just few tips to pass mrcs p3 in one chance

Discussion in 'MRCS Forum' started by Guest, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

hi everyone
    i am dr asif from dhaka bangladesh. i have completed my mrcs exam last may from edinburgh. i managed to pass all 3 components in one chance and thought if any one want any help, let me know. i passed part1 and 2 also in one chance but it was on 2007. since then i was very busy with my local post graduation exam. i have already started a course in dhaka for mrcs p3. and thought if any one need any tips from overseas let me know. i will be glad to help. this exam is just a matter of technicality rather than blind studies. take care everyone.
    asif
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

anatomy viva

hi everyone

today i will give u some basic tips for antomy viva. the way i prepared my self and which really helped me a lot. as u all know in part3 viva u have 3 boards where 6 subjects will be there. and one board is about anatomy and operative surgery.
    i will give u some basic tips for natomy today.

in antomy viva basically there are 5 segments and u may be asked any 3 or 4 or even in my case 5 segments were asked.

1. the 1st one is bones:

u will be given a bone in ur exam by the examiner and u should start immediately with the basic description. eg if u r handed over a clavicle u should start with the name, which side it belong, and basic description. and then ur examiner will stop u and asked some most imp antomical and some basic clinical things related to it. eg. in case of clavicle u start by saying this is a clavicle and this is a right one because the medial or sternal end is quadrangular, the lateral or the acromial end is flattened, the body has medial 2/3rd which is convex anteriorly and lat 1/3rd which is concave anteriorly, and there is a shallow groove on the inferior surface of medial 2/3rd for attachment of subclavius muscle. then u describe the basic parts in the mean time ur examiner will stop u and inclavicle the common questions asked are why this is an atypical long bone and where most commonly # occurs, complication of # clavicle and management only the principles not in deatils. so thats how u should prepare ur bone parts and give more emphasis on the major bones, including vetebrae, ribs, articulated hand, articulated foot. practice with a collegue and increase ur fluency.
    i was given 2 bones clavicle and humerus and it went pretty well. dont go for evry muscle attachment just the major ones. u will do fine therby.

2. 2nd one is images:
    u will be handed over an image and u just have to say what type of image this is, what level its showing (in CTS or MRI of abd and thorax), what are the structures showing there. there will be never a pathological image only normal ones. the common ones are CXR, CTS,MRI of abd, thorax, DSA, IVU, Ba enema ( mainly double contrast), ERCP, MRCP, PTC.
    i was given 2 images one CXR, and other was DSA. they just asked me about the structures seen.
    for images i advice u go through internet, take a search in google image and u will find all the images i mentioned. prepare what u r going to say if u handed over one, and u will pass easily.

3. 3rd one is models or specimens of viscera:
    all major organs and visceral will be there. they will show u one and u pick it up and started to decsribe it that this is a viscrea or model of this organs, here is this parts, namely the major border and surfaces no need to go through any histology or microscopic things. just the superficial structures. eg i was given a model of duodenum,pancreas, spleen with portal vein and its formation by sup mes vein and splenic vein. i started to describe the specimen just what i was seeing and then they asked me about the parts of pancras and how portal vein formed,nothing else. it was damn easy.
    i think if u read ur anatomy book whichever u like because the things that are asked are in all books. but take help of an atlas must.
    i read BD chaurasia and Nitter atlas, and not even all just the basic things. make sure u go through an atlas vigorously beacuse that what u will remeber in exam.

4. 4th one is dissection:
    now the examiner will guide u to some dissected body either whole or just a chunk like abd, thorax or lower limb etc. u will be asked to show the contents mainly just they will ask u the major compnenets of thst dissction and some relevant very basic clinical questions. i was shown a thoracic cavity where hear lungs all were taken out just showing the post mediastinum, they asked me to show symp trunk, major vessels and ask what is the contents, thats all. so its also very easy.
    the common dissectionsare, neck triangles, thorax mediastinum, abd ant and post wall, upper limb bracial plexus, hand muscles, major arteries, leg compartements.
    in here u should also take the help of an atlas, its a must.

5, last one is surface marking
    here the examiner will take to an actor to whom he will introduce u, and then will ask u to show the surface marking. common are the GSV, SSV, spinal root of XI nerve, neck triangle boundaries (just show them wher the muscles should be no need to say surface markings), axillary boundaries, parotid duct, lung, pleura, heart.

for books i am not fussy about any books what i feel u should read that anatomy book which u r comfortable. i read BD and please dont go through goodfellow, cracking mrcs or mc carthy for viva jsut look at their topics and try to read it from a book but most importantly go through a good atlas. it really helps.

thats all for today. i hope it will help you i will be posting the other subjects sequentially and if anyone have any querries feel free to ask.
    after the viva i will try to cover clinical and comm skill as well.

best of luck everyone and hope u can make it in 1st chance as i did.

Dr. Asif
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

anatomy viva

hi everyone

today i will give u some basic tips for antomy viva. the way i prepared my self and which really helped me a lot. as u all know in part3 viva u have 3 boards where 6 subjects will be there. and one board is about anatomy and operative surgery.
    i will give u some basic tips for natomy today.

in antomy viva basically there are 5 segments and u may be asked any 3 or 4 or even in my case 5 segments were asked.

1. the 1st one is bones:

u will be given a bone in ur exam by the examiner and u should start immediately with the basic description. eg if u r handed over a clavicle u should start with the name, which side it belong, and basic description. and then ur examiner will stop u and asked some most imp antomical and some basic clinical things related to it. eg. in case of clavicle u start by saying this is a clavicle and this is a right one because the medial or sternal end is quadrangular, the lateral or the acromial end is flattened, the body has medial 2/3rd which is convex anteriorly and lat 1/3rd which is concave anteriorly, and there is a shallow groove on the inferior surface of medial 2/3rd for attachment of subclavius muscle. then u describe the basic parts in the mean time ur examiner will stop u and inclavicle the common questions asked are why this is an atypical long bone and where most commonly # occurs, complication of # clavicle and management only the principles not in deatils. so thats how u should prepare ur bone parts and give more emphasis on the major bones, including vetebrae, ribs, articulated hand, articulated foot. practice with a collegue and increase ur fluency.
    i was given 2 bones clavicle and humerus and it went pretty well. dont go for evry muscle attachment just the major ones. u will do fine therby.

2. 2nd one is images:
    u will be handed over an image and u just have to say what type of image this is, what level its showing (in CTS or MRI of abd and thorax), what are the structures showing there. there will be never a pathological image only normal ones. the common ones are CXR, CTS,MRI of abd, thorax, DSA, IVU, Ba enema ( mainly double contrast), ERCP, MRCP, PTC.
    i was given 2 images one CXR, and other was DSA. they just asked me about the structures seen.
    for images i advice u go through internet, take a search in google image and u will find all the images i mentioned. prepare what u r going to say if u handed over one, and u will pass easily.

3. 3rd one is models or specimens of viscera:
    all major organs and visceral will be there. they will show u one and u pick it up and started to decsribe it that this is a viscrea or model of this organs, here is this parts, namely the major border and surfaces no need to go through any histology or microscopic things. just the superficial structures. eg i was given a model of duodenum,pancreas, spleen with portal vein and its formation by sup mes vein and splenic vein. i started to describe the specimen just what i was seeing and then they asked me about the parts of pancras and how portal vein formed,nothing else. it was damn easy.
    i think if u read ur anatomy book whichever u like because the things that are asked are in all books. but take help of an atlas must.
    i read BD chaurasia and Nitter atlas, and not even all just the basic things. make sure u go through an atlas vigorously beacuse that what u will remeber in exam.

4. 4th one is dissection:
    now the examiner will guide u to some dissected body either whole or just a chunk like abd, thorax or lower limb etc. u will be asked to show the contents mainly just they will ask u the major compnenets of thst dissction and some relevant very basic clinical questions. i was shown a thoracic cavity where hear lungs all were taken out just showing the post mediastinum, they asked me to show symp trunk, major vessels and ask what is the contents, thats all. so its also very easy.
    the common dissectionsare, neck triangles, thorax mediastinum, abd ant and post wall, upper limb bracial plexus, hand muscles, major arteries, leg compartements.
    in here u should also take the help of an atlas, its a must.

5, last one is surface marking
    here the examiner will take to an actor to whom he will introduce u, and then will ask u to show the surface marking. common are the GSV, SSV, spinal root of XI nerve, neck triangle boundaries (just show them wher the muscles should be no need to say surface markings), axillary boundaries, parotid duct, lung, pleura, heart.

for books i am not fussy about any books what i feel u should read that anatomy book which u r comfortable. i read BD and please dont go through goodfellow, cracking mrcs or mc carthy for anatomy viva jsut look at their topics and try to read it from a book but most importantly go through a good atlas. it really helps.

thats all for today. i hope it will help you i will be posting the other subjects sequentially and if anyone have any querries feel free to ask.
    after the viva i will try to cover clinical and comm skill as well.

best of luck everyone and hope u can make it in 1st chance as i did.

Dr. Asif
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

hi evryone

if anyone from bangladesh want to talk personally u can call me at 01711335576. i have already started a course and if anyone is interested can contact me.

Dr. Asif
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

hi everyone

last time i talked about anatomy. today i want to post about operative surgery. but as there is no reply of the previous one, i think i will stop here and if any one interested then i will proceed further.

