MRCP PART 2 WRITTEN APRIL 2010

Discussion in 'MRCP Forum' started by mint_girl, Apr 8, 2010.

1. n.m

n.m Guest

I study sharma once but really not all Q, also pastest is very helpful begin with the branch U R deficient in, study E lectures in passtest, fixed exams. passmedicine in the 1st part is very helpful also in the second part, I studied also Davidson text book
    but great deal is on your practice and experienc
    and firstly Aldoaa, ask it from your patients from friends and children
    GOOD LUCK TO ALLLLLL
  2. mrcp CANDT

mrcp CANDT Guest

DRMK KSA

HEARTY CONGRATS TO U

GOOD LUCK FOR PACES TOO

KINDLY SHARE UR EXPERIENCES

REG SHARMA ONEXAMINATION N PASTEST
  3. dr AR

dr AR Guest

Dear Libyan, MK-KSA and others who passed

Many congrats. No doubt we had very lively discussions on Qs that surely will benefit oncoming candidates.Now hoping to keep this thread alive for PACES for which Iam sofar blank.

To Mint_girl

I wish from core of my heart that you appear in July and do appreciate the guest,s offer extended to you.Shall keep in touch with you through this forum.
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

Dear Mintgirl
    I think you are making it too complicated + are perhaps trying too hard.
    You sound very stressed + have put yourself under extreme pressure. It may be wise if you do take a break.

Take a break. Relax. Return fresh + invigorated.

When you start keep your strategy simple.

Sanjay Sharma = thoroughly, highlight areas on the answer pages + use these as revision notes

Pastest = electures + attempt as many questions as possible

We all wish you the very best
  5. drriz79

drriz79 Guest

SUCCESS

DEAR FELLOWS: FIRST OF ALL I WILL STRESS AGAIN NOT TO TAKE PART 2 AS LIGHTER EXAM.. NOT TO BELIEVE THE PERSONS WHO CLAIM SUCCESS IN TWO WEEKS OR SO...PREPARE PROPERLY BEFORE ATTEMPT...I FOUND SHARMA + ONEXAMINATION QUITE HELPFULL....AND VERY IMPORTANT WHICH NO ONE IS MENTIONING ......DATA INTERPRETATION
    FOR ILLUSTRATIONS I DIDNT USE ANY SPECIFIC BOOK....THE EASIEST WAY IS TO SEARCH WITH IMAGES WITH GOOGLE.....YOU WILL FIND THE BEST ILLUSTRATIONS ANY THING U NEED...ECG,XRAYS.CT,ECHO,MRI AND SOME DETAIL AS WELL.......I HOPE BEST FOR ALL OF US
  6. drriz79

drriz79 Guest

SUCCESS

DEAR FELLOWS: FIRST OF ALL I WILL STRESS AGAIN NOT TO TAKE PART 2 AS LIGHTER EXAM.. NOT TO BELIEVE THE PERSONS WHO CLAIM SUCCESS IN TWO WEEKS OR SO...PREPARE PROPERLY BEFORE ATTEMPT...I FOUND SHARMA + ONEXAMINATION QUITE HELPFULL....AND VERY IMPORTANT WHICH NO ONE IS MENTIONING ......DATA INTERPRETATION
    FOR ILLUSTRATIONS I DIDNT USE ANY SPECIFIC BOOK....THE EASIEST WAY IS TO SEARCH WITH IMAGES WITH GOOGLE.....YOU WILL FIND THE BEST ILLUSTRATIONS ANY THING U NEED...ECG,XRAYS.CT,ECHO,MRI AND SOME DETAIL AS WELL.......I HOPE BEST FOR ALL OF US
  7. drriz79

drriz79 Guest

SECRETS

I FEEL THAT DIFFERENCE IN PART ONE AND TWO IS
    HEAVY DATA IS GIVEN IN PART 2 QUESTIONS
    ILLUSTRATIONS ARE GIVEN
    SO MOST OF US GET DECIEVED AS WE ARE NOT MASTER IN DATA INTERPRETATION OR WE DONT FOCUS THIS ISSUE IN ITS REAL SENSE..WHICH IS REQUIRED IN PART 2...OTHERWISE IT IS AS LIKE PART ONE.....SECOND IS THE UNDERSTANDING AND RAPID RESPONSE(TIME SAVING ) FOR DIAGRAMS /ILLUSTRATIONS IF WE ARE FAMILIAR WITH THEM......BY IMPROVING THESE TWO ISSUES WE CAN ASSURE OUR CHANCES OF SUCCESS IN PART 2.....MAY GOD SHOW HIS BLESSING ON ALL OF US
  8. n.m

