my IELTS experience (band 8.5 overall)

Discussion in 'IELTS Forum' started by rhonda., Sep 24, 2008.

1. rhonda.

rhonda. Guest

rhonda
    AIPPG Experienced Senior Member

16387 Credits

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:40 pm Post subject: my IELTS experience (band 8.5 overall)

Hi all!

I took IELTS Feb 26 (academic) and I just got the results. I got 8-9-7-9, a total of 8.5. I didn't know that it was possible to get a 0.5 grade over-all. But that's what's written in the TRF I received...

I would just like to thank everyone in this forum for helping me achieve my score on my first attempt.

To those who will be taking IELTS soon, my advice is just to practice, practice, practice! Time yourself. Also, there are many free sites shared by many in this forum and all you have to do is download. They are more than enough! I practiced for a month but not as much as I wanted to because I'm working full time. So I guess the minimum time to review and still get a reasonable score is 1 month.

Obviously, my weakest was the writing part. I just hate writing essays! So I figured to share with you what I could remember so far. Task 1 asked to interpret a table on a survey regarding theaters. Task 2 wanted to know my views on the impact of computers on social issues. I had a hard time interpreting the table because the figures given were a bit tricky!

Thanks again everyone for helping me make a step closer to my dream.

[WARNING by AIPPG Team : Copying of any experience in this thread to other forums / sites is prohibited; AIPPG owns copyrights of this thread. Abusers will be prosecuted and reported ]

Last edited by rhonda on Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
    mahedi likes this.
  2. indica.

indica. Guest

indica

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:18 pm Post subject:

I would like to share my experience of IELTS at New Delhi by british council.

To start with we got a listening test with cordless headphones, we were all told to test the headphones and properly hear the demo music going on.

The listening part was easy for me, as compared to samples in Insight into Ielts. I could get all the conversation > how many answers I dont know

Then the reading part

This was sort of tricky , it consisted to 3 part as usual. But as compared to normal one series of questions where we have to match the para headings we gor 2 of these. So out of 40 total , 12 questions were only match the paras in the texts with the headings, I comparatively hate such tasks. Thugh I believe that I did them well. And yes I called this part tricky as the first excercise was most difficult and time consuming as compared to rest 2.

Then the writing part

we had two parts

1st was > write a 150 words on a diagram which showed a river flow

The river flow was marked as fast at the start and slow at the end , A delta was visible at the end marked as sea.

Attached to this diagram were two sub illustrations which showed that pollutants were in flow in faster moving river and settle down in slow moving end of river. Also farming pollutants were shown to be used as food by river bed plants

2nd > write 250 words on

Some schools give admission solely on basis of academic ability, while others believe that this should not be a criteria.

I have messed up with the essay title some what but its meaning remained the same.

Now writing was comparatively bad then other modules on the first day. The next day we were called for speaking

Speaking > This is where I am really worried : the examiner was from some western country,

I made these mistakes

1) Spoke slowly, She asked me to speak loudly. Also with this she put the tape recorder more near to me. I wish she dosent apply a penalty for that

2) I paused for a second or 2 at the max in my long turn

3) When the last series was going on I had to ask her to repeat a question

Rest all questions I, in my opinion answered well and with long good justifiable answers. I could apeak fluently, backup my thoughts and maintain some eye contact.

There were questions like

1) Describe a happy person, why is he / she happy
    2) How do you relax
    3) Do people relax often these days.

Hope you all pray for me and I pass.

congrats rhonda , you got a good score!!
  3. May

May Guest

May

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:39 am Post subject: Congrats

Congrats!!! which IELTS book did you use can you share it with me. I want an academic and at least band 7 in speaking.
  4. rhonda.

rhonda. Guest

rhonda

16387 Credits

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:08 am Post subject:

Hi again!

Thanks indica! I'm sure I wouldn't be able to do it without the help of this forum. Don't worry about pausing, asking the examiner to repeat the questions or being asked to speak loudly. They're just but natural thing to happen in a daily conversation. I guess what's being tested in the speaking part is how spontaneous you are when trying to convey your thoughts without having to stammer or ran out of relevant things to say. So if you think that you did well, then you should have nothing to worry about. You'll have no problem getting a 9 too! But of course, the grade we'll get depends subjectively on the examiner...

