MRCS 3 Viva

Discussion in 'MRCS Forum' started by Invincible JS, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Hi Guys,

I have just passed my viva yesterday...preparing for clinicals....i found most difficulty in physio....most of the people who failed failed in physio....i can give some valuable tips for those who are appearing viva next...and others can share there views....people can share there tips and tricks for clinicals as well...
  2. Hi,

No body has replied...so i m starting...and others can add....the common questions that were asked are Oedema,ICP,DVT,Hyper parathyroidism,functions of liver,Jaundice,Shock ....so on.

I was asked one funny or may be a good one....if a person has got UTI...and he is allergic to every possible abx...what can u give to t/t him....any idea?????????

Will come back with few more questions
  3. New questions

Hi,
    These are few more questions that have been asked previously
    Bone physiology
    Cancer staging,screening,tumor markers(very common q)
    physiology of head injury, translocation of bacteria in critically ill
    lipids in blood
    jaundice
    secondary messengers
    pathophysiology of pneumothorax
    NMjunction and long acting NM blockers
    atherosclerosis
    how to measure hematocrit in rual africa!!!!
    draw a pic of how sympathetic chain joins spinal cord
    nottingham prognostic indicators
    APUDomas and neuroendocrine tumors

I have lot more and will post it next time.Good luck
  4. New questions

Hi,

here are some more questions
    Genetics of ABO blood group
    Contents of pancreatic secretion
    Contents of biliary secretion
    Difference in lower UTI and upper UTI clinically
    Reiters syndrome-organism
    Blood supply of spinal cord
    Types of thoracotomy
    CVP in different types of shock
    functions of adrenal medulla
    colonic blood supply
    relations of taenia to haustral pattern
    Embryology and ossification of mandible
    action potential
    Why dont i as a pathologist like the term polyp-expand your answer
    Calcium homeostasis-very commonly asked
    Complications of Thyroid and Parathyroid surgery

Ok guys...hope that helps...will post some more next time
  5. abi

abi Guest

mrcs 3

To Invincible,
    Thanks a lot for your inputs . I will be appearing for mrcs 3 next. There is so less info and discussion on MRcs3 for which I am worried about the exam. However your contribution in this aspect is praiseworthy and i hope you will share more and help others.
    Good things never go in vain, you will be rewarded in life.
    Best wishes
    --- abi
  6. Thanx for reply Abi,

I will post few more next time....If u need any help,dont hesitate to ask....goodluck
  7. ysp

ysp Guest

hi

thanks invincible i m preparing fog my mrcs 3 hope these q will help me
  8. Hi ysp,

When u r preparing make sure that u give little more stress to physiology...and specially prepare for oedema,cardiac output,shock,liver functions(bilirubin synthesis,jaundice,entero hepatic circulation etc),Intracranial pressure regulation,fluid divisions in body,renin angiotensin,nephron and its functions at diffrent level,action potential.U have to ptrepare everything else as well but atleast the above ones.Good luck
  9. abi

abi Guest

mrcs 3 suggestions?

Hi Invincible JS,

Hope you are fine. I am Abi asking for your kind advice on how to prepare for MRCS 3.
    1. Please tell me which books are to be read for Applied anatomy, Applied physiology, applied pathology for Mrcs viva.
    2. Also which book to follow for Operative Surgery and what do they ask in this section?
    3. which books to follow for Critical care and what sort of questions are covered in this segment
    4.What to read in Principles of surgery. How far in depth do the examiners go on asking?
    5. Is there X-rays , CTscans ,Osteology or Soft tissue specimens kept in the exam.?If so , what is generally asked?
    6. what is the pass rate, any idea.
    7. Lastly, any viva books that you have found useful , if yes from where to find it.
    Thats it, Please dont mind for troubling you with these questions.
    With best wishes-- and best of luck
    -------------------- Abi
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

