mrcp part 2 written july 08,let us share our experience

Discussion in 'MRCP Forum' started by Abu kamal, Aug 1, 2008.

1. drosama

drosama Guest

Although I can't remember the full details.. but there was also a question about chest symptoms and signs.. the CXR showed unilateral homogenous opicity with STRAIGHT upper border... answer: Hemothorax (I think the absent meniscus sign is the clue here)
  2. drosama

drosama Guest

In general, the questions were reasonable for a PG exam as well as the photos but the imaging was really terrible..

Can you imagine that I answered all the PELVIC X-RAYS as paget's disease coz my colleague who passed the previos exam had one!!! we had 3 pelvic X-rays hehehehe :shock:

When I was preparing for the exam I searched the web for a guide to understand the BONE SCANS... and I failed to find a good site... We had many bone scans than I was expecting :cry:

All the ECGs were straight forward.. except one:
    Pt with pacemaker, everytime he brushed his teeth, he collaped, they checked pacemaker (impedence OK) then he got an event recorder.. they showed the ECG when he collapsed while brushing his teeth: initially, you can see the spikes and QRS then suddenly no spikes no QRS complexes... since no spikes: I went for lead fracture!!
  3. drosama

drosama Guest

I expect the results to be released on Friday 22 Aug at 3pm GMT... It's always 3 days before the announced date... I hope we all pass this exam inshalla..
  4. dramr4

dramr4 Guest

Dear Dr.Osama ,
    Ur answer for the Q of the depressed boy is right . Notice that he had lost wt . TCA lead to increased wt (SSRIs r anorexogenic ). I agree with u that the worst of the exam was the images , which included a lot of CT scans and MRIs . Time was not enough as regards the tricks of most Qs.
  5. bilal 74

bilal 74 Guest

dear all ,the q about young boy with depression, no guide lines say age above 18<take this site and check,(clinpsyc.blogspot.com/2007/09/peer-review-ssris-suicide-and-booze.html),,,,about pancreatitis,,u can not take the patient to theatre directly before supporting (iv fluids<<<) UNLESS YOU WANT TO KILL HIM!!!!so please dont be so confident next time....
  6. bilal 74

bilal 74 Guest

dear all ,the q about young boy with depression, no guide lines say age above 18<take this site and check,(clinpsyc.blogspot.com/2007/09/peer-review-ssris-suicide-and-booze.html),,,,about pancreatitis,,u can not take the patient to theatre directly before supporting (iv fluids<<<) UNLESS YOU WANT TO KILL HIM!!!!so please dont be so confident next time....
  7. bilal 74

bilal 74 Guest

11 December 2003 - written by Bupa's Health Information Team

On 10 December 2003, the UK Committee on the Safety of Medicines (CSM) released new guidance to doctors on the prescribing of antidepressant medicines for children. It advised doctors not to prescribe a certain range of antidepressants (known as SSRIs) for children with depression below the age of 18 years, with the exception of one drug - fluoxetine (brand name Prozac). This advice does not affect the treatment of adults. Below the CSM's advice and its implications are explored.
  8. dr.S.Z

dr.S.Z Guest

HI. everybody, for me the exam was not that difficult, it was easier than part one, It depend on the knowledge of some statistics & facts. For me Shrma is excellent, onexamination has the key for all answers if you read carefully the explanations.
  9. guest6

guest6 Guest

Thank you for your positive comments, dr.S.Z:)
    Good to hear that Part 2 is not as impossible as it seems.
  10. guest1278

guest1278 Guest

Hi Guest,
    I do not agree .
    Part two is a tough and tricky exam .
    Just read the above debate about panceratitis, depression and the
    photos and u will know . I scored 84% in part one but i fail part two twise and probably i am going to fail this time also . I went through on examin , Sharma ,123doc but they keep changing the senarios they were brand new and time is short.
    For the one who said the exam was eay , what was the answer for the pt with recurrent gout after giving colchicine what will u do with regard to allopurinol his creatinine 150 ?
    Dr abeed
  11. saara

