For anyone wants to know more about MRCS part B OSCE

Discussion in 'MRCS Forum' started by MEEE, Mar 20, 2009.

1. MEEE

MEEE Guest

HI everyone , am starting a topic about MRCS part B OSCE. I did the exam in Feb 2009 and still waiting my results. Due to the lack of information available about the exam and the lack of input from candidates who sat the exam I also found it challenging to know what to read and how to prepare for the exam.
    I am very happy to answer any questions you have, and i will be posting the stations that i got in details as its very likley you will get similiar stations if not the same.
    Cheers

Louai
  2. CT1

CT1 Guest

Appreciated

Thanks Louai,

I am planning to sit my exam soon and really dont know the best way to approach it ... Any advise would be greatly appreciated..
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

please help

Dear MEEE,
    I shall be grateful for any amount of help that you can give as i am also preparing for the exam but pretty clueless about it. I plan to take my exam in Edinburgh in May 2009. Alos can you suggest any coaching prior to the exam?
    regards,Aroona
  4. MEEE

MEEE Guest

Hi guys

sorry i was away this weekend so i couldnt post more details, not only that I also had my result on Friday, unfortunately I failed in one domain despite scoring above the minimum required to pass, but never mind... I am planning to do it again in May /Edinburgh.

Right back to the important facts

this exam is completely different to the viva and knowing how to prepare is crucial which is partly the cause of my failure...
    It is not a difficult exam to pass but you need to know what to focus on !!
    I will try from my personal experience to advice you and I really hope this helps you all...

what to read:

Anatomy
    you need to focus on anatomy more than pathology,physiology etc . you will get 3 stations anatomy, and time pressure can be a killer so you need to be well prepared for this. I personally read cracking the viva but this book is not good enough for anatomy at all !!! anatomy get through is a good one but again might not be enough . what I am planning to do is read these 2 books again and then cover any other topics from a different source.
    if someone has other suggestions for any other books please advice.

Remember in anatomy you are expected to know just about everything..
    most commonly asked:
    abdominal wall
    branches of the aorta
    stomach blood supply
    carpal tunnel
    snuffbox
    humerus
    femur
    ulnar/radial/median/facial nerve
    compartments of the legs
    inguinal canal
    adductor canal
    fermoral triangle
    leg reflexes, dermatomes and muscle groups responsible(i hsad this in my exam)

will continue the list later on, got to go do some work now
    Louai
  5. sharkasir

sharkasir Guest

Thanks meee

Hi everyone, yes I think this new exam, OSCE , is out of reach to understand and to pass from the 1st or 2nd attempt and the Royal College should post some samples for this new format. Additionally, I found it unfair to reset all stations if u failed in even one, as happened with mee.( NOT ME YET) LOL.
    But I need to ask; How long does it need to prepare 4 OSCE u think guys? I know it depends on what is within my brain and previous experience, but I need an average time roughly.

Best Of Luck for all of u guys
  6. MEEE

MEEE Guest

I think you need a 2 good months with sometime off before the exam assuming that you are working full time at the moment. I started reading 3 months before the exam, but wasn't on a daily basis to start with , then Before the exam I did take 2 weeks off.
    hope this helps
  7. MEEE

MEEE Guest

Back to topic

in the exam there is 16 stations and 2 rest stations 10 minutes each.
    in every station there is 1 minute to read the instructions outside the cubicle then 9 minutes to complete the task.
    in manned stations the examiner would stop at 6 minutes to ask questions related to the topic.....findings, investigations, DD etc....

my anatomy stations
    1-unmanned stations with full body skeleton and marked areas such as humerus , femur etc and there is a paper with around 13 questions if i remember well, not easy to finish on time and you better check all pages so you know how many questions u got ...in this stations i couldnt complete all questions due to lack of time !! they asked about muscle attachments to the head of humerus and greater trochanter, also about name nerves that passes in this are etc... cant remember the rest

2-manned station with anatomy of the aorta
    there is a patients with abdominal aneurysm you ganna operate on him what level the aorta enters the abdomen
    whats you surface markings for this entry point
    identify the branches of the aorta
    what posterior branches of aorta do you know
    vena cava and renal veins identify and what lies anterior to renal veins
    aortogram identify the branches
    small specimen of what looked like a fusiform aortic aneurysm , asked me what do i think this is , define aneurysm and what its causes...

3-a real person(not a patient) and examiner, all about lower leg reflexes(knee and ankle) , dermatomes ,muscle groups and compartment syndrome, arterial supply, nerves...then he showed me a leg specimen and asked me to point to the anterior tibialis....

i have to say anatomy was my failure bit in the exam , time pressure in the unmanned station was so unpredicted , i was taking my time until i realised its too late.....!!!

hope this helps
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

suggestions

Hi MEEE,
    any suggestion regarding coaching for mrcs3 exam, I plan to take the exam in Edinburgh in May 2009. AT present I am in India, could u plzzzz... suggest a suitable coaching for the exam also give me the website/e-mail i.d. of the same? How important is Cathrine Parchment Smith? I do not have the book yet but i m reading love and bailey and my U.G days practical books on surgery...plz help me for the the exam as m pretty clueless till now.....i can't help taking the exam as i had already cleared my part 1 &2 in 2006....n even if i pass or fail will have to sit the exam :( :?
  9. sharkasir

sharkasir Guest

Thanks Louai for these helpful info and I hope u every success in ur next try. Have u attended any preparation course yes Louai? if so, do u ave any suggestions or further advices?

Best of Luck for all of u.
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

my personal experience with courses as follows

1- Drexam course in leeds drexam co uk
    this course is focused on clinical examination, run by 2 research registrars in plastics.( £495) too expensive for what you get... they did not even provide us lunch !!
    to be fair although the course would not add much to what you alreay know but it does add to your confidence in examination skills, as you get to practice on others and you get observed by the registrars.however if you can do this where you work with someone supervising you , you get the same benefit if not better.
    good point: they provide with a good revision book for clinical examination...

2-cardiff anatomy course (£295) doctorsacademy org
    this course is definetly worth the money, is run by consultants in different surgical specialities. hands on practice, wide variety of anatomy specimens and good quality cadavers...
    they do provide lunch...cheap for what u get..
    you also get a very good mock exam at the end with excellend feedback and breakdown of your scores....
    i might sound contoversial here as i failed my anatomy in the exam but it was nothing to do with the course, it was only my fault ..

my freind went for the pastest course and his feedback was not encouraging at all , he said its far too expensive for what you get, so he didnt recommend it, cant comment on that !!

hope this helps
  11. Guest

Guest Guest

lets talk about some more stations:

scenario: you are the surgical SPR, thesister would like to have a chat to you about the theatre list
    you enter the cubicle , there is a sister and in the corner an examiner with marking sheet.
    sister asks you to have a look at the theatre list and see if you happy with order or you want to change anything
    1-patient with for total colectomy, diabetic on insulin, MRSA positive
    2-70 yrs old patient for inguinal hernia repair, known severe COPD
    3- patient for Lap cholycystectomy, has pacemaker

type of anaesthesia
    what post op arrangements HDU, ward etc
    what type of diathermy for each procedure
    where would you place the diathermy and why

that's all I remember for this station

will add more later
  12. nlond

nlond Guest

mrcs part b in oct 2009

speciality 1 trunk and thorax
    Speciality 2 musculoskeletal and spine
  13. friends12345

friends12345 Guest

guidance in chosing specialty in application form MRCS partB

Dear Louai, thank you for your marvellous post and i am sure it would be a very good guidance for all of the persons getting ready for their mrcs part B OSCE examination. I am currently working in abu dhabi, UAE and would like to have someone working here in surgery as my study partner for the MRCS part B OSCE examination as i m planning to take it in FEB 2010. I would also like your kindself to please mention us that what specialty areas that you chose for your examinations and why did you choose them?, and can you please guide us that what other better specialty options there could be and why? Wating for your reply.
    , if you are also located in UAE and we can discuss about it. thank you very much and once again your post is very very helpful and please do keep up the good work.
  14. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Guys

back again to the hard work, booked my exam for Feb 2010...
    regarding the specialities i've chosen:
    1-thorax and trunk
    2- head and neck

i chose them because i feel more confident in these areas, so it is really down to your prefrences..

let me now if there is anything else you need to know about the exam

cheers
  15. DM12345

DM12345 Guest

MRCS B

dude, I am also going for MRCS B. I am going for this in Edinburgh. Do you want to study together? if so then email me at ukmanishere2007 [at] hoooottmaaiiiil dot com (i've spelt my email like this as i don't know if they allow you to post emails on here! We can study over skype etc.
  16. DM12345

DM12345 Guest

MRCS Part B

Correction dude: my email is ukmanishere2007 [at] hoootmaaaiiil dot co dot uk NOT dot com!!!! Apologies
  17. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi MEEE,
    Thank you indeed for your wonderful guidance in your post.
    I have attempted part 3(viva) earlier in Oct in Dublin, unfortunatelty i didn't succed.I decided to transfer over to the new format of MRCS part B with Edinburgh college as the time-limit for old format expires on March 2020.
    I prepared preety well for the previous exam, but luck hasn't pushed me to the success.I will appear in part B on 15 th at Edinburgh, is there major difference in types of questions betweem viva and OSCE's exam in your opinion?
    Shall i need to change the study books for OSCEs, could you please suggest particular book for OSCE.
    I would be grateul to your reply.
  18. MEEEE

MEEEE Guest

sorry for being late to reply
    with regards to the new exam style it is very different to the viva format so knowing what to read is the key to pass it, it would also save you a lot of time reading unnecessary topics and instead focus on more improtant stuff..
    i would say get a good book for anatomy, and clinical examination ( more importantly learn to present your cases becauses thats enough to pass you the exam regardless of getting the right diagnosis).
    focus less on pathology and operative surgery. actually for operative surgery all what you need to know is site of incision for most common operaions.
    critical care and physiology basics are important but dont get into too much details.
    if you need any further help please let me know..

Louai
  19. remmy

remmy Guest

hi there
    i sat for mrcs examination in feb 2010
    it is tough examination
    there is no time for unmanned stations

they focus on communication and on anatomy

you be quick and quick
    and
    quick

i willl advise to hold on for the people who have not given examination
  20. venky123

venky123 Guest

MRCS

Hi Guys ,I have finished MRCS 1and 2 .Plan to take 3 or Part B I am in India .Can any body tell me which is better .and any study partner
  21. Guest

Guest Guest

Dear MEEEE
    thank you for your guidance regarding MRCS part B exam.Great work.Could you please tell us your Feb. attempt.how did you find the exam and any stations if you remmembers.I also encourage to other people who have appeared in the exam please contribute yours experience and questions in the forum.
    Thank you
    Dr Kamran
  22. Guest

Guest Guest

Dear Venky
    Both exams are very difficult.Mrcs Part 3 you have to pass viva, clinical and communication skill and MRCS part B is a new examination no much more information available.Still Mrcs B is in changing phase and RCS has just announced new regulation.And the candidate who has appeared in exams are not sharing their views apart from afew.
    thanks
    Dr Kamran
  23. remmy

remmy Guest

mrcs b is a mess
  24. sufiyan

sufiyan Guest

mrcs patr B

Hello everybody

thanks to MEEE for your advise, i am going for part B in may 2010. could please give more informations about other stations other than anatomy.

can anyone give more information please.

with tanks
  25. Frank1234

Frank1234 Guest

May part B

Does anyone know the implications on anatomy with the changes in the exam? Will be now tested on all 3 anatomy areas that we pick?
  26. Naseem Javed

Naseem Javed Guest

MRCS Part B

Sir, Which book of anatomy do u recommend for MRCS Part B?
    In short Which books we have to study Apart from Cracking MRCS Viva & C.Parchment Smith?
    Thanks for your help. :?:
  27. Guest Dhahri

Guest Dhahri Guest

Hello!!!!
    Thank you MEEE for such great guidlines...
    I appeared in part 3 in Feb but was K.O in orals.... I prepared alot for that but didnt satisfied the examiners... my reasult was very very bad... :(
    Well now i think that still I am NOT A SAFE SURGEON.... :?
    Well now I am taking Part B in OCT....
    I am totally confused and dont know how to cop with it....
    Please guide me and help me...
  28. drjan

drjan Guest

MRCS PART 3 MAY 2010

HI,
    i appeared for mrcs part 3 edinburgh , it was just fair but still i dont know why they r still stressing on medical related condition such as bronchail pneumonia , asthma .
    well i tired to chear with you fellows these modules i had in my exam hope all of you well get benifet and clow about how the stations questions are .
    the examinar were very fair but still i have doupt about the pathology stations when they ask me about the pnumonia.

let us start with anatomy station.

ANATOMY AND OPERATIVE SURGERY
    surface anatomy of submandibular gland , relation, important structures related to it , lingual nerve , it's injury and the most common symptoms the patient use to complain of post operatively , wt is the presentation of hypoglossal nerve lesion , where do you place your incision upon submandibular gland operation .
    N.B IF THE EXAMINAR ASKE YOU TO SHOW HIM WT IS THE SURFACE ANATOMY ON A PATIENT DON’T TOUCH HIM UNLESS YOU ASK HIS PERMISSION TO . IT WILL FAIL YOU IF YOU DO SO!
    Femur bone its blood supply and the emergency of neck of femor fracture , the important of ligamentoum teres blood supply in children .
    CT abdomen and the surface anatomy of pancreas, wt's psudopancreatic cyst ?
    Wt are the supinator and pronator muscle and wt is the innervations .
    OPERATIVE .
    How do you manage pt jaundice due to unresectable head of pancrease tumor, you will start with controlling the pt general condition due jaundice as preoperative procedure , then intraoperative stenting method or CBD bypass.
    Rectal prolapse and the usual presentation , with surgical modalities , wt is the surgical option for the pt candidate to spinal anesthesia.
    Thyroid cancer , in pt 40 yr , female , diagnosed for papillary ca, wt will your modality of treatment , wt will be your advice if the patient wishing to have children in the future.
    APPLIED PHYSIOLOGY AND CRITICAL CARE.

Pt had oligue urea post op after 36 hrs
    Mention wt will be your approach to the pt and wt the most likely cause for his condition , and wt are the renal and post renal causes, wt is the mechanism of renal failure due to NSAID .
    Fluied resuscitation and the difference b/w colloid and the crystalloid , how long does 1 L of N/S last in the circulation .
    How is the blood stored , wt is the complication happened in massive transfusion.

CRITICLE CARE
    Wt is your approach to a patient with acute pancreatitis and wt will be your plan for managing his pain , the pain ladder .
    Wt are the modalities of opoied and the most common complication in the elder people . how you will manage it .
    Abdominal sepsis and how do it present , wt is the deferential diagnosis , initial management .
    3rd APPLIED PATHOLOY AND PRINCIPLE OF SURGERY .
    Wt is pneumonia ,type, common organism in lobar and bronchial pneumonia.
    Wt is most favouriable investigation for lobar and bronchial pneumonia.
    Wt is thyrotoxicosis ? wt's the most common cause? Investigation.
    Wt is lymphyedema? Causes? Modality of management?
    Wt is polyps ?types ? investigation ? risk for malignancy ?

Principles of surgery
    Wt is radiological investigation you start with in acute abdomen? Wt is the important sign you see in erect CXR ? wt is indicate of ? air below diaphragm.
    Wt tension pneumothorax? How do you insert chest tube?
    Wt is the principle of anastamosis? Wt is the different B/W colon and arterial?
    The other fellow were asked in cardiac starling law ? O2 dissociation curve ? right shift? Boher effect?
    Wt happens in sudden rising up from laying position ? how is the body responding to law BP
    How is the ventilation got controlled ?
    Wt is sepsis? And wt is the consequence ?
    Wt is burn ? how do u calculate the percentage of burn ? wt is complication and how do you manage the shock condition?
    Inferior skull foramina , how many parts in temporal bone?
    Wt is this canal . hunter canal wt are the structure passing through ?
    Wt is are facial nerve division?

wt is paget's diseas?
    :wink:
  29. Guest

Guest Guest

can somebody suggest the books to read for osce
  30. Dr.Surrendar

Dr.Surrendar Guest

MRCS-B OSCE

hi to all, i'll be appearing in glasgow exam in october 2010, can nebdy plz guide me as to what to expect in the stations, i have very little knowledge abt them, esp "clinical skills" stations...the info that the college gives is quiet confusing. I want to know as to which stations will come and how many of each subject. i have taken "trunk n abdomen" as 1st major, 2nd is "limbs n spine", 3rd is "Head n Neck". please do help me, im sure all of those ppl who have appeared can imagine the anxiety n stress levels.

Thank you.
  31. Guest

Guest Guest

hi guys
    i will enter part 3 oral exam
    i would like to know the part of the exam and any advise about how to deal with oral exam so please help
  32. dr_rizimi198

dr_rizimi198 Guest

mrcs b osce

hi
    m appearing for mrcs b in feb2011
    anyone appearing in this exam?
    and i wanna ask how z pasttest online mrcs b course?

thanx
  33. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,

I am also appearing in MRCS B OSCE in Feb 2011. I found the experiences shared here very useful. Otherwise this exam was a mystery for me.
    I have not taken any courses. I am just going through the pastest essential revision notes with a bit of Raftery here and there. Recalling all that information given in those books will be THE problem during exam i guess. Need to practice like hell. Like every exam its not about actual knowledge only, but also about organizing the knowledge into a presentable form.

Usman
    Sultanate of Oman
  34. dr. ali

dr. ali Guest

salam, i have done my mbbs from china, for mrcs can i take training in any country, e.g china or i hav to get training from specific countries........
  35. anu sandhya

anu sandhya Guest

mrcs b osce

hi there,

this is a nice forum for students who want to give mrcs b osce..
    Im going to give it in feb 2011. I wanted to ask that is there any difference in london, edinburgh or glasgow centre? people are saying that its difficult to pass from london centre than the others. is that true?
  36. romesh1985

romesh1985 Guest

The exam is pretty straightforward if you are familiar with the format of exam. I sat the exam in October 2010 and passed it first time (overall averaged 93%). I am an FY2 trainee. If you know anatomy really well, and then can take history and examine patients to final standards; its an easy exam to pass. Have a look at my blog on Internet for list of stations I had; search on google for "mrcs stations October 2010"
  37. msrini227

msrini227 Guest

mrcs B

yes friends, the info given most here is excellent..i recently cleared partA and wd like to give partB in nov 2011...so anyone giving the exam during nov 2011 can join me at msrini227 yahoo co in
  38. zayna

zayna Guest

mrcs part b

i am planning to give mrcs part b at the end of this year..anyone preparing for it ,kindly guide me from which books to study??and which preparatory courses to take.??
  39. looking 4 Mrcs PartB Studypartner

Hi i m looking for Mrcs PartB Studypartner for may 2011attempt Edin, kindly if someone can advice me regarding the OSCE stations that will be very helpfull.
  40. amsleeping

amsleeping Guest

i can be your study partner
    skypeID amsleeping