MRCS PART 3 : THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT IN FIRST GO

Discussion in 'MRCS Forum' started by Nazish G, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Nazish G

Nazish G Guest

DEAR ALL,

A LONG AWAITED ADVICE FOR ALL THE VIVA TAKERS:
    BEFORE YOU GO ON TO READ IT......A NUMBER OF THREADS WILL FOLLOW THESE QUESTIONS AND HINTS......YOU MAY NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT I MEAN BY BEST MODULES.....I WILL BE PASTING THESE MODULES HERE NOW AND THEN ....THESE ARE NOW THE TUTORIALS OF BOTH RCSI AND RCSED.....AND ARE VERY HELPFUL.....SO DO NOT WORRY IF YOU DONT HAVE THEM ...I WILL POST THEM HERE SOON.....

ALSO KEEP IN MIND THAT BRS : BOARD REVIEW SERIES IS A THING OF THE PAST NOW.......NOW THE BOOK TO FOLLOW FOR THE VIVA IS THE MASTER MEDICINE SERIES OF ALL SUBJECTS: ANATOMY,PHYSIOLOGY AND PATHOLOGY AND SYSTEMIC PATHOLOGY......
    THIS BOOK IS VERY IMPORTANT...ITS VALUE....SIMPLY KNOW THIS THAT SOME ANATOMY PROFESSOR OF RCSI HAS WRITTEN THE ANTAOMY BOOK AND TWO XRAYS FROM THIS BOOK....THE EXACT REPLICA.....(ONE WITH TENSION PNEMOTHORAX AND PNEUMOPERICARDIUM AND THE OTHER WITH BARIUM ENEMA.....EXACT REPLICA CAME IN MY TWO VIVAS ONE AT RCSI AND THE OTHER AT RCSED....SO PAY HEED TO THIS BOOK...VERY SIMPLE YET DIFFICULT TO READ......COMPLIMENT ANATOMY WITH HARROLD ELLIS.....THE BOOK TO READ.....YOU WILL UNDERSTAND IT ALL ONCE YOU GO THRU THE TIPS DOWN THE PAGE....

ALSO GOODFELLOW AND JEFF GARNER BOOK IS A MUST......AND DO IT WELL...BEACUSE IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO RETAIN IT AND TAKES A LOT OF TIME TO LEARN.....BUT LEARN IT WELL AND TRY TO GIVEN 3 TO 4 READS OF THIS BOOK OTHERWISE YOU WONT RMEMEBER A THING....

MRCS VIVA EDINBURGH 23RD MAY 2005

ANATOMY:

UPPER LIMB--MY NOTES OF UPPER LIMB
    CHECK CVS BEST MODULE FOR U.L. ANGIOLOGY
    OSTEOLOGY FROM MC MINN ATLAS AND CHAURASIA
    SECTIONS AND DISSECTED BODY FROM MC MINN ATLAS
    ANGIOGRAMS
    MRI SHOULDER
    XRAYS OF U.L. AND ALL DIAGRAMS IN MASTER MEDICINE SERIES OF ANATOMY

LOWER LIMB----HARROLD ELLIS BOOK AND CHAURASIA EXTRA PAGES
    CHECK CVS BEST MODULE FOR L.L. ANGIOLOGY
    OSTEOLOGY FROM MC MINN ATLAS AND CHAURASIA
    ANGIOGRAMS
    MRI KNEE
    XRAYS OF L.L. AND ALL DIAGRAMS IN MASTER MEDICINE

ABDOMEN-----MASTER MEDICINE ABDOMEN OR SIMPLY BEST MODULE OF ABDOMEN WITH ADDED HARROLD ELLIS PAGES IN IT ALONG WITH ATLAS OF BEST ABDOMEN
    AXR
    BARIUM ENEMA DOUBLE CONTRAST
    CT ABDOMEN
    ANGIOGRAMS
    OSTEOLOGY SACRUM FROM MC MINN ATLAS
    ALL DIAGRAMS AND XRAYS FROM MASTER MED.