saara Guest

I dont agree with you dr S.Z that part 2 is easy exam.it is tougher than part 1 as there are few repetition.part 1 questions are straight forward.in jan part 1 cut off was 65%.do u think this time part 2 cut off will be more than tht just bcas its easier thn part 1.
    As u said sharma is good book and onexamiantion also.here in part2 they assess in depth knowledge
  12. drAA

drAA Guest

the issue is not wether mrcp2 is easy or difficult. many poeple pass it in first attempt while they couldnt pass part 1 even in 3rd attempt. it is the issue of your mind alertness and the speed by which your mind can really keep on answering a lot of lengthy questions in a very short time .They want to judge eg how many patients you can see in 6 hours or 8 hours and at the same time diagnose or manage or investigate appropriately and safely.
    it is indeed v difficult exam .some poeple do pass by just picking randomly the correct answer after eeni meeni mina mo! :lol: but they get caught in the clinical exam.
  13. abu kamal

abu kamal Guest

hi,

salam,
    result is only 5 days away.usually result will be available on their site on friday evening but once they posted result on thusday evening.
    i am requesting every one for last 60 to 70 qs posting.it will help the next exam candidate.
    thanks to all for joining lively discurssion.
    dr abu kamal
  14. guest1

guest1 Guest

MRCP 2 july 08

The MRCP website says that they are now processing the results. That means another day or two before the results are out. Best of luck everybody!!!
  15. dramr4

dramr4 Guest

:roll: Results r still being processed !!!
  16. guest1

guest1 Guest

mrcp 2 july 08

Results still under process!! They wont be declared before friday. Pass percentage ~ 51%-53%???
  17. dramr4

dramr4 Guest

How did u know the passmark ?
  18. omar shariff

omar shariff Guest

Pass marks

I dont think its a % passmark , its overall percentile of people taking exam.
    The last I heard was 60% people pass and the rest 40% fail.
    Its reverse for part 1 , 65% people fail only first 35% percentile pass.
  19. guest1

guest1 Guest

mrcp 2 july 08

You are right, its the percentile rather than the percentage.
  20. dramr4

dramr4 Guest

Thx a lot . Kindly , inform us about any news .
  21. guest1

guest1 Guest

MRCP 2 july 08

Results are out! Pass mark is 54.89
  22. Guest

Guest Guest

results are out, pass mark is 54.89%. Log on to 'My MRCP' for your result.
  23. saara

saara Guest

Results are out.thank god i passed.best of luck for everyone
  24. dramr4

dramr4 Guest

Alhamd lellah , I passed . All the best to all
  25. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanx Allah I passed
    I scored 68%
  26. guest6

guest6 Guest

Congratulations to those who passed!!!!:)

Kindly, give us study tips for part 2 from your successful experience.

Thanks.
  27. dramr4

dramr4 Guest

Congratulations to all who have passed , especially , Dr.Saara and Dr.Mak9 . Hoping Dr. Osama and Dr.AbuKamal have passed . Best luck to all .
  28. drosama

drosama Guest

Al 7amdolilaaaaaaaaah... I passed too... congratulations for all those who passed..
  29. dramr4

dramr4 Guest

Congratulations , Dr.Osama . R u Egyptian ? Kindly , send me an e.mail to drihab4@yahoo.com
    Hoping to share together in preparing 4 PACES .
  30. abu kamal

abu kamal Guest

Thanks to all

salam,
    thanks to allah first.
    i have passed the exam in 1st attempt.
    i got 65% marks.
    i was really anxious about this tough exam.
    thanks dr saara and all others for joining this discurssion.
    dr abu kamal
  31. bilal 74

bilal 74 Guest

:D alhamdullilah<i passed :74.3 !!!!!!!!!!

