mrcp part 1 ,sept 2006

Discussion in 'MRCP Forum' started by asdfg, Sep 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asdfg

asdfg Guest

Hello all fellows
    here is an exclusive list of questions for all of you
    who are going to take the exam
    I hope it will prove helpful to you
    1.malena..... endoscopy shows small 1cm gastric benign chronic ulcer...treatment
    2.Meningitis...signs of raised ICP
    3.MI....Thrombolysis fails>>> what to do next
    4.Status epilepticus...TRatment
    5.boy with head injury showing lucid interval and now deteriorating....diagnosis
    6.Renal failure...develops uti...which antibiotic will exacerbate hyperkalemia
    7.pt with hypertension .... abondened treatment due to adverse effevt... which anti htn to be given to avoid adverse effects like lethargy,gum hyperplasia...
    8.Copd...rt vent failure with normal left heart...which treatment will improve prognosis
    9.Malignant htn....treatment
    10.primary pneumothorax...50%....treatment
    11.Acyclovir...MOA
    12.Bisphosphonates..MOA
    13.HRT...most compelling convincing indiacation
    14.paracetamol poisonong...MOA of glutathione
    15.Bronchial ca.....SVC obstruction...treatment urgent
    16.TTP...treatmnet
    17.new onset atrial fib......which treatment will decrease risk of stroke in next 48 hrs
    18.BNP...from where is secretd
    19.H/o some vegetative tea ingestion....Goitre with normal Tfts....diagnosis..
    20.Prolactinoma with suprasellar extension+field defects.....
    treatment.....

Post Options: Reply · Add · Forward · Report · New ·

21.which feature is not suggestive of IBS.......wakening due to pain at night
    22.Infective endocarditis in na old man withH/O altered bowel habits.....organism....strep bovis???
    23.Old man with isolate Alk POSPH raised noramal ca po4
    diagnosis......pagets???
    24.Antibiotic causing cholestataic jaundice.....Amoxicillin..flucloxacillin????
    25.Old woman with raised Lymph 16000 on CBC before Hip surgery.....no previus history....what to do....
    26.Dec Hb with DEC MCV+ splenomegaly... diagnosis....
    27.which drug causes increase in HDL...Statin,FIbrates,niacin
    28.PaO 8.4
    Paco2 3.2
    Ph 7.51 diagnosis???
    29.MAN with dvt after 3 days
    INR 2.5
    APTT normal
    Advised to continue heparin reason?????
    30.Investigation for PSC????? ercp???
    31.Sodium valproate...Adverse effect?????
    32.CRANberry juice which drug is affected...carbamazepine....
    33.Malignant melanoma...Breslow thickness .75mm....next management
    34.Relapsing multiple sclerosis....What treatment
    35.parkinsonism + psychotic symptoms.....got worse after haloperidol....diagnosis
    36.Pt in ICU.... got pneumonia...likely organism..MRSA
    37.Pt with freckles around mouth.... bleeding per rectum... cause???..angiodysplasia???
    38.Pulmonary hypertension for 2 months...heart sound abnormality??????
    39.what will cause pulmonary artery DEc pressure..... Endothelin??? prostacyclin...
    40.LVH....Which ECG change is most irrelevant.....
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

thank you ver much for thses valuable questions

I think the answer for the man with 3 days history of dvt and why heparin should be used along with warfarin is that because warfarin causes reduction in the level of protein c which causes a thromlabile enviroment

thank you and hope to have more quetions and hope that all the ather who entered this exam to be generous and provide us with more questions
  3. halit2006

halit2006 Guest

mrcp1 12/9/2006

choestatic jaundice is caused by fluxacillin and amoxicillin/clavulanic acid
    so, i think the answer is fluxa

thanks alot
  4. halit2006.

halit2006. Guest

the most appropriate side effect of valoproate ws in the question is TREMOR

THANKS FOR EVERYONE WHO IS GONNA PARTICIPATE IN 12/09/2006 MRCP1 FORUM
  5. halit2006..

halit2006.. Guest

12/9/06 mrcp1

parkinsonism + psychotic symptoms.....got worse after haloperidol....diagnosis
    dx; lewy body disease

patients here are too sensitive to theside effects of antipsychotics
  6. GrMRCP1

GrMRCP1 Guest

Cholestatic jaundice is a well known side effect of co-amoxiclav as well as amoxicillin alone (check BNF), also of the oxy-penicillins. Flucloxacillin can cause cholestatic jaundice as well. So the problem is which of the two is rarer side effect. Based on clinical evidence, it seems that amoxicillin causes more often than flucloxacillin.
    I put Amoxicillin.

