GP ST1-3 experiences ONLY + questions about GPST selection

Discussion in 'Post PLAB / Interviews / Locum' started by Guest, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

hi
    this is a new thread where we can share our GP registrar experiences and any information relating to it and the chances of work in future, try to stick to this subject only, any questions regarding GP selection process are also welcome

jga
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

hi

hi
    There are good news and bad
    The good – each deaneries are increasing the numbers of GP registrar posts over 2-3 yrs
    by atleast 10-15 %
    the bad one are the GP sector is becoming like cooperate business, its sad mainly due to some GREEDY colleagues
    well in a nut shell
    there were partnership in GP surgery where a partner earns £160,000 +, some £250,000/yr
    but now when a partner retires, its replaced with salaried GP doctor for £70,000
    but the current situation where there is more supply of GPs, the salary of salaried GPs are varying DAY by DAY, NOW from £52,000- £80,000, I mean the lower end of the salary is decreasing, I feel very strong about it because some “MORONS” high up there creating an friction between the colleagues in the future by getting themselves paid more for doing this job
    I feel its going to be bad for future colleagues including me
    They are playing mind games which can be politically motivated
    I can see running a GP surgery is like running your own business, funny enough the partners work part time and earn up to £250,000(these are real figures) and pay 1/3rd to new colleagues for 9 sessions(i.e 4.5 days/wk), its interesting and I am sure it would be more interesting
    This is not medicine
    Its interesting that recently qualified colleagues one IMG was offered a salaried GP for £52,000, while a British was lucky to get a partnership, others are very sceptical
    about the whole situation
    I think the greedy colleagues should not fall foul to these political masterminds, if its so it would be a shame
    We are thought about ethics ONLY WITH REGARD TO PATIENTS, but when with your fellow colleagues, there are no ethics , including me as when I had some complaints against me from pts, it wasn’t dealt the way it should, it shows lack of training with dealing issues by my clinical supervisor who is English, I take a step back and look
    a. I feel sorry that he lacks training
    b. DONOT forget you (me) IMG
    c. WELCOME to UK( somethings never changes)
    Everyone is answerable to their own actions, no escape
    I want to serve the local community in UK where ever I am working after gaining my training in UK, but if government thinks its smart enough , well I think its wrong, because make sure you are a step ahead
    Its serious, I would advise to all IMG to think twice if they think GP is lucrative, its history, for me its too late but I still prefer GP as I always enjoy it for some reason
    May money is better in doing locums/out of hours etc..
    Worse come to worse back to Sri Lanka or ??? ( I have already plan A,B,C)

jga
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

hi

hi
    I just wonder how many IMGs got GP rotations, i heard certain deaneries have failed to fill the posts even in second round, would be interesting to know which way its going....

Moreover why not the existing GP trainees exchange knowledge and information about the current situation, loke posting a presentations, discussing ethical dilemmas, Q&A etc..

jga
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,
    I am not sure if this is the right place to post this msg , but I really need to know something...
    Is UK a good option for your ambitious career oriented doctors??
    I graduated this yr n now I am planning to sit for PLAB. Is it a good choice.
    Please do reply.
    Thanks
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

hi
    its a good idea if we can maintain this thread for the sole purpose of the GP related...
    its difficult to pursue what you want if u r NOT British, moreover it depend what career you would like to pursue, surgery , donot day dream, O+G may be yes, medicine again not that easy, there r certain fields where feasible to enter esp. NON TRAINING PROGRAMMES ETC..

jga
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

gp training

hi jga my name is mev i am a irregular reader of ur posts. I need a piece of advice. I hav GRaduated from PAK in 2005 now hav done my plab 2 I hav completed internship in my country as well. being a female i want to prefer to go in GP profession. I hav heard that if u hav not done ur Fy1 in this country then it is difficult to go into speciality like I cannot go into ST1 GP . I am really confused shuld I apply for FY1 or 2 what shuld I do
  7. drcccccc

drcccccc Guest

Answer to Mev's question

Hi Mev, i will advise you to apply for both F1 and F2 because you dont know what chances you have. They may or may not be difficult to get so spread your chances as wide as you can.
    Good luck
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

gp

hi i was hoping for some advice. i am currently in psychiatry but want to do gp, i have worked in uk for 3 years but in non-training posts, how should i apply for gp, and if there is a chane abroad anywhere, i will go just to become gp thanks :shock:
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

hi

I am sorry guys
    I was really busy as family friends coming from sri lanka including my father for 2 weeks and busy with locums etc…
    So for mev
    I hope its not too late
    Yes the general thing is that if not both Fy 1 and 2 , its difficult to get into the preferred choice, but many have got without it also, by every year its getting tougher, being graduated in 2005 and starting in FY1 is hectic but its your choice, for an example my spouse did SHO and took FY1, I think it’s a good start and now she got job close by my hospital as FY2 which is GP friendly rotation
    One thing is sure that training jobs are filled by locals and EU, a good example –where my spouse works last year there was 6 FY2 jobs in the last round, but none this year which is close to London
    Doing both FY 1 and 2 – as told my other colleague the chances are wide