good luck every body
  32. Indian Guru

Indian Guru Guest

hi

Hi everyone. Congratulation to everyone who pass. I just failed to make it. Got 50.22 % Can people advice about how to go the extra mile or should i say the extra 4.67%
    God bless all
  33. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks God i pass, Hope u also saara, abu kamal and the rest
    i pass through difficult nights , this was my third trial i began to loose
    hope . The discussion was good after the exam . But still the Q is
    was it supportive ttt or ERCP for panceritis !!!!
    thanks to all
    DR abeed
    hope we meet in paces,,,
    cheeeeeeeeeers
  34. L123

L123 Guest

Yay! I passed too. 65%

Sorry to intrude (especially as I'm British so not entitled to be here). But I'm very relieved to have passed (it was my SECOND attempt) so wonderful to find a site/forum where other people are discussing this so I can celebrate with you!! I took 11 years out of medicine until this year so wasn't sure if I could ever pass!

Congrats to everyone else that passed. To anyone that didn't - take some reassurance in that I failed last time and passed this time - am sure you'll do fine in December...

Lorraine
  35. Dr Iraq

Dr Iraq Guest

first of all thanks to god, I passed the exam
    Al hamdu lillah hamdan katheeran
    congradulation every one who passed the exam
    I didn't expect the 69.17
    because honestly I didn' read well having 23 night calls in july before my exam was killing me
    but now I realized that this is not a last hour exam, It is a reflection of your hard work in the ward with your pateints for years of practicing medicine

I passed my part one from the first attempt as well as part two and this is my advice to every one who wants to pass:

*dont leave everyday cases without reading about it at home it is the case in pracice that sticks in mind

*make sure that your decision in a case is the same as the guidelines

here is some books I found great to read in:
    Ebstein's on examination(great book read it every day)
    MKSAP this is the best MCQ ever(American but great)
    Davidson is wonderful but you'll have to read Harrison to complete your knowlege about common diseases
    I read sharma and onexamination.com in last two months an only once
    UpToDate is great for your every day cases and for guidelines

I didn't prepare well but it is my everyday pracice that saved me
    After all this is my very personal experience I hope it's going to be useful to someone
    this is my email dromarmahdi@yahoo.com ready to share experiences and plans to pass PACES
  36. Rajibc

Rajibc Guest

Congrats to Sara, Dr Osama, Mak9, Bilal 74, Dr amr4, Abu Kamal and every one else who passed. I failed by 4%.

It was a nice discussion after the exam. May I request those who got through to provide me tips regarding getting through the exam.

I did Sharma & on examination. Please suggest me your valuable tips.
  37. damiboy

damiboy Guest

mrcp2 results

thanks all.i passed the exam the 2nd attempt and i am so happy.failed the 1st attempt in december 2007 by 0.5% so u can imagine the relief.the way to passing the exam is to practice as many questions as possible and check any confusing answers.all da best.we will all make it.

dare
  38. drosama

drosama Guest

Congrat. dramr4.. No I'm from Sudan and I work in KSA.

I did PasTest twice and OnExamination once over 3 months. I read only the summaries of the guidelines (NICE, SIGN, BTS, BSG ...). Reviewed Sharma in the last 2 weeks. This is my first attempt.

So dramr4, what's ur plan for the PACES? Any recommendations?
  39. Guest

Guest Guest

congratualations !

hi mak9_ mak9,
    thanks for ur Q posting!it will help me alot ,i have to sit on coming dec,biz i passed my part 1 in may.i congratulate on u,since u have got so many high mark!