hi

Hi abi,

For anatomy i read last...but i think its bit extensive and difficult to digest...my friends were very much impressed with snell...u can try that...in anatomy viva this what they asked me...so u can get an idea out of it...first thing was he showed me a double contrast enema study and asked me ab it...like what is it..identify different structers...than showed me the haustrations and asked why do u get haustra...thats because taenia coli is short compared to lower GI...than ased blood supply of colon...branches..which artery...showed me cadaveric trunk...asked me to psoas,ureter,relations of hilar strutures in kidney...than neck dissections...thyroid...parathyroid....cross section of brain...it was a plastic model rather than cadaver...questions were pretty straight forward...and few more i cant remember...
    operative surgery was again good...i read moqbels operative surgery...its a fantastic little book...and i bet u dont need to read any more than that....they asked me about shoulder dislocation...just theory not the operative bits....pneumothorax...ramstedts pyloromyotomy....i have spoken to many of my friends..and i found all the answers were in moqbels operative surgery..so just go through it...
    for physiology i read kaplans physiology....i m not sure whats best...but i found it good....i had also read dattas course manual....i think physiology and critical care bit u really need to do well....read it well...most of my friends who failed ...failed in physiology...
    questions are very superficial but they cover it extensively...i would suggest read mrcs pastest viva practice and david lowes general patholgy viva....all the above should see u through the viva with a bit of luck....keep ur answers simple...dont miss a simple question...if u miss one the next one will be bouncer and they will make sure that ur boat sinks...so never ever miss a simple question...know the basic stuff...good luck
  11. abi

abi Guest

mrcs 3 books

Hi InvincibleJS
    Thanks a lot for the detailed reply.

Where can i find david lowes general patholgy viva,moqbels operative surgery,dattas course manual and mrcs pastest viva practice .
    If you are in a position to sell those then i can look for buying . But obviously if you dont need those anymore. So, please let me know .

Best of luck for the remaining part of your mrcs 3.
    With best wishes
    --------------------- abi
  12. Guest

Guest Guest

hi

Hi abi,

I dont have all of those..i got them from library...but if u r in UK,u can get it from amazon.co.uk....if u r in India than i dont know...sorry....but above books r extremely useful...goodluck
  13. abi

abi Guest

Hi Invinsible

Thats fine, I will try to find it out . I am from India , actually returned from Uk to complete my PG here after clearing PLab2. Where are you working and hows is the hospital?
    I intend to return after my PG is over?
    Thats it, Bye
  14. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi

Hi ,

i attended few clinics in ENT and vascular surgery...i find it very useful...its very important that u present cases to ur consultant before ur exam...i had never seen a abdominal aortic aneurysm...just seen 2 recently....i was of the impression that u always feel for it in epigastric region...but these two i found close to the umbilicus to the left side...it measured 5.5cm....its very easy to miss....and its very important to do examination of abdomen systemically and not just jump for the AAA....this patient had inguinal hernia as well as polycystic kidney apart from a AAA....enough to fal u if u just say AAA....anyway...tahts it...i will share if i find any other tricky case...goodluck
  15. abi

abi Guest

Hi Invincible,
    That was a good observation on your part -- about AAA. Infact , there was a bunch of qs. about AAA in my MRCS part 2.
    i will try to include my experiences as well . Regards ---- abi
  16. Guest

Guest Guest

thanks !

What a fantastic post Invincible. Thanks for sharing and tryin' to help. It was much appreciated.
  17. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for appreciation....i m giving my clinicals in december...will come back with all my experience...
  18. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi everybody,

I am appearing for my clinicals in 2 weeks time....out of 8 people i knew 4 failed and 4 passed...one of my friend told me that out of 32 who appeared in aberdeen 29 failed and all of them failed in orthopaedics....and 4 of my friends who failed also failed in ortho....cant believe this and to add to it 3 of them were MS Ortho!!!!.....one failed because he couldnt answer indications for ilizarov .....they wanted the answer that its used for unstable fracture of tibia whether closed or open....other one failed because he didnt do well in a hip examination...i mean its easy to fail if u are overconfident...u need to prepare everything well een if u r MS Ortho or MS Gen SUrg...doesnt matter...anyway...lets see what happens....i will tell my experience in 2 weeks time...
  19. peekay

peekay Guest

hi

thanks invisible Js,,, could you advise on the cousesavailable to attend before MRCS viva
  20. Guest

Guest Guest

hi

to be honest peekay,there is no definitely good course...it all depends on ur level of preparation....personally i felt dutta course is a good one...short and sweet and informative...but u must be prepared well before u do this course....otherwise whippscross and leeds course are good...they spoon feed u...but its for nearly 10 days each and expensive...all these courses are in UK offcourse....i am sry if u are asking for courses in India...i have no clue...hope this helps...goodluck
  21. peekay

peekay Guest

thanks invisible,

i am not able to get hold of the contact number for dutta course.. could you help please
  22. Guest

Guest Guest

Johanne Pomfret
    Course - Co-ordinator

NHS Education for Scotland (NES)
    The Lister
    11 Hill Square
    Edinburgh
    Phone 0131 651 4006
    Fax 0131 651 4017
  23. Guest

