dentistry in canada

Discussion in 'Dental PG MDS IQE MFDS ADC Exams' started by dr.dana, Apr 5, 2008.

1. dr.dana

dr.dana Guest

hi i,m a dentist from india,and would lijke to work in canada, i've alredy checked out the site and already downloaded the forms,for NDBE but i'm not clear about the IELTS score required to give this exam, and steps to be taken first. Please help. :cry:
  2. Can Dent

Can Dent Guest

dentistry in canada

Hello there,

I am a recent Canadian graduate from dental school (not an international student) and wanted to give you a few cautionary thoughts before you embarking on this journey.

I think that being a dentist in Canada is great and if you are well prepared then there is an opportunity for you. However, unfortunately I know of so many professionals (not just dentists) who have this idea of what working in Canada is like and become disappointed or disillusioned after spending a great deal of time, effort and money to get here and finding that their degrees are not recognized.

I graduated from the University of British Columbia with 10 "international students" who were already qualified dentists from outside of Canada and the US. I am not sure if you are aware but if you did not graduate from an accredited university in Canada or the US you will need to complete at least a two year program before being licensed in Canada. The approximate cost of these two years was in the neighborhood of ~$120,000 CAN depending on which university you attend. (I'm not sure how much it is now, but I doubt that it is less). I do not know how many people applied for these 10 positions at UBC each year but I do now that it is VERY competitive. There are entrance exams and an interview that count towards the admissions process.

On the positive side, if you do get admitted then Canadian banks are very eager to lend you the money to complete your dental degree. Furthermore, once you have your license then you will find that there job opportunities (especially in the medium to smaller cities) and little discrimination for minorities (I am one myself). Dentists here are reasonably well compensated and you should be able to pay off your loans within 3-4 years.

Best of luck with your future and I hope that although I didn't answer your question, that this gave you some insight on what it is like here in Canada.
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

hii

hi canadian dentist,
    thanks for providing such useful information.

i am a dentist from india. i was going thru the official site of NDEB of canada and found few informations
    1)the graduation should be completed within 5 yrs of taking the NDEB exams
    2) to take the NDEB exam, we need to have a PR (permanant residency) of canada.
    is it tru
  4. dr.preet

dr.preet Guest

indian dentist in canada

hello...

I am an indian dentist...shortly moving to canada.....
    wanted to know the procedure about dentistry...
    what all exam I need to give to practice as a Dentist in Canada....
    I know about the EE but from where do i get the material....

I have the list of books also...
    but if any short cut..because i do not have much time left...thanks[/b]
  5. guest32

guest32 Guest

Iam a dentist from india who moved to canada . i took the qualifying exam for the first time. Scored 87% , the highest this year is 91 , but even with this score i am not guaranteed a seat. The competition is fierce.

I am working, i have a family to look after. I prepared for this exam since may of 2008 , took the exam on may 2009. studied on the average 2-3 hours a day for the last year.
    What i am trying to tell you here is that you have to be prepared psychologically, to get fustrated again and again.
    But with hard work and perseverance you will be able to make it. It is up to you to decide if it is worth all the efort and time and hardship that you will definitely go through.

My family was very very supportive through this,And i feel guilty at times for dragging them through this, but there are times when my wife gets impatient, hehehe.. and i owe it to them to become successful in this endevour.

Like some one posted above it will cost a great deal as well. but money can be replaced you can never replace time
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

urgent..........pls reply sum1

hi i m a dentist in india..i just complted my bds in india..i want to do mds in canada now...could sum1 pls advice me how to do this? i mean do i have to give an exam to apply for post graduation? is my bds recognized in canada??
  7. Hey, I m an Indian Dentist BDS with 6 months of work experience. I would like to work as a dentist in Canada.. is my degree valid? I got to know from a consultancy that we need to just clear a exam to work there.
    Please someone give me further info regarding this.

Thanks in advance.