Thanks may! When I came across this forum last January, I browsed through all the past posts and visited all the links shared by the members. I spent almost 2 weeks downloading sites because my internet connection was horribly sooo slow! Anyway, it might be a good idea to look into the posts of "dampy" and "IELTS teacher". For me, they were really helpful.

Good luck and many thanks to everyone in this forum!
  5. lee.

lee. Guest

lee
    AIPPG Fresher

177 Credits

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:49 am Post subject:

Congratulation rhonda,

I intend to take exam on May 26. In fact, I have to work 6days per week and have a little time for studying. Could you let me know how you arrange your time. Thanks
  6. ismail-

ismail- Guest

ismail-

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:46 pm Post subject: indica

Hi indica
    I have taken the same test . and I also did some misteks. When did you take your test?
  7. rhonda.

rhonda. Guest

rhonda

16387 Credits

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:25 am Post subject:

Hi lee! First of all, I downloaded every review sites I could find in this forum. Then I made a schedule to cover all of them in one month - 1 review book for 2 days in a row. So it's like 1 new review book every other day. Dwell more on the review books that simulate the actual exam, like those from Cambridge, Insight into IELTS, or Prep.

Working and studying can be really hard. But it can be done.

Good luck!
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:59 am Post subject:

Thank you for your advice rhonda. Yeah, IT CAN BE DONE
  9. rhonda.

rhonda. Guest

rhonda

16387 Credits

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:52 pm Post subject:

congrats indica! Great job!
  10. ameh

ameh Guest

ameh

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:44 pm Post subject: IELTS

I am new to this forum. I am planning to take the IELTS academic at Delhi in the next 2 months. Can anyone guide me about this . Also how to go ahead with the websites and down load the material as Rhonda has mentioned. Am impressed with Rhonda and indica too.

Cheers to both of U

ameh
  11. Bhatti.

Bhatti. Guest

Bhatti

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:15 pm Post subject:

Rhonda. how did you prepare for Listening and Reading.Please guide.
  12. dr ajit.

dr ajit. Guest

dr ajit

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:28 pm Post subject: Re: my IELTS experience (band 8.5 overall)

Hi guys
    I got overall 8.0 in IELTS.The Only way to acheive good marks in the IELTS is to practice,practice and practice.I wish all every success.

May God Bless you all

Ajit

rhonda wrote:
    Hi all!

I took IELTS Feb 26 (academic) and I just got the results. I got 8-9-7-9, a total of 8.5. I didn't know that it was possible to get a 0.5 grade over-all. But that's what's written in the TRF I received...

I would just like to thank everyone in this forum for helping me achieve my score on my first attempt.

To those who will be taking IELTS soon, my advice is just to practice, practice, practice! Time yourself. Also, there are many free sites shared by many in this forum and all you have to do is download. They are more than enough! I practiced for a month but not as much as I wanted to because I'm working full time. So I guess the minimum time to review and still get a reasonable score is 1 month.

Obviously, my weakest was the writing part. I just hate writing essays! So I figured to share with you what I could remember so far. Task 1 asked to interpret a table on a survey regarding theaters. Task 2 wanted to know my views on the impact of computers on social issues. I had a hard time interpreting the table because the figures given were a bit tricky!

13. dr ajit.

dr ajit. Guest

dr ajit

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:31 pm Post subject: Re: my IELTS experience (band 8.5 overall)

I think that the two standard books from british council is sufficient + practice, practice and practice i.e. listening to the radio not tv, reading small columns in the newspapers.What i found that practice is the core for ielts. Hope you all succeed in ielts.

May God Jehovah bless you all.

Regards
    dr ajit

dr ajit wrote:
    Hi guys
    I got overall 8.0 in IELTS.The Only way to acheive good marks in the IELTS is to practice,practice and practice.I wish all every success.

May God Bless you all

Ajit

rhonda wrote:
    Hi all!

14. nz

nz Guest

nz

Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:37 am Post subject:

Hi friends,
    I am going to take ielts academic in 2 days.Can any experienced friends give me some advice about the test?Also i want to know whether i can write the test with ball point pen. Really iam so nerveous.Please do reply soon and also pray for this unknown friend.
  15. AIPPG Support
    TEAM AIPPG

132508 Credits

Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:16 am Post subject:

Quote:
    i can write the test with ball point pen
    Listening and Reading are to be ONLY written by pencil,

The writing part can be written with pen / pencil, but if you are apt to make spelling mistakes use a pencil.