n.m Guest

dear lybian, MK kSA and all who pass, congratulation can we share knowledges about paces sources and system THANKS
  9. mrcp CANDT

mrcp CANDT Guest

dr rizz79

was this ur first attempt,
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

need for many books

just concentrate on what you read

pple they didnt say any thing when they appear exam n was in doubt also, what to advice

and prep for each differs

and advices some times misguide juinors and change their ongoing tracks

they get confused n start reading new things before the exam

any body who appear for exam they have get an idea after the exam , which books to read i think not after the result

so better read what u were reading, n dont change the tracks in this final overs
  11. Libyan

Libyan Guest

Dear dr-AR, MK-KSA,n.m and others who passed...i hope we help each others in keeping this forum active and help each others regarding the sources of paces and share previous experiences of those who attended paces exam before...upto now i have no idea how to start and what sources i have to do first...
  12. n.m

n.m Guest

13. dr md

dr md Guest

I passed with 653. Congrats to all who passed. It was a difficult exam, so to all who are unsuccessful---- keep trying
  14. dr md

dr md Guest

mrcp 2

I used pastest, on examination and medical masterclass. I think 3-4 months preparation is a must
  15. mint_girl

mint_girl Guest

dr md,

can you kindly advise about medical masterclass.
    Did you use the website with the questions of 95 pounds access for one year, or did you use the 8 module speciality booklets as well?

Tell us more about it please.

Thank you
  16. GUEST 582

GUEST 582 Guest

I would not recommend masterclass for part 2.it is very very extensive although good for ur clinical knowledge but Part 2 tests you on data interpretation and putting clinical scenerio and investigations together to make a dignosis.I must say apart from images and ecg,clinical themes are same as part 1.So Sharma and pastest should be enough to get through the exam.when u dont get an answer right then make notes and i would also recommend to make short notes from sharma so that u revise those in the end.I passed part 1 in jan and sat part 2 in april and passed it and used that strategy described above.I must say clinical experience in UK also matters because alot of things are common practice in UK which might be differenet in other countries so u might have to think differently while solving questions but sharma and pastest questions,e lectures and previous papers covers all of that.best of luck
  17. mint_girl

mint_girl Guest

Dear GUEST 582,

I may have to partially disagree with you because if you noticed the questions in the exam, they are very well detailed and require a lot of knowing how to put itty bitty knowledge together.

Why do you think medical masterclass is extensive?

Plus if what you said was enough then we wouldn't have had THAT many disagreements in the forum after the april exam, that means the answers to the questions we didn't come accross them in pastest and sharma...
  18. n.m

n.m Guest

welcom every one how can I know my % I got 587
  19. Guest

Guest Guest

n.m

you passed alhumdulilah thank allah more than 587 times.
  20. mint_girl

mint_girl Guest

n.m you cannot know your percentage to be honest, because maybe you got 54% and someone else got 54% but he passed and you failed because with the equating system, your 54% might be 345 and his would be 430....

the questions are each marked differently, maybe one point for one question, 3 points for another and 5 points for the most difficult...

This is just examples to explain to you...

a percentage is only calculated if each question had one point which is not the case here.
  21. n.m

n.m Guest

thank you
  22. GUEST 582

GUEST 582 Guest

Dear Mint girl,

U r right that questions are very detailed and needs alot of knowledge.I ddnt say that u dont need knowledge for the exam,indeed if u dont know,u cant answer but the trick is that u need to find that clue which differentiates one diagnosis from another like in lung functions interpretation all the data can be similar for two diseases but KCO would be different and it would be the differentiating point.