PELVIS AND PERINEUM------MASTER MEDICINE OR SIMPLY BEST MODULE OF GU WITH ADDED HARROLD ELLIS PAGES IN IT ALONG WITH ATLAS OF GU OF BEST MODULES
    CT PELVIS
    MRI PELVIS (V.V. IMP.)
    SAGITTAL SECTION OR MRI OF FEMALE PELVIS
    SECTIONS AND DISSECTED BODY FROM MC MINN

THORAX-------BEST MODULE OF RESPIRATORY SYSTEM AND CVS PLUS SOME TOPICS FROM HARROLD ELLIS BOOK MENTIONED IN SEPARATE PAGE ALONG WITH ATLAS OF BOTH SYSTEMS OF BEST MODULES
    CXR
    CT THORAX
    OSTEOLOGY FROM MC MINN ATLAS AND CHAURASIA (RIBS AND VERTEBRAES)
    DISSECTED BODY AND SECTIONS FROM MC MINN ATLAS

HEAD AND NECK----BEST MODULE WITH ADDED HARROLD ELLIS PAGES IN IT ALONG WITH ATLAS OF BEST HEAD AND NECK PLUS CRANIAL NERVES FROM MASTER MEDICINE HEAD AND NECK
    CERVICAL SPINE XRAY
    ANGIOGRAM
    OSTEOLOGY FROM MC CARTHY AND MY NOTE ON FOSSA OF SKULL, MANDIBLE AND HYOID ALONG WITH MC MINN ATLAS
    ALL SECTIONS AND DIAGRAMS FROM MASTER MED.
    DISSECTED BODY AND SECTIONS FROM MC MINN

CNS-----MASTER MEDICINE CNS CHAPTER PLUS THE END TOPICS OF HEAD AND NECK CHAPTER OF MASTER MEDICINE
    ANGIOGRAM …..CIRCLE OF WILLIS
    ALL SECTIONS AND DIAGRAMS FROM MASTER MEDICINE
    SECTIONS FROM MC MINN

GENERAL ANATOMY-----JUST BONE, JOINTS AND MUSCLE CLASSIFICATION MENTIONED IN GOOD FELLOW

BREAST AND ENDOCRINE-----BEST MODULE OF THIS CHAPTER ONLY

BLOOD AND LYMPHATICS-----BEST MODULE ONLY

NOW DO GOOD FELLOW ANATOMY VIVA…….. A MUST

CHAN ANATOMY VIVA……..

MC CARTHY ANATOMY VIVA…..

VIVA I GOT ASKED IN ANATOMY:

ON THE TABLE WAS SHOWN A DOUBLE CONTRAST BARIUM ENEMA (THE SAME AS IN MASTER MEDICINE BOOK)……WAS ASKED WHAT IT WAS AND WHY IS IT A DOUBLE CONTRAST

THEN WAS TAKEN TO A SIDE TABLE AND TOLD TO WEAR LATEX GLOVES AND WAS SHOWN A LOWER LIMB (PART OF DISSECTED BODY)…….IN THIS I WAS ASKED WHICH SIDE IT BELONGED TO….LOWER LIMB WAS UPSIDE DOWN…SHOWING THE HAMSTRING MUSCLES…..IT WAS THE LEFT LOWER LIMB

WAS ASKED ABOUT WHAT IS THIS DIAMOND SHAPED THING….SAID POPLITEAL FOSSA……EXAMINER ASKED ME ABOUT THE MUSCLES POINTING TO EACH AND ASKED WHICH ONE IS THIS…..SEMIMEMBRANOSUS,SEMITENDINOSUS, BICEPS FEMORIS,GASTROCNEMIUS(IN OTHER WORDS THE BOUNDARIES OF THE POPLITEAL FOSSA)

ASKED ME ABOUT THE CONTENTS OF POPLITEAL FOSSA….ASKED ME TO SHOW WHICH IS WHICH…HE WAS ONLY INTERESTED TO KNOW THAT POPLITEAL ARTERY IS DEEPEST OF ALL…..

ASKED WHAT IS THIS….LOOKED LIKE A MUSCLE TO ME….TOLD HIM I DON’T KNOW…..THEN HE POINTED TO NECK OF FIBULA AND ASKE DME WHAT IS THIS…TOLD HIM IT IS NECK OF FIBULA….THEN HE ASKED ME NOW CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT THIS IS…..TOLD HIM THAT IT IS COMMON PERONEAL NERVE…..HE ASKE DME WHOSE BRANCH IS IT….TOLD HIM SCIATIC NERVE……WANTED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN IT IS CUT….TOLD HIM FOOT DROP…

