MRCP Part 2a Dec 2008 questions

Discussion in 'MRCP Forum' started by Guest, Dec 4, 2008.

1. guest6

guest6 Guest

JAK2 mutation would be right as:

DIAGNOSTIC TESTS FOR PRV

· Bone marrow aspiration (red cell hyperplasia, panmyelosis, clustering/clumping of pleomorphic megakaryocytes, absent iron stores, no pronounced inflammatory reaction)

- Cytogenetic testing (JAK2 V617F)

· Biopsy: Fibrosis during spent phase of the disease (characterized by increased presence of reticulin)
  2. guest6

guest6 Guest

There was one question with a table of cardiac pressures, the thing that stood out was that pressure in both atria was the same. In the answer options constrictive pericarditis made sense.

There was another question with a list of ankle/brachial indices, don't remember any details. Anybody?
  3. guest6

guest6 Guest

Another question:

An iagitated patient with alcohol withdrawal symptoms, what to give?

i/v chlordiazepoxide
    oral diazepam, etc
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

guy with WPW --> surgery as planned, because he didn't have any episodes of SVRT. for diagnosis for WPW, you need that.

Also another patient who had ST depression and T wave inversion on the treadmill test without any symptoms. --> i put discharge. in retrospect, i think coronary angio may be a better answer, as thallium can be -ve in severe TVD

Also a lady with advanced oesophageal Ca who was too poorly and given indicators of end stage renal failure and many other things indicating very poor prognosis. what will you choose? radio? radio + chemo? chemo? surgery? leave the Pt alone? I chose to leave her without any intervention --> i can't remmeber what i put... was there stenting as an option?? no idea what the best answer would be.

and by the way what is the right Abx for a human bite? I could not find any guidelines on that and from what I remember from medical school a human bite is likely to introduce anaerobic organisms --> co-amoxiclav, you need anaerobic cover.

Also a patient with an IBS syndrome who started to lose weight recently and started to get diarrhoea. But recently he also has become anxious because of his exams. would you still diagnose him as IBS or what? I chose caeliac disease but not really convinced, the chap needs investigations before any of the diagnoses given. --> it's not IBS. i think one of the criteria for IBS is that the pt cannot have weight loss. i can't remember what i put though :p

there was that liver picture with multiple lesions. they looked like abscesses to me. what is the NEXT investigation. --> i think i put colono as my answer, to look for a primary mitotic lesion

PRV qn --> i put JAK2, i think i'm wrong :p, i hope i'm right!
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

Am I the only one who thought the right answer was to biopsy one of those liver lesions. :oops:
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

Instead of JAK2 Iput BM why wrong?
  7. OAH SUDAN

OAH SUDAN Guest

-Human bite ... Augmentin
    -Rx of vertigo is betahistine
    -BG is it AB or O?
    -Q of muscle biopsy is it myositis or McArdle?
    -Q of syphilis serology is it syphilis , pinta or yaws?
    -Rx of psoriasis is it methotrexate or etanercept?
    -3 x-rays of shoulder J one is bony island ami right? the 2 r......
    -Is there any Q about Munchausen synd?
    -ECG post MI is VT
    -UTI in prg orgs same like non pregnant women
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

An iagitated patient with alcohol withdrawal symptoms, what to give?

--> diazepam

-Q of muscle biopsy is it myositis or McArdle?

--> myositis

-Q of syphilis serology is it syphilis , pinta or yaws?

--> yaws

-Rx of psoriasis is it methotrexate or etanercept?

--> MTX

-UTI in prg orgs same like non pregnant women

--> strept agalactiae
  9. OAH SUDAN

OAH SUDAN Guest

o hi nerdie thank u for making this appreciable effort
    - I'm sure uti orgs in preg : E.coli,proteus,... as oah sudan said
    - muscle biopsy : Mchardle not myositis
    - rx of delerium tremens : oral diazepam
  10. Guest90000

Guest90000 Guest

Spelling

Can anyone please tell the thread starter how to spell 'summarise'?

Aren't you supposed to be a qualified doctor?

