FAQ: Is DNB preferable to MD/MS in the present scenario?

Discussion in 'DNB CET board - DipNB' started by Guest, Feb 8, 2006.

1. DNB COURSES

HELLO,

AS FAR AS I UNDERSTAND, THE DIPLOMA HAS TO BE RECOGNISED BY THE MCI & NOT JUST BY THE UNIVERSITY OR STATE MEDICAL COUNCIL ALONE, BECAUSE THAT ONLY GIVES THE PERSON THE PERMISSION TO PRACTISE WITHIN THAT STATE & NOT ON AN ALL-INDIA BASIS.

PLEASE CHECK ON DNB WEBSITE:-

www.natboard.nic.in

YOU CAN EVEN WRITE TO THEM UNDER THE RTI ACT, TO GET CORRECT ANSWER TO YOUR QUERY.

DR.A.J.PAIDHUNGAT.
  2. sunnyjey

sunnyjey Guest

DNB Radiology

There are lots of speculations are going about scraping of DNB Board.

There are some rumors or fact that DNB Professor & Lecturers have been removed from Hospitals in South including Manipal, as MCI do not recognized DNB Board.
  3. DNB COURSES

HELLO,

I DON'T THINK THAT DNB BOARD WILL EVER BE SCRAPPED, BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE HEALTH MINISTRY, IN THE FIRST PLACE!
    THERE IS AN ONGOING DISCORD BETWEEN NBE & MCI, WHICH AFTER ALL IS AFFECTING THE HELPLESS STUDENTS UNNECESSARILY!

MCI IS REFUSING TO GIVE DNB AN EQUIVALENT STATUS TO MD/MS, DESPITE ORDERS FROM THE HEALTH MINISTRY.NOT ONLY THAT, THE
    MCI ITSELF IS GOING THROUGH A LOT OF DIFFICULTIES ON ACCOUNT OF VARIOUS INTERNAL PROBLEMS.THERE WAS A RUMOUR SOMETIME BACK THAT THE HEALTH MINISTRY ITSELF MAY CONTROL THE MCI!

HEALTH MINISTRY WANTS TO RECOGNIZE VARIOUS FOREIGN DEGREES, MAINLY FROM UK & USA, SO THAT PEOPLE WISH TO RETURN TO INDIA AFTER THAT, PLUS OUR DEGREES WILL GET RECOGNIZED BY THOSE COUNTRIES, BUT THE MCI FEELS THAT THE QUALITY OF SOME OF THE FOREIGN DEGREES IS NOT UPTO THE MARK, SO IT IS OPPOSING THAT MOVE.BOTH ARE RIGHT TO SOME EXTENT, BUT THE PROBLEM HAS TO BE SORTED OUT AMICABLY.

DR.MRS.A.J.PAIDHUNGAT.
  4. an eye opener

hi friends! i feel like laughing at all those who r too optimistic towards joining a dnb course.i have gathered a lot of courage to tell about my fate to people.i am doing dnb surgery from a highly reputed institute(?) from mumbai.after 2 years i dont know how to do an appendisectomy.didnt have any theory class of any sort whatsoever.completion of thesis is looming on my head but no guidance whatsoever.twice i have officially complained but in turn they threaten me to restigate.i dont know how many attempts i will need to clear final exam.i am no more than a wardboy in the hospital.i repent thousand times a day and feel like ending my life.i talked to dnb board but they want an official complaint with my name,that would be just like signing on ur death warrant.i paid one and half lakh rupee at the time of admission.everymonth i get 2000 rs but i am made to sign on a receipt of 9000rs.i dont know how to sustain my living in mumbai with that amount.i have not given up yet.i am fighting with my destiny.if u get a diploma seat also, take it with both hands.life doesnt give second chance to everyone. :?:
  5. DNB COURSES

HELLO,

I'M SORRY TO HEAR THAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH SO MANY PROBLEMS ABOUT DNB SURGERY IN MUMBAI & ARE NOT GETTING A CHANCE TO LEARN ENOUGH SURGICAL WORK.

THAT IS BASICALLY A PROBLEM OF ALL THE PRIVATE HOSPITALS AS PATIENTS ARE NOTECASES OF HONORARIES & THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY PROBLEM, ACCORDING TO THE CONSUMER PROTECTION ACT, EVEN IF IT OCCURS INADVERTENTLY.THAT'S WHY THEY ARE RELUCTANT TO GIVE WORK TO JUNIORS.IF YOU'RE VERY GOOD IN YOUR WORK, YOU MAY GET A CHANCE TO ASSIST IN OPERATIONS, IF YOU HAVE A GOOD RAPPORT WITH YOUR BOSS IF THE BOSS WISHES TO GIVE YOU CHANCE.