Guest Guest

hi guys,

i passed mrcs clinicals...it went well for me...the cases i got in vascular bay was ischemic leg,venous ulcer and av fistula....in orthopaedic bay i got a post op femur nailing,bilateral colles malunion,hallux valgus,rheumatoid hand,total elbow replacement,recent patellar fracture...i got 4 out of 4 in this bay...in trunk i got incisional hernia,colostomy,ileostomy and distended abdomen....in ent i got submandibular calculus,lipoma,ca breast...again i got 4 out of 4 in this...i really did bad in trrunk bay...anyway goodluck everybody...
  24. abi

abi Guest

Hi Invincible
    How are you, Wishing u Happy New YEar 2006
    --------------abi
  25. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanx abi..happy new year to u and all other members as well..how r u...howzz ur preparation...if u need any help dont hesitate...take care
  26. abi

abi Guest

Hi Invinsible ,
    I am delighted to hear that U have passed the clinicals. I never had an idea that its tough to pass.
    Is it that viva part is easier than clinicals? Also is it possible to give Viva and clinicals after months gap --- within how many days?
    What are the books did you study for Ortho , surgical clinical methods etc for the bays and any other books for this Clinical section. Is there any viva crossing in the bays or just clinical examination/tasks.
    How was the communiation section and what was asked-- Is it like the PLAB type scenarios -- Breaking bad news/ preop counselling/ telephone conversation etc...? And any particular book for it as well.
    Does Duttas course cover all the sections of MRCS 3 or is it only for viva or clinicals.
    Please suggest me , whether such a course a must before appearing part 3 (all sections.)
    These are a lot of qs , but I hope U wont mind.
    Once again congratulations ; enjoy the success.
    Regards,
    ---------------------------------abhi
  27. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi

Hi abhi,

nice to hear from u....for clinicals best and only thing you need to do is parchment smith short cases..go through it well ....other important thing is u need to see and present cases...thats the most important thing u need to do....they do ask viva questions in clinicals but it will be easy questions rather than in depth...parchment smith covers all viva questions anyway....i am an orthopaedic surgeon so i really didnt read any orthopaedics but i did present as many cases as possible before i went for the exam....

for viva...operative surgery ...i read moqbel...i think thats enough...as i said before u really need to concentrate on physiology and antomy...it really helps....kannani is good for physio but i didnt read that...i read kaplans physio...but i wont recommend it for u....u must read david lowe general pathology....i didnt read raftary but i think its good for viva

by the way...how far down the mrcs u have cleared..i never asked u

if above helps than i m glad...but if u need any more queries answering do write to me...take care
  28. abi

abi Guest

Hi Invincible
    Thanks once again for your kind advice and suggestions. Well I have cleared upto part 2 last Sept. and am deciding on the right time to appear for part 3 . Actually, I need to decide on the correct mats before appearing these exam. And for that, U have really helped me a lot.
    I need your opinion on -- Does Duttas course cover all the sections of MRCS 3 or is it only for viva or clinicals. Also Please suggest me , whether such a course is a must before appearing for part 3 (all sections.)
    Thats it,
    With regards
    --------------------------------------------------abhi
  29. Guest

Guest Guest

hi abhi,

i think its important to do a course to get an idea about what u r supposed to do in the exam...it gives an added confidence....dutta course covers both viva and clinical...its a mixed kind of course.....all the teaching is theory only...they dont show any live patients..they show cases through slides...as i said before ..u must go through the materials they give u before u attend the course....this course should be the final thing in your preparation rather than the beginning....i thing this helps...goodluck
  30. Guest

Guest Guest

question for u?

hey guys....this is a question for u.....how do u decide clinically when to take out a chest tube??
  31. Guest

Guest Guest

the ans. is ....u see the tube...once the air bubbles stop coming...and x ray correlates with it.....u take out the tube....this applies for a pneumothorax....this was a question asked to me in viva...hope this helps atleast one viewer....
  32. Hi .. Invincible
    what is the full title for "moqbels operative surgery" ??
    I can't find it even in amazon ... thx.!!
  33. Guest

Guest Guest

34. doc-mom

doc-mom Guest

help??

hi.could u pls tell me what the requirements are for MRCS3? I have done type 1 and wil be doing type2 soon, but am a bit vague about what the requirements are for 3? if there is a website, then pls let me know.. but since u have just passed it (congrats !!) could u tell me what the requirements are?Tx a bunch!! :lol:
  35. Guest

