BDS will be a five-year course

Discussion in 'Dental PG MDS IQE MFDS ADC Exams' started by Deepa., Jan 5, 2008.

1. Deepa.

Deepa. Guest

BDS will be a five-year course

Students have to pay fee for an additional year

Internship converted into an academic year

BANGALORE: Dental students will have to grin and bear it for one more year when duration of the Bachelor of Dental Sciences course will be extended from four to five years, converting the one-year internship into an academic year, from 2008.

While the Government has completed its negotiations regarding the seat matrix and fee structures, there has been no mention or announcement regarding the extension of course duration.

The Union Government issued a gazette notification to all State governments in September last stating that the academic course would be extended to five years, thereby implying that the fifth year of internship would be converted to an academic year.

This means the students will have to pay fees for five years instead of four, and they cannot look forward to earning stipends during their internship. According to the current fee structure, students in government dental colleges have to pay Rs. 25,000 a year and those in private colleges up to Rs. 2.3 lakh a year. An extension of the course will translate into an extension of the fee burden on students. Universities have issued notifications to dental colleges in this regard, but there was no mention of this development in the discussions on fee structures held this earlier this week.

“As an academic, my only worry is whether this will be a stepping stone for colleges to claim course fees for one extra year, thereby burdening the student further. This point should have been discussed and considered before the fee structure was announced,†Kumar S., Executive Secretary of the Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka, said.

“The notification was given to us in September 2007 and we did not want to complicate matters by implementing it after the course had started. It will certainly be implemented from this year,†Vasanth Kumar, Registrar of Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, said. Having had no debate on this issue, it means that students, from the 2008 batch, will be paying the prescribed fees for all five years.

Besides extending the duration and making internship part of the course, the syllabus has also been upgraded. “The course was outdated and had not been revised since the 1983 BDS Regulation. This new syllabus follows the ‘comprehensive dentistry’ approach and is on par with modern dentistry,†Nagesh K.S., Principal of R.V. Dental College and ex-member of Dental Council of India, said.

Regarding the termination of the one-year internship, most academics said that internships were not serving their purpose. “Many of the ill-equipped colleges were happy with the four-year structure because they did not have adequate tables or facility to give them hands-on training. But the additional year was simply being misused by students as there was no evaluation system for this period,†Mr. Kumar said.
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

hi mam, I'm a dental student from Nepal. Here we have a 5 and half year course for BDS. Something different. :D
  3. MG42

MG42 Guest

BDS

Hello, i am a dental student from Kerala, here BDS course is of 4 and half years + 1 year internship. effectively 5 & 1/2 years. so it may be a relief to shrink the course to 5 years. But to take away internship is well, the most stupidest decision ever since dentistry was instituted as a subject
    worthy to be taught with a syllabus. HUMBUG!!!! USELESS WASTE
  4. MG42

MG42 Guest

BDS

Hello, i am a dental student from Kerala, here BDS course is of 4 and half years + 1 year internship. effectively 5 & 1/2 years. so it may be a relief to shrink the course to 5 years. But to take away internship is well, the most stupidest decision ever since dentistry was instituted as a subject
    worthy to be taught with a syllabus. HUMBUG!!!!
  5. Anon

Anon Guest

Syllabus

Where can i get the updated syllabus for the BDS course??
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

I m really surprised about the Indian dental students community for not raisisng their voice again scrapping the internship from BDS CURRICULUM.
    I would like to mention a point here without Intership part No other part of the world would recognise in Indian BDS DEGREE and most of the abrod dreams would be shattered
    Hence I strongly recommend students to make protest against this unwanted steps taken by money launderers.

A Well wisher
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

where can i get new syllabus for complete dentistry course?
  8. parameshndc

parameshndc Guest

syllabus 4 bds new regulations

can i know the syllabus 4 bds new regulations
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi....I am a 12th standard student. Thanks for your information. I am searching for this. My plans are to do BDS in future. Your information will helps me to take enough plans for doing so.
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

hie ,ma'm cud u juz temme frm where 2 gt the new syllabus brouche 4 bds 1 yr.???
  11. liss

liss Guest

To know about the job oppertunity in BD & the fees

respecred mam
    now i am studting in plus two.after plus two i decided to join for BDS .how was thi course ? iwant to know more about the fees stucture.if you dont mind please reply answer to my question.
  12. kamla

kamla Guest

5th yr syallabus

is E.N.T and forensic scince have been added in new syallabus.[/b]
  13. Guest

Guest Guest

:oops: :roll: :idea:
  14. Guest

Guest Guest

PLEASE ANNOUNCE THE SYLLABUS AND BENIFITS WIT 5 YEAR COURSE OF BDS.PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
    :( :( :( :(
  15. A......

A...... Guest

hiiii. i want to knw d purpose of 5 year bds course without internship.? what was d reason for this change?
  16. Guest

Guest Guest

HAVE ENT IS ADDED IN OUR 5 YEAR COURSE
  17. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi myself is a dental student.i had gone through the hole syllabus no additional subjects r added,only few topics r added...i want to say that their is no need to add 1 acadmic year.more over if it is added this is to be ensure that fees for 5th should not to be charged.
  18. dr.surya

dr.surya Guest

hi friends

hi friends.i am dr.surya from chennai.bds has been totally changed only for the money.so there is no house surgeon from the 2008 batch.if any one likes to join now means get ready to pay some extra fees...
  19. ur

ur Guest

what confuses me is that r v gona becom better doctors by studying an xtra yr than our seniors we shud get more practical kowlege rather than lenghtening our academic course :? :?
  20. Guest

Guest Guest

hi mam.m dental student from udaipur.i wnt 2 ask dat v need community in each nd every subjects as d base..so y its trnsfrd in 5th year.?
  21. Rajesh Saagar

Rajesh Saagar New Member

How is the internship opportunities for dental students in Bangalore dental institutes?