Do remember that you dont have time to repeatedly erase and rewrite sentences / reword them. So better build a plan before writing first and stick to that
  16. K

K Guest

K

Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:29 am Post subject: I took the general test today - my experience

FYI I have studied secondary school mathematics and science so i didn't get a lot of language lessons though i did take some classes in English and French

the listening test was easier than I expected but I must say I practiced a lot (free test on the internet, watching BBC, etc..) The speed of the conversations gradually got faster but I was possible to clearly hear al the answers

the reading test was not to hard but also not to easy - you did need every minute and read very fast - here also the key word is pratice -
    the writing test was horrible difficult - i am not a goood writer and even in my native language (beeing Dutch) i am very bad at writing essays
    so I keep my fingers crossed because this could be the part of the ielts that will make me take it all over again (for emigartion you have to have an overall score of 6 on every item)

the speaking was ok though I was very nervous, the avigilator did her very best to calm me down but I was so excited that I may have made some grammar faults however I did get my point of view across and I hope they also give points for that

I will know my results within a week so I keep my fingers crossed
  17. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:38 pm Post subject:

Hello K
    Where did you sit the test and when?
  18. uaeboy

uaeboy Guest

uaeboy

Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:03 pm Post subject: thanx

hi everyone,,,, i want to thankx everyone whos mentioned in his reply a site for IELT.
  19. guest.

guest. Guest

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:36 pm Post subject: help

hi rhonda,
    can u please guide me how can i improve my reading and writing as i m not good in it. i have to take test on 18th of this month but inspite of so much of practice i still feel that i need to improve a lot .since you have got very good band score please helpme.
  20. rhonda.

rhonda. Guest

rhonda

16387 Credits

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:36 am Post subject:

As for reading, it requires you to read the questions first then scan the topics for the answer. I think that's the sanest way of doing the test. I finished mine half the alloted time by doing just that. More importantly, time yourself when doing the practice tests. The actual test is almost the same with those from cambridge.

As for writing, well I posted some practice topics last month in this forum. You may want to practice on those.

Good luck!
  21. Chris.

Chris. Guest

Chris

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:53 pm Post subject:

Congrats to you all who already passed the exams!

I was wondering Rhonda, where are you from and how was your English before you studied english? I'm in New Zealand now and I want to do the IELTS test on academic level as well. I'm looking for courses here to improve my english. But if you did it in 1 month on the computer maybe I can try that as well, saves me a lot of money!

Hope to hear from you,
    Christel
  22. rhonda.

rhonda. Guest

rhonda

16387 Credits

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:54 pm Post subject:

Hi chris! I came from a country where English is the second language. Yours isn't bad as well. Given proper prep, you'll do more than fine in the test. Just familiarise yourself with the format and practice! Good luck!
  23. gem75x.

gem75x. Guest

gem75x
    AIPPG Senior Member

864 Credits

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:16 am Post subject: just passed IELTS in Philippines

To everybody, I'm grateful for all advices, this forum helped me do wonders even to myself.
    I got 7.5 overall, 8.5/8/7/7.
    I'm supposed to get it last year at the Uni of Westminster, but circumstances led me back home.

I've used Cambridge IELTS 3 2002 including audio CDs, and I've downloaded Dr. Vivek's TIPS/Advices & watched CNN,BBC and AusTV eversince.
    I admit the time period of my review was shortlived (2 weeks) but allow me to share some points which might help anybody in some ways.