Medical masterclass seroes is excellent but a bit too much to retain for an exam like that as this exam covers all the specialities and it is difficult to memorize a lot of theory and those who have passed the exam in this forum hardly recommends it.

well, about the disagreements in the forum answers,i think after the exam u forget what u have answered right and concentrate on those 30-40 question which are ambiguos and u can still pass the exam if u get 30-40 questions wrong.I actually attended Sanjay Sharma course in UK and he used to say the same and he has shown with examples that atleast 30 questions he cant answer as well bcz 2 options would be correct,so only RCP knows.Infact u can answer most of the commom stuff right then chances to pass the exam are more.

Hope that helps
  23. GUEST 582

GUEST 582 Guest

Can we have a forum for discussion for PACES preparation please.
  24. dr md

dr md Guest

dear mint girl, I used the med masterclass website and modules. I got access from my hospital library. I think these two is a good combination as it tells one what thr royal college expects from you. Pastest is a good option as well.
  25. diftitox

diftitox Guest

mrcp part2 written april 2010

[/color
    assalam alykum
    first of all congrats to all who passed..and best of luck for others.. i passed part2 in 1st attempt and also part1 in 1st attempt alhamdulillah... Of course no 2 people r exactly similar..so way of studying and approach and retention capacity all varies...so its not surprising some prefer x or y or z...
    u have to check which one will suit u...there is no rigid timetable or courses ..but it all boils down to hardwork,patience and most impt Allah*s help and mercy...so keep asking for it
  26. diftitox

diftitox Guest

mrcp part2 written april2010

the following is what i did (of course it may not suit everyone )
    1.Try to analyse what each question is trying to ask...Read the discussion part thoroughly esp in onexam as u can frame 10 new questions if u read the discussion carefully
    2.onexam and pastest 3times....i did not read neuro and psychiatry from pastest as it is detailed... i read neuro ,psychiatry and genetics from on exam .
    3...plz read passmedicine atleast once(i read 2 times) I FOUND IT VERY VERY USEFUL and high yield for both part1 and 2....
    4...radiology for mrcp ---i only saw the pictures 2 times (2nd time just before the day of exam)...i think no need to read discussion part in detail for radiology...
    5 ...google search for histology and hematology slides(but dont waste too much time in this)
    6..most impt is *speed round revision*2-3 wks before exam
    7...BREADTH of knowledge (of different topics)is more impt than knowimg in detail about one topic
    8..try to keep yourself free 2-3 wks before exams from routine hospiotal duties etc(ofcurse may not be possible for everyone)
    9..do not waste time on wierd,ambigous and difficult questions...remember these r tough for everybody not only u
    10.. i think 6months of good preparation is adequate
  27. muttasim

muttasim Guest

alhamdullah i passed
  28. diftitox

diftitox Guest

mrcp part2 written april2010

11...REVISION is very very impt...one reading is not enough..FOR average candidates like me atleast 3times onexam and pastest(without neuro,psy)
    12...Speed round revsion 2-4wks before exam is possible only if u have done the groundwork reading before

13..first reading of pastest and oneexam took 3 months at average 4-5hrs per day......2nd reading took 2.5 months and 3rd reading took about 1month or so.

14..passmedicine took very less time as i already read for part1
    15..i did not read sharma and oxford handbook atall(except last 20 pages of sharma for figures and charts etc r very very useful...
    16..i read medical masterclass once..but i had no time to revise...it is good if u have time....
    17...endocrine and respir and neuro covered very nicely in onexam..but need to read thoroughly...dermat ,cardio i think pastest is better..
    18..if u r not well prepared i think better not to apply..take ur time...we have all different timetables and regular hospital duties..MY Colleagues cooperated with me 2 much ...may not be for everybody

19..anybody can fail as this exam is also dependent so much on luck...so even if u fail itz not the end of this world..but u have to have a +ve frame of mind and try again...
    20..Many average and below average candiates like me have passed in 1st attempt....so hardwork is more impt than intelligence
    21...there is no shortcut...but we need to know what is the most appropriate way for me.....otherz r only telling their experiences...
    22..try to make small notes in a handy small book right from the start...it will be very useful in the end
    Pray to Allah to lead us all to way of success
  29. mrcp doctr

mrcp doctr Guest

thanks ditifox

congarts on ur succes

i felt very nice aftre ur post it gave me confidence
  30. mrcp doctr

mrcp doctr Guest

thanks diftitox, sorry by mistake i wrote the user name wrong
  31. mannyl

mannyl Guest

Thank you deftitox.
    Very details, reasonable and sensible advice.
    All the best to you.
  32. diftitox

diftitox Guest

mrcppart2 written april2010

anybody can advise regarding paces...i heard there is video coaching site of 3-4months..i have no idea..plz let us know..thanx
  33. Guest

Guest Guest

thanks diftilox for ur advice
  34. Guest

Guest Guest

pastest video for paces will be helpful initialy before u go for any course
  35. Guest

Guest Guest

can anyone pls tell the total score for april 2010 exam. i know the cut off was 425
  36. mint_girl

mint_girl Guest

hello everyone,

I'm still getting a fuzzy head and a headache when i THINK of how will i start revising again. What should i do? Its really affecting me.
    I can't see a clear mind... everything is just jumbled up inside.
  37. mint_girl

mint_girl Guest

I dont wanna face pastest again at this point, i just cant get myself to.
    should i opt for masterclass website? on examination i dont really like generally or should i give it a second look?
  38. MUST DO

MUST DO Guest

mint_girl, i share your agony.

I failed despite having 55.47% (423 marks).

I know it hurts!

I hate the site of pastest too, but we have to gather our powers and do it once and for all.
  39. mint_girl

mint_girl Guest

Dear MUST DO!

Oh my!! 423 !!! that REALLY REALLY HURTS!!! I'm really sorry for that, I can't imagine how 'angry' you must be that those 2 or 3 points could have been gained from anywhere!

Yes I agree MUST DO! What is your plan? I'm so tempted to try masterclass MCQ's...!
  40. MUST DO

MUST DO Guest

I m gonna go for July. Have no clue about masterclass website, although i am also tempted to try some thing different but may not opt for it due to time constraints.
  41. Guest

Guest Guest

if u can get sanjay sharma mcq revision on line it would be good to revise
  42. RNA

RNA Guest

dear mint gal. Lets chalk out a plan. I m planning 4 nov. Lets discuss our plansg our weak pts. Like combined study . V can share passwords as well. Must do u shud com
  43. RNA

RNA Guest

dear mint gal. Lets chalk out a plan. I m planning 4 nov. Lets discuss our plansg our weak pts. Like combined study . V can share passwords as well. Must do u shud com
  44. mint_girl

mint_girl Guest

does sanjay sharma book author offer ONLINE questions too?!?!?!
  45. dr AR

dr AR Guest

To mint_girl and RNA
    I can understand your emotions at this point in time.sorry RNA you were so near yet so far.

Which website you should opt and which you should not does not matter for RCP, they modulate a Q shown on these web sites in almost 10 different ways.That is the reason you do not often see exactly the same Q as web sites,however themes are same.The trick is to read carefully the stem,data and finally the best ans, all within 2 min.eg INR 8 in Pt with minor bleed on warfarin.Ans is to stop warfarin and restart when it is 5.now strategy is diff with INR 8.5 where I/V vit K is ans. Do carefully read explanation and take notes which you could revise near exam.
  46. dr AR

dr AR Guest

Another example I have already posted in days after the end of exams,a case of pit tumor with visual field defects and supraseller ext and invasion of bil cavernous sinuses>18000 serum prolactin.no where in sites was mentioned transfrontal surgery, mostly mentioned transsphenoidal surgery and no way dopamine agonists. here the answer is trasfrontal surgery. RCP people are very clever and there are so many distractors in one stem and some are very straight forward.
  47. RNA

RNA Guest

thanx AR
    i know there r some basic weak points in me
    i want 2 overcome
    i will restart my efforts
    pray 4 me
    and guide me thanx
  48. RNA

RNA Guest

where is dr K
    WHAT ABOUT HIS RESULT
    HOPE HE PASSED
  49. dr AR

dr AR Guest

To carry my aurguments forward, websites vs RCP

here is another example:

there was a Q reg drug Rx of influenza, among others was mentioned;
    zanamivir & Oseltemavir.now Pastest mentions the latter where as the first choice is former.you can check with OHOM.point is that Text should always be opened when in doubt.
  50. dr AR

dr AR Guest

To RNA

May ALLAH(subhana w tala) give strength and motivation to pass next time.apply for JULY if possible.INSHAALLAH you will pass.