1st of all the only book u need to study for operative surgery is Mokbel and thats all. it will help u in operative surgery, principles of surgery and also in pathology. u just need to read dislocation of shoulder from good fellow and carotid endarterctomy from cracking mrcs. otherwise every other topics are in mokbel.

now to answer in any operative surgery try to follow a prepared protocol for all of it. and whatever questions u are asked try to answer it with that protocol. eg ushould start ur answer with:
    a. counselling and consent and preperation (if any imp point to be mentioned here for eg in case of thyroid surgery the pt should be made euthyroid before operation like that u should describe, otherwise just mention the heading)

b. marking of site (if required)

c. positioning in operation theatre

d. anaesthesia

e. skin preparation and drapping

f. incision (mention which structure u will cut to reach the pathological site)

g. inspection

h. operative procedure in short (only imp steps)

i. proper haemostasis and drain (if any)

j. closure (how)

u may never get the chance to tell all the points but still if u mention the headings then examiner will guide u to specific things if he wants but u shouldnot forget to mention the headings. and if u even never heard of any operation before or dont know the answer atleast with this protocol u can go some steps and then u can mention that u have never seen that particular operation before, the examiner never will mind and will certainly change the topics.

same thing happened to me. my 1st question was chest drain and it went completely ok, second was acute limb ischaemia followed by femoral embolectomy and it went pretty well too. i didn t miss a single question here but last topic was DHS insertion and as i have never seen the operation before it wa really difficult for me to memorize. so when the question was asked i started with the protocol and the basic principles when it is done and then i tell them the truth i have never seen it before , so then they asked me about he basic principles of fracture neck femur management and it was very easy for me. and i passed.

actually i got 22 out of 24 in viva. and i only got 3 in 2 subjects and 4 in the rest 4.

so u see just go with the protocol and operative surgery wont be any problem at all.

with best of luck to everyone. hope u do fine.

Dr. Asif
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

hi dr asif,
    congraulations .
    the tips given are very informative and it would be very helpful if you could continue with your series.

regards.
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

applied physiology

hi everyone

lets talk about physiology today.

first of all for physiology u need to read goodfellow and any of ur previous physiology text or guide book.

i did good fellow and one of my first year guide of physiology and thats more than enough.

the thing u need to do before study is divide the topics in chapters. the only problem with good fellow is this book is not structured rather the common questions that are asked are in those book. and u must read those but in a strutcured way.

eg 1st u divide the chapters and the chapters are:

general physiology: only one question here action potential
    respiratory
    cardiovascular
    endocrine: more important in pathology and critical care
    blood
    renal
    bodyfluid and electrolyte: Na, K, Ca homeostasis
    disgestive system
    nervous system: reflex, knee jerk, spinal cord section, pain pathway
    others: thermoregulation, Valsalva manouvre

these are the broad headings now u divide the topics of good fellow in this sections and also follow ur own physiology book (preferrably a guide book) and it will do.

2nd important things are diagram.
    sometimes u may be asked to draw a diagram or u may do it spontaneously to make ur answer more clear.

the following diagram are commonly askes:
    1. action poptential curve
    2. cardiac action potential vs sk. muscle action potential
    3. lung volume and capacities
    4. o2 hb dissocation curve
    5. frank starling law
    6. starling's law of capillary shift
    7. blod coagulation cascade
    8. JVP or CVP
    9. valsalva manouvre with bp change
    10. draw the curve when catheter passing from SVC to PA with PCWP

thats all for physiology. just go through the toipics and practice the diagram and its a matter of nothing.

the reason i am emphasising on reading a text or guide book is because when u wil be asked a question in viva they will initially give u a minute or so, then asked u some relevent question and if u havents read that topics as achapter basis from any text or guide book, it become very hard to answer than.

eg. i was asked in physiology
    thermoregulation
    metabolism
    blood pressure regulation

good fellow is very well written for thermoregulation but when i had completed describing the whole procedure than they asked me about the mechanism of thermogenesis and lysis. eg why vaso constriction cause thermogenesis, or shivering cause thermogenesis etc. i managed to answer all because only i read the things from my guide book. but obviusly its ur personal choice if u want to go through only good fellow that is also good enough. but i never felt confident about that. and the end result was full marks in physiology viva.

so just study those things and u will be fine.

best of luck for ur exam

Dr. Asif
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

nice

hi
    cong for passing the exam , i passed 1&2 and iam preparing for part 3

iam littile confuse about the study source and shall i take moke exam as prepration for the final
    i will be glad for any tips
    allah kariem
    :D
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

hi

regarding ur last reply. congratulation for pasising mrcs part1 & 2.
    regarding part 3 mock exams are really helpful. but i dont know where are u from? so check out ur local centers for any course available.

for viva if u can follow my tips i think that will be enough.
    i will also be writing about comm skill and clinical soon. that i hope will help u as it helped me a lot.

if u can manage to sit for mock exam that will obviously be helpful but before u sit for the exam prepare ur syllabus. i mean complete ur study and then sit for the mock otherwise it will just demoralize u.

bets of luck for ur exam.

Dr. Asif
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

by the way last post was mine i forgot to log in.
    take care

dr asif
  11. surg18

surg18 Guest

Dr. Asif Congratulations on passing n that too in first attempt.

