MRCP SEP 2008 RECALLED QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'MRCP Forum' started by dr arif, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Nemo2008

Nemo2008 Guest

Can anybody tell me how can I see my marks? In MY MRCP page, they show only Grade "Pass", but no marks (pass mark or that I got). Please help me.
  2. dr mustaqeem

dr mustaqeem Guest

go to your exam history and click on the exam date
    thanks
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Did everyone pass?!?!
  4. Nemo2008

Nemo2008 Guest

Thanks to Dr. Mustaqeem

Thank you Dr. Mustaqeem for your prompt response. I got my marks.

Here are my experience and few tips from me for the new candidates:
    This was my first attempt. I studied for around 3 and half months. I was on leave, so got the whole time for study. I did BOFs from Passmedicine and MRCPass. I read Davidson mainly and also few other MCQ books sometimes. I read few from Nicholas Talley and RR Baliga also. I did not read Kalra or Esterbrook (seemed to me too boring/ tough) - the two giants that most candidates read for exam. I did not solve onexamination or pastest BOFs as well.

I believe the most important thing in MRCP exam is COMMON SENSE. I mainly studied the topics from Internet, rather than books. But I tried to read it with brain, not just memorizing the facts. Give the same emphasis on the BOFs as the texts, as the key points are memorized in this way only. I used to do 50-100 BOF per day.

The notes in Passmedicine is best in net. I spent much time in solving the past papers in MRCPass as well. This site is, I think, the best paid site when the amount (only 30 pounds), NOs of BOFs (more than 3400) and contents are taken into account.

Take a good sleep the day before exam. Always try to cool your brain during the exam. Don't expect common questions (only 10-30% are repeated). But the patterns and topics are frequently common (they have some preferred topics).

Finally I want to thank two sites for give me support (at least mentally): r x p g online and aippg.

Thanks to you all.

(I already posted this today in r x p g online, but again posted here for the new candidates)
  5. mokhles

mokhles Guest

sorry guys i have failed
    486 only
    i see pass mark is very low this time and i didnt get it i think i will try more hard next time
    see u
    congratulation for every one who have passed
  6. dr mustaqeem

dr mustaqeem Guest

congrats nemo
    this is my first atempt also but i would like to mention that i like mrcpass.co i did thier past papers and bofs and i think 50-60 percent questions came from it.
    for dr mokhles dont loose hope
    keep on trying you ll get it .
    mrcp is not the only thing in life
    take care.
    dr mustaqeem
  7. natronboy!!!

natronboy!!! Guest

I passed ... 607
    for all friends who didn't pass.. I passed the 4th time attendence !!!
    don't lose hope !!!
  8. muttasim

muttasim Guest

alhamdullah I have passed I got 548 & pass score 521
  9. Shere Kahn

Shere Kahn Guest

Friends

I am not an indian doctor but an irish one but I have found this website a great mental support and thank all of you for contributing, arguing and writing.

Had I failed i would have at least had another set of questions to base my study on

But today I passed, thank god

I don't feel any cause for celebration as such, just more relief that i didn't fail. Like alot of you i always felt i had the potential to pass, it's just the questions didn't go my way or i misinterpreted or misunderstood something on the day

If you failed it is not a reflection of you as a doctor, it's merely how you did against this particular set of questions so don't take it to heart

This is my fourth time doing this exam so i do know how those who failed feel

whats my advice?

1) Persevere, don't give up- you WILL get it just don't let it get on top of you and give up

2) More than books, i found so many questions were listed Verbatim from Onexamination primarily and also passmedicine- for example i remember getting a question on onexamination.com about cat scratch disease-that is something you will either know or you won't and this exact question appeared in the exan! Doing all the questions on the exam websites ensured i had that covered

3) Helan Fellows BOF book is outstanding- read it, understand it and you will know alot!