Listening.
    I think one needs to practice a lot with the CD's(with the workbook) because they simulate a lot the real exam.
    You need a lot of focus because the recording was played only once, what helped me a lot were the advice of reading ahead the questions(taking note of what type of questions ex. asking for a direction, a place,time, a person) before a recording was played.
    I noticed that although some questions can be filled in (the blanks) right away as the recordings were played, one needs to undertand what was stated in the monologue because what you need in the next questions can be answered by what you heard earlier in the monologue(whether the speaker agrees or disagrees with the second or third person.
    Basically you must realize hearing is different from listening.
    Reading.
    as stated in Dr. Vivek's advice, supposed to be the hardest. I agree.
    I can say that taking Academic reading you also need focus, and skills in skimming and scanning.When I scanned the questions following each paragraph before starting doing the reading, I've even had taken note(encircling/underlining in each question) whether that particular group of questions is multiple choice, matching, asking for specific idea or item like names.So when I started reading the article, I'm filling the answer sheet directly as I'm reading the paragraphs.Since you're not given time to transfer answer to answer sheet.
    One very good point to remember is that, you must be conscious of the time given(during my exam aside from a wristwatch in front of me, the exam hall has a big clock in front). You know, what had helped me a lot was when I realized there is still lots of time remaining 3-5 minutes every after paragraph, you can check again and review your answers. I think I felt that I am more than sure because there I realized the paragraph itself were a little bit tricky, almost half of my answers were changed and corrected in the process.
    Writing.
    I lacked practice, but I saw to it to make first an outline.
    as advised by Dr. Vivek's, I checked first with
    the second topic which goes like this...some people believe that universities nowadays were not able to make undergraduates equipped with the needed skills when they eventually join the workforce.Others believe that education must be provided to students for the true purpose of education per se-art of education. In your opinion, what is the true function of University education? From the outline I made earlier just after knowing waht is asked- I was able to elaborate by composing sentences.
    in interpreting the table which is the first task. From the outline I made earlier after knowing what is asked, I composed paragraphs regarding the given line graph.(a survey from (x-axis)1875 to 2010 of % of working personnel-agriculture/marketing & manufacturing(y axis).
    I think what is important here is understanding what you're asked for and answer through your self composition. This would require your creativity.
    Lastly since a line in the answer sheet usually is composed of 8-12 words(based on my handwriting) I made sure that I did not lack the required no. of words, 150 for the first and 250 for the 2nd. I 've exceeded them a little.
    Speaking.
    Since I've registered for the exam just 2 weeks before my preferred date, I'm examinee no. 90-100 out of i think 200 examinee. since total was halved into two and the 2nd half were scheduled the following monday-a separate day I felt lucky i'm completing last part-listening on same day.But when i checked on the schedule, i was surprised it would be on a different venue and i was scheduled 8pm (first 3 parts were finished at lunchtime in a different venue) so i have to prepare myself few hours more and to travel.I failed to check,answer, and prepare even 2-3 sentences each on list of topics.
    It rained so hard that night that when i arrived at the speaking test site, i was immediately called in to enter the room.
    The first two parts were alright.I was able to introduce myself well and answered some questions like please describe your hometown, when i said it's different unlike before, the interviewer asked how come, so i explained reasons why i described it that way.there was a question like do you still have dreams, what can you say about it- i replied i think they are expressions of your innermost desires and thoughts.
    i was asked what do you think is the most common and effective way of communications nowadays in your country, i replied - still one on one communication with people, i explained that through it, you can show facial expressions and body language.when he corrected me how about the use of sms or texting i just reasoned out, that personally i considered mobile texting as an impersonal way of communication.
    secondly, i was asked to prepare short talk on- have you got news recently, who informed you, when did you received, what makes the news interesting. 1 minute was given, i was able to make an outline and was able to elaborate by telling sentences based on the outline.
    my problem came with the last part which was supposed to be an argument between me and the interviewer on a topic which was related to the 2nd part. Although i was still able to say some sentences, there were instances that i mumbled some words with some few seconds of gaps and stuttering in between but i prevented saying any ahh in between words. I was asked on how do i spend time with my family, what form of mass media resources does most filipino get nowadays? my problem with the latter question is that i think i failed to answer the question, i explained that people do not mind choosing options and tend to just receive and get what is being provided in the media and look for other avenues. finally when the interviewer asked me again what form of mass media filipinos commonly get, i was able to answer that radio communications/transmissions in contrast to television and other forms since majority of the population still thrives in coastal and countryside outreaches of the country.
    My main problem in the last part was practice in everyday use of english, which i lacked obviously since i've worked with local people for the last 5 years. It's seldom that i had the opportunity to speak the language.

but, still I'm grateful to pass IELTS in one take.
    Thanks again to everybody, especially to AIPPG.
    Truly this recent IELTS result for me would open more doors of opportunities. I hope I was able to share in any ways possible.
  24. vui _ve

vui _ve Guest

vui _ve

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:20 pm Post subject: Thanks

It's really good material.Thanks
  25. moon.

moon. Guest

moon

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:06 am Post subject:

Thanx mate it will definately help me but from where i downloade Dr. Vivek's TIPS/Advices .I m not finding it on site, plz help me out .
  26. ixanjum.