ABOUT THE PAYMENT, IT IS VERY SAD THAT YOU'RE MADE TO SIGN ON A RECEIPT OF RS.9000/- PM BUT ARE GETTING ONLY RS.2000/- PM FROM THE HOSPITAL.ANYWAY, IT IS ONLY A QUESTION OF 1 MORE YEAR, SO STUDY HARD & TRY TO PASS THE EXAM.AFTERWARDS, YOU CAN TAKE ENOUGH EXPERIENCE BY WORKING IN SOME PUBLIC HOSPITAL AS AN UNREGISTERED CANDIDATE.

I DON'T SEE MUCH POINT IN YOUR COMPLAINING TO DNB BOARD ABOUT IT, BECAUSE YOU'RE YOURSELF SIGNING ON A RECEIPT OF RS.9000/- PER MONTH!BESIDES, YOU'VE TO THINK ABOUT YOUR OWN EXAM AS WELL, SO YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO FIGHT WITH THEM.NOONE ELSE WILL SUPPORT YOUR STORY, BECAUSE EVERYONE HAS TO THINK OF THEMSELVES, FINALLY!

SO CHEER UP, COMPLETE YOUR TERMS & THEN APPEAR FOR THE DNB EXAM.ONCE YOU'VE COMPLETED THE TERMS, YOU CAN ALWAYS WORK FOR 6 MONTHS IN A PUBLIC HOSPITAL, BEFORE APPEARING FOR THE FINAL EXAM OF DNB SURGERY.

DR.MRS.A.J.PAIDHUNGAT.
  6. DNB COURSES

HELLO,

THE DNB(NBE) BOARD IS DIRECTLY UNDER THE HEALTH MINISTRY OF INDIA AS YOU ALL KNOW.THE NBE EVEN CONDUCTS THE SCREENING TEST FOR FOREIGN MEDICAL GRADUATES ON BEHALF OF MCI!THIS TEST ALLOWS THEM TO PRACTICE IN INDIA & TO DO POSTGRADUATION AS WELL.THE AIIMS INSTITUTE, WHICH CONDUCTS THE AIPGMEE EXAM FOR ALL PG MEDICAL STUDENTS, IS ALSO UNDER THE DIRECT CONTROL OF THE HEALTH MINISTRY OF INDIA.

I DON'T THINK THAT DNB BOARD WILL EVER BE SCRAPPED, BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE HEALTH MINISTRY, IN THE FIRST PLACE!
    THERE IS AN ONGOING DISCORD BETWEEN NBE & MCI, WHICH AFTER ALL IS AFFECTING THE HELPLESS STUDENTS UNNECESSARILY!

MCI IS REFUSING TO GIVE DNB AN EQUIVALENT STATUS TO MD/MS, DESPITE ORDERS FROM THE HEALTH MINISTRY.NOT ONLY THAT, THE
    MCI ITSELF IS GOING THROUGH A LOT OF DIFFICULTIES ON ACCOUNT OF VARIOUS INTERNAL PROBLEMS.THERE WAS A RUMOUR SOMETIME BACK THAT THE HEALTH MINISTRY ITSELF MAY CONTROL THE MCI!

HEALTH MINISTRY WANTS TO RECOGNIZE VARIOUS FOREIGN DEGREES, MAINLY FROM UK & USA, SO THAT PEOPLE WISH TO RETURN TO INDIA AFTER THAT, PLUS OUR DEGREES WILL GET RECOGNIZED BY THOSE COUNTRIES, BUT THE MCI FEELS THAT THE QUALITY OF SOME OF THE FOREIGN DEGREES IS NOT UPTO THE MARK, SO IT IS OPPOSING THAT MOVE.BOTH ARE RIGHT TO SOME EXTENT, BUT THE PROBLEM HAS TO BE SORTED OUT AMICABLY.

DR.MRS.A.J.PAIDHUNGAT.
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: FAQ: Is DNB preferable to MD/MS in the present scenario

Please note DNB is equvalent to a MD/MS atleast on paper, provided one has trained in a teaching institution, like a medical college hospital.
    If you have trained in any other place for an DNB like example apollo hospitals which does not have a medical college, though there is not major problems, there is one thing you all need to know.