I am preparing for part- 3.
    Plz tell me realistically how much time is needed to prepare along with residency.
    And do complete your series.
    thanx
  12. Guest

Guest Guest

reply to surg18

hi dr

thanks

if u r doing residency and as well as preperaing for part 3, the combination is pretty good.

viva: for viva u need to study and there are no other options and for that i think 3 months will be max for u as u or on residency programme.

clinical: u just prcatice during ur duty hour on ur patients, that will save u bothe time and stress.

comm skill: start a group of atleast 3 doctors and start practising comm skill on playing the role of actor, one examinee and the other as examiner. change ur position repeatitively and u will find it really helpful.

so sum up 3 months i think is good enough if u concentrate 100 percent. but just remeber one thing mrcs passing is a matter of organising ur studies and delivering them appropriately not just burdening ur brain with heavy books.

hope it help u. take care

Dr. Asif
  13. surg18

surg18 Guest

Thanx for a useful n prompt reply
  14. Guest

Guest Guest

critical care

hi everyone

today i will be giving u some tips regarding critical care.

1st of all in critical care u have to decide which book u want to read.

i prefer Kanani critical care and good fellow. but u can also read Book 1 and 2 of past test for that.

either kanani or book 1 & 2 plus good fellow - thats all u need for critical care.

there will be some topics overlapping with physiology or pathology in critical care. but thats the main thing about mrcs. when u complete ur 6 subjects u will see each will help u to prepare the others and at the end of session u will have complete and structured material for ur viva.

i was asked in critical care
    1. chronic limb ischaemia
    2. management of intestinal fistula
    3. ITU infection.

the questions were pretty straight forward and answers were too.

the way i prepared for critical care is first read the kanani critical care book and then good fellow. and u dont need to study all the topics of kanani either. just go through the important ones and it will be fine.

critical care is one of the subjects where the percentage of passing is very high. so dont worry just read the way i did and it will be just matter of time for u to pass.

best of luck to all

Dr. Asif
  15. Guest

Guest Guest

Principles of surgery

hi everyone

about principles of surgery and critical care the basic thing is its sooo huge u can never complete its syllabus.

but for mrcs both of this subjects are very limited.

i have already talked about critical care and in case of POS the procedure is also same.

1st decide ur book.

i think the best way is just go through good fellow and cracking mrcs thats what i did. read the topics in there and thats all.
    if u remember in operative surgery i told u about mokbel operative surgery book. and u will find a lot of topics andinformation of POS there also.

so for POS good fellow and cracking mrcs and the preperation is finished.

in POS and Critical care the pass rate is very high because there are very limited topics are asked in exam and all of them are in good fellow and cracking.

so read only these 2 books and enjoy another pass in viva subject.

good day to everyone

Dr. Asif
  16. please continue.
  17. Abdul 2005

Abdul 2005 Guest

part 2

Congratulations Mr. Asif

any tips about part 1 paper 1.. i sat the last 2 exams.. i managed to pass paper 2 from first attempt.. but i found paper 1 really hard for me, i spend more than one min in each q. that is by the end of the time i am still 20 to 30 questions behind, so i just go and fill the answers all in the last very end which is unlikely to be true....

any tricks to avoid this problem please..

thank u
  18. Guest

Guest Guest

Dear Dr Asif
    your guidance regarding viva exam is fantastic and you are doing such a great Job.I think you have passed viva recently so your experiences are very helpful for us.Iam appearing on 28 sept 2009 from edinburgh and only one and half month left so please share your experiences as soon as possible.Also tell us regarding Pathology and could you give the title of Physiology guide which you have studied.Can you also give us some site where we can get viva questions because really I haven tried in google typing MRCS 3 viva questions but haven't found questions.Hope you would reply my query soon.
    Thank you very much
    Dr Shahid
  19. Guest

Guest Guest

hi everyone

sorry for the belated reply. i was a bit busy with my hospital and my first batch of mrcs examinees. no worry i will continue my post regularly i hope.

hi Dr. Shahid - best of luck on ur attempt for mrcs p3. i hope u do fine. regarding ur questions, searching google will not help for viva questions, rather if u search the forums like this one u will find lots and lots of questions. there are a lot of forums discuss about mrcs part 3. u just search for mrcs forums and will help u for sure. but let me remind u about one thing and be very clear about it, dont just run for questions rather try to learn the topics. cause the day before my exam 3 of my colleagues appeared at the viva, and they all told me that the exam was like they will start with a topics and then they will just ask u questions about it. but when i sat for the exam he scenario was different, other than anatomy they just gave me a topic and i went on whatever i know about that and they hardly interrept me. so my inference was if u know about the topics properly and have a good presentation ability its just ur speech they will listen, they will only interrupt when u have made a mistake or said something wrong. but if u fumble or stammered during ur anwers they will take it as a sign of lack of knowledge. so just be bold on the viva and whenever u r asked about u a topic just start wiith a good introduction and then give the immportant details. let me give u an example in 2 scenario:
    1st case: examiner asked "ok dr tell me something about thyroid carcinoma"
    nervous candidate: started with thyroid carcinoma types and then stop. so the examiner had to interrupt ok so how u would diagnose, again just the answer FNAC, now the examiner is really irritated and then last question was what is the fallacy of FNAC in thyroid carcinoma. candidate answered as it can not differentiate between follicular adenoma and carcinoma and again he stops talking and this go on. so u see that the examiner had to asked him several questions to bring out the answers though all the answer was correct its very hard that he will get something beyond 3. and if he missed a single topic then sure fail which is very common, that u may be asked about something u dont know in the viva. and this one was a real scenario.
    now follow what happenned if u r confident or a bit well prepared.