THEN GOT TAKEN TO A SECTION OF THE SKULL…..HE POINTED TOWRDS TENTOIUM CEREBELLI AND WANTED TO KNOW WHAT T WAS…THEN ASKED ME ABOUT WHERE IS THE POSTERIOR CRANIAL FOSSA AND MIDDLE CRANIAL FOSSA….THEN PITUTIARY FOSSA,,,,, WHICH IMPORTANT STRUCTURE IS PRESENT NEAR THE PITUTIARY GLAND…TOLD HIM OPTIC CHIASMA…WANTED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS CLINICALLY TO PATIENT IF YOU CUT IT….BITEMPORAL HEMIANOPIA….
    ASKED ABOUT THE DURA AND PIA MATER…..FALX CEREBRI ON THIS …..
    THEN HE POINTD TOWRDS THE PTERION SITE FROM THE INSIDE OF THE SKULL…..AND ASKE DME WHAT HAS MADE THIS IMPRESSION ON THIS SIDE OF THE SKULL…..IT WAS ONLY ONE HALF OF THE SKULL…..FROM THE INSIDE…..TOLD HIM MIDDLE MENINGEAL ARTERY AS IT PASSES BEHIND THE PTERION…..ASKED ME WHAT HAPPENS IN TRAUMA AT THIS SITE…TOLD HIM EXTRA DURAL HEMATOMA…..

THEN GOT TAKEN TO A WET SPECIMEN OF LIVER….AND MY MY NEVER HAVE I SEEN A LIVER SO SMALL…..BUT IT WAS A LIVER…..HE POINTED TOWARDS THE RIGHT AND LEFT LOBE OF THE LIVER TOLD HIME WHAT THEY WERE …THEN ASKED ME FUNCTIONALLY LEFT PART OF THE LIVER BELONGS TO WHICH SIDE……COULD NOT UNDERSTAND HIM…..AND TOLD HIM THAT I DON’T KNOW…SO HE MOVED ON…. .THEN EXAMINER POINTED TOWARDS THE AREA OF LIVER NEAR THE GALL BLADDER AND ASKED ME WHICH AREA IS THIS…TOLD HIM QUADRATE LOBE…..THEN HE POINTED TO PORAT HEPATIS AND ASKED ME WHAT IS THIS…..TOLD HIM….THEN HE POINTED TO ONE OF THE STRUCTURES IN THE PORTA HEPATIS AND ASKED ME WHICH STRUCTURE IS THIS…..IT HAD A VERY LARGE LUMEN …..IT WAS PORTAL VEIN…TOLD HIM….AND THEN HE ASKED ME HOW MUCH BLOOD THIS SUPPLIES TO LIVER…..70 %.

THEN THE BELL RANG……BUT OTHER PEOPLE WERE ALSO TAKEN TO OSTEOLOGY SIDE TABLE BUT I WAS NOT ASKED ANY OSTEO AT ALL……

IN DUBLIN VIVA IT WAS A BIT DIFFERENT BECAUSE ALL THE BONES WERE ARRANGED ON THE TABLE AND THEY STARTED WITH THE OSTEO……AND THEN TOOK US TO THE SIDE TABLES AND ASKED ABOUT THE SECTIONS AND DISSECTED BODIES…..SURFACE ANTOMY ON LIVE MODELS…..MOVEMENTS ON LIVE MODELS OF HIP JOINTS…..AND THEN GOT TAKEN TO CXR, CTS…..WHICH WERE ORIGINAL….

IN EDINBURGH THE CTS MRIS,CXR ARE ENLARGED AND NOT ORIGINAL……ITS LIKE LOOKING AT A FLOUROSCOPIC IMAGE OF EXACTLY THE SAME THING BUT MORE PROMINENT…..

OPERATIVE SURGERY:

BOOKS:

GOODFELLOW OPERATIVE SURGERY VIVA…… MUST KNOW EACH AND EVERY OPERATION IN THIS…….A MUST……DO FIRST….

CHAN OPERATIVE SURGERY VIVA EVEN TONSILLECTOMY IS SOMETIMES ASKED

MC CARTHY OPERATIVE SURGERY VIVA ESPECIALLY ABSCESS…IF TIME

BEST MODULES ONLY TICKED ONES…NOT EVERYTHING…..