ixanjum. Guest

ixanjum

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:50 am Post subject: reading

I am going for general training reading test after 3 days. Can some one help me for reading teast.
  27. James Flores
    Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:50 pm Post subject:

hi, i was just in awe of your band score! For me, it's one exceptional one. The deal is, i want to talk to people who took the exam by their own resourcefulness, creativity and effort. Currently i am in the middle of a tunnel (self-study), uncertain if I am treading the right path.
    But I agree with you, the best way to get a reasonable score is practice, practice, and more practice. I have been evaluating my scores especially in the reading module (needless to say this is my weakest part) and I'm getting a total score of 32/40, 30/40... I don't know how they interpret and compute the scores. But would you think I have the gots to take the IELTS? I've been in review for more than a week now...i know it's still long way to go - to master the techniques and strategies...help me please!
  28. rhonda.

rhonda. Guest

rhonda

16387 Credits

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:54 am Post subject: to james flores

Thanks!

Your post is well constructed. So I don't think you'll be having a problem in getting your thoughts across. In the reading part, you just have to familiarise yourself with the different test formats they give in the practice tests, like in Cambridge or Insights into IELTS. I don't know if there are any new free sites around as I don't check anymore... You have what it takes! If taking this exam means a lot to you, then practice as much as you can then go ahead and take it! Good luck and all the best to you!
  29. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:07 pm Post subject:

Salaam,

I cleared IELTS from British Council in July 2004. I got 8 in Speaking & Reading and 7 in Listening & Writing with an overall band score of 7.5.

IELTS assesses your English Language skills & it's upto you how much you polish your skills using your brains.

Wherever you stand with whatever English Language skills, if you intend to appear in IELTS, you need to know whether your English is good enough to take you through the test or not.

In this regard, IELTS Practice Tests' Books are available in the market. I read "Cambridge Series" & "101 Tips For IELTS". In the Cambridge Series, there is a book called "Insight into IELTS" which has all the tips.....and there are 3 more books which have the practice tests. In "101 Tips for IELTS" also, there are both tips as well as practice tests. Many more books are available in the market.

Please remember that these books do not significantly improve your English. Thay are only to:

1: Aquaint you to the test pattern.

2: Make you utilize your English Language skills to attain the best possible results in IELTS.

3: To slip you into a rhythm of giving IELTS test.

There are four categories in the IELTS Test: Listening, Reading, Writing & Speaking. Minimum passing band-scores for listening, reading & writing is 6 and that for speaking is 7. Whereas the minimum overall band-score required by a doctor is 7.

HOW TO PRACTISE?

Initially, choose any one category....lets say Listening. Now read all the tips about Listening from wherever you can..be it books like "Cambridge Series" & "101 Tips For IELTS" or any other books or be it internet.

Once you have read all the tips, then you move on to the practice tests. Do a few practice tests. If you come good in the practice tests.....means your listening skills are upto the mark where you can clear this section of the IELTS test.

Likewise, do for other categories......that is, first read the tips......and then do practice tests & assess yourself.

Now, as I said, if you are doing good in practice tests, well & fair. But if you are not able to get the required band score in any/all of the categories, then you need to improve on that category. Since the IELTS books do not improve your English, you'll have to do this from other respects.

You can improve your listening skills by listening to BBC or other English news channels or movies. In doing so, try to focus hard and understand as much as what the speaker is saying.

Reading can be improved by reading English newspapers, novels and also medical research papers. Try to increase your speed and try to understand and memorize as much as you can when reading a certain passage.

Writing can be improved by writing more and more.........and same is with speaking i.e. you speak with your family and friends as much as you can.

But apart from this, you should also consult a grammer book like WREN & MARTIN ENGLISH GRAMMER & COMPOSITION.

Once you feel you have improved the particular categories well enough, again start doing practice tests for that category and assess yourself.

If you do well.....good. But if still you fail to take the required band score, then you should again try and improve your English by the methods already mentioned above.

Well, this is a general pattern to prepare for IELTS test.

InshaAllah, I'll very soon write about tips and tricks about individual categories as well.

Regards,

Dr Ali Asghar
  30. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:48 am Post subject:

How long does it take to prepare for the exam, for a score above 7.