confident candidate: for same question his answer started with thyroid carcinoma is one of the imp malgnancy in the whole world. it can be classified as ( give the classification), now i am going to say few important topics about each one (then he started with papillary, then follicular, anaplastic, medullary & lymphoma), now about the diagnosis (started with history , exam, inv) named the inv as for diagnosis, staging and for general status evaluation, and when he came to FNAC same question was asked what is the fallacy and the best way to answer is
    " the fallacy of FNAC in diagnosing thyroid carcinoma is that it cant differentiate between follicaular adenoma nd carcinoma because FNAC is only cytological diagnosis and to differentiate between f.adenoma and carcinoma we need to know about the capsular or the pericapsular blood vessel invasion of malignanat cell and the only way to do that is histopath study" so ur answer is complete as well u cover the whole 3 mins alloted to u. this thing happened with me and the examiner just gave me a smile and told me that lets change the topic, and thats how it went.

i am not bragging just showing u the right way. hope it helped u .

best of luck

Dr. Asif (01711335576)
  20. Guest

Guest Guest

for paper 1

hi doctor

tahnks for ur reply. actually i sat for paper 1 in 2006 just after my fcps part1 and that time there wetre only true false questions, no SBA. but the basic priciple is u just started with the questions and omit if u dont know or think that u might have some difficulities regarding the answer. in my paper 2 when i start the exam i found about 7-8 questions in the beginning that i dont know or i have to guess. i was a bit panicked for sure but just went on with my principles and turn the pages and start with the rest of questions, and the latter one was easy for me. so i get to finish it within time even i got to revise my topics wher i ahd some querries. remeber the first answer that pops up in ur head is probably the right answer and when u come to check for the second time dont go through those questions where u r sure only checked those where u were confused or made guesses. but never let any single questions keep u busy. i actually dont know how many questions u got to answer now inppaper 1. but u pbviously know that, divide ur time with the questions and u will get the correct time for every answer.
    in my paper 2 i had to answer 153 questions in 3 hour so its just a bit more than 1 minute per questions and i went on like that, whenever i missed one i just skip it and shif to the next question. for pass u have to answer correctly max 65%. so when i finished the paper on my first try i count that only 20 questions was left. so i am sure to pass. then i just give time for the rest of questions.
    as u have passed the part2 so u have enough knowledge, u just need to calculate ur time and dont worry about the questions u dont know because on the next page there are questions waiting for u which answers u know pretty well.
    hope this help u

wish u very good luck

Dr. Asif
  21. Guest

Guest Guest

pathology viva

hi everyone

today i would like to talk about pathology viva. now here is a bit problem with the books, i actually preffered to read any systemic pathology from Baily and Love, u may find it easier in BOOk 1&2 (past test), no big deal about it just go through the topics.

i preferred Good fellow, cracking MRCS and B&Ls for pathology.

what i did i select the imp topics and categorized that first:
    eg:

A. General pathology:
    1. cell injury: necrosis, apoptosis, gangrene
    2. cellular adaptation: all 4 types def with example, pathological calcification
    3. inflammation: acute vs chronic, sequele of ac. inflamm, abscess, ulcer
    4. wound healing: best written in crack, complication, fracture healing, factors affecting
    5. hemodynamics: oedema, thrombosis, DVT, embolism , Pulm.emb, Shock, infarction
    6. neoplasia: all def, carcinogen and genesis, paraneoplastic syndrome, oncogene proto oncogene, tumour suppressor gene, tum.marker,
    7. amyloidosis: good fellow is sufficient

B. microbiology:
    1. HIV
    2. H. pylori
    3. Clostridia
    4. Gm stain

C. Systemic pathology:
    1. orthopaedics:
    2. thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal
    3. stomach: PUD and pyloric stenosis only
    4. oesophagus
    5. liver, gall bladder, pancreas, spleen
    6. intestine: FAP, IBD, colorectal carcinoma, polyp
    7. renal: stone, malignancy
    8. testis: torsion, malignancy
    9. skin malignancy
    10. brain tumour
    11. vascular: varicose vein, lymphoedema, arterial occlusion disease, leg ulcers
    12.lung: carcinoma only

i actuallly divide the topics on the basis of baily and love, u can do it any way u like. and the topics inside the head lines are the common one u know about, dont read any unfamiliar topics, but please try to practice these topics with ur partner or colleagues as much as u can. thats the only way u will be able to deliver the answer properly otherwise how much u know wont help u if u stammer in the viva board in front of examiner.