VIVA OF OPERATIVE SURGERY

STARTED WITH STERILIZATION….TYPES OF STERILIZATION….MENTIONED HIGH TEMP AND LOW TEMP STERILIZATION METHODS…..THEN ASKED ANY OTHER METHODS THAN THESE…TOLD THEM ABOUT GAMMA IRRADIATION AND LTSF ALL MENTIONED IN NOTES ADDED IN PRICIPLES OF SURGERY GOODFELLOW UNDER THE HEADING OF STERILIZATION

THEN WAS ASKED HOW WOULD YOU KNOW WHETHER YOUR INSTRUMENTS ARE STERILIZED…TOLD THEM ABOUT THE THREE METHODS OF BROWNES TUBES, BOWIE DICK TEST AND LANTOR TEST….HE WANTED TO KNOW IN LANTOR TEST THE INSTRUMENT SHOWS WHAT VALUE FOR YOU TO KNOW THAT THE INSTRUMENTS ARE NOW STERLIZED…..I DID NOT KNOW THE EXACT VALUE….BUT I THINK IT MIGHT EB MENTIONED IN SMIDDY PATHOLGY MCQS BOOK ,,,WILL CHECK AND LET YOU KNOW LATER…..HE ASKED ME IN WHICH OPERATIONS OR CONDITIONS IS IT IMPORTANT TO KNOW ABOUT THIS STERILZIATION….TOLD HIM IN ALL OPERATIONS BUT SPECIFICALLY IN HIGH RISK CATEGORIES INVOLVING HIV ,,HEPATITIS PATIENTS….

THEN MOVED ON TO FRACTURE OF NECK OF FEMUR…HOW PT WILL PRESENT AND WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT…MENTION ABOUT INTRACAPSULAR AND EXTRA CAPSULAR FRACTURES AND MENTION DIFFERENT TREATMENTS FOR EACH,,,ALSO CATEGORIZE THE DIFFERENT TREATMENT IN INTRACAPSULAR FRACTURE OF NECK OF FEMUR IN YOUNG AND OLD PATIENTS…..MENTIONE DIN GOOD FELLOW UNDER DHS AND HEMIARTHROPLASTY…..
    THEN ASKED ABOUT THE ENTIRE PROCEDURE…..POSITION OF PATIENT….AND HOW WILL YOU REDUCE IT AND WHAT WILL U DO THEN…..DONT ASK …THIS WENT BAD….ALL IN GOOD FELLOW….JUST DID NOT REVISE IT…..

SOME PEOPLE WERE ASKED ABOUT APPROACHES TO HIP JOINT ALL MENTIONED IN GOOD FELLOW…ALSO ABOUT POST SPLENECTOMY PROPHYLAXIS ALL MENTIONE DIN GOOD FELLOW…..

ASKED ABOUT PERFORATED DUODENAL ULCER…WHICH INVESTIGATION WILL YOU PERFORM…ERECT CXR..IF NOT ON THIS THEN LEFT LATERAL DECUBITUS FILM….WHY THIS….THEN GOT ASKED ABOUT THE PROCEDURE FOR IT……OVERSEW WITH OMENTAL PATCH….AND ALL…AVOID H PYLORI AND STUFF .JUST LOOK THIS UP IN POSTON….

PHYSIOLOGY

GOODFELLOW PHYSIOLOGY …. A MUST….. DO FIRST

NOW PICK UP MC GEOWN AND DO ALL 9 CHAPTERS FROM THIS BOOK…IMPORTANT MUST COVER THE EXTRA NOTES OF PHYSIOLOGY WITH THE MC GEOWN BOOK

CHAN PHYSIO VIVA…..

MC CARTHY PHYSIO VIVA….

IF TIME KANANI PHYSIO….

PHYSIOLOGY VIVA:

DEFINE THROMBUS…..LOWE PATHO DEFINITION….MENTIONED THAT…
    SYMPTOMS AND SIGNS WHICH A THROMBUS CAN CAUSE….MENTIONED IN KANANI CRITICAL CARE…DEPENDING ON SITE….
    TELL ME ABOUT RISK FACTORS FOR THROMBOSIS…MENTIONED ABOUT THE THRIFT CONSENSUS GROUP ALL GIVEN IN GOOD FELLOW …..
    ASKED ABOUT THE AETIOLOGICAL FACTORS BEHIND THROMBOSIS….HE WAS ASKING ABOUT VIRCHOWS TRIAD …GIVEN IN GOODFELLOW…AND GENERAL PATHOLOGY MASTER MEDICINE..HAD COMBINED THEM LATER IN GOODFELLOW….
    WHICH INVESTIGATION WILL YOU PERFORM…. MENTIONED IN POSTON AND MANAGEMENT OF DVT APART FROM ANTICOAGULANTS AND ALL..MENTIONED IN POSTON FIRST FEW PAGES….THROMBECTOMY AND…IVC FILTERS………ALSO DATTA HAS MENTIONED IN HIS NOTES…