4) Kalra of course

5) I didn't study Easterbrook- i tried but i got caught up in the detail, honestly i think if you do the websites you will know the answers to the common questions they ask about sciences, peroneal nerve etc

5)Persevere again! It is the most important thing- don't give up- You will get it!if you failed, Take a week off- Rest yourself and start back afresh again-

Just keep going and studying and enjoying medicine- thats what I did and i passed and so can you

Keep going

K
  10. koshan13

koshan13 Guest

HAPPY EID MUBARAK >>> to U all in this FORUM. IST of all I thanks to almighty Allah that......I PASSED . Two good & happy news on the same day(EID DAY)..... Alhamdulillah.

congrad. those who passed and best wishes & luck for those who couldn't. My request to all the particpt. of this FORUM >>>> TO KEEP IN-TOUCH WITH THIS FORUM....all the time.

Thx. to U all, once again

DR. KOSHAN
  11. Dr. Arif

Dr. Arif Guest

ALLHUMDULILAH, I AM PASSED , WISH BEST TO ALL PARTICIPANTS
  12. Kurdish doc

Kurdish doc Guest

Hi Guys...Alhamdulilah I `ve passed....hope the same for all of you,,,Eid Mubarak everyone :D
  13. Guest

Guest Guest

I passed. Score 667.
    I don't know why almost everybody thinks onexamination is good. I spent a lot of time on it since it was expensive and everybody said it was good. But after the exam, I think it is mostly useless. The small useful part came from its redundant part from passmedicine. I think passmedicine is really really good, especially its concise explanation. In addition, onexamination has total 3500 questions, that means you need to spend a lot of time on it, so you won't hav enough time for reading and others. Anyway, my opinion is passmedicine is really good but not onexamination.
    Congratulations for those who passed. The rest please hang on there. Don't give up!
  14. Guest

Guest Guest

to the guest who got 754 ,,,,,,,,,,

just want to ask you , what did you read & what is your position ??

plz if you do not mind ...................
  15. sep 2008

sep 2008 Guest

hi ,any one pass from malaysia???

i passed
  16. Guest

Guest Guest

Dear doctors...
    Sorry for late.....actually yestrday i was too busy....

Thanx god at first and then to u all...Yes...I have passed in my 1st attempt for this exam but a poor scaled score of 653.... :( :( ....

Can anyone tell me what is the importance of this score...

Congrats...Dr.Koshan..Dr.Mustaqueem...Sep 2008...Dr.Vikas...dr.kurdish...natronboy....muttasim...omar alfarsi....nemo 2008...and all who passed....

Dr.Mokhles....I know nothing can be a consolation for this...we all r feeling sad for a beloved member of our family....but u know this is only the beginning...the path is still too long and who knows u may complete mrcp before me....so dnt lose ur heart pls.....

Again thanx all who contributed this forum too much and made it a genuine rich source of MRCP discussion...
  17. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh..ho....I forgot to congratulate one named GUEST who scored 757... :? :eek: :eek: ....congrats man...great job...i hope ur advice will be great for the future mrcp part 1 examinee...pls write something about ur prep...

Anyway...hope all who passed r going to appear at part 2 on april 2009 and now all of us should leave this heading name MRCP 2008 sep recall questions....u r all welcome to join the new heading i posted this morning.....TARGET MRCP PART 2,APRIL 2009....

Hope we will again start a great discussion about our prep...study...share our thoughts and suggestion regarding part 2...requesting all not to forget each other and join the discussion at TARGET MRCP PART 2,APRIL 2009....i need help of u guys as u all r too excellent....let us conquer MRCP all together......BYE
  18. Guest

Guest Guest

Dear doctors...
    Sorry...i forgot to congratulate...Dr.Arif...Shere Kahn...Adelali..ssssssss....Congrates mates....thanx for ur participation in this forum......
  19. sandstorm

sandstorm Guest

Hi m8s... congratulations to all who passed, and for those who didn't hang in there...

I passed OSS: 531, but hey a pass is a pass! Considering the short prep time I had, the difficulty of the exam on the day, and other circumstances I'm more than happy.