i was asked in pathology viva:
    1. thyroid carcinoma
    2. clostridia
    3. lymphoedema

best of luck to every one and hope these viva suggessions help u. if u have any specific questions feel free to ask, i will try to answer.

fro next day we will start with clinical sessions.

take care for now

Dr. Asif
  22. Guest

Guest Guest

Dear Dr asif
    you are really great human being.You are helping in such a good way that its not possible for everyone like you.I think more than 500 candidates atleast appear after every 4 months in MRCS viva exam from the 4 royal colleges.But its really disappointing that a few people like you are sharing their experiences.I am pretty sure that before going to exam many of them must have gone through this forum but after appearing the exam they won't share their questions or experiences to others and its really shamefull.They can't understand if you help someone God will help you in your troubles.
    Anyhow thank you very much for your great work and I am sure many people are getting advantage of that but even may be difficult for them to write a word of thanks.
    Keep it up.
    Could you please guide me any guide book for Physiology which you recommend.and what about Pathology viva book by Lowe.
    Thanks
    Dr Shahid
  23. Guest

Guest Guest

Dr Shahid

dear Dr shahid

its very nice of u and thanks for ur generous reply. i always felt after i passed mrcs that if i can do it in one chance why not others. i also started a course in dhaka for that. obviously i would request other candidates who are appearing next exam to submit their questions and cases. it will hardly take few minutes but will be of immense importance to the examinees. thanx again.
    regarding ur questions. the physiology guide i studied is only available in bangladesh. its a local guide and i bought it during my 1st professional exam. its called Selim Reza physiology guide. its really good book for exam preperation. unfortunately its not even available in dhaka now. but u can try ur any local physiology book eg kaplan physiology guide, Linda physiology guide, whatever the book is better not a heavy text book rather a simple guide covering the informations.
    i havent read david lowe pathology, as i already told u i preferred baily and love, but i heard thats a good book. 1st sort out ur topics and then read from any book. the thing is that in mrcs the questions are not very hard or uncommon, so whatever u read no problem with that as long as u r covering the topic.
    best of luck to u and i hope inshaallah u will do fine.

Dr. Asif
  24. Guest

Guest Guest

Clinical exam: introduction

hello everyone

today i will start with the clinical examination tips.
    there are some basic tips u must know before u appear for the exam and i can say these are the pitfalls of mrcs examination system as well. but our only aim is to pass the exam (i hope so) so i tried to find these pitfalls which we can utilize for our benefits and secure a pass mark.

just to remind u there are 4 bays in clinical examination. i will cover each bay seperately. later i will cover comm skill as well inshallah.

in the exam u will be examined in each bay with a pair of examiners. so there are in total 8 examiners and 8 group of marking.
    now to pass in total u have to get 24. the difference from viva is that in viva u r not allowed to get 2 or below in more than 1 board otherwise u will fail. but in clinical the total mark has to be 24 regardless of how many 2s u got. just u cant afford to get more than one 1 in any bay, then u will automatically fail. and u have to be really exclusive to achieve a 1 in any bay unless u dont appear. so if u can do minimum u r bound to get a 2.

next thing is in any bay the 1st examiner will show u a case where he will give u 7.5 mins and the other examiner will mark ur sheet. these cases we can call as long cases. next the second examiner will take u to minimum 2 or 3 cases and will examine u there and we can call these cases as short cases.

now the problem is with the short cases and u can hardly be sure what cases they are gonna show u. u can prepare for some cases but its always a matter of luck that u r gonna give the common cases. remind u i was given a Poland Syndrome in superfical bay and was asked about the diagnosis ( i made it though alhamdulillah). but the long cases are very easy to pass cause u will know what are these cases. and i am assuring u no matter how tough the examination is 99% chance is that u will get a common case for long case segment. the best part is there are very few long cases. total in 4 bays hardly 2o long cases are thereand i will tell u about all of them. no worry about it.

now the secret to pass clinical. if u can manage to perform a flawless examination and can answer the crossing question properly u will get 4. i did i got 4 in 3 segment and 3 in 5 segment. so the main thing is u have to work hard for the long cases and go through perchment smith for the short cases. if u can manage at least three 4s then all u need is 12 from rest 5 boards. and u can afford to get even three 2s and only two 3s will pass u. just look at the chart

4 + 2
    4+2
    4+2
    3+3 = total 24

if u cant mange to get atleast a single 3 in one short case bay then i am soryy but u really should not pass.

our attempt will be
    4+
    4+
    4+
    4+ that is to achieve 4 in all long cases which is possible tough but possible and to just sustain enough for the short cases.

in next coming posts i will try to cover each bay seperately. and u will see its really not a biggy to achieve pass in clinical.

just to boost ur morale a bit more let me tell u something. i have started training in general surgery in 2006 and i have only 2 years of general surgery training. even in the meantime i worked in cardiac surgery unit as a part time doctor and now as full timer. and i dont feel ashame to say i am really not good in general surgery. my all passion is for cardiac surgery and i amdoing pretty good there also. but if i can mange to pass mrcs p3 in one chance than most of the doctors should. just u have to follow the techniques.

best of luck to every one.