Guest Guest

If u have done Intercollegiate MRCS ..the only requirement is passing part1 & 2 mrcs for part 3....u dont need to have completed BST for part 3 now a days...hope that answers ur query....goodluck
  36. kansundar

kansundar Guest

MRCS Part 3

Hi! I am preparing to appear for part 3 in November 2006 in India. Is logbook and BSS course necessary for part 3? Do they ask you about it in the exam? And what about this crash course by one Dr. Sen in Bombay? There is supposed to be one sometime in September. How does one get into it? Would you know anything about it?
  37. abi

abi Guest

Hi Kansundar
    Could U please infrom me more about Dr Sen'scourse. Is it for MRCS part 3 and royal college approved or his personal course. And kindly give me his contact no so that I can contact.
    Thanks and best wishes for Ur exam.
    ABI
  38. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,

u dont need log book and bss for part 3...u will need those if u r planning to get ccbst to work at registrar level in UK...hope it helps...goodluck
  39. kansundar

kansundar Guest

Hi Abi, Dr. Sen's course is specially for candidates who are planning to take MRCS part III in Oct/Nov 2006. It is a 5 day course in 1st week of September in Bombay. You send email to hcicourse@yahoo.co.in and he will send you the application form which you can fill in and mail. Fee is INR 15000/- to be sent by DD
  40. abi

abi Guest

Hi,
    Is there any MRCS 3 exam in NOV or Oct in INdia. I think all the exam will be over by Sept . So can this Sen's course help.
    Please let me know any dates of MRCS exam to be held after this course.
    Bye abi
  41. kansundar

kansundar Guest

Hi Abi, There is MRCS Part III exam (RCS Ed) in Mumbai and Chennai on Nov 20-25. One in Oct in Hongkong. See the RCS Ed examinations calender for details. These overseas exam centers will have limited no of applications and will get filled up very fast. u hv to apply fast if u r interested. There is one in Oct in Edinburgh also. Good luck.
  42. abi

abi Guest

Hi,
    Thanks a lot for the info. I was for in search of RCS ed exam since long but thre was no dates.
    By the way , when are U thinking of appearing and from which center. I will apply for Mumbai centre.also there is Dattas course for MRCS at delhi and Hyderabad. How will be those.
    I would like to discuss with you the relevant books and materials for this exam. So please provide your email for me or contact me in this email address dr_ abhinandan1@rediffmail.com
    Regards
    Thanking you. ---- Abi
  43. kansundar

kansundar Guest

Hi Abi,
    I am planning to appear in Mumbai in November. I have already sent in my application. As I had mentioned, the no. of candidates is limited and soon they will stop recieving new applications. So u have to really send it right away. I am appearing for the first time and I am also anxious to get as much information about the exam as possible. I have a collegue who has gone for the viva thrice before and he is also appearing with me in Mumbai. He gives lots of information about the method of exam, how we will be questioned, what topics to concenterate on and so on, which I will be glad to share with you. My email is kan_sundar@yahoo.co.in. Bye and all the best.
  44. tikka

tikka Guest

MRCS 3

Hello ,
    I am planning on doing the MRCs 3 in may.
    I have very limited experience in general surgery but would like to get the exams out of the way.
    I need advice on how to begin....everything.
  45. Guest

Guest Guest

please advice

Hello,
    I noted that you had just completed your MRCs viva...can you please let me know how you went about in preparing for it. I have applied for the VIVa in May...so I urgently need advice.
    Thanks
  46. sujaya03

sujaya03 Guest

mrcs 3 in singapore

Planning to appear for mrcs 3 in singapore but the fees is not clearly mentioned. Says Singapore dollors 1800 and pounds 735. Do we have to send both the amounts which is qoite a lot or only any of them? Does anyone have any idea?
    Suja
  47. bonesetter

bonesetter Guest

clinical cases please

hi thanks for ur post
    kindly post clinical cases for mrcs 3
    cheers
  48. drvikas

drvikas Guest

MRCS 3

HI SUJOY
    dont go for the singapore one. its a combined exam for MRCS and M.Med (singapore). its quite costly and i am not very sure whether we are eligible for that. its only for those who are eligible to appear for M.Med also.
  49. Dr.Aiwan

Dr.Aiwan Guest

Fate of MRCS in Pakistan

Hi Buddy

I would like to ask about tha fate of MRCS,when u have done it complete.whether its a degree r diploma.What is its value when some will compare it with FRCS / FCPS.
    THANKS
  50. anwar

anwar Guest