I have to sit for the exam after a month, and i m really worried..
  31. drpradeep123

drpradeep123 Guest

drpradeep123

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:13 am Post subject: regarding my failure in ielts thrice

i have given my ielts thrice .and all three times i got a overall band score of 6.5. i lost two times in reading and writing with both times band score being 6. this time i lost in writing with band score6. i had taken coaching and had done more than 10 tests.even my instuctor was confident that i had a potential to get a band score of 8. i'm really depressed. can you please guide me on this.
  32. drpradeep123

drpradeep123 Guest

drpradeep123

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:18 am Post subject:

i have given my ielts thrice .and all three times i got overall band of 6.5. ilost two times in reading and writing with both band score of 6. this time i lost in writing with band score6. i had taken coaching and had done more than 10 tests. i'm really depressed. can you please guide me on this.
  33. sonam_tob

sonam_tob Guest

sonam_tob

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:07 pm Post subject: IELTS Teacher requirement

I am in need of an IELTS Trainer for my center. If there is anyone in New Delhi who os qualified...please mail me. This is urgent! Pay would be...Rs 20K a month. mail@ sonam_t@apollohospitals.com
  34. reina

reina Guest

reina

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:04 am Post subject: which one is better

i was planning to take the ielts this october, so i had bought a review book to help me prepare for the exam. I was wondering for those who have taken the exam if it was better to review by the book or to go to a review course, where they help you prepare for the exam? Please reply back thanks!
  35. patel brijesh

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:50 am Post subject: i am not getting a 6 band

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rhonda wrote:
    Hi all!

36. Htat

Htat Guest

Htat

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:02 pm Post subject: Re: my IELTS experience (band 8.5 overall)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello!

Friend,

My name is Htat from Myanmar(Burma).
    I'm now preparing for IELTS test too. And I'm facing some problems.
    First, I can't manage the time. Second I'm really afraid of Writing Task 2.
    But, I want to get high score like you. Frankly to say, 7 will be OK , not exactly same of you.I'm really envy you, friend. Am I planning to built a castle in the sky? Hope your advice and suggest would be helpful to me.
    Wish you have a Good Day!

Bye for now,
    Your new friend,
    Htat

rhonda wrote:
    Hi all!

37. Imran Ali

Imran Ali Guest

Imran Ali

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:12 am Post subject: I cannot figure out the calculations, got an 8.5

I am a diplomat so i do get to write , listen to and speak a lot of english. I went in without preparation, got an 8 in Listening, a 9.0 in reading, an 8.0 in writing, and an 8.0 in speaking. The total, surprisingly, read 8.5. It should have been an 8.0 i think but this is what it said in the result.
    I think the reading in the academic module is very difficult, but if you will youself up, one could get a 9.0.
    Listening is a breeze and so is writing, if you read any IELTS book. Speaking is very general and my interviewer was very very nice.
    Take care.
    My name is Imran Ali
    Goodbye
  38. rhonda.

rhonda. Guest

rhonda

16387 Credits

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:34 am Post subject: htat

Hi htat! Passing IELTS is not easy but it's not impossible either, especially for you if you work hard studying for it! So just practice, practice, and do a lot more practicing and you'll do just fine. Tackle the task 2 writing and conquer your fears! Good luck!
  39. guest23

guest23 Guest

guest23

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:26 pm Post subject: Pass mark

Folks, I got 7,7,7,9 are these scores good enough to qualify for CAD immigration? (am applying for full 16 points).
  40. Ameena

Ameena Guest

Ameena

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:12 pm Post subject: help

hiiii

I want to know how you get higher mark like this in the IELTS.

I want to know all ways to pass and get exellenet maek like you.

please send me something pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  41. assiram

assiram Guest

assiram

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:01 pm Post subject: cambridge 4 download

Hi! I'll be sitting for the Ielts Academic Module in the 29th of this month.I need the complete Cambridge 4 with answers.I've tried sandheap but it's incomplete.I'd really appreciate any help on this.
  42. steve jerry

steve jerry Guest

steve jerry

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:16 pm Post subject: REQUEST HELP

HI FRENS

I m from burma. i m taking ielts in a week. i think i m pretty confident as i studied. but i hav some questions that i want to ask.
    are their instructions on the question clear? i mean do they really get you to the point? do they give some time to read questions b4 each listening part? wat should i use for writing module, pen or pencil? any tips for speaking module?
    sorry if i asked too many unnecessary questions. trauma is killing me.

thanks

Steve
  43. hey

hey Guest

hey

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:56 am Post subject: Re: my IELTS experience (band 8.5 overall)

You are a big layer..
    rhonda wrote:
    Hi all!