If you want to work in a teaching institution after DNB[in a non teaching inst] you will have to work for 3 more years as a tutor before you are equivalent to an MD/MS, this is MCI rules, but if you have done DNB in a teaching inst. you have to work only 1 year before you are equated to an MD/MS, this is only if you want to work in a medical college &hosp setup.
    Otherwise no problems working else where is fine. Hope this does clarify about DNB Vs MD/MS.
  8. ami_shams

ami_shams Guest

sir , u r wrong about experience after dnb ..no tutor ship now required after dnb ...DNB IS euivalent with md in all respect..but MCI is creating hurdle in its implementation...they r insisting for one yr tutor experience ..but govt of india has notfied that it is at par with md ..and no additional experience required.
  9. CPS COURSES

HI,

FCPS CAN BE DONE AFTER CONCERNED DIPLOMA.FCPS IS RECOGNIZED BY MCI WITH CERTAIN CONDITIONS, SO AFTER THAT YOU CAN DO DNB FINAL RIGHTAWAY JUST AS YOU CAN DO AFTER MD/MS!ATLEAST YOU'LL HAVE DIPLOMA+FCPS EVEN IF YOU DON'T PASS DNB !

DR.ASHA J.PAIDHUNGAT.
  10. sak233

sak233 Guest

fcps and cps diplomas ve been subjected for withdrawal of recognitoion.check mci website for the same?so i dont think nbe is going to accept it as qualification for appearing dnb final
  11. pg courses recognized by MOHFW

Friends,

As per the list obtained from MOHFW Website, the following are the PG courses recognized by them:-

UNIVERSITY-WISE LIST OF RECOGNISED MEDICAL DEGREES/ DIPLOMAS INCLUDED IN THE SCHEDULE TO IMC ACT, 1956

MAHARASHTRA
    Amravati University
    Bharati Vidyapeeth (Deemed University)
    Bombay University
    College of Physicians and Surgeons, Bombay
    Dr. Baba Saheb Ambedkar Marathwada University
    Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nasik
    Marathwada University
    Mumbai University
    Nagpur University
    North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon
    Poona University
    Shivaji University
    Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University, Nanded

Under the heading of University/Medical Institution & Qualification we find the Courses conducted by College of Physicians & Surgeons of Bombay:-

1.MCPS - Recognised when granted on or after 30.04.1944

2.Fellowships* – Recognised when granted on or after 01.04.54
    (Medicine, Surgery, ObGynaec, Pathology, Dermatology, Ophthalmology.

3.Diplomas-DCH, DGO, DCP(&B).

*These qualifications shall be recognised medical qualifications under this Schedule only when they are held by persons holding any other medical qualification specified in this Schedule.

The Colleges which were permitted to conduct these courses at the outset were GMC, GSMC, TNMC, BJMC(Poona), BJMC(Ahmedabad).Now many more Institutions have been added to the list for conducting Diplomas.

Dr.Asha J.Paidhungat.
  12. Dr Srinivas

Dr Srinivas Guest

Help please

Dear Dr.Asha J.Paidhungat,
    I am in a strange situation in UK. I passed MSophthalmology recognised by MCI and registered with State Med council. After that I came to UK, funnily got into surgical posts and passed MRCS(surgery) from edinburgh college.I got a place in Core Surgical training programme for 2 years ( General Surgery in North Wales(UK)).This training is recognised by Royal college of Surgeons, England. The training programme starts from 1/08/08 and ends on 31/07/2010.I want to go back to india in August 2011.I last touch with Ophthalmology now and don't want to practice it. Can I get registered with DNB at the begining of my core surgical training programme.
    Could you please tell me whether UK training is recoginsed by DNB Board to sit in the final exam.? I understand that I don't need to sit for primary because of my MS.

I need your guidance in this regard.

With regards,
    Dr.Srinivas
  13. DNB COURSES

HELLO SRINIVAS,

AS YOUR MS IS IN OPHTHALMOLOGY,YOU CAN APPEAR FOR DNB IN OPHTHAMOLOGY RIGHTAWAY.

HOWEVER, IF YOU WISH TO DO DNB IN GENERAL SURGERY,YOU''VE TO CONFIRM WITH NBE IF YOUR PRESENT TRAINING IN SURGERY WILL BE CONSIDERED OR NOT.

IN GENERAL, YOU CAN DO YOUR DNB IN SURGERY IN 2.5 YEARS, EVEN WITHOUT DNB-CET, AS YOU'VE GOT POSTGRADUATE DEGREE ALREADY.

DR.ASHA J.PAIDHUNGAT.
  14. Dr Srinivas

Dr Srinivas Guest

help please

Can I do FCPS(Surgery) bombay?.Do they count UK training?. Thank you very much for your help.

