How to match Headings to Paragraphs in IELTS Reading Section (Part II)

Discussion in 'IELTS Forum' started by saru74, Jun 5, 2011.

1. saru74

saru74 Guest

Hi there! I already found a comfortable place in the State Library of Queensland (one of my favourite places in Brisbane city, Australia) and I am ready for a new post related to the IELTS Reading Section.

How to match Headings to Paragraphs is the topic that I was explaining the last weekend and today we will continue with the same exercise that we already started.

Second paragraph:

B. For the first time, dictionary publishers are incorporating real, spoken English into their data. It gives lexicographers (people who write dictionaries) access to a more vibrant, up-to-date vernacular language which has never really been studied before. In one project, 150 volunteers each agreed to discreetly tie a Walkman recorder to their waist and leave it running for anything up to two weeks. Every conversation they had was recorded. When the data was collected, the length of tapes was 35 times the depth of the Atlantic Ocean. Teams of audio typists transcribed the tapes to produce a computerised database of ten million words.
    Which of this Headings is the best for this paragraph?

List of Headings
    i. Grammar is corrected
    ii. New method of research
    iii. Technology learns from dictionaries
    iv. Non-verbal content
    v. The first study of spoken language
    vi. Traditional lexicographical methods
    vii. Written English tells the truth
    viii. New phrases enter dictionary
    ix. A cooperative research project
    x. Accurate word frequency counts
    xi. Alternative expressions provided

As I said in my last post, after reading the paragraph you should make your own overview. I do mean, you have to understand what you are reading. In my case, I understand this:

For the first time, lexicographers have access to new words that people really use in their daily speech. One project was launched in order to collect daily conversations (using a tape recorder: Walkman) and the result was a ten million words database.

This technique is called "paraphrasing" that I will explain in my next post. For now, let's finish with this example.

The next step is to identify the key words: first time, lexicographers, up-to-date vernacular language, project, Walkman recorder, every conversation was recorded, database of ten million words.

Next, let's analyze each one and leave our candidate answers:

i. Grammar is corrected
    There is nothing related with grammar in this paragraph
    Research and project are similar and the way that conversations were collected might be "new method". I will take this one.
    iii. Technology learns from dictionaries
    There is nothing related with "technology learns from dictionaries" in this paragraph
    iv. Non-verbal content
    There is nothing related with non-verbal content
    First study could be a project. Spoken languages means conversation. (Line7) I will take this one.
    vi. Traditional lexicographical methods
    There is nothing related with traditional lexicographical methods.
    vii. Written English tells the truth
    No way!
    Up-to-date vernacular language and conversations are similar. mmm I will take this one.
    ix. A cooperative research project
    Cooperative research project could involve volunteers or non-volunteers, but what exactly "cooperative research project" means is when researches and end-users work together in a research project. This is not mentioned in the paragraph.
    x. Accurate word frequency counts
    No way!
    xi. Alternative expressions provided
    There is nothing related with alternative expressions.
    Ok guys, one of these three alternatives is the right answer. Let's analyze deeply:

Research and project are similar and the way that conversations were collected might be "new method".

I still like this heading because the method of collecting data (using a Walkman tape recorder) was new by that time. This is mentioned in the last seven lines of the paragraph.

First study could be a project. Spoken languages means conversation. (Line 7)

According to the paragraph , the aim of this project was to collect new words in order to incorporate them in dictionaries. This is totally different to study the spoken language. Gotcha!

Up-to-date vernacular language and new phrases are similar.

This is was the paragraph says in the first four lines. I will still keep this one.
    Finally, we have only two alternatives. Which is the best heading which match properly to the second paragraph?

TIP three: When you face two possible answers, you should choose which one represents better the paragraph.

In order to explain this much better I will show a table: (which you can see much better in my blog "How I beat the IELTS)

New phrases enter dictionary
    Number of lines in the paragraph: 4
    Scope of the heading: This title does not mention anything about the project which is an essential part in the paragraph.

New method of research
    Number of lines in the paragraph: 7
    Scope of the heading: This title mentions the most important part of the paragraph: the new way of collecting data. As a result of this method, new phrases and words entered dictionaries.

After this analysis, the answer is clear:

So, what do you think? Can you incorporate this technique into your arsenal? I know that this will take time and my advice is to resolve many Matching Headings to Paragraphs exercises without time. You have to develop this technique properly and only then you should try to resolve this kind of question under the pressure of time.

Well guys, see you next week and don't forget to study hard but enjoy life too!

Cheers!

Samy
    Visit my blog How I beat the IELTS
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011