ASKED ABOUT MICTURITION REFLEX…..THE ENTIRE PATHWAY….MY NOTE IN GOODFELLOW….IN ANTAOMY SECTION…
    ASKED ABOUT THE INFLUENCE OF CEREBRAL CORTEX ON THIS PATHWAY.ALSO GIVEN IN MY SAME NOTE….
    ASKED ABOUT THE AUTOMATIC BLADDER AND OTHER TYPES OF BLADDER STATES….IF U CAN IT IS GIVEN IN GANONG PHYSIO….

INTRAPERITONEAL BLEED..CAUSES OF THIS…ALL TYPES OF TRAUMA,,ANEURYSMS,,,….ASKED ABOUT HOW PT WILL PRESENT WITH INTRAPERITONEAL BLEED…..AND WHICH INVESTIGATION WILL YOU PERFORM..MENTION ABOUT AXR ( OBLITERATION OF PSOAS SHADOW),US OF ABDOMEN……HOW BODY WOULD COMPENSATE….HE WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THE IMMEDIATE ,EARLY AND LATE CONTROL OF BLOOD PRESSURE MENTIONED IN MY NOTE IN GOOD FELLOW…..

CRITICAL CARE

START WITH GOODFELLOW…MUST DO EACH AND EVERYTHING FROM HERE …..

NOW CHECK CHAN CRITICAL CARE VIVA

NOW MC CARTHY CRITICAL CARE VIVA

KANANI CRITICAL CARE…A MUST DO….

SELECT TOPICS

AND SOME OF MY ADDED NOTES IN CRITICAL CARE…NOT ALL..LEAVE OUT ON BURNS, NUTRITION, HYPOXIA, AND TOPICS WHICH ARE ALREADY GIVEN IN GOODFELLOW…..

CRITICAL CARE VIVA:

CVP: NORMAL VALUE…..HOW WOULD YOU CHECK CVP IN A PATIENT .MENTION BOTH CLINICAL AND CVP CATHETERIZATION METHODS…..ASKED WHAT IS THE REFERENCE POINT IN CATHETERIZATION…..GIVEN IN CHAN CRITICAL ACRE VIVA,,,, RIGHT ATRIUM…..ASKED ABOUT THE PROCEDURE….WHICH ONE YOU WILL PERFORM AND WHY….AND COMPLICATIONS…ALL MENTIONED IN THE NOTE ON HYPOVOLEMIA IN GOODFELLOW……ASKED ABOUT FLUID CHALLENGE…HOW MUCH YOU WILL GIVE.….AND WHAT IS THE RESPONSE….GIVEN IN GOODFELLOW….MOVED ON TO WHAT IS IT REPRESENTATIVE OF…RT ATRIUM……THEN ASKED WHEN WOULD IT NOT BE USEFUL…SAID WHEN THE RT AN DLF VENTRICLES ARE NOT FUNCTIONING SYNCHRONOUSLY….HE ASKED ME WHAT WILL I DO THEN…SAID SWAN GANZ CARDIAC CATHETER…..ASKED ME ABOUT THE SYMPTOMS AND SIGNS OF LF VENTRICULAR FAILURE….GIVEN IN MC CARTHY…..

RENAL FAILURE….CAUSES IN SURGICAL PATIENT…GIVEN IN GOODFELLOW…..HOW IS ACUTE TUBUALR NECROSIS CAUSED…GIVEN IN KANANI CRITICAL CARE ABOUT ACUTE RENAL FAILURE….ASKED ABOUT WHICH INVESTIGATION YOU WOULD PERFORM IN RENAL FAILURE PATIENTS……ALL GIVEN IN KANANI C.CARE…..WHICH DRUGS ARE NEPHROTOXIC……ASKED ME ABOUT THE NORMAL VALUE OF POTASSIUM…..SAID 3.5 TO 5 MMOL/L….ASKED WHAT IS THE COOMONEST CAUSE OF OLIGURIA IN POST SURGICAL PATIENT….SAID STRESS RESPONSE….HYPOVOLEMIA..OR SIMPLY A BLOCKED CATHETER….