Perhaps you shouldn't bother with the MRCP if your elementary literacy is so poor.
  11. london

london Guest

I can not tell the starter of thread spelling as it maight be, or in my opinion is just an innocent mistake, However, I can tell you that you are very stupid person, and if rcp adopted method of judgement as you persoanaly hold for other they will take not mrcp but litracy exams. Look, this is a forum and no body cares as such about spellings and other bits ans pieces of formal language as we do in official day to day life. Discuss mistakes that are related to medicine and not of literacy you stupid, arrogant guest 900
  12. Guest

Guest Guest

Never mind guest 90000 is preparing for ielts
  13. Guest

Guest Guest

Geust 90000 go away
  14. Guest

Guest Guest

What a joke! Guest 90000 must be lost !. Please show the way out
  15. hopedieslast

hopedieslast Guest

Can any genrous memeber of this forum, who has got some material of mrcp part 2, want to share as I am appearing in april 2009 diet. Moreover guys please tell us your personal experience and recommendation please. It will be highly appriciated.
    many thanks in advance.
    hopedieslas
  16. hopedieslast

hopedieslast Guest

nerdie can you please write how one should go about preparation according to your view point?
  17. hopedieslast

hopedieslast Guest

Guest 6 what would you recommend?
  18. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi hopedieslast,

If you give me your email, I can forward you the links for part 2 material. I was sent these links from a current aippg thread on requesting.

I can tell you my definite opinion after my result. But here is what I preliminarily recommend.

Do as many BOFs as you can. Start with quickly doing passmedicine, do reads the explanatory notes carefuly. Afte rthat I would recommend at least two websites, different people do different combinations. I did onexamination and pastest. Some do these two websites and medical masterclass and 123doc in different combinations. Do them at least 2 times, preferrably more.

Sharma is all time favourite, do this at least three times, preferrably four.

If you have time, make short notes for revision in the end. Read these revision notes at least twice.

Look up the important bonescans and CTs, x-rays and MRIs in google images, Sharma CD (given in the part 2 material links) gives heaps of images as well. For radiology, there are many books around, the 'made easy' series is not bad.

Read a small book on ECG, learn the important ECGs and intervals.

Data interpretation for the MRCP by Steve Hughes is very good. Do this at least 2 times.

Look up skin conditions on the internet.

Whatever you do don't take the preparation lightly. Work hard.

Question are very long and you have 2 minutes for each question. No time to think really.

Do not panic, you can never get all the questions right. So, don't get stuck where you don't know the answer, do your best with that question and move on, there's no time to mope.

Good luck.
  19. Guest6

Guest6 Guest

The above post was by me, Guest6.
  20. John_rambo

John_rambo Guest

thanx guest for your golden notes
  21. John_rambo

John_rambo Guest

hello guys

hope all of you pass,

just want to ask , i want to know which sites uploaded the latest exam questions?? i.e. 2007 - 2008

as a friend told me that pastest is not updated and th latest questions are related to July 2006 .........

so does any one know , where are the latest exam samples been uploaded ? 123doc , or onexamination or master class ??

thanksssssssssssssssss
  22. hopedieslast

hopedieslast Guest

Guest 6 I am really very thankful to you. very much appriciated. I wish and hope you will pass. I will look out out for your final recommendations when you get your result. here is my e-mail.
    hopedieslast at mail dot ru
    thanks again
  23. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi hopedieslast,

If you give me your email, I can forward you the links for part 2 material. I was sent these links from a current aippg thread on requesting.

I can tell you my definite opinion after my result. But here is what I preliminarily recommend.

Do as many BOFs as you can. Start with quickly doing passmedicine, do reads the explanatory notes carefuly. Afte rthat I would recommend at least two websites, different people do different combinations. I did onexamination and pastest. Some do these two websites and medical masterclass and 123doc in different combinations. Do them at least 2 times, preferrably more.

Sharma is all time favourite, do this at least three times, preferrably four.

If you have time, make short notes for revision in the end. Read these revision notes at least twice.

Look up the important bonescans and CTs, x-rays and MRIs in google images, Sharma CD (given in the part 2 material links) gives heaps of images as well. For radiology, there are many books around, the 'made easy' series is not bad.

Read a small book on ECG, learn the important ECGs and intervals.

Data interpretation for the MRCP by Steve Hughes is very good. Do this at least 2 times.

Look up skin conditions on the internet.

Whatever you do don't take the preparation lightly. Work hard.

Question are very long and you have 2 minutes for each question. No time to think really.

Do not panic, you can never get all the questions right. So, don't get stuck where you don't know the answer, do your best with that question and move on, there's no time to mope.

Good luck.

People with NHS jobs cannot do the above. Its good for a wife sitting all day while her husband go to work.

A working doctor NHS
  24. Guest6

Guest6 Guest

Hi working doctor NHS

You are totally right, I agree :lol: :lol: :lol:
  25. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello, as requested...

I spent about 1mth preparing, with the last 2 weeks preparing more intensively...

If time permits, i suggest doing passmedicine.com casually 2-3mths before the exams. Even though it's more geared towards MRCP1, the explanation it provides at the end of each question will be useful. (it's certainly more fun than reading texts).

Sharma Sanjay is a must, i read it 1.5x (couldn't finish!) but the organisation was a bit messy, the questions were not arrangely topically. But i still think it's a crucial book to have.

Forget about Kalra, you must know that Part2a is not focused on the sciences, but more on the clinically application. Most of the questions are on diagnosic and management issues. If you like clinical medicine, then you'll like 2a more than 1.

I didn't care too much with skin conditions, very poor yield in terms of time spent and qns that appear in the exams. Moreover, if a skin condition does come out, it'll be the usual common ones, like psoriasis which you should already know as part of your preparation, and not some weird stuff that appears only in dermatology texts.

ECGs: absolutely must know. The basics, it's not unfair to ask many qns on ECGs, it's part of everyday work! LAD/RAD/RBBB/LBBB/ACS/LVH/RVH/prolonged QT/atrial enlargements/limb lead transposition/AV blocks.... you know what i mean

Lastly, register yourself with onexam or pastest. Personally i used onexam (because my employer paid for onexam, and not pastest, i don't know why) but i'm not too impressed with onexam as they turned off the comments function, and they are very slow with enquiries. My friends who used Pastest were quite pleased with it.

So, 3 things. passmedicine.com/sharma/online MCQs

Good luck!

Oh yes, last but not least, GOOGLE. :p
  26. Guest

Guest Guest

o hi nerdie thank u for making this appreciable effort
    - I'm sure uti orgs in preg : E.coli,proteus,... as oah sudan said
    - muscle biopsy : Mchardle not myositis
    - rx of delerium tremens : oral diazepam

UTI in pregnancy --> i have to agree that e.coli is probably the correct answer, i stand corrected. s.agalactiae are more common in pregnant women and non-preg women, but e.coli is still more common.

My picture for muscle biopsy showed a lot of white blood cells, that's why i put as myositis. Something like that http://www.beverlyhillsneurology.com/myositis-polymyositis-dermatomyositis.html

DT --> diazepam, i agree :)
  27. john_rambo

john_rambo Guest

dear Nerdie

thanx so much for your explanation and comments

i would like to ask you , few questions?

1_what is the duration of your preparation> i mean total ?
    2_what was your average , when you did onexamination>
    3_what do you commnet about the echo,ct,cxr sourses?

4_finally ,, any further commenst you would like to add ?

thanx so much , hope 2 u 2 pass 8)
  28. Guest

Guest Guest

dear Nerdie

thanx so much for your explanation and comments

i would like to ask you , few questions?

1_what is the duration of your preparation> i mean total ?
    2_what was your average , when you did onexamination>
    3_what do you commnet about the echo,ct,cxr sourses?

4_finally ,, any further commenst you would like to add ?

thanx so much , hope 2 u 2 pass

1) i took about 1mth in total...
    2) when i did onexam, my average was about 50-60%, heh...
    3) i think i posted something regarding data interpretation... let me recap

"Included were XRays, photos, bone scan, CTliver/brain , MRI spine/brain, ECGs.

These were not present at all: Flow loop, Hearing test, M-mode, 2DEcho"

You'll definitely need to know how to read spirometry, and cardiac cath saturation data...

i hope i pass too! :)
  29. Guest

Guest Guest

Nerdie - E.coli wasn't one of the options though - out of the options S.agalactiae the best.
  30. hopedieslast

hopedieslast Guest

To nerdi and guest 6,
    Very many thanks for your kind experience sharing. You are star we wish and hope that you will all pass.

so guys again thanks for being so wonderful and helpful
  31. john_rambo

john_rambo Guest

dear nerdie

thanx for ur golden advices ,, and i really appreciate ur help

just want to know , how was ur style in onexamination website ?

i mean , how many u solved the questions ?

and is it real exam orianted or low yield like some other sites ?

thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  32. dowite97

dowite97 Guest

hello guys,
    it has been quite nice discussion so far! I hope and pray that all of us get through this tricky december part 2 diet. We are in the 3rd week post exam now but there is no update on mrcpuk web site regarding the results. Usually the result is out by the end of 3rd week but the christmas vacation might delay it. Any idea when the results may be announced???
    regards
  33. Guest

Guest Guest

Materials for MRCP2

Dear Guest6,

Can you send me the links for MRCP 2, PLEASE?
    I'll be grateful!

My e-mail address is: 2006nemo@gmail.com

NEMO2007
  34. Guest

Guest Guest

John rambo:

Not too sure what you meant by your question?

The qns from the site are similar to the ones that come out in the exams, as in, the style and topics covered...

Do note that there are NO repeat questions (unlike part 1), but questions along similar veins will appear :)

Ok great! S. agalactiae :) GBS... heh.. amoxil as prophylaxis, remember that from my obgyn days as a student..
  35. john_rambo

john_rambo Guest

thanx Nerdie

really , i am so sorry for keep asking , but forgive me ,

i really thank u for ur advices ...

i am wonder , how many times u read onexamination ?

i mean how many times u repeated it ? once twice ++

thank u again 8) :lol: 8)
  36. john_rambo

john_rambo Guest

does any one have any idea about the questions in 123doc ,

are they high exam yield ,,,

and what about the previous years examples , are they updated ??

thank u
  37. Guest

Guest Guest

!

john rambo,

no prob... i did it 1.5x... no time to finish, haha..

nvr used 123doc..
  38. FHI

FHI Guest

HELLO GUYS - R U READY FOR THE RESULTS? IT WILL APPEAR BEFOre 31 DEC. AS WAS CONFIRMED BY THE RCP
    Proteus was one of choices of UTI in preg & it is the second most common org after E.coli
  39. CCguest

CCguest Guest

The results are available on website
  40. kamrul

kamrul Guest

i passed. thnx to almighty.
  41. kamrul

kamrul Guest

my advice toall those who wants to pass, read sanjay sharma, oneexamination. if possible some important british guideline and masterclass books by rcp.
  42. dowite97

dowite97 Guest

Alhamdulillah i have passed! my score is 66.02 while pass score is 56.76. this was my 1st attempt. thanks to material provided by our fellow aippg members too. it was very helpful.
  43. Guest

Guest Guest

Am sure Proteus wasn't one of the options.

To be honest - don't care too much any more - as passed. :D
  44. Guest

Guest Guest

passed part 2

Alhamdulillah i also passed the part 2 in 1st attempt. Exam was very tricky and to be honest onexamination and other web sites very not very helpful. "Oxford handbook of clinical medicine" is one book that, if covered well, might be enough for both part 1 and part 2. I congratulate those who have passed and wish success to all the future candidate.
  45. Guest

Guest Guest

Alhamdulillah,,,,,,,,
    I passed
    yohhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

hope the best for you
  46. Guest6

Guest6 Guest

Just to let you know guys that I passed, too.

Congrats to those who also passed.

For those who didn't, do not lose heart. It's hard to do this again but you will do it, God willing.
  47. john_rambo

john_rambo Guest

congratulation all

dr.hamer ,,, what do u suggest regarding onexamination or others?

dr redstar : any commnet or advice for us .,,,which website ?

any book ??

:) :D :lol:
  48. hopedieslast

hopedieslast Guest

Congratulations every body who passed. your recommendations are really welcome. Best of luck who are still to pass.
  49. Guest

Guest Guest

congrats to all who pass, best wishes to those whose results are awaiting & to those who did not make it this time, i wish them the best luck next time whch i strongly suggest to be soonest possible....
    Hi Nerdie, i hope u passed, i expect that u will make it.....
    Hi John-rambo,,,, from my experience i recommend Masterclass series its puplished from the RCP & contain all what is necessary to pass but its difficult to memorize... so as many as possible of Qs bestof 5 & any of many will be extremely usefu.....

wish all of ya the best luck,,,,,

Bye
  50. Guest

Guest Guest

i passed :)
    Any way to check score on the website?