Dr. Asif
  25. surg1

surg1 Guest

Enqiury about experience needed for MRCS 3

Hi ,

I wish to pursue a career in surgery. I am still awaiting for an F1/F2 post in the UK (just finished PLAB). I have decided to sit for the MRCS Part A in January 2010 regardless of whether I have secured a job by then or not. I'm hoping that by having MRCS A I would be in a better position to apply for a F1/F2 post if I have not obtained one by then.
    My concern however is will I be able to obtain enough training to sit for my PART B (OSCE) during my F1/F2/Trust grade posts? Will courses alone be sufficient for the Part B exam?
  26. Guest

Guest Guest

reply to surg1

dear dr
    best of luck on ur attempt. and regarding ur questions though i is not required officially for any training for mrcs partB but the exam is structured in such a way that without a proper training its really difficult to pass the exam. however regarding viva i have already talked a lot and i think if u follow the guidelines it will be of no problem whether it is part 3 or partB. but regarding the clinical there are 4 bays in part3 and in part B i am not sure about but i know so far that it also includes all these. the thing i want to say is that here u have to face other than general surgery, orthopaedics, vascular surgery as well as head neck surgery. and i dont think even if u completed ur training of 2 years that will cover all these bays. i personally dont have any ortho or vascular training or even head neck surgery very little. so basically to pass the exam u have to prepared ur self more in the way of examination rather concentrating mostly in general surgery. this is one of the reason most of the doctors cant make it in one attempt because most of them are well prepared in general surgery but vascular, ortho not so good. i personally emphasise on each bay equally on the basis of exam and i had to visit lots of hospital in my country to see those patients. all u need is a group of colleagues appearing for partA & B and stick together. u can continue a structured way of exaimination in that way. follow my upcoming posts of clinicals and communications and it will obviously help u to get a guideline.
    best of luck
    Dr. Asif
  27. Guest

Guest Guest

orthopaedics clinical exam bay

hi everyone

dear doctors. today i would like to start with clinical examinations bays and i want to start with ortho bay. this bay is thought to be the hardest one and the fail rate is very high here. one of the reason is that most doctors have very few exposures to ortho patients, and second and i feel the most important one is we dont know where we need to emphasise.

1st of all as u remember i talked about long and short cases, i.e. the single case where time is alloted as 7.5 mins and the rest 2 or 3 cases where the last 7.5 mins are used.

now the important long cases are:
    1. hip ex: ostoarthritis (OA), rh. arthritis(RA), fracture neck femure (post op), total hip replacement or hemiarthroplasty
    2. knee ex: OA, RA, Charcot's knee, Unstable knee,
    3. shoulder ex: OA, rotator cuff tear, winging of scapula,
    4. Radial, median, ulnar nerve ex: diagnosis, assess the level of injury
    5. rh. hand ex
    6. neurological ex of upper and lower limb
    7. back ex: ank spondylitis, PLID

these are theimp long cases that commonly asked in exam.

now how to prepare them. all are written in perch smith. u just have to ask someone or can even see from internet the procedure of examination first. but there are some basic tips and imp remarks in clinical examination for mrcs exam that only a recent or old passed dr will be able to show u properly. try to find someone like them and i dont think they will deny to help u. however in ortho exam there are very few d/d so the discussion is mostly among the procedures, ur findings and interpretations. always practice with some one and a watch in hand, try to finish each exam within 6-7 mins with interruption from ur colleagues. try to follow that because u can be 100% sure when u will do this examination in front of ur examiners they will constantly interrupt u and if u can keep ur head cool - u secure a pass.

next the short cases. here the lists are exhaustive and i am not gonna burden u with u that. what u have to do just follow the perch smith cases and hope for best. but if u remeber as i previously told u go for the sure success that is the long cases. prepare urself for that and try to sustain in short cases. the end result will be PASS.

good day to evryone.

Dr. Asif
  28. Guest

Guest Guest

hi everyone

dear doctors. today i would like to start with clinical examinations bays and i want to start with ortho bay. this bay is thought to be the hardest one and the fail rate is very high here. one of the reason is that most doctors have very few exposures to ortho patients, and second and i feel the most important one is we dont know where we need to emphasise.