16- A patient on Furesomide & ramipril developed an infection & became hypotensive (the explanation here is sepsis I guess because he was fulfilling the criteria for severe sepsis). His urine output became minimal & his urea & creatinine became very high (it literally describes prerenal failure). what to do regarding his medications?
    a)Stop both ramipril & fureomide
    b)Stop ramipril but increase the dose of furesomide
    c)Stop ramipril & furesomide but add low dose dopamine
    d) Stop ramipril, increase the dose of furesomide & add low dose dopamine
    e) I can't remember, I think it was a silly choice
    i also think like u between a) and c) low dose dopamine effect is vasodilation,moderate dose increased cardiac contractility,high dose pressor dose.,i don't know what to choose.

with regard to ethylene glycol posioning,ethanol can be used as a tratement ,besides fomepizole,to bind alchol dehydrogenase with higher affinity than ethylene glycol,and so block the production of toxic metabolites .(Harrison hand book16 th edition pg.83)

rapid onset dementia with hallucination-dx - many answer chrales bonnet- i don't know it -where i have to read it ?pls reply me !i only know dementia with visual hallucination is lewy body dementia.
    i willl be looking forward to hearing from u,since u r genius.
  40. saara

saara Guest

Thank you abu kamal rajibc and all others.
    I think sharma,onexamination and pastest is enough.as this time exam had lot of Xrays and CT scans i think you should be good in that.what i feel is there are some short books on Xray .
    some topics which have been repeatedly asked like thyroid disorders,celaic disease shud be read from harrison.
  41. guest1

guest1 Guest

Congrats to all who passed, and for those who could`nt make it, there is always the next time. There can be only two results, and dont despair. Personally, I think Davidson is good enough, with a few repeated topics being read from Harrisons, as Dr Saara has rightly pointed out. ONexamination is good, that would be enough. Keep on doing MCQs as one gets an idea of the pattern of the exam. Its definitely not easy, but is not impossible either. Take acreeverybody, and Bye!!
  42. dramr4

dramr4 Guest

Dear Dr.Osama , I didn`t put a plan yet , for PACES , but the golden rule is : never apply for the exam unless u r WELL - PREPARED . Alhamd lellah , I passed parts 1 & 2 from the 1st attempt . Hoping to do so in PACES . Best luck for all .
  43. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi , i passed Mrcp part 1 in 2008/1 , now passed part 2 in 2008/2 , took 71% , i studied sanjay sharma 3 times , onexam , pastest , alsa medical masterclass ( 2008 update questions ) , ready to give these questions , free , also any tips regarding mrcp part 2 , planning fpr Paces in 2009/1 , best wishes .

Dr . ENWAR . enwark@yahoo.com
  44. help

help Guest

what was the pass mark in april exam

hi all
    just want 2 know , what was the pass mark at mrcp 2 april

thanxxxxxxxxx
  45. Guest

Guest Guest

46. dr mrcp

dr mrcp Guest

thanks GOD I scored 99.98% I knew from the begining that would be my score!!!!!!!! harrison is myfavourite.and nice guidelines in all details is my advice to every keen body. see you all in paces 1/2009.
  47. bilal 74

bilal 74 Guest

sorry everybody I received my details.......... my actual score is 47 not74. pray for me to pass my third attempt.
  48. Guest

Guest Guest

salam bilal , sorry for these bad news but i 'm supprised how did u find urself passed in their website and failed in the details they sent to u !!!
  49. omar shariff

omar shariff Guest

part 2 fail!!

Hi all,
    i scored 52.2 (when passing were 50.27) and 54% when passing marks were 54.4%
    I heard if I apply for december 08 attempt (my 3rd attempt) I will not be eligible for march-april paces , irrespective of result.
    I am planning to take march paces & april PACES in 2009.
    Is it a wise decision? I feel passing paces much easier than guessing game of part 2 a.

I read sanjay sharma 2 times / did passtest and onexamination ( I used to score 70% on those exams) is there any other way to go about in part 2a?

I am frustrated by part 2a.

Which are the books to read for PACES? specially communication and history taking.

Thanks.
  50. dramr4

dramr4 Guest

Dear Dr.Omar , I think that PACES is much more difficult than written exams . According to the new system (2009) , u can apply for PACES before , or WITH part 2 written exam , but I don`t advise u to do so . En Shaa Allah , u`ll pass the written exam next diet . SHARMA + OnExam +/- 123 +/- Pastest + any x ray book , containing CT images +/- Beynon (images) . Best of luck .