How to match Headings to Paragraphs in IELTS Reading (Part III)

Discussion in 'IELTS Forum' started by saru74, Jun 27, 2011.

1. saru74

saru74 Guest

Hi again! This week has been very cold in the beautiful Brizzy (Brisbane) but today there is a shiny sun in the sky. I am eager to write another post in my IELTS blog.

Let's continue with Matching Heading to Paragraphs exercise that we already started three weeks ago.

Paragraph three:

C. This has been the basis - along with an existing written corpus –for the Language Activator dictionary, described by lexicographer Professor Randolph Quirk as “the book the world has been waiting forâ€. It shows advanced foreign learners of English how the language is really used. In the dictionary, key words such as “eat†are followed by related phrases such as “wolf down†or “be a picky eaterâ€, allowing the student to choose the appropriate phrase.

Which of this Heading is the right one for this paragraph?

List of Headings

i. Grammar is corrected

ii. New method of research

iii. Technology learns from dictionaries

iv. Non-verbal content

v. The first study of spoken language

vi. Traditional lexicographical methods

vii. Written English tells the truth

viii. New phrases enter dictionary

ix. A cooperative research project

x. Accurate word frequency counts

xi. Alternative expressions provided

First step: Understand what you read. This means that you should make your own mental overview. A good technique for this is paraphrasing.

I understand this:

The Language Activator dictionary is the book that Advanced English foreigners learners has been waiting for because this not only shows main words but how to use them in daily speech expressions.

After that, you should identify key words from the paragraph. These are my key words: Randolph Quirk, Language Activator dictionary, the book the world has been waiting for, key words are followed by related phrases, allowing the student to choose the appropriate phrase.

Next, let's analyze each heading and leave our candidate answers (my thoughts are in red color):

i. Grammar is corrected

There is nothing related to grammar in this paragraph

ii. New method of research

There is nothing related to method of research in this paragraph

iii. Technology learns from dictionaries

There is nothing related with "technology learns from dictionaries" in this paragraph

iv. Non-verbal content

There is nothing related to non-verbal content

v. The first study of spoken language

There is nothing related to the first study of spoken language

vi. Traditional lexicographical methods

There is nothing related to traditional lexicographical methods

vii. Written English tells the truth

Are you kidding me?

viii. New phrases enter dictionary

"Key words are followed by related phrases" (Line 3 and 4). There is a link with this heading.

ix. A cooperative research project

There is nothing related to cooperative research project in this paragraph.

x. Accurate word frequency counts

No way!

This heading matches with the keywords that I already have selected: "Key words are followed by related phrases" and "Allowing the student to choose the appropriate phrase".

Ok, we have only two possible answers. Which one is the best title for paragraph C?

Let's have a look to the last three lines of the paragraph:

In the dictionary, key words such as “eat†are followed by related phrases such as “wolf down†or “be a picky eaterâ€, allowing the student to choose the appropriate phrase.

This really means that this dictionary provides expressions which are linked to key words. The students can choose which is the best one according to the context (I am using my paraphrasing technique again).

After this, there is only one Heading which matches perfectly to this paragraph:

Go to google and check my blog "How I beat the IELTS" for more useful tips!

See ya!

Samy