dicrotic notch

Discussion in 'Question Zone' started by Guest, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

hi everybody.

does anyone know the genesis of anacrotic and dicrotic notch in the pulse wave form?
    some say the anacrotic notch is because of the closure of the aortic valve after LV contraction --- fine . but what about the dicrotic notch?

thanks in advance.
  2. harrison

harrison Guest

good question

if you dont know the answer of this simple point, well, you dont deserve a PG seat .sorry.
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Pulse !!

Pulse

In a normal pulse there is a dicrotic wave and this is not palpable ....... it can be estimated by instrumentation(if any one needs to know more about dicrotic wave......please tell.... we will then go in for a detailed discussion)

Dicrotic Pulse

This is the second small wave (dicrotic or diastolic wave) following the peak of main wave in a pulse. (What we feel is actually an exagerration of a normal phenomenon). But this dicrotic pulse is physiologically not palpable and It may be found in debilitaing fevers, dehydration, severe congestive failure secondary to dilated cardiomyopathy, tamponade, low output state after aortic valve replacement for AR i.e. in conditions of low stroke output accompanied by peripheral Vasodilation

Anacrotic Pulse

Ana = Up
    Crotos = Beat

When a small wave is felt in the up stroke ( analogous to the dicrotic wave of the dicrotic pulse) the pulse is called anacrotic. The anacrotic peak is due to thepercussion wave (early systolic wave) of theventricular systole transmitted through the stenosed valve in Aortic Stenosis
  4. Blur

Blur Guest

We can normally quite easily identify the dicrotic notch from the arterial waveform, but how do we identify them if we are using a computer to detect these notch.

Best Regards,
  5. krsna

krsna Guest

Re: good question

that was pretty snobby...if you think the ques is not upto ur standards jus go another post man...u have no reason to snub others!!!hope u get my point.
  6. lungi

lungi Guest

pulse question critics

That was very unrealistic. You can not judge anybody from a single weak point....This is very sad when you think that someone should not deserve PG seat because he/ she does not know detail about pusle. What happens to reserved class people who don't even know the full form of MBBS...???They get seat in orthopedics, suegery, radiology and other higher branches...Please deliver your critics in preventing these things happening to our country and our bright students ....and not in critisising on someone who wants to learn and admitt their weak areas.....

I hope you can learn something from this.....
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

the dicrotic notch is caused by closure of the aortic valve
  8. A&P Student

A&P Student Guest

From what I learned in my A&P class, the dicrotic notch can be seen on the aorta pressure curve...when the valves close, you get a deflection, or small peak in the curve due to that closing.
  9. iii

iii Guest

Dicrotic notch is due to the elastic recoil of the aorta.
    Anacrotic notch happens in AS.
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

DDI index(Dicrotic Dilation Index)-indicator of small artery compliance

DEI index(Dicrotic Elastic Index)-Peripheral vessel elasticity (arterioles to veins)

Check out DPA Advantages
    >Early detection of arterial wall stiffness and determination of biological arterial age in less than three minutes
    >Device is FDA approved
    >light wt. 12 lb
    >nonininvasive way to measure arterial health.
    >use for early detection
    Use this before taking "Cardiococktail", than every three months to see the change in the pulse wave. A "dicrotic knotch" may become "reborn" after several months on this product. That's my testimony. No more heart surgery for me. Check ForMorHealth.com Evelyn