let me know the site or ploace. you would be like a god send for me if you could help with these information.
    enjoy !!!
  22. Guest

Guest Guest

buddy,ur list of essentials is so depressing. :wink:
  23. kaasu

kaasu Guest

24. sukha

sukha Guest

hi

congratulations Dr. Ashish.

you have done great,it shows all your hard work in the preparation.
    i am also giving step 1 in april.

i donot have any source of goljan slides.

could you please tell me how to procure it or else please mail me to khanalsuraj@gmail.com if you can do that for me .

bye
  25. Hi

I would like to take up USMLE coaching in Hyderabad.Can you guide with details of centre,Duration of course, Expenditure
  26. Guest

Guest Guest

hi,congratulatin doctor.you must be a smart one.
    i'm from MYANMAR,now in taiwan .so you know i can't afford any expensive things like you mentioned .so if you can send me the notes or CD to me ,it would be a great for me.
    my mail is kzawhtun@gmail.com.
    GOD BLESS YOU
  27. rafael

rafael Guest

uslme videos lectures

hello
    Congratulations
    If possible please send me those videos and all the material you have i am from brasil and i really want to take the test
    thanks already
    Rafael
    rpmboi@hotmail.com
  28. Guest

Guest Guest

10 000 q and notes

congrats my friend,

can I get the 10 000 Qs of student who attended the test and also your 2500 precious topics ,,PLZ?

all the best to u in your residency and tell me if u need any connections!

my e mail:

rajkumar3333@yahoo.com

Raj
  29. drvik

drvik Guest

help

hi! i took the step 1 on the 3rd of april, no news about the result as yet,even on oasis,around what time is thescore reported on oasis?
  30. Dr.Irum

Dr.Irum Guest

material required

Respected Dr. I am MBBS from K.E.M.C Pakistan. I am going to appear in USMLE step 1 in the end of this year but I am unable to buy and access the helping material and CD,s related to it. I belong to a mediocre family where resources are less than expenditures. Please help me in this context. Thanks in advance.
    My mail is irum_39@yahoo.com :roll:
  31. Guest

Guest Guest

congrats man
    i am pradeep
    i need to know how to get the usmle study materials....
    please help me

my email id:pradi_85@yahoo.com
  32. Guest

Guest Guest

DID YOU LEFT ANY THING ELSE.[/b]
  33. Guest

Guest Guest

I really appreciate it
  34. safinaz

safinaz Guest

kaplan

hi,

i would be very greatful if those kaplan dvds are still available. would you help me please.

moonia.
    e mail- moonia_dmc@hotmail.com
  35. Guest

Guest Guest

help is appreciated

please if u have unwanted USMLE material contact me on

fathiaak@hotmail.com

is it worth it to subscribe for comprehensive Kaplan course? its too expensive around 4000 dollars?

how about score95 course is it any good?

regards
  36. satishraj

satishraj Guest

USMLE STEP 1

Hi
    Thanks for your crisp explanation. Can you guide me through. Are you preparing for Step 2 now [ck & cs]. Where u r planning to do it.
    my email id is <gosubbu@rediffmail.com>
  37. snehamodi

snehamodi Guest

congrates

hi
    first of all..congrates n thank u so much for this helpful content
  38. Guest

Guest Guest

Schedule

Ashish,

My problem is getting overwhelmed with the amount we need to study and the large number of resources to use.

Do you have a schedule or any recommendation for organizing my studies?

I would Really appreciate it. Thanks so much.
  39. Guest

Guest Guest

CONGRATS :) ,
    I AM DOING MY INTERNSHIP, I HAVE STARTED WITH HIGH YIELD EMBROYOLOGY AND KAPLANS ANATOMY NOTES AND VIDEOS.

PLEASE GUIDE ME MORE AND WHAT IMPORTANT THINGS TO FOCUS ON FOR STEP 1.

DO TELL ME FROM WHERE TO READ THE IMMUNOLOGY SECTION.

WITH REGARDS,
    ABHIPRAY GAHLOWT.
    abhipraygahlowt@yahoo.com
  40. Guest

Guest Guest

41. Guest17645

Guest17645 Guest

USMLE- Thanks and blessing for what you shared.

Thanks, good hints and concrete advice. My exam will be different, but end result is good patient care. Thanks again, Guest
  42. titli

titli Guest

kaplan video lectures

cud u write me the price for kaplan video lectures?
  43. Guest

Guest Guest

44. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi
    Congrats

Can u possibly help me with the goljan notes and clinical vignettes and path slides.my id is

nehapgupta@hotmail.com.

thankyou.
  45. kiran123

kiran123 Guest

study material

hi ashish,
    i m preparing for step 1.
    i did kaplan dvd lectures and now studyin at home.
    i m doing goljan's pathology.
    i dont know where to get rest of the material from.

i have to write the test in dec.
    i m very apprehensive.

can u help me?
    kiran
  46. karishma

karishma Guest

study material

hey congratulations!!

can u please tell me how the stategy for study shld be?
    do u also have hansen's biochemistry tape?

dr.karisma@gmail.com

karishma
  47. drmdSharif

drmdSharif Guest

plz help me to start step1

sir am doing 3rd year mbbs in Russia.i dont have any mateliyal to prepare.when i searched in internet.i unable to get free materials.if u have material step 1,plz sent me in this email addres drmdsharif@yahoo.com
  48. pallaviii

pallaviii Guest

congrats!
    that sure is an exhaustive list of what to read ...i really hoped it to be short and sweet!lol!
  49. shak

shak Guest

path question cd

where did u get the cd with 3500 path questions ? and the undergound vignettes ??
  50. Guest

Guest Guest

Dr. Ashish,

Firstly, congrats over ur achievement in the Step 1. I'm currently studying in Moscow, Russia, and I would like to know if u still have the study materials u used. It would be great if u could let me know how much it'll cost to get them frm u.

I'm reachable at roopa_nair@hotmail.co.uk

Hoping to hear frm u soon

Regards,
    Roopa