1st of all as u remember i talked about long and short cases, i.e. the single case where time is alloted as 7.5 mins and the rest 2 or 3 cases where the last 7.5 mins are used.

now the important long cases are:
    1. hip ex: ostoarthritis (OA), rh. arthritis(RA), fracture neck femure (post op), total hip replacement or hemiarthroplasty
    2. knee ex: OA, RA, Charcot's knee, Unstable knee,
    3. shoulder ex: OA, rotator cuff tear, winging of scapula,
    4. Radial, median, ulnar nerve ex: diagnosis, assess the level of injury
    5. rh. hand ex
    6. neurological ex of upper and lower limb
    7. back ex: ank spondylitis, PLID

these are theimp long cases that commonly asked in exam.

now how to prepare them. all are written in perch smith. u just have to ask someone or can even see from internet the procedure of examination first. but there are some basic tips and imp remarks in clinical examination for mrcs exam that only a recent or old passed dr will be able to show u properly. try to find someone like them and i dont think they will deny to help u. however in ortho exam there are very few d/d so the discussion is mostly among the procedures, ur findings and interpretations. always practice with some one and a watch in hand, try to finish each exam within 6-7 mins with interruption from ur colleagues. try to follow that because u can be 100% sure when u will do this examination in front of ur examiners they will constantly interrupt u and if u can keep ur head cool - u secure a pass.

next the short cases. here the lists are exhaustive and i am not gonna burden u with u that. what u have to do just follow the perch smith cases and hope for best. but if u remeber as i previously told u go for the sure success that is the long cases. prepare urself for that and try to sustain in short cases. the end result will be PASS.

good day to evryone.

Dr. Asif
  29. Guest

Guest Guest

ortho exam real scenario

hi doctors

regarding ortho bay. i would like to share some clinical scenario that happened to me and some of my colleagues. i hope it will give u an idea of the examination
    when i enter the ortho bay which was my second examination bay. and i was taken to a patient and asked to examine her hand. it was a rh hand and this case was so evident that i just went through my practice of rh hand examination and it was really easy. when i mentioned about z thumb defortmity and boutonniere or swan neck then examiner asked me what sort of deformity occurs in these three, i answered it, then asked me what else i want to see, when i said about extraarticular features then asked me about all the extrarticular features and specially querried about pulmonary ones, wanted to know about kaplan syndrome, i mentioned about it (alhamdulillah).
    next case was a male pt with longitudinal incision on the knee and asked me to examine the knee here. mind it i have started the sort cases now, but i follow my protocol and started in the usual manner then the examiner interrupted me and asked to show me how to check effusion, i did that with a running commentry, then asked to show the valgus and varus stress instability test, did that which shoed unstable knee, asked me the findings and shift to next case. this was the same gentle man's foot which showed bilateral hallux valgus and asked me to examine i started with inspectory findings and when i mentioned about hammervtoe then asked me what is hammer toe, i answered him and he shift to next one. this was the last case, here i was asked to examine a old ladies leg and asked just to inspect and say my findings, there were obvious shortening, rotational deformity, atrophy then asked me to show the tendelenburgh's test did it. asked me the finding , said it was positive in rt side and the bell rang.
    and i got 4 and 4 that is a full mark in orthobay. does it seem very hard i dont think so.

the other cases were the same cases but only the instruction were different. eg one was asked to examine the hip of the old lady, just see and tell me the dignosis for hallux valgus etc etc. the long caese were either hip or knee or rh hand. so case was common u see.

thats all for now . hope to be with u next time with another bay.

till then tace care

Dr Asif
  30. Guest

Guest Guest

hi dr asif, this is a great post you are starting.

i believe nowadays most people are taking part B. the format is greatly different. do you think you can start a topic providing info on part B? even just answering questions just like you did will be great.
  31. dr. bushra

dr. bushra Guest

guidance for mrcs3

assalam-0-alaikum dr.asif!
    i appeared in part 3 from glasgow.cleared my viva but couldnt pass the clinicals and communications.can you plz tell me the books and CDs.and exam cases.and also some useful tips regarding both.
  32. dr. bushra

dr. bushra Guest

quiry regardin mrcs-3

assalam-0-alaikum dr. Asif,
    I am dr. Maria from pakistan. i have made the attempt from glasgow.couldnt cleared clinicals and communications.for clinicals i am trying to improve my skills but for communicatios is there any book or ready material you can tell me so that i can take some guidance from it?
  33. Guest

Guest Guest

Dear Dr Asif,
    Thanks for your un parallel support to the examinees!
    How we can find the tips for other bays+ communication Skill- only 2 pages are here.
    Have you posted all yet?
    Thanks
    Dr Huque
  34. how to pass mrcs exam

dear dr; tell me how to pass mrcs, i have comleted my masters training in general surgery. i want to be come mrcs. thanks
  35. Very good tips for exams by Dr Asif

Salamz to Dr Asif n all
    Dr Asif has given very nice tips for appearing in exams
    Thanks