mild ankle swelling

Discussion in 'USMLE STEP 2 CS' started by Shel., May 31, 2008.

1. Shel.

Shel. Guest

A 67-year-old man comes to the physician because of a 1-month history of shortness of breath with exertion, easy fatigability, and mild ankle swelling. Five years ago, he underwent successful chemotherapy with doxorubicin for lymphoma. Moist crackles are heard throughout both lungs. An S3 is heard. The liver edge is palpated 4 cm below the right costal margin. There is 2+ pitting edema of the pretibial region, ankles, and feet. Which of the following is the most likely underlying cause of this patient's symptoms?

A) Aortic sclerosis
    B) Cardiotoxicity
    C) Cirrhosis
    D) Mediastinal obstruction
    E) Pneumonitis
  2. sam.

sam. Guest

The response options for the next two items are the same. You will be required to select one answer for each item in the set.

For each patient with vaginal bleeding during pregnancy, select the most likely diagnosis.

A)Abortion of a blighted twin
    B)Cervicitis
    C)Ectopic pregnancy
    D)Focal decidual necrosis
    E) Gestational trophoblastic disease
    F) Incomplete abortion
    G) Ovarian torsion
    H) Ruptured ovarian cyst
    I) Threatened abortion
  3. sam.

sam. Guest

A 23-year-old woman, gravida 2, para 0, has had vaginal spotting and abdominal cramps for 2 days. Her last menstrual period was 8 weeks ago. A home pregnancy test was positive 2 weeks ago. She underwent a salpingectomy4 years ago following an ectopic pregnancy. Examination shows a closed cervix, an enlarged uterus, and no adnexal masses. Transvaginal ultrasonography shows an empty uterus. Serum 3-hCG level is 8000 mIU1mL.

Answer is C
  4. sam.

sam. Guest

A 25-year-old woman has had painless vaginal postcoital bleeding for 2 hours. Her last menstrual period was 10 weeks ago. A pregnancy test is positive. There is a small amount of dark blood in the vaginal canal. She has a reddened, friable cervical os.

The correct Answer is I
  5. a34

a34 Guest

In my opinion the answer for the 25-year-old woman is B. It is a clear description of cervicitis. POst coital bleeding with a friable cervix.