HYPONATREMIA…..CAUSES, MANAGEMENT, ALL GIVEN IN GOODFELLOW….WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO PATIENT……….ASKED ABOUT THE PHYSIOLOGICAL CAUSE BEHIND HYPONATREMIA..SAID OVERHYDRATION WITH 5%DEXTROSE OR TURP SYNDROME…..HE ASKED ME ABOUT TURP SYNDROME …WHAT IS IT…AND SYMPTOMS AND SIGNS ALL MENTIONED IN KANANI AND MC CARTHY……

PATHOLOGY:

GOODFELLOW PATHOLOGY VIVA…A MUST

GENERAL PATHOLOGY MASTER MEDICINE….ONLY THE TOPICS MENTIONED AT THE END OF EACH CHAPTER….MUST DO….

CHAN PATHOLOGY

MC CARTHY PATHOLOGY

LOWE PATHOLOGY VIVA BOOK

BUY THE MASTER MEDICINE SYSTEMIC PATHOLOGY BOOK…..AVAILABILITY DATE IS JULY 2005 FROM AMAZON SITE ANDTHEN COMPARE THIS WITH THE BEST MODULES OF PATHOLOGY

PATHOLOGY VIVA:

BLOOD TRANSUFUSION….INDICATIONS, WHEN TO TRANSFUSE WHICH COMPONENT OF BLOOD….COMPLICATIONS……ALL GIVEN IN GOODFELLOW….ASKED ABOUT WHEN TO TRANSFUSE PLATELETS….ALSO ASKED ABOUT YOUR SHO HAS CALLED YOU UP AND SAID THAT HE HAS TRANSFUSED WRONG BLOOD INTO A PATIENT….WHAT WILL YOU DO….GIVE THE MANAGEMENT GIVEN IN GOODFELLOW OF IMMEDIATE HTR….HOW WILL YOU TAKE BLOOD…..

ASKED ABOUT HYPERCALCEMIA….CAUSES, MANAGEMENT….WHAT WILL BE THE EFFECT ON OTHER IONS IN HYPERCALCEMIA….POTASSIUM IS DECREASED AND MAGNESIUM IS RAISED…..ALL GIVEN IN GOODFELLOW….ASKED ABOUT THE HYPERPARATHYROIDISM …PRIMARY,SECONDARY,TERTIARY…DEFINITIONS…ALL GIVEN IN GOODFELLOW…..

ASKED ABOUT TUMOR MARKERS….GIVEN IN LOWE…..DEFINITION AND TYPES…..IN CRC WHAT IS RAISED….CEA TUMOR MARKER

ASKED ABOUT PARANEOPLASTIC SYNDROME…DEFINITION…AND TYPES….GIVEN IN LOWE…

ABSCESS….DEFINE…WHAT IT CONTAINS…ALL GIVEN IN LOWE….HOW WOULD YOU MANAGE IT…..

PRINCIPLES OF SURGERY:

GOODFELLOW PRINCIPLES OF SURGERY VIVA…A MUST

MY ADDITIONAL NOTES ON PRINCIPLES OF SURGERY

CHAN PRINCIPLES VIVA

MC CARTHY PRINCIPLES VIVA…ESPECIALLY MRSA…IT IS ASKED….

PRINCIPLES OF SURGERY VIVA:

HOW WOULD YOU ADMINISTER ANALGESIA…..ALL GIVEN IN GOOD FELLOW…THE DIFFERENT METHODS….WANTED TO KNOW WHICH ONE U USE IN TERMINAL CARE…PATCHES….
    ASKED WHAT IS GIVEN IN EPIDURAL ANALGESIA….SAID OPIATE….AND LOCAL ANESTHETIC…..ASKED ABOUT LOCAL ANESTHETIC …WHICH ONE WOULD YOU GIVE AND WHAT DOSAGE….SAID LIGNOCAINE AND 3 TO 7 DEPENDING ON ADRENALINE ABSENCE OR PRESENCE…..ASKED IF IN DIGITAL L/A WILL YOU ADD ADRENALINE…SAID NO…..

ASKED ABOUT SUTURES….WHAT IS PDS AND VICRYL…..U SHOULD KNOW POLY DIAXONE AND POLYGLACTIN THE OTHER NAMES OF THESE AS WELL.ALL GIVEN IN GOOD FELLOW…THEIR TENSILE STRENGTH….WAS ALL HE WAS INTERESTED IN….