Primary pneumothorax 50%, I chose chest drain
  7. halit2005

halit2005 Guest

primary pnemothorax in hemodynamically stable patient and without shortness of breath the treatment is aspiration, if failed the aspiration if failed then tube

thanks alot
  8. GrMRCP1

GrMRCP1 Guest

I totally agree for primary small pneumothorax. But is 50% a small or large pneumothorax? Furthermore, the question, if I remember well, does not state if the patient had SOB, chest pain or not!
    Are the new British Thorasic Medicine guidelines suggest for large pneumothorax to try chest drain. The oxford handbook of clinical medicine states to try aspiration and if not succesful then chest drain. However if you see their references are back to 1993.
    So the new British thorasic medicine guidelines favors chest drain for large pneumothorax.
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

Dear GrMRCP1

I agree with you in the way you present your evidence. You always refer to your sources. I believe that is the only way to support your opinion in a clear and consise way.
    I would be delighted to see everyone in this forum to state their sources or references in order for the forum to become more "scientific".
    Medicine is not a matter of our personal opinion. We must be able to produce evidence of what we write

Kind Regards,
    papxxx
  10. GrMRCP1

GrMRCP1 Guest

[​IMG]

Hi papxxx, and hello to all MRCP1 participants.
    I downloaded a picture from the British thoracic society guidelines.

Lets discuss more questions

Cheers
  11. asdfg

asdfg Guest

olsalazine..side effect
    1.ulcerative colitis ....drud used for a prolong remission
    2.:pt complainin of itch n sumthing crawling on her body...which acc to her comes out frm umblicus n scalp...partner unaffected..she has collected some scrapins frm scalp....what wud b da findin under normal microscpe....opions were..head louse ,body louse,scabies,fungal hyphe,squamous debris
    3:post MI pt...came for checkup...ventricular aneurism was da findin...drug to b added or replaced.
  12. asdfg

asdfg Guest

1-TURKISH PT SEVERE WT. LOSS HEPATOSPLENOMEGALY FEVER X6MONTH DIAGN: LEISHMANIASIS
    2-SCALY,ATROPHIC LESION OVER FACE:DLE
    3-PREGNANCY LOSSES 3 TIMES:ANTICARDIOLIPIN AB.
    4-RECURRENT URTICARIA WHAT iG;Ig
    5-HEPIPLEGIA MULTIPLE BRAIN FOCAL LESIONS;toxoplasis
    6-gonorrhoeea tt;amoxi
    7;IE with GE;S BOVIS , MITIS?
    8:ERYTHEMA NODOSUM:IMPROVE
    9:INTERFERON TT FOR MS
    10;ACITRETIN TT;PREG TEST

11-COLOR BLINDNESS 56 YR:CONGENITAL
  13. halit2005

halit2005 Guest

12 9 2006 mrcp1

you are right regarding secondary pnemothorax where chest tube is the the treatment bu i think in primary pnemothorax aspiration in case that the volume of pnemothorax is more than 15% or the patient is short of breath the treatment first should be attempting aspiration

thanks alot
  14. halit2005

halit2005 Guest

15. GrMRCP1

GrMRCP1 Guest

Dear halit2005

According to these guidelines exactly in case of large pneumothorax 50% !!! they propose chest tube, changing what was the 1993 consensus, although they state clearly that there is no concensus yet.
    Also the www.emedicine.com has a proposed algorithm based on that as well.
    The tricky is that the question did not mention symptomatic patient or not as well as his age....or risk factors...

Hope that this information is useful

regards
  16. ASPIRATION

My respiratory SpR suggests that 50% pneumothorax defeinitely warrants aspiration
  17. halit2006

halit2006 Guest

mrcp part 1 12 9 2006

another question was about the pathogenesis of factor v leiden i think the answer was thst activated protein c resistance?

another question was about the drug used for long term remisson in ulcerative colitis is it azathioprine or sulfasalazine?
    thank you all
  18. halit2006

halit2006 Guest

MRCP 1 12 9 2006

I THINK THE INTERCATING DRUG WITH CARNBERRY IS WARFARIN

Possible Interaction Between Cranberry Juice and Drug Warfarin
    The British Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) reported five cases that suggest a food-drug interaction between cranberry juice and warfarin that could cause internal hemorrhage.

One of these cases involved a man who suffered a fatal internal hemorrhage. His blood clotting levels increased dramatically six weeks after starting to drink cranberry juice.

In another case, blood clotting levels increased less dramatically but returned to the normal range after cranberry juice was discontinued.

Many women drink cranberry juice to prevent bladder infections.
  19. halit2001..

halit2001.. Guest

9 2006 mrcp1

Possible Interaction Between Cranberry Juice and Drug Warfarin
    The British Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) reported five cases that suggest a food-drug interaction between cranberry juice and warfarin that could cause internal hemorrhage.