Anyways Happy Eid to all...
  20. dr.NM

dr.NM Guest

hi to all and eid mabarak , congrats to all who passed and i wish the best on the next attempt for those who didnt pass........yes pass is a pass , i scored a low score ,does it affect anything...i mean in job progression ...plzzzzzz reply to meeee
  21. sep 2008

sep 2008 Guest

hi all

hope all fine , enjoying the eid.
    after this long journy ,

i really would like to thank all , the doctors
    including the few good doctors among the 12000 readers of this topic,

dr.manoj,mokles, and all the others , which i forgot to mention here.

but after all , i would like to say , hope we the same team member continue our debate together, for the coming mrcp2

thanxxxxxx

my email

metallic_ghostrecon @ yahoo . com

hope to add me, and we can continue
  22. Guest

Guest Guest

dear sandstorm and dr. NM...
    Thanx for sharing ur success moments with us and congrats....probably it doesnt matter about wht u scored...u passed and thats it...but definitely those with a high score....they r genius...and they r in a positive standpoint to pass the 2nd part as their 1st part prep was outstanding....

but we all passed the 1st part...thats it....thannnnnnnx god
  23. Guest

Guest Guest

i am getting deppressed
    this is the 3rd time i failed the exams
    what shall i do?
    i went through onexamination several times, my result was 75% and my result on the exmas was 433...
    any suggestions?
  24. Guest

Guest Guest

i failed..... :cry: anyone have the access to any site till january coz m goin to appear in jan 2009...plz i will be very thankful to u guys
  25. result2008/3

all hamdulillah I passed only with help of ALLAH
  26. Guest

Guest Guest

here is my ID (invincible103@hotmail.co.uk)
    if any one have access to any site till january pls send ur id and password i will be very thankful to all u guys...any way u passed guys i m waiting
    i forgot to write my id in the previous message.
    coz i want to appear in next exam n i want to start study now...many thanx
  27. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi guys,

I have passed too. Congrat to those who have passed too. To those who failed, please don't be disheartened. i am sure you can make it next time.

As this is my first attempt, i was caught in surprise by some of the questions. maybe i can give advice here too.

1. i recommend Pastest as your online revision tool. it really helps me up in the exam. Most topics have been covered and there are ONLINE LECTURES which help to identify those important points. Furthermore it is not that expensive if you subscribe early. i didn't use other website so can't comment on them.

2. make your notes
    it may be time consuming initially but i think it is the best way for us to organize and memorize. don't depend solely on past year questions as majority are new one. You need facts to analyze and solve the questions. Notes also make revision much easier.

3. cover all topics
    i feel the questions are not well distributed. personally i feel there are few questions from certain specialities. it makes spotting questions a danger act. don't neglect basic sciences esp anatomy and science; the questions are straightforward but you need to remember some basic facts such as dermatome and myotome.

4. consider to take a study leave.
    i have applied 5 days leave to prepare for the exam. The final revision is definitely important to recall the mistakes that we have made and to memorize those difficult facts such as HLA etc.

5. Spend times on previous questions
    It seems contrary to what i said above. but i feel the format of the questions are more or less the same. Pay attention to keywords!! sewage worker + impaired liver function test = leptospirosis. etc

hope my advice will help
  28. Guest

Guest Guest

hi guys,
    i really dont know what mistakes am making, this is third tiome am failed
    n the paper was not so tough too,
    tomorrow is eid, n i rcvd the gift like this

please if any body can give suggestions what shud i do,

pple who have passed plz tell how did u read how much time u took n what did u read

pl z this will help us
    may be my answering or question understanding ability is not good or what i cant make out

this time i was dam sure that i will pass, coz
    i did 130 questions correct from dr manoj questions, giving a margin of 55 incorrect

i really don know what to do.every body keeps on asking
    am very disturbed i have developed migrane now
  29. Guest

Guest Guest

salams

eid mubarak

passed with 782

advice-

read kalra cover to cover leasurely over a period of one month

then the next month do questions from onexamination and passmedicine.
    (total q's- 3500)

some common sense

prayers

= pass :lol:
  30. Nemo2006

Nemo2006 Guest

For Guest who failed 3rd time

I felt very sorry for you, that's why I am writing a few words.