44. sasa.

sasa. Guest

sasa

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:51 am Post subject: Help, help.. help..

Hi all,
    I'm very worried right now. I'll be taking my IELTS this Saturday, I tried doing the listening practice tests twice, and both i scored on 7, I tend to get panic when i couldnt answer a question. How do you actually keep yourself calm?
    As for reading, I think it is a good idea to read the questions first.
    What worries me the most is that i havent even tried the writitng and speaking test!!!! Is Social phobia counted as sickness? I have a problem meeting with people especially strangers, i tend to mutter my words, i dont know if I could pass my the speaking test..
    Do think it is possible to score at least 7 for writing without preparation? (time is really running out for me).. I dont need 8.5 (rhoda, your score is really superb, i dont think i could pass but it is nice to get 7.5 for my IELTS.
  45. chits.

chits. Guest

chits

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:56 pm Post subject: Re: Help, help.. help..

hey sasa..

i am taking the test this saturday too. i dont know how to help you calm yourself..but i do know that you are free to talk slowly...you do not have to talk very quickly..take your time as long as it doesnt look like you are stopping to think.
  46. sasa.

sasa. Guest

sasa

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:20 am Post subject: :D

I got a 7.5 for my exam! i'm really happy about it, and as expected, i scored lowest with my speaking test (6). I dont really know how to improve it. Perhaps i should just talk and talk to people more?

To people out there, Good luck! Practice tests do help me a lot!!!
  47. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:40 pm Post subject:

i am new to this forum i am going to appear for ielets text in next month that is on may 26th please help me by your valuable suggestions
  48. Koshi's friend

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:01 pm Post subject:

hi every body. why stops ...write down your expression and feelings and experiences about IELTS. Actually, I think we should be concentrated in our study except otherwise we will loose our vigor. lets study at least one hour for IELTS everyday.

take care.................
  49. rad.

rad. Guest

rad

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:07 pm Post subject: IELTS Samples

Hi there, Have a look at my sample essays IELTS Samples. Essays, Letters, ...

The rising levels of congestion and air pollution found in most of the world's cities can be attributed directly to the rapidly increasing number of private cars in use. In order to reverse this decline in the quality of life in cities, attempts must be made to encourage people to use their cars less and public transport more.

Discuss possible ways to encourage the use of public transport.

You should write at least 250 words.
    You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.

model answer:

Anyone who lives in a city is aware of the increasing number of cars on the road and the kinds of problems this creates: traffic jams, air pollution and longer commuting periods. As economies grow and access to cars spreads to increasing numbers of people, this trend is likely to worsen. The solution, it would seem, is for governrnment to encourage the use of public transport in urban areas, thus decreasing dependence on the car.

One way to stimulate public transport use is to make private car use more expensive and inconvenient. The introduction of tolls along urban motorways has been successfully employed in many cities. Other such measures are high-priced permits for parking in urban areas and the restriction of parking to a limited number of cars. Faced with high costs or no place to park, commuters would perhaps be more willing to abandon their cars in favour of buses or trains.

There are also less punishing ways of spurring public transport use. The construction of free carparks at suburban train stations has proven successful in quite a number of countries. This allows commuters to drive part of the way, but take public transport into the central, most congested, urban areas.

Indeed, making public transport more comfortable and convenient should work to attract more commuters and decrease traffic congestion. Public transport that is convenient and comfortable retains its passengers, much like any business that satisfies its customers. The more commuters committed to taking public transport, the less congestion on city streets.
  50. ANWAR

ANWAR Guest

ANWAR

Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:24 pm Post subject: Need Advice

Hi everybody,

Congratulations to people who have already achieved great IELTS results and wish sucess for others taking the exam soon.

I am writing you from Afghanistan where I am working with the UN Refugee Agency. I have been registered to take IELTS on 24 May, but you know I am so worried about Reading Component which I found somehow difficult though I have been practicing for the last one month. The only problem I have had with Reading part is the time constraint and my correct answers have not exceeded over 20 (out of 40) as of yet. Thus, could you pls advise which further steps shall I take to overcome this challenge?

Tnx, Anwar