ASKED ABOUT PRINCIPLES OF AMPUTATION…..INDIACTIONS….MENTIONED….MY SEPARARTE NOTE ON IT…OR ALSO GIVEN IN GOODFELLOW….GANGRENE..ASKED ABOUT GAS AND FOURNIERS GANGRENE…..ALSO PRION AND WHAT CJD –CREUJTZFELT JAKOB DISEASE……IS

INTESTINAL FISTULAE….WANTED TO KNOW EVRYTHING IN THIS….MANAGEMENT…..MY NOTE GIVEN IN MCGEOWN PHYSIO GIT CHAPTER……

AGAIN ASKED ABOUT DVT PROPHYLAXIS…AGAIN MENTIONED ABOUT THRIFT CONSENSUS GROUP THE RISK FACTORS AND PROPHYLAXIS….

NAZISH.

COLLEGIATE VIVA 10TH FEBRUARY DUBLIN

Anatomy viva and operative surgery : was in an anatomy museum.....with all types of bones on the table.....ranging from vertebraes, skull ...u name it and they had the bone on table....and they can ask about attachments and nerve supply.....they have live patients there and we are supposed to mark surface anatomy on them.....they have CXR and ba enemas and angiograms....and cross sections of anatomy region and dissected bodies.....so what you get asked..could be anything.......as for my viva i was handed femur and asked to explain upper end and attachement of capule......was asked about importance of capsule...blood supply(capsular /retinacualr vessels).....site of this...where it comes from....trochanteric/cruciate anastomosis////site...post to hip joint and what are these anastomosis made up of...ie brs which form it... superior gluteal artery is a branch of......int iliac artery....
    handed a hand and asked about carpal bones...name them..important bone....scaphoid...why..mentioned blood supply....in what percentage does blood supply enter bone from proximal to distal...a rarity...weird...
    taken to a cross section of thorax and asked about which lung is which and surface marking of lung...
    taken to cross section of brain...asked about csf flow...and all different parts of that cross section...asked about tongue nerve supply...auditory tube..fuction...where does it open......
    showna cxr and ba enema.....tension pneumothorax and pneumopericardium.....and the bell rang.....
    examiners are very helpful.....dont worry about it.....but its scary until you sit there...once u r there ,,,then its alright.....

as for operative surgery: abdominal dehiscence..causes.......testicular torsion----informed consent,,,,,chest intubation procedure.....here topics were changed rapidly and i was asked a whole lot of them....but can remember these only...rest have written them down

physiology...lady was very nice.....asked about pancreas secretion...contents.....enzymes....loop of henle....countercurrent exchange.....metabolic acidosis...causes and compensatory mechanism.....very nice lady....

critical care-----sikh guy.....nice...asked about post op oliguria...causes and management.....how a person with 2 litres loss of blood would present to emergency and which fluids to give.....difference between pre renal failure and renal failure....atelectasis causes and management.

pathology----- biopsy,cytology and methods of diagnosing undifferentiated cancer in laboratory,,,got asked about immunohistochemistry....prostatic ca...PSA --bound, rebound....and TRUS which biopsy...core or wedge....

principles.....bed sores...carotid artery disease.....incisions......atelectasis again....surgical infections...needles....

it was horrifying .......and scary but once the viva started it was alright....but the long wait upto it...the preparation.....going about blindly from one book to another...not knowing what will be asked...and whether one can retain info or not......it was only God who passed me...as one can be asked anything from the vast syllabus and one can never complete the whole syllabus...
    take care.
    and good luck”

i have already posted this at the www.mcqs.com and netmedicos forum....and i am posting this here as well so that majority of people out there can benefit from it...

take care,
    nazish.
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

thats a lot to read...i think mrcs is lot easier than above...anyway...there is no harm in reading more
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

That is very useful, can u please let me know when you will paste the Best modules? Thanks.
  4. guest1

guest1 Guest

thanks a lot

hey
    i should thank you specifically cos you make my life little easier with these postings... do more pal and i would be grateful to you
    good wishes to you
    bye
  5. guest1

guest1 Guest

hi

I have to give my Plab 2 in march and have got both parts of final MRCS in may/june. I also work for a hosp now. Can you suggest me how could i go about preparing for my final MRCS. You gave a big list for oral examination, what about clinical examination ? what would u suggest? do reply
    thanks a lot in anticipation
    bye
  6. Nazish G

Nazish G Guest

hi,

i tried to post them at mcqs.com and they all got deleted...copyright material i guess...so sorry about that.....it is the same as the master medicine series...just summaries of these...so do not worry if u dont have them......
    as for the clinicals will let you guys know soon...
    take care,
    nazish.
  7. Nazish G

Nazish G Guest

and another thing,
    u dont have to worry about the long list of books.....it just tells u about the type of questions asked in the exam....

u can leave out mc carthy,,,,chan....
    but goodfellow books is a must and so is the master medicine series....

as for the viva questions ...go to this site

www.surgical-tutor.org.uk
    click on exam preparation and then scroll down and click on submissions and u will have viva pool from 1999 onwards,
    take care,
    nazish.
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

Dear Nazish g

I tried to get the viva question pool from surgical tutor but i couldn't find the link from exam preperation. Can u please advice where i could find the viva question pool.

Thanku

drgowthamchowdarykankanala@gmail.com
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

Help

Good morning Dr Nazish G, you help me allot through giving me the list of recommended books for Part2 MRCS and I need your help now in Part 3 and god bless you wherever you are……………
    i want to ask you some questions: I found your recommended books in this forums are :

Surgical Critical Care Vivas
    Mazyar Kanani

Physiology: A Core Text of Human Physiology with Self-assessment: A Core Text of Human Physiology with Self-Assessment (Master Medicine) (Paperback)
    by J.G. McGeown (Author)

Clinical Anatomy: A Core Text with Self-assessment (Master Medicine) (Paperback)
    by W.S. Monkhouse (Author)

Pathology: A Core Text of Basic Pathological Process with Self-assessment (Master Medicine) (Paperback)
    by Paul Bass (Author), Norman Carr (Author)

Systematic Pathology: A Clinically-orientated Core Text with Self Assessment: A Clinically Orientated Core Text with Self Assessment (Master Medicine) (Paperback)
    by Paul Bass (Author), Susan Burroughs (Author), Claire Way (Author)

QUESTIONS FOR THE MRCS VIVA (JEFF GARNER AND PETER
    GOODFELLOW

VIVA Practice for Intercollegiate MRCS (Part 3) By: Mr Christopher Chan
    30 March 2004 pastest

Intercollegiate MRCS: An Aid to the VIVA Examination By: Mr Christopher
    Chan, Mr Alex Malone and Mr Manoj Ramachandran 28 June 2005 pastest

so my :
    1- I bought befor I saw your list the Essential revision notes for intercolegiate MRCS Book1 and 2 from pastest 2006 (Which give full coverage of the syllabus for all Parts including part 3), with some viva books such as 2 books of Chan,Geff and Goodfellow ,Those book1 and 2 could be a substitute of Master Medicine series:anatomy,Physiology,pathology and surgery1 and 2 only? Or I should buy those series and forget Essential revision book1,2
    So which list I can follow..?................
    2- I could not find your post in surgical tutor in viva poll, so no exam preparation link at all, where can I find it? Or if you have questions can you send it to me if possible…………..
    Thanks for your help and god will direct you to correct way in your career.........
    Thanks again
  10. gabermm

gabermm Guest

The MRCS study plan is much simpler than this!

I think it is very unrealistic to list a number of books for every section of the viva and even for some topics of viva sections!

Of course if you go through all these books and sources , you (may) pass, but it is obvious that you will need much more time to digest and revise them all, besides, you can pass using only the well known viva books as I did and as I advise others to do, on condition that you study them more than twice!

This is in fact an exaggeration as you will not need all this plethora of books and sources, the real case is much much simpler than this, only an opinion out of personal experience.

Gaber
    Germany[/b][/i]
  11. Cracker21

Cracker21 Guest

Agree

I agree with you completely Dr Gaber it's a long list and you need time to be digested, What is your recommedned list in Viva and Clinical in short way?............Thanks for help.
  12. cooldoctor

cooldoctor Guest

what is best modules? where r they?

dear do Nazish or any one who knows,
    what is this best module and how to find it.
    cheers
  13. DR.GUL

DR.GUL Guest

hi

thnx for ur help i hope u lll guide us more .

thnx again .

any on line courese dat u recommend ??
  14. surgeon1199

surgeon1199 Guest

mrcs3 clinical

this needs a broad spectrum/wide speciality exposure and lot of confidence..short way is to attend North Manchester MRCS-3 course. :oops:
  15. Guest

Guest Guest

good morning ,i'm going to take the mrcs 3,on the coming october ,i'm looking for a study group in egypt .Good luck every body.