I don't know where you are working or where did you study, but you should always keep other doors open. MRCP is not the only door. Try other exams, may be small diploma or so on. At the same time, try for MRCP.

The most important thing in MRCP, I believe, is the residual knowledge and application of common sense. So, try to build up your knowledge, which is a continuous process. Start reading any text book, Kumar & Clark or Davidson, at first, at least few pages per day. And try to solve the BOFs available in the net. Start with Passmedicine. Do at least 30 BOF initially, in the last month increase upto 100 per day.

Make a notebook for your self. Write down the keypoints of any BOF (like- Acne rosacea- use of Minocycline - Bluish pigmentation in venous eczema in the leg. Similarly HLA associations, AD-AR-XR-XD diseases, S/E of certain drugs etc). In the last week only read these note books (I had at least 3).

Select a paid site, all are equal I think, I used mrcpass, as cheap and a lot of questions.

BOFs are the basis of remembering the key points of a disease. I also made print of the Key points/ last minutes revision etc available in aippg and other sites as well as passmedicine for my last revision. These helped me a lot. I spent much time to solve the past papers from mrcpass too. It gave me the idea how the RCP thinks and its preferences.

Try to read with brain, not with heart.

Don't get upset. Believe in Allah (or God- I dont know your religion).

Start from today.
  31. Dr. Arif

Dr. Arif Guest

To all members who have failed please do not loose heart I know Inshalah you will do it may be it was not your day. And Please keep your disscusion going it helps a lot. Personally , I have prayed for you all on this special day of Eid. May Almighty ALLAH pass you all in your next attepmt. and who knows you will get better grip on medicine than us lot who passed in this attempt. Lastly, my best wishes for all you.
  32. IQTG

IQTG Guest

EID MUBARAK To everyone

Thank GOD i passed as well
  33. thank god i passed from first time ,scored 607

good luck for all who didnot pass and inshaallah next time will be pass

can anybody till me if my score is high or just normal.it is just curiosity
  34. Guest

Guest Guest

Dr Tarek can you plz tell me how did u prepare for exam
    wt r the tricks coz i failed as it was my fies attempt...
    i scored 390 but i think i over estimated many questions
    so i am waiting for your reply
  35. i think passmedicine is the magic word do it at least twice

try to learn the remarks underneath questions by heart

kalra is golden book do it twice

after that you go for onexamination Bofs and repeat the wrong ones
  36. Guest

Guest Guest

hi,
    I also passed in first attempt with to littel study of 7 days leave and onexamination upto 1800 Q /passmedicine 800--900 q
    just went through few topics of kalara and esterbrook
    god knows why he passed med now
    i want someone to help to prepare for PEACES [ I HOPE SPELLING IS WRIGHT ]
    I wnt to get it wright this first & final time
    as i am to tired in lifet to give examination [ doing this for dont to know how many years ]
    can someone guide
    thanks to this forum -its just due to this forum i decided to study only onexamination and passmedicine due to lack of time
    i agreed this is examination of commen sense and HOW YOU CHOOSE LOGICAL ANSWER
  37. Guest

Guest Guest

the exam is called PACES
    practical assessment of clinical examination skills
    it is a different type of exam and you must find out more about it
    ask people who have taken the exam
    read up the details on the rcp website
    attend a few courses if you can manage
    the main preparation is examinng many patients and practising history taking and communication
    presentation is very important and for this you must get guidance form seniors
    few books to read
    aces for paces by ajith jayasekera
    paces for mrcp by tim hall
  38. Guest

Guest Guest

My experience

My experience of prepration for Mrcp !.

I know there wouldn’t be any undisclosed fact that I can reveal other than we have discussed earlier in posts. Many members as well as our honourable seniors have shared their rich experience which is priceless. So these coming few lines should be seen as my personal experience rather than instruction.