One of these cases involved a man who suffered a fatal internal hemorrhage. His blood clotting levels increased dramatically six weeks after starting to drink cranberry juice.

In another case, blood clotting levels increased less dramatically but returned to the normal range after cranberry juice was discontinued.

Many women drink cranberry juice to prevent bladder infections.
  20. rahul79

rahul79 Guest

sept 2007 exam

Exam was tough but counted about 30-40 questions from emrcp.com

Not sure about cranberry juice answer
  21. Guest

Guest Guest

Moderately tough,
  22. rashdi

rashdi Guest

information could support you?

this is very good contribution you done v gud job.
    wanna share many correct points:
    1.malena..... ans: oral omeprazol
    4.Status epilepticus...Rx ans: lorazipam
    5.ans:epidural hematoma
    6. ans gentamycin
    7.ans ca channal blocker
    8. ans long term O2 therapy
    9. ans nitro prusside
    11. ans DNA polymarase
    13. ans osteoporosis
    14. ans glutathione
    15. ans radiotherapy
    17.ans subcutenous heparin
    18. ans left ventrical
    20.ans surgery
    22.ans bovis
    23 ans pegets
    24 ans flucloxacillin
    27 ans niacin
    28 and respiratory alkalosis
    31 ans weigth gain
    32 ans warfrin
    33 ans observation
    34 ans B interferon
    35 ans malignant hyperthermia
    37 ans angiodysplasia
    38 ans S2
    39 ans prostacyclin

others
    1) gonorrhoria tx ans: ciprofloxin
    2) cerative colitis ....drug used for prolong remission ans azathaioprim
    3)pt complainin of itch n sumthing crawling on her body...which acc to her creature comes out frm umblicus n scalp...partner unaffected..she has collected some scrapins frm scalp....what wud b da findin under normal microscpe....ans squamous debris

4)PREGNANCY LOSSES 3 TIMES: ans anti RO AB

Hope this information might be useful
  23. saleemas

saleemas Guest

PLEASE EXPLAIN Q-20,31,37@WHY
  24. saleemas

saleemas Guest

PREG LOSS @ANTI RO WHY,CBLOCK IN NEWBORN OK
  25. saleemas

saleemas Guest

FOR UC MAINTAIN-- first Oral steroids ,then 5-ASA,but crohns---STEROID-then AZOTH--MTHOTREX&FINALLY INFLIXIMAB
  26. halit2006

halit2006 Guest

mrcp1 2006 december

no more contributions to mrcp 1 12 9 2006?
  27. halit2006

halit2006 Guest

mrcp 1 12 sept 2006?

hello freinds; why not more contributions to mrcp 1 12 sept 2006?
  28. Guest

Guest Guest

I HOPE THE MODERATOR OR THE SUPERVISORS CORRECT THE HEADLINE FROM 2007 TO 2006
  29. halit2006

halit2006 Guest

mrcp1 12 09 06

hi friends: thanks for all for your contributions in 12 sept 2006 mrcp1 forum.

anyone expects the results of mrcp1 12 09 06 to dispatced earlier

thanks all
  30. Dr_Osama77

Dr_Osama77 Guest

Hi

I expect the results to be declared on Saturday

I hope earier...

Good luck to all of you
  31. Dr_Osama77

Dr_Osama77 Guest

Hi everybody,,

The results has just been published on the website.. Finally, I got pass. Wish you all the best..
  32. asdfg

asdfg Guest

HURRAY I PASSED!!!!!!

ASDFG
  33. halit2006

halit2006 Guest

mrcp 1 12 09 2006

congratulations for those who passed

no records on the website for me, what to do freinds?

advice?
  34. Dr_Osama77

Dr_Osama77 Guest

Hi Halit2006

I guess you didn't chose to have your results published on the web..

You may need to check this:

If you chose to have your result published on the MRCP(UK) website but you are unable to find your result please be aware that candidates with an incomplete application will neither receive their results by post, nor have access to view their result online until their application is complete. Please contact the relevant Administration Office if you believe that your application may still be incomplete.

Wish you all the best

Dr_Osama77
  35. halit2006

halit2006 Guest

mrcp1 12 09 06

thanks alot dr_osama
    actually i havechecked and hope that they will reply

thanks alot and my congratulations again
  36. Guest

Guest Guest

PLZ IF SOME ONE CAN TELL WHAT WAS THE PASSING MARKS
  37. Dr_Osama77

Dr_Osama77 Guest

You are welcome halit2006 and wish you the best,,,
  38. guest2006

guest2006 Guest

12 09 06 mrcp1

hi friends;

any one knows or expects the pass mark for 12 09 06 mrcp1 exam?

you think that it is similar to the other previous exams or higher?

thanks alot
  39. rub

rub Guest

Dr osama 77,first of all congratulation .and well done
    second plz can you tell us,where did you study from,as this exam was diferent from the previous one's.and what i got the idea is on examination .com is not goining to help....any comment?
    plz am apearing in jan ..so help me :)
  40. new to mrcp

new to mrcp Guest

sept 12 09 06

hi,
    Pass mark for sept 12 exam is 58.4%
  41. Dr_Osama77

Dr_Osama77 Guest

Thanks rub, and I wish you goodluck...