With regards,
    Dr.Srinivas
  15. PG COURSES

HELLO SRINIVAS,

YOU'LL HAVE TO CONTACT THE CPS DIRECTLY, TO KNOW IF THEY'RE CONSIDERING THE TRAINING EXPERIENCE THAT YOU'VE GOT IN UK.IF THEY DON'T, I'M AFRAID THAT YOU'LL HAVE TO DO 4 UNREGISTERED TERMS IN SURGERY ANY OF THE 4 MAJOR TEACHING HOSPITALS IN BOMBAY(JJ, KEM, NAIR, SION)!FCPS SURGERY IS RECOGNIZED BY MCI

THE CPS ADDRESS IS:-
    COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS & SURGEONS OF BOMBAY,
    DR.E.E.BORGES MARG,
    PAREL, MUMBAI-400012.
    TEL:24137915.

DR.ASHA J.PAIDHUNGAT.
  16. Dr Srinivas

Dr Srinivas Guest

DNB and FCPS-Advice Please

Thanks for your reply. I already sent an email to NBEFELLOW@YAHOO.COM to find out whether NATBOARD recognises uk training. Hope they reply(Natboard never replied to my queries in the past!).

I will also contact CPS and see if they recognises UK training.
    I am more inclined towards DNB than FCPS any way.

I came to know about the recent health minister's proposal to recognise UK degrees to practice in private sector.
    I prefer additional indian qualification apart from my MRCS and Completion of Basic Surgical training certificate from Intercollegiate board, for better medicolegal cover.
    If my UK training is not recognised, I would like to join 2.5 years DNB General Surgery at Hyderabad(DNB accredited Institute) or at Government General Hospital, Guntur(Under Guntur Medical College) and register with DNB and FCPS in 2011.
    Can I register FCPS by joining DNB outside Mumbai?.
    Is FCPS recognised outside Maharastra?.

Thank you very much for your help.

With regards,
    Dr.Srinivas
  17. PG CAREER

HELLO SRINIVAS,

IT IS BEST FOR YOU TO COMPLETE YOUR MRCS IN UK & THEN THINK OF RETURNING TO INDIA.AS PER ANNOUNCEMENT BY HEALTH MINISTER, THEY'VE STARTED RECOGNIZING PG DEGREES FROM UK, USA, CANADA, AUSTRALIA & NEW ZEALAND.SO YOU'LL BE TAKEN UP BY ANY HOSPITAL, WHETHER IT IS A GOVERNMENT-RUN OR A PRIVATE-RUN INSTITUTE.

FCPS SURGERY IS RECOGNIZED BY MCI ONLY IN A CONDITIONAL MANNER, SO YOU'LL HAVE TO DO 4 POSTS IN ANY PUBLIC TEACHING HOSPITAL IN BOMBAY, AFTER WHICH DNB SURGERY (FINAL) CAN BE DONE DIRECTLY.

IN YOUR CASE, IT WILL BE BEST FOR YOU TO DO DNB DIRECTLY IN 2.5 YEARS, IF YOUR UK TRAINING & MRCS DEGREE IS NOT ACCEPTED BY DNB BOARD. I SINCERELY HOPE THAT THEY CONSIDER THE DEGREE & THAT YOU CAN APPEAR FOR DNB SURGERY FINAL RIGHTAWAY.

DR.ASHA J.PAIDHUNGAT.
  18. Dr Srinivas

Dr Srinivas Guest

DNB

Thanks for your reply. I apologize for the confusion created.

I passed Full MRCS from Edinburgh college in june 07, elected as a Member of Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh in october 07 and was issued Certificate of Completion of Basic Surgical training in September 07 from INTERCOLLEGIATE COMMITTEE FOR BASIC SURGICAL TRAINING- CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION OF BASIC SURGICAL TRAINING (CCBST) approved by all four Royal Colleges.
    Due to change in the New training system in UK, I applied for Core Surgical training programme and got an appointment for 2 years now which is also recognised by Royal College of Surgeons, England.

I contacted NBE. Strange, Dr.S. Biswas(NBE) replied saying that
    "The candidate is not exempt from CET. He has to undergo CET to
    register himself. There is no primary examination now, it is a CET
    examination". and he also said that total duration of training should be 3 years. Is it true?.I am totally confused.
    Thanks for your help.Thanks for your encourgement and your time helping doctors like me.
    With regards,
    Dr.Srinivas
  19. PG CAREER

Hello Srinivas,

I'm sorry to hear that unexpected negative answer.I'm rather surprised that a recognized degree like MRCS from UK is not given any weightage despite the Health Ministry's confirmation of it's recognition!Perhaps you can try contacting MOHFW.It may help as they are in charge of NBE.

Dr.Asha J.Paidhungat.
  20. Dr. AGP

Dr. AGP Guest

Hello,
    I was going through all your comments. I was surprised to see the view that DNB is inferior to MD and there are no teaching programmes. I did my DNB(Medicine)from Kerala. I was lucky enough to have extremely good professors in medicine. At my place we had very regular academic sessions. I daresay we have individually presented much more cases & discussed more topics than what would have been possible in a medical college -- of course due to the sheer numbers of the PG students (both MD & DNB) in a medical college. I certainly agree that the final exams were very tough, but that actually compelled me to read extensively.

So I would recommend DNB -- to all who are up for the challenge.
    Passing MD is a foregone conclusion once you get into the course. On the other hand, we have to really work hard for our DNB. Bear that in mind before rubbishing DNB qualifications
  21. DNB courses

Hello Dr.AGP,

I think you're mistaken about the equivalence of DNB with MD/MS!

As per the latest circular of 2006 from DNB, DNB=MD/MS, so there is no need for addl.teaching experience.

Another circular of 2006 also says, that Government colleges can take DNB students in addition to MD/MS if they have teachers+facilities!

Dr.Asha J.Paidhungat.
  22. Guest

Guest Guest

This is in reply to 2nd response on this forum. Well the opinion that any Tom, Dick and Harry can do DNB is utter nonsense. If you have had the oppurtunity to appear for DNB exams as well as MD/MS exams , you can be absolutely asssured that the level of DNB examinations is far more superior to MD/MS exams. I vouch for this being in the teaching profession myself.
    When we had DNB examinations in ObGy at our centre, there were quite a few MD candidates who performed very poorly in DNB exams.
    Anyway I have nothing against MD candidates . A student is an individual .How he fares in exams is totally dependant on him or her. Having said that, I would again like to underline the fact that a DNB passed candidate is better qualified than his counterpart who is only MD or MS qualified.
  23. Dr. AGP

Dr. AGP Guest

Hello Dr. Asha,

Actually you are mistaken in thinking that I was talking about the "teaching experience" that the MCI is demanding. :D
    I used to teach because I liked it, not because I was scared of the MCI. And because I benefitted more than the students knowledgewise.
    I am never in doubt of the equivalence of my DNB(Med) with any MD(Med). To be frank I think it is superior to MD.
    As to the letter from the Health Ministry, the MCI is still browbeating all institutions to stop DNB courses if they want MD/MS seats. It is high time that the MCI was taken to task for this stepmotherly attitude.
  24. DNB equivalence

Hello Dr.AGP,

I'm sorry for the confusion!
    These are MCI's unconvincing reasons for not equating DNB with MD/MS!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NBE - Equivalence of Board’s qualifications with MD/MS/DM /MCh . of
    other Indian Universities - letter of Govt. regarding.
    Read : The recommendations of the Sub-Committee togetherwith the Central
    Govt. vide its letter dated 7.2.2002 & letter dated 28.12.2001 from Dr. Rajvardhan
    Azad, President, NBE. The Hon’ble Health Minister regarding Equivalence of
    Board’s qualifications with MD/MS/DM /M.Ch. of other Indian Universities as
    referred by the Postgraduate Committee.
    The Council approved the following recommendations of the Sub-
    Committee dated 12.05.2003 constituted by the Postgraduate Committee to
    “The question of DNB degrees be equated with MD/MS/DM /M.Ch. has
    been previously considered by Postgraduate Committee on 16.09.2002 and
    the General Body of the Council approved the recommendations of the
    Postgraduate Committee on 29.10.1998.
    The reasons for not equating DNB degrees with MD/MS/DM /M.Ch. were as
    follows:-
    (i)
    Admissions to DNB course is only by qualifying examination whereas
    admission to postgraduate and post-doctoral MD/MS/DM /M.Ch. courses is
    by competitive examination in all States and colleges.
    (ii) A definite teaching faculty along with other infrastructural facilities as laid
    down in Regulations of the Council is available for postgraduate and post-
    doctoral students undergoing MD/MS/DM /M.Ch. courses, whereas for DNB
    training the faculty possessing adequate teaching experience is not even a
    requirement for DNB . Moreover, the DNB courses are conducted in non-
    teaching hospitals by the consultants who are by & large not eligible to be
    teacher as per MCI Regulations.
    (iii) The facilities of the basic sciences training which are essential for
    postgraduate training are non-existent in non-teaching hospitals. Some
    facilities of para clinical departments like Pathology , Microbiology ,
    Biochemistry are available but the facilities of pre-clinical departments i.e.
    Anatomy , Physiology , Community Medicine are non existent. Even
    facilities for para clinical departments are service oriented and not teaching
    oriented.
    (iv) The candidates pursing postgraduate courses i.e. MD/MS/DM /M.Ch. are
    trained in the hospitals attached to the concerned institutions where the
    clinical material is available to the maximum extent. On the other hand the
    DNB candidates are trained in paying hospitals which mainly cater to the
    private patients thus impairing the DNB training as far as hands on training
    is concerned, and defeating the purpose of practical training.
    (v) MD/MS/DM /M.Ch. courses are conducted in the institutions having
    essential multidisciplinary approach for trainees who thus have wider
    interaction with different aspects of medicine and more clinical material is
    available for training whereas in the institutions having DNB students, all
    the facilities available in medical college are non-existent. Most of the non-
    teaching hospitals are at the most few specialities and not multidisciplinary
    hospital.
    (vi) There are much more frequent changes of consultants in non-teaching
    institutions, thus there is often shortage of staff as per requirement by even
    National Board. As per Council Regulations, teachers have to be whole time
    in medical college whereas this is not a practice as per the DNB training is
    concerned. Moreover, the consultants in the teaching hospitals are attached
    to more than one institution.
    DM /MCh . are teaching students. There is no such facility in non-teaching
    hospitals, thus students possessing DNB degree have no experience of
    teaching at all. The Regulations on Postgraduate Medical Education, 2000
    requires 3 years teaching experience with recognized postgraduate
    qualification to be eligible to become a Lecturer/Asstt.Prof. in a medical
    college.
    (viii) One year teaching experience after broad speciality and 2 years experience
    after super-speciality of DNB candidates does not equate them with those
    who have obtained MD/MS/DM /MCh .
    (ix) Comments as regards using the unutilized facilities in a medical college is
    incorrect as the intake capacity in the postgraduate courses is fixed
    commensurate with the faculty, clinical material and infrastructural facilities
    available for maintaining high standards of training, thus there is no
    unutilized component.
    Infact the Sub-Committee feels that hence forth the doctors possessing DNB
    degrees should not even be considered for teaching appointment in medical
    institutions.
    The comments of President of National Board of Examinations that the main
    objective of Board is to conduct postgraduate and post-doctoral
    examinations in modern medicine at the national level in order to have equal
    standard of medical education at national level, this primary aim of starting
    NBE way back in 1975 by very learned people has been forgotten. On the
    other hand giving of degrees in non-teaching hospital is poor duplication of
    the degrees imparted in teaching hospitals.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the interest of our country's need for qualified doctors for healthcare & teaching work, I sincerely hope that MCI sorts out differences with NBE!

Dr.Asha J.Paidhungat.
  25. Guest

Guest Guest

:( Dear Dr. Asha
    I am doing DNB in a reputed hospital in delhi. I would like to share my experiences with you and aspiring pg aspirants. I am having the most harrowing time of my life. When i joined everyone was very nice and for few months we had a proper academic schedule. Later everything stopped. They only make us work, work and work. We are mistreated and obviosly there are zero academics. I have even complained but even that didnt help much. The problem with DNB is that we dont have any say at all and so mistreated by the consultants.
    dejected student
  26. DNB courses

Hello,

I'm really sorry to hear about your problem.However, as you're in midst of DNB residency, I'll advise you to complete DNB quietly.Protests may only make matters worse for you, when you have to submit your Thesis & have to pass the DNB Final exam later!

In the meanwhile, try to learn as much as possible from library & from internet, on your own & have academic discussions & case presentations with other DNB students!When we were PG students, we presented cases to each other & learnt a lot by these discussions!I'm sure that there must be at least some consultants in the hospital who are interested in teaching in terms of case presentations & lectures, so atleast try to approach them.

Dr.Asha Paidhungat.
  27. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Dr. Asha,

I am planning to give DNB Primary this time. I wanted to know when will the applications be out.

I also want to know about the Bhagwan Mahaveer Jain Hospital in hyderabad, how is it??? How is the experience there?? How is the passing rate for DNB Medicine??? If anyone of the forum members have joined, completed or doing their DNB right now are welcome to answer my query...

Thanks & Regards.
  28. ramyateja

ramyateja Guest

trxy

helo dr i have just finished my mbbs i dont know wat to choose now. i know nothing about the corses and the procedures. could u pls guide me with the best options in the field.
  29. DNB COURSES

Hello,

I've heard that Mahavir Institute, hyderabad is certainly good but please confirm from people working there!

About Ramyateja's question, if you've finished internship, you can apply for DNB-CET just now(before 10.10.08) & for AIPGMEE as well.Once that's cleared, you can choose from the various options that will be open to you.

Dr.Asha Paidhungat.
  30. REPLY TO DNB ORTHO

HI, . A DR HAVING MS/MD AND DNB IN SAME SUBJECT IS SUPERIOR THAN HAVING SINGLE .BUT I THINK THIS IS A STUPID QN IN ONE SENSE BECAUSE ALL MD OR DNB ARE PG DEGREE HOLDERS AND IF U R MORE IN EXPRIENCE MONEY OR REPUTATION U R BETTER BUT NOT SUPERIOR.A VACANCY OF DNB ORTHO IN TMH JAMSHEDUR PHONE NO 09234753442.
  31. Dr.Anil

Dr.Anil Guest

DNB /MD

Dear all,

Few years back DNB was recognized in UK and not MD ,so friends dont have a wrong impression.Even when two candidate are there ,usually they prefer DNB candidate in private sector

All the best,

Dr.Anil
  32. krishna1988

krishna1988 Guest

PAss rate radio DNB

Hi i needed to know what is the pass rate for DNB radio...does it improve with post DMRD candidates?
  33. Dr.ANIL

Dr.ANIL Guest

SHO Post for DNB Medicine doctors

Dear Dr,

There are vacancies for SHO post in Medicine in UK ,preference will be given to DNB medicine doctors.No need to clear PLAB but you have to clear IELTS exam in india

All those who are interested can mail your CV to edwardtom@yahoo.in
  34. Guest

Guest Guest

helo mem can u telll me whaat i s the final practical exam pattern of dnb course?does it a zonal exam?means we have to go to other zone for exam?frankly telll me mem dnb kar sakte hai ke nahi?pass hote bhi he ke nahi??????
  35. Ahodarkar

Ahodarkar Guest

Is DNB recognised in other countries (US UK Canada NewZealand Australia)
    ie can i do dnb in india and then practice in one of these countries without having to do residency there as well
    its okay if i have to an entrance exam so long as i dont have waste more years of my life doing residency all over again
    pls help me
  36. Guest

Guest Guest

To Dr Asha

IF the DNB is eligible for promotion in a teaching Hospital in Tamil nadu ????? Eligible for Advance inccrements ?
  37. DNB courses

Hello,

As per Gazette circular, DNB+MD/MS for all purposes like job, promotion, further studies, but its unfortunate that MCI has told colleges not to follow it, or else they'll lose their recognition!

Asha Paidhungat.
  38. Ahodarkar

Ahodarkar Guest

to Dr. Asha

Can you please help me. No one seems to know for sure about this.
    I posted this doubt a few days ago in this same thread.

"Is DNB recognised in other countries (US UK Canada NewZealand Australia)
    ie can i do dnb in india and then practice in one of these countries without having to do residency there as well
    its okay if i have to an entrance exam so long as i dont have waste more years of my life doing residency all over again
    pls help me"
  39. Guest

Guest Guest

hiii..pls let me know ..howz priamry dnb after mbbs in anaesthesia , skin , general medicine...howz the scope in future in delhi....and howz dnb in these subjects in hindu rao hospital in delhi
    howz the passin rate there and workload...howz the admission process in hindu rao hospital and i hav taken the form for july session..is it purely on merit basis or some approach or through money
    pls let me know about in hindu rao hospital , delhi..
    thanx
  40. Dr matts

Dr matts Guest

guide me

Dr Asha or anyone,

Is there any age limit for applying? Iam 34 yrs old and out of medical field for almost 8 yrs. I became busy with home and kids. Before marrying i had 3 yrs experience in the field of pediatrics and medicine. kindly tell me when are the dates when the application forms will be available and when is the exam? Does anyone know which hospitals in pune offer the course. Iam interested in peds.

Thanks a ton in advance.
  41. DNB courses

Hello matt,

Its not clear whether you've done a D.Ch(Diploma in Child Health), which is recognized by MCI or University.If you have it, you can do Secondary DNB in Paediatrics rightaway!The ads for DNB admissions will appear in leading newspapers in June!

If you haven't done any diploma or degree, you'll have to appear for the DNB-CET exam, before you can get admission to a DNB course!The next exam for which you can try is in December 2009, as the last date for June 2009 DNB-CET is already over!The forms will be available in August end or early September!