Lets start from so called mrcp part first bible ( no discrimination intended) Philip kalra , it is must have for this exam and need at least be revised twice if you are confident enough otherwise do it one more time.

I suppose passmedicine.com is sadly enough not recommended as it should be. I can not emphasize enough for its importance, benefit and advantage especially for those who are not practising medicine in UK. It contains NICE guidelines in easy to understand and easy to use in part 1 context as a result you really do not need any thing else like British formulary or bmj which can be very time consuming some time. Hence do it until you master it or you get more than 85% and try and remember their brilliant notes and reference from NICE guidelines. I found it even better than kalra but that is my personal experience.

Onexamination.com is not bad but my recommendation would be pastest.co.uk if you are starting early and have loads of time. It will familiarise you with relative difficulty of exam as almost all question are from past mrcp papers.

Lastly, my friends it is a difficult exam and need lot of preparation as well as luck. Many of my friends in last posts have repeatedly emphasized on the need of prayer as would I. It helps at least in my case it did.

Take care guys, I wish you and your families best of health and happiness and good luck
  39. Guest

Guest Guest

My experience of prepration for Mrcp !.

I know there wouldn’t be any undisclosed fact that I can reveal other than we have discussed earlier in posts. Many members as well as our honourable seniors have shared their rich experience which is priceless. So these coming few lines should be seen as my personal experience rather than instruction.

Lets start from so called mrcp part first bible ( no discrimination intended) Philip kalra , it is must have for this exam and need at least be revised twice if you are confident enough otherwise do it one more time.

I suppose passmedicine.com is sadly enough not recommended as it should be. I can not emphasize enough for its importance, benefit and advantage especially for those who are not practising medicine in UK. It contains NICE guidelines in easy to understand and easy to use in part 1 context as a result you really do not need any thing else like British formulary or bmj which can be very time consuming some time. Hence do it until you master it or you get more than 85% and try and remember their brilliant notes and reference from NICE guidelines. I found it even better than kalra but that is my personal experience.

Onexamination.com is not bad but my recommendation would be pastest.co.uk if you are starting early and have loads of time. It will familiarise you with relative difficulty of exam as almost all question are from past mrcp papers.

Lastly, my friends it is a difficult exam and need lot of preparation as well as luck. Many of my friends in last posts have repeatedly emphasized on the need of prayer as would I. It helps at least in my case it did.

Take care guys, I wish you and your families best of health and happiness and good luck
  40. Guest

Guest Guest

HI!
    I WNAT 2 ASK SENIORS LIKE DR. MANOJ AND guektaiyan who emphasis on making notes for exam prepartion...
    I know making notes give a great help as i hav been doing it during MBBS..but for postgraduteexam the syllabus is so lengthy ,i cdnt decide from where to begin and which topics to includde..It seems to me that if i satrt making my own notes it will tk almost 2-3 months...
    The books OHCM N KLARA are thenselve so thick though one cant rely on a single books that each book takes almost a month 4 just a quick read..
    I SHALL B THANKFUL IF U CN GUIDE ME HOW 2 MK NOTES..EVEN JUTS A FEW TIPS..
    TC ..
  41. Guest

Guest Guest

make short notes on the important aspects of important diseases
    causes
    clinical features
    investigations
    management
    prognosis
    the notes should have enough to remind you of the key points but should not be lengthy
  42. Guest

Guest Guest

DR.manoj can i borrow yr klara for few days ???????mine will come after a month ..i shall return u then..
    Shall b very thankful for yr favour
  43. dr mustaqeem

dr mustaqeem Guest

hello dr manoj
    this is dr mustaqeem
    what do you think about mrcp 2 syllabus and where we can find past mrcp 2 papers.
    thanks

mustaqeem
  44. dr mustaqeem

dr mustaqeem Guest

my tips for success in mrcp 1 are
    read and learn by heart past paper question from mrcpass.com
    read kalra well
    do bofs at one exam.com
    pray
    relax have common sense and confidence.

in my own expeirence aroud 50-60 percent questions from mrcpass.com so missing these if deadly mistake
    dont get overawed by the paper read question carefully.
    mustaqeem........score 687
  45. Guest

Guest Guest

Dear Dr Rifat...
    Thanx for ur msg.
    I am not too talent to give advice...just i can tell u wht i did.
    At first i want to mention that i read davidson very well when i did fcps part 1 in medicine....and during my internship i read Kumar and Klark very well though these books r not at all necessary for mrcp....but these gave me base of medicine....