For the psychiatrist colleague keep applying, its worth trying north as chances are more as recently one of the Trust SHO got a GP rotation in Yorkshire deanery as there were less candidates to apply

jga
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

hi

hi
    after a long time, just back from sri lanka, this is a message to all gp trainees
    if u had to move to a new place for GPST 1 there r provisions where u can claim, not all know about this, my good friend from ASIA told me
    "if everyone knows they will stop these provisions"
    what a shame, i think we can never change the selfish asian policy
    guys if you have to relocate to start ur GP training, we r paid everything from stamp duty if we r buying a house, for new carpets, curtains, removals etc.... pls verify
    one of the selfish ASIAN doc has claimed £6000 ( he was a BMA member)
    selfish >>>>>>>
    guys make use of these provisions, the sooner the better before the 10-20 billion Nhs saving scheme
    jga
  11. Guest

Guest Guest

hi

hi
    some tips for akt preparation
    well this depends, for a person like me atleast 2-3 months, but i did only 1-2 months preparation, ideally everyday to prepare something would be the best option.
    I did only one online course, its good but needs revising, atleast 30-40% u can answer in akt, if you can re collect any sentence instantly, but the questions would be twisted, not straight forward.
    I think in statistics around 10-15 questions, some could answer some no idea. So need more preparation on this.
    Some questions are basic like 2nd month vaccination etc..now i forgot, no i could recollect DTaP/Hib/ well triple and pneumo, i think so...
    Practise ad remember
    some ECGs were there
    the worse part is no calculator, THIS EXAM IS ALL ABOUT TIME, at one
    point i had 90 questions and only 60 min . So practise practise and practise

Ppl are failing, exam is getting tougher
    One important advice, IF YOU DONT GET THE RIGHT ANSWER AFTER CALCULATING "CORRECTLY", I MEAN THE NUMBERS RIGHT, DONOT WASTE THINKING AND SPEDING MORE TIME, I THINK ITS A CATCH TO WASTE TIME ON SOMETHING WHICH IS WRONG, the reason i am telling is when i had a look at the previous feedbacks, the total score is 199, not 200.
    Perhaps this is intentional, beware ££££££££ down the drain, i remember the milking syndrome of UK :x

dermatology ( i studied)
    dermnet.nz
    dermatlas.com

eyes ( i studied)
    eyeatlas.??org

good luck

jga
  12. Guest

Guest Guest

hi

hi
    I failed 66 % ( pass 70%) :( , i did some silly mistakes, now i know how to prepare, one way its good as i would know better before becoming a GP. Sometimes I feel we need to know more. Moreover they have increased the pass rate, before around 60%.
    My friend passed with >80%, since there was a background of medicine and recently got through MRCP 1&2( both written). So other exams do help.
    Study hard and good luck. Sometimes I think having a second chance is good for a mediocre like me.
    jga
  13. Guest

Guest Guest

hi,

I am planning to do gp. I am not very fluent in communication. Could you please tell me whether taking any course will have any benefit in gp stage 2 selection or what are the important tips to get through the stage2. Please do reply

many thanks
  14. Guest

Guest Guest

hello sir , i have seen ur posts recently. I have completed my 12th grade and now admitted to a medical school in Georgia. Im interested in applying for PLAB and getting into UK by all merit. I just want to know after i complete my FY1 and FY2 and also my MRCP1 &2 ,how are the job opportunities and payment in UK??
  15. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey jga!...i jave applied for foundation programme and hpe to get a place in Fy1...my interest is ophthalmology and im a IMg with no british citizenship..i want to know what are the opportunities to get into a training programme after Fy's..in particularly in ophthalmology for people like us?? any word of advice?
  16. Guest

Guest Guest

hi
    its not merit- the merit goes like british citizn- eu - img( for any left over jobs no matter you are the brightest- welcome to uk,it was different during my time because there were lots of imgs, the rules were being implemented, now ppl are getting into training jobs its simply because no one to fill them, not even from eu.
    there r chances for training jobs provided there are no british or eu doctors competing, not sure about ophthalmology
    remember one thing in uk " ITS ALWAYS WORTH THE TRY"
    good luck
    jga
  17. mr khan

mr khan Guest

foundation 1

hi i from Pakistan..i wnt to know that if some one who did his internship in sub speciality like gastro or cardio, can he get into foundation 1 in UK?or has to do internal medicine? kindly reply me..i will be grateful...
  18. Guest

Guest Guest

hi

hi
    I think you can do internal medicine, but not sure about FY1 as u have done your intern.. But nowadays anything is possible, again worth the try.
    Be quick, there are gonna be changes,there are plans to scrap the 4 hour target in AE, so perhaps less doctors needed, perhaps changes in other depts soon... to cut the cost in NHS
    All the IMGs should be thankful to EWTD as more jobs due to this directive if not most of us would be back home :D
    its strange and wrong info in the media saying that 23% drop out from NHS due to lack of jobs, the English wants to do only the high flying jobs and these days there have been a cut in training jobs in these areas esp. in Surgery etc..