Asha Paidhungat.
  42. Passing rates

Dear Dr. Asha,

Thank you for your valuable guidance..

I am feb 2008 graduate MBBS from maharashtra..

Can you please tell sites which can give comprehensive information about DNB seats, hospitals, courses , their recognitions, salaries and current season seats available.. except natboard.nic.in

And please throw some light on the passing rates of different branches..
    give some idea about those courses collectively (just a gross idea)

I there any way to know when the hospitals have vacancies jan/june.??

Regards,

Mandar
  43. Guest

Guest Guest

thanku very much for ur suggestions doctor..i have cleared my primary this year july..then i went for secundrebad hospital for dnb radiolgy..i was selected but dint take the course as they dont have ct or mri..now i am waiting for january admissions for dnb radiology.....is it worth waiting for 6 months for the sake of dnb radiology..after pasing dnb radiology....what will be our status..what about job opurtuinities.???our degree will be considerd equal to md/ms..if i do my dnb in institutes like apollo chennai??
  44. dnb ortho

i want to do dnb in orthopaedics
    is this a right option?
    and wat is the scope of jobs after doing dnb?
    and wat is its passing result?
    pls help me im in big confusions....
  45. vvvvvvv

vvvvvvv Guest

Life after DNB fail

Hi
    I want to ask, what to do if i do not clear my DNB radiology exam in first attempt. Some people hv told me that I can work outside as i will get 3years experience certificat though i maybe paid less. And gradually i can clear my exam.

I want to confirm wether this is allowed? Do i hv to pass DNB before independently practicing as a radiologist?
  46. i am gettn seat in dnb radiology thru influence but want 2 do dnb gynaec.
    considering my field of interest n passin rate in both, also amount work in both plz shud i tek dnb radio immediately or wait 4 gynaec intervs in june . also i hav joind plain post in B.M.C. maternity hospital.... plz reply me dr, asha.....also mention about passin rate in both subjects... can dnb
    unregistrd dr practise in govt or private hospital?
  47. DNB

Hello,

Both branches have excellent scope but OBGY is a very hectic subject!Pass rate is about the same for both, i.e ~30% , requiring 2-3 attempts.
    Radiology is an institutional branch, which needs a hospital attachment or one's own cllinic, that's expensive even in partnership!In contrast, OBGY practice can be done easily with attachment to various nursing homes.

It depends on your liking & the possibility of getting a DNB seat in OBGY in June that should help you in deciding OBGY or Radiology!

If chances of geting OBGY in June are good, wait for it as you like that subject more!

If you're not sure of getting DNB OBGY seat in June, take DNB Radiology rightaway, if you're comfortable with the subject, because if you don't like Radiology much, you must not regret later.At the same time, you must not lose chance of geting a highly coveted DNB Radiology seat !

In short, you mustn't lose something which you have got in your hand for something which you're not sure of obtaining!

Asha Paidhungat.
  48. PBS

PBS Guest

Second MS in Surgery or DNB

Dear Dr.ASHA MAM,
    I am in a strange situation. I passed my MS(Ophthal) in 2003(Aplus University grade). I passed plab and came to INDIA. Turning point is that I was selected for basic surgical training in UK(Ophthal is very competitive in UK).I completed Basic Surgical training, passed full MRCS in 2007 and was issued CCBST Certificate recognised all 4 royal colleges in 2007.I worked for 3 years now at registrar level in General Surgery.
    I want to come back and settle in India.
    Now, I don't want to practice Ophthalmology.
    I got 2 options
    1. To go for Andhra PG entrance again to get into MS General Surg
    2.Write DNB CET and Join DNB in Hyderabad(I am sure that I can pass DNB If I put a bit of effort due to my UK training background)
    Mam, am I allowed to do second MS in the same university. Does MCI allows this?. I am confused. Please reply. I tried to contact MCI and NTR university, AP with no joy.
    Thank you very much for your help and support.
  49. DNB

Hello,

As far as I know, MCI doesn't allow a candidate to do 2nd MS from same University!Clear DNB-CET in June & join DNB in desired subject in August.

Asha Paidhungat.
  50. thnku so much , for ur valuable guidance...., Dr Asha mam,
    sinc both seats dnb obgy n radio wil opn in june, considering pros n corns regd both, n my interst in obgy, i wil giv intrws in june for obgy, some good instit like barc , muncipal trust hosp, nanavati hosp
    hav acrredatn for obgy in june.... till den i wil continue with plain post in maternity hosp for sake of experience.......