As i recalled...u passed fcps part 1,so i hope u read a big book that time....anyway for mrcp i didnt read any big book....

I read kalra at first 2 time from cover to cover...then i used two question resource like onexam and passmedicine....while i solved this sites....i made small notes on kalra and if necessary i attached small note papers wth kalra.....but dear u cant understand that and the fact is...u have to make it by ur own hand which is effective.....kalra contains about 80 percent information that u need....mrcpass is also a good site though i didnt have enough time to solve it....to say frankly....i didnt go through OHCM which is certainly very effective....

The thing is,Read kalra...start onexam,passmedicine and mrcpass...while solving those attach note to kalra....in total it will take 3 month...then u will again read ur enriched kalra as much time as possible before exam....sit for it...i think u should get 80 parcent if u just now apply commonsense wth ur knowledge.....

Best of luck.
  46. Guest

Guest Guest

Dear Dr. Mustaquee....why discussion about part 2 here....we,the old friends...have opened a new thread...TARGET MRCP PART2.APRIL 2009.....come here...all r ready to answer ur questions....well...part 2 doesnt has any special syllebus different from part 1....same syllebus but the questions will be data interpretation and photographic format....a more complicated than part 1....thats why u have to concentrate on data related to clinical cases (Sanjoy Sharma is ideal) and photography to diagnose dis(Charles d forbes is ideal)...some other ques books like HLC Beynon....online registration of onexam and past test and still u have time....Masterclass(Not so necessary...but excellent book for knowledge)

Hope to see u in our new mrcp family in TARGET MRCP
  47. Guest

Guest Guest

Thankyou DR Manoj 4 yr valueable advice...I will certainly do that..and best of luck for MRCP-2
  48. Guest

Guest Guest

Reply to Dr Rifat

Hi Dr Rifat,

regarding your query on making note, i used another method which can be your reference.

To be honest i never finish studying Kalra even once. i think it is too boring to study it. However it is definitely an important book. I read the topics which i want to know. but solely depends on it is not enough cos there are quite a lot of topics not given enough details such as antiphospholipid syndrome, HUS, TTP etc. Furthermore, it doesn't teach you how to approach a clinical scenario to reach diagnosis. therefore you need to do a lot of BOF as you could and make notes of it.

Here is my strategy:
    - i did my notes while doing questions. I printed out the questions that i have answered and then i made note of the explanation. if i think the explanation is not enough, i will look for other source such as Kalra and others. Mindmapping is a good way of making notes. it is worthwhile to buy the book - "TONY BUZAN - how to mind map"

- basically MRCP is a KEYWORD GAME!! so write down the important points which indicate the condition or diagnosis. E.g. Sewage worker + impaired liver function test = leptospirosis, dry mouth + anti-Ro antibodies = sjogren's syndrome. I suggest you to subscribe to Pastest, you will know what i mean when you browse the eLECTURE on hepatology. Note down these important clues and it will make the exam much easier.

Hope my advice may help you.
    -
  49. dr mustaqeem

dr mustaqeem Guest

iam unable to post responses despite being registered.it keeps on saying about spam words

mustaqeem

From Moderator team: Can you please login and send a private message or alternatively mail aippg@aippg.com.

Once you login in you should be able to post.
  50. Guest

Guest Guest

i would suggest notes being disease oriented rather than question oriented
    if you spend some time on it this will be major advantage for part 2 and paces as you will have quick reference notes