Now as mentioned ppl working in N. Ireland and Scotland are getting jobs around London
    I met a doc in CMT 1 medicine being in non training jobs before, as usual IMGs as hardly any English in medicine, perhaps 1-2/10, the rest are either IMGs or EU( majority are still IMGs)

EU are in peds, gynae, psychiatry etc... traditionally these are the least competed departments, I am sure there is no way that these depts exist without IMGs, atleast for the time being..

if you want to do medicine esp. care of the elderly then yes there is a chance in Uk for IMGs, but if u want to do gastro, maybe, but cardiology - its a dream come true again welcome to UK)
  19. mr khan

mr khan Guest

thanks

thanks for the reply..u have been very helpful to all the forum...
    keep the forum lively..
    thanks again..
  20. Guest

Guest Guest

Thx jga for ur words of advice..really means a lot!,,tc
  21. redrose

redrose Guest

gp books

hi,
    i am preparing for gp exam this year, just wanted to ask if any body have gp exam books which i can buy?

Thanks
  22. Guest

Guest Guest

hi

hi
    guys there is a good book for csa - SYMPTOM SORTER BY KEITH HOPCROFT AND VINCENT FORTE 4E, its worth reading before csa

work hard for csa as the pass rate is 40%
    jga
  23. Guest

Guest Guest

hi

hi
    I found another simple book for statistics for akt
    written by GP
    its very simplified to understand this stupid subject

"medical statistics made easy" 2nd edition
    M.Harris and G.Taylor
  24. Guest

Guest Guest

hi

hi
    i am taking csa in March 2011, anyone for skype chat, please let me know on email jojosri@yahoo.com
    regards
    jga
  25. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi

The good news is I passed my AKT in Jan 2011 and took CSA in March 2011( awaiting results). I took AKT for 3 times.
    My personal experiences about akt
    Atleast 2 months of preparation
    Whatever online course u do, do it completely and few things to read like statistics and administration in detail from other sources ( eg. Read more about caldicott guardian)

With regard to CSA

Sorry I can’t discuss individual cases

Its not a hard as I thought, this doesn’t mean that I would pass. Few tips

No sooner you enter your room, sit and read the pt summaries and also could be read even during the break period 15 min after 7 consultations ( total 13 )

Check out the targeted examination videos in e gp ( need gmc number and fisrt password used for the eportfolio)

Most important – read the CKS patient leaflets for all common ailments which we encounter day to day life

NEVER upset a patient

They check are u a “SAFE GP†beware beware beware ( worth checking the 2week referral guidelines and mood disorder

Time mx is important, but not feasible in all cases ( think that in reality certain consultations do run over time, listening and empathy is off paramount importance than scoring marks )

Again, REMEMBER its your normal GP consultations

NO right or wrong answers

When asked what are you looking in csa – the answer was “ would the examiner be happy for his mother to be seen by youâ€

Have a format
    Hx taking
    ICE
    PSO ( psychosocial + occupation) important
    PMHx + DHx
    Fhx
    Extra – travel hx etc…
    Examination
    Explanation
    f/u and safety netting
    pt happy – u pass, if not GOK( God only knows)

good luck

jga
  26. Guest

Guest Guest

tnx jga, I think I have followed the course of your medical career since I started browsing through this website in 2005. I am now applying for the round 2 GP training. It seemed very competitive now looking at the available training programs left. Can you give me ADVISE on the prioritization station. Cheers
  27. Guest

Guest Guest

hi
    Since its a long time, I am not the right person. Last year my friend went to a course and did well in these exams.

Recently we had a meeting with assitant dean - accepted that if you r a local graduate there s 95% chance to pass and now there are 297 ST1 posts just only in our deanery. This was only 97 ST1 posts 3 yrs ago.

Moreover if the ST3 extension runs out for taking the csa exam, whoever before 2009 entrees, can stil sit umlimited times csa provided there are IN ANY TRAINING PROGRAMME IN UK( hot news)

I failed my csa, i am not surprised as the RCGP are need of money for their new building in london. Just like the gmc did with the plab 2 money and kicked the IMGs out after its completion. As usual welcome to uk to the chronic milking syndrome in the medical preofessional. I think the rcgp should name one of their rooms in the buiding as money collected from IMGs through csa exam fees.

Its interesting that myself and my old friend( local graduate) took the exam on the same day and we discussed few scenarios and my other friend lost hope as she did not perform very well in those cases we discussedand thought she might fail, but passed with some interesting mx plan. If these are made public and challenged by IMGS together, i think rcgp can be expecting a bit of trouble.

I would ask all stations + all candidates to be videoed and see on what basis these marking scheme done by a independant unbiased body, I CAN TELL YOU THESE RCGP WILL HAVE SOME FUN.

My dear fellow colleagues, please try to be impartial before its too late

Interesting two banks were charging undue fees from me, my brother and other customers for various reasons, unfortunately these were 2 banks hardest hit in the recession and had to be bailed out with the tax payers money and raised the vat etc...
    when these banks make profits, does it goes to government and on the long run what happens to the poor citizens and their vat( good game or cleverly thought)

gtg for a movie f&f5