First, I want to thank all members of this great forum who helped me to pass my exam...

I'm not sure about the best way to prepare for the MRCP Part 1 but I will tell you what I did.

I want you first to know that 3 months are more than enough to prepare for your exam. It was my first attempt and I had no any background about the MRCP and my knowledge in medicine was superficial.

I applied to the exam then started to study. I never used a textbook, neither Kumar nor dividson.

I bought Kalra and did it cover to cover. It's very useful book but hard to memorize. Do it many times.

I did ALL emrcp.com, mrcpass.com-the free ones only- and onexamination.com Qs. I did it by subject along with Kalra. When I was studying I concentrated on Qs but in the exam there were many new Qs. I answered them from Kalra. You need to understand the explanations as they don't repeat Qs but if you understand the explanations you will be able to answer similar Qs on the same topics. emrcp.com has perfect explanations for Qs covering the whole topics.

I did all this 3 times before the exam. The high yield topics posted [url http://www.aippg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18244]here[/url] and [url http://www.aippg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28416]here[/url] are really high yield. You will know them when you do the Qs but read them before the exam to make sure you know them all. I had a list with 100 high yield topics posted somewhere in the web.

I have one thing I didn't do for the exam but I did it after the exam and it will be very helpful for you in the exam. It's Goljan audio lectures. You can answer most of the new basic science Qs if you listen to them.

That's all and I wish you the best in your exam.
  42. rub

rub Guest

thanks a lot that ,was very much in detailed thanks again,i hope i will pass the exam,tell me one more thing,what is goljan audio lect..first time iam hearing about it,where i can get it,and how many hrs you use to stydy.
    and i wish you to pass 2nd part :)
  43. hasszan

hasszan Guest

Dear dr osama
    Good day what do you mean by Goljan audio and where we can find it
    Thank you
  44. haliit2006.

haliit2006. Guest

112 09 06 mrcp1

i passed alhamdullilah
  45. Dr_Osama

Dr_Osama Guest

Hi,

Goljan's lecture audios are audio lectures on pathology and are for USMLE Step 1.
    I found them @ http://ahmedhakim.125mb.com thanx for Ahmed Hakim for posting them on his website.

If you have enough time and not taking the exam soon listen to them..

Good luck
  46. Dr_Osama

Dr_Osama Guest

Well done Halit2006...

I'm really happy to hear the good news

I wish you the best in your Part 2.. Keep the hard work
  47. Dr_Osama

Dr_Osama Guest

Sorry rub for the delay, I didn't see your Q

I used to study DAILY from 7:00-11:00pm (4 hrs/day).

I noticed that most of the basic sciense Qs in Part 1 are mostly from IMMUNOLOGY and GENETICS.

Pharmacology is the most important and difficult part of the exam, both to prepare and during the exam. I will advice you to find a better way to study the pharma than to study pharma from Kalra.

My overall score is 72% but I answered many pharmacology Qs incorrectly!
  48. Guest

Guest Guest

hello every one

and avery special hello to dr osama

very nice comtribution you are giving
    i was there in the sep 12th exam and i passed alhamdolelah
    actually it was my first time but i have had a wonderfull input that i would like to share with every one but i m also new in tha world of sharing can any body help

i m still waiting for my results letter

i dont know how much will be my mark???

but very nice haaa 72%
    :lol:
  49. haliit2006.

haliit2006. Guest

thanks alot

Thank you very much dear Dr. Osama, hope you the best too.

Actually, I still did not recieve the formal letter of the result but iam waiting of it, but I have seen the result on mrcpuk.org after I have contacted them that is because mine was not complete when I applied but I THEN COMPLETED IT, so, it just was a technical issue.

Hope to share our experiences regarding part2, when you are planning to appear ot part 2?
    please lets keep in touch to prapre well for the part 2.
    Also, I will be very glad to share my experience with everyone who likes.

Hope to get in touch trough e.mail Dr. Osama

Mine is aboayman2001@hotmail.com

hope to hear from you soon

by the way the website u have adviced (ahmadhakim.com) I can download from it?!

thanks alot dear
  50. haliit2006.

haliit2006. Guest

mrcp1 12 09 06

how r u dr. osama?

hopefully you r ok?

I got my result today of mrcp1 12 09 06 it is ;

my mark 77%

pass mark 58.46%
    hope o hear from you soon

salam
Thread Status: