my IELTS experience (band 8.5 overall)

Discussion in 'IELTS Forum' started by rhonda., Sep 24, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:18 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks indica! I'm sure I wouldn't be able to do it without the help of this forum.
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:33 am Post subject: IELTS ASPIRANT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hiya!
    i am an ielts aspirant. i have to take my exam on 7 july. i know thats too far from now! but as you all have mentioned that practice is the key word, i started from today only. was passing through this forum and esp. this message thread. must commend gud job guys who have scored so nicely, and also those, who have provided umpteen experiences to help other spare the falls. thanx for such helpful words, will help me too i am sure. am in manchester too, so i dont think will have difficulty in speaking or listening as i have been interacting with people living here for some time now. but now since i have been out of creative writing since few years, i need practice on that and then on reading parts.
    now can any one inform me about new free listening sample tests links on the internet. this section requires a good deal of concentration (i have practised a few samples today).
    thanx and regards,
    silly[/list][/code]
  3. Koshi's friend

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:36 pm Post subject:

Hey gud guys why didn't start early to study more for IELTS. I think u will not be able to get a high score. Your score may be somewhere between 4-5 band score. Try hard except otherwise u will get the score which i mentioned here.
  4. bennett

bennett Guest

bennett

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:17 pm Post subject: Help! I can't get a good score for writing

Hi everyone,

I already took the IELTS 3x and my band score for writing has been consistently 6.0. I need help.

Unfortunately, I was not able to prepare for the exams since I've been busy.

Can anybody help me how can I get a band score of 7.0?

I'm very sad about my score in writing. My IELTS has been keeping me from leaving my country for further training abroad.

Thanks!
  5. bennett's friend

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:38 pm Post subject:

Hi bennett,

To be honest, We, those who already took IELTS, don't know how the writing sections actually scored. I think the measurement procedure is qualitative not quantative. Let's explain what those two words 'qualitative' and 'quantative' mean. Qualitative means it depends on examiner attitude toward marking and quantative the same which I mentioned. Those who are in need of high score for study abroad they usually get a low score but sometimes even some lehman can get a good score in writing.

I took 2x IELTS and first time I got 5.5 in writing and became really worried but in the mean time I took 2nd time and got 8.0 when actually I didn't need that score. I think the writing part should be comuterized where no human command has full access to measure. Wish you good luck for the 4th time. Work hard and write your experience when you get time in this blog. I may help you more.
  6. Dr Kumara

Dr Kumara Guest

Dr Kumara

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:18 am Post subject: Unfair and unjust

I did my IELTS in Sri Lanka Kandy on 14th of April, on the day of the examination they changed the order of the modules, We had to do the reading test first! then the writing and lastly the listening test. This totally disorganized me and i couldn't do well in any of the component. i had band 6for my reading! don't you think it's unfair to trick the candidate on the day of the examination?
  7. To Dr. Kumara

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:45 pm Post subject:

Hi, there, nice to hear from you after long days back. Could you remeber those days when we, along with sundeva, prepared for the IELTS and god, we had pretty good experiences to get to know more about English grammar.

I think, not only me but those who had a friend like you, certainly have tons to memorize. Don't stop ..........come ahead and write down your experiences.
  8. Neverlander

Neverlander Guest

Neverlander

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:52 pm Post subject: Tomorrow is my " make it or break it" day!

Assalamo alaikom every one,
    Tomorrow i am going to take my secound IELTS test, i have took the test before in 2001 in Victoria College, NZ, and i got 6 over all after studying for only 5 weeks.
    I am hoping for 7 over all for tomorrow,s exam,and i am a "self study student".It,s not only important for me to get 7 for my future,yet the thing holds much of self pride.i believe i am good at English,yet some how i dont think the IELTS test reflects your thorough ability of the language.
    Anyway,you who ever reads this,, just wish me luck, for i realy need it.

regards.
  9. IELTS BD

IELTS BD Guest

IELTS BD

Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:36 pm Post subject:

To Neverlandar,

Walaikum Salam. Seems you are ripen, i.e. already a smart frog for IELTS. Why don't you get a high score in IELTS. Its easy and importance should be made more on reading part. Listening, hummm... sometimes tricky, but seems me easy.

By the by, I bet band score 7 and 8 doesn't matter much for study, if you are not a language learner.

Hurrh, I took IELTS one time and got 7.5, but my TOEFL score was only 580.
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:21 am Post subject:

I really appreciate it
  11. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:22 am Post subject:

Since I will be taking IELTS courses, I would like to know more about how to go about it. Should one begin with grammar first ???

Gyaltsen.
  12. uumeme.

uumeme. Guest

uumeme
    AIPPG Fresher

131 Credits

Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:55 pm Post subject: really happy!!!!!

hi all,
    i got my scores last week...they were 8.5/8.5/7/8 with the overall band of 8.

i am happy that i got these scores as i was very worried.... it was my first attempt.

i want to thank you all on this forum for helping me out in acheiving my target score and wish u all the best of luck!
  13. wax.

wax. Guest

wax
    AIPPG Fresher

202 Credits

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:10 am Post subject:

Great You guys. I did it Last week,too.
  14. imgman.

imgman. Guest

imgman
    AIPPG Fresher

132 Credits

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:27 pm Post subject:

Hi Guys !

I`m just a tyro here and reading the posts I have really missed a lot!
    I took it on 12th May and I got 8/8.5/7/8 and overal :8

I have studied the ILETS Action planby cambridge and done ILElst cambridge 5 practice tests and it did realy helped me to get how to perform in the exam !

Wish you all success!
  15. studious

studious Guest

studious

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:57 pm Post subject: IELTS Forum

sounda interesting. The Anglicists is a stylish name for that matter!
  16. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:57 pm Post subject: ihave a hearing problem

Hi All,
    going through his post i realized that winning over IELTS is not that difficult provided you prepare well for it. But i have a problem. I have a hearing disability and still want to clear the IELTS exam on all four topics and with flying colors. I am good at english, reading,writing,speaking, but because i am afraid i may not be able to listen properly to the listening post and since its a long recording and played only once i guess i am afraid.
    Please assist, i would be grateful.
  17. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:06 am Post subject:

you can mark your disabilities on ielts application form. they promise to provide you appropriate amenities
  18. anna, chandigarh

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:51 pm Post subject: standard of ielts

its sad to find that test centreat chandigarh that also provides coaching for ielts in chandigarh gives every opportunity to its own students to cheat. So where lies the credibility of such tests?
  19. Ian P

Ian P Guest

Ian P

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:33 pm Post subject:

Hi Anna,

I've just had a look at the IELTS site and it shows two IELTS Test Centres in Chandigarh. Are you talking about the British Council or IDP: IELTS Australia & Planet Edu Test Centre?

I have my own misgivings about the credibility of the IELTS test and would be interested to know more about this.

Ian
  20. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:12 pm Post subject: IELTS Study material

Can you share with me the IELTS study material you used to prepare and useful links for preparation of IELTS
  21. taher.

taher. Guest

taher

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:37 pm Post subject: karmaguy64

I really appreciate you for the website which you kindly posted for us i.e, those who badly need of getting high score. I had seen a dozens of website relating to IELTS preparation kit but to be honest this site seems me very helpful. I wish I could get high score like 8band score................go ahead everybody and challenge the world
  22. Mads.

Mads. Guest

Mads

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:24 am Post subject: IELTS Score

I took the exam on 18th August. I do not think lot of practice is required unless you are gunning for overall score of 8.5 or 9

Listening - 7.5
    Reading - 9
    Writing - 7
    Speaking - 8.5
    Overall - 8

I screwed up listening. Surprising, it was the easiest section but for few minutes I lost my concentration during the exam and wrote few answers based on guesswork.
    Reading is easy and needs good concentration to score high.
    Wrote good essays but I guess standards of evaluation are high in UK. Plus I have bad hand-writing. Wonder, if that was the reason.
    Speaking- Take it easy. Be relaxed and yourself.
  23. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:12 pm Post subject:

how u ppl scored upto 8?really its v strange for me ,coz i m here in belgium,& tried IELTS 2 times,& studied like professional exams but even than my band was 7 in speaking,7.5 in listening ,6 in both reading & writing,overall 6.5,& i require overall 7 with 7 in speaking,& i think my english z not that much bad ,now i m appearing 3rd time on 22nd sep,pray for me & give me some new suggestions
  24. Erik.

Erik. Guest

Erik

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:18 pm Post subject: To cram or not to cram?

Greetings from Sweden!

I just received my score report, and was pleasantly surprised to find that I scored an overall 9. The reading and listening sections were - in my opinion - very simple, but the writing task was far more demanding.

I did not prepare beforehand (I barely knew what the different sections were called), but in hindsight I probably should have, as I had some problems with the writing, and I only scored an 8 in this section. I finished the first part pretty quickly, and was quite happy with my terse response (I'm usually very wordy), but then I counted the words and started panicking. I had only written about 100 (out of the specified 150), so I had to restructure and begin anew. By the time I had finisihed it, I had only about 20 minutes left for the essay part.

As for the speaking section, I was very nervous but tried to put on an act by being more flamboyant than I usually am, shooting out the answers (and looking quite ridiculous in the process, I would say). I thought that hesitation would be penalized, but surely you must be allowed the occasional "eh...".

I wish you all the best of luck!
  25. Erik's friend

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:30 pm Post subject: Dear Erik

Sounds very good that you scored 9 band score. Actually, we,those who will take and already took the exam, don't know very clearly how the writing and speaking sections actually measured. On the other hand, sometimes its really difficult to understand whether there is nay discrimination to have good score like 8-9 band. I simply ask you those who already achieved you dream score . Eventually, I am ashamed to let all of you that ...................however, wishing to take again with full vigor and great en devour.
  26. jsarwar.

jsarwar. Guest

jsarwar
    AIPPG Senior Member

2346 Credits

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:42 am Post subject: IELTS

I got some experiences while I sat for this exam.
    found a lot of boys and girls with pretty fashionable dresses and fancy accent, and while waiting for the exam started talking to some of them.and to tell you frankly neither I am that fancy in English accent nor I am over the Vogue....you know what I mean!
    but I was always good at listening and writing.
    Got my result...it was 8.5
    and those who seem good apparently got 7 or 6.5.....and thats the way you should'nt go (smile)
  27. starkanika.

starkanika. Guest

starkanika
    AIPPG Fresher

281 Credits

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:18 pm Post subject:

hi friends i m also preparing for ielts and i want to give it in december,so plzz give me ur guidance ......
    thxxx

Akash Miah. Guest

Akash Miah

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:21 pm Post subject: Dear Konika Mishra

Cordially I welcome you in this blog, specially IELTS score seeker. No matter when and how should you start your preparation, but a regular practice and surfing this blog may help you to raise your score I personally believe. Getting high score is not so difficult as we thing but to accountable. Most of books, published as well as online, frequently say one word about IELTS 'Time is enemy'. Yes, I also believe so. As I took IELTS and achieved 8 band, appreciate my attitude toward time consciousness. Hummh, though I am conscious enough but reading part was really tricky. In my opinion skipping is greatly acknowledged. Good luck.........
  29. Hi JSarwar.

Hi JSarwar. Guest

Hi JSarwar

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:14 pm Post subject: Thanks

Thanks to share your experience of getting pretty good score at IELTS. I personally appreciate your achievement in which you did a great job. On the other hand, thanking cordially for your response to my previous post.

30. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:20 am Post subject:

Hi folks!
    I'm scheduled on 03, NOV for GT IELTS test.
    Actually, I'm Ukrainian pilot, just received the job proposition from strong Australian air company. So, it is just a few days for preparation. I've been requested to reach 6.5 score at general training. In this case, Australians are ready to hire me immideatelly. The pressing problem is a time. What to do? How to use this time to get prepared? Most difficult thing is that I've spent a lot of the years abroad flying with UN and my English language practice have been spoiled by my UN friends, who came to UN from the different countries, some time speaking like a ...
    Matter is, that in British Council, Odessa, Ukraine I have been given with some books, but it is not anough. Any advise would be highly appreciated.
    My email for any chance:
    afrline@yahoo.com
    Best regards,
    capt. Oleg Chumachenko
    UN mission, Juba, Sudan,
  31. spring.

spring. Guest

spring

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:37 pm Post subject: express tips

I am taking IELTS test on Nov.17,2007.Wish me luck guys.
    Any quick tip , please..
  32. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:54 pm Post subject:

Hi rhonda i want to know how score should be given ,v have 40 questions in 4 modules na how the score is calculating means if u get 25 out of 40 how much band should be come pls tell me clearly for how many marks in each module scores give me from least to high
  33. Guest

Guest Guest

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:31 pm Post subject:

ur. i am a student and i want take ielts
    hitherto i know a little about it
    who could help me ??
    thanks a lot lot lot !!!
  34. Aref Al-Abed

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:22 pm Post subject: you will do it every one....

Hello every body....
    l have done an IELTS exam in Aug 2004, but unfortunatly l got 5.5 bad score l think, Actually l didnt prepair very well for it.
    English Language is my third Language, l speak Arabic and Russian.
    l belive that l need to improve my English Skills before preparing for the IELTS exam again, so l wish a help from u every body, l want u to guide me to improve my skills, by recommended Books, Web sites and any thing else.....
    l will be very thankfull lf u send to my E-Mail: dr.aref.alabed@gmail.com
    Thank's alot for all of u in this great site...
  35. aning.

aning. Guest

aning
    AIPPG Fresher

176 Credits

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:33 pm Post subject:

hi! i'm planning to take IELTS on january but i haven't started studying yet. it's just a week ago when i decided to go to new zealand and take a computer course there. but our consultant suggested me to take the IELTS exam first because it is one of the requirements in NZ school. i am also planning to take a review program this coming january 3, but it will take only 4 days i think, then the IELTS is jan. 5,6,12,13,20, etc... what do you think? do i have to rush and take the exam on january, or take some more time to prepare for the IELTS? pls help me.. i've also downloaded the cambridge's ielts guidebooks. thanks a lot buddies!!!!
  36. Guest

Guest Guest

Passed IELTS with band score 8!!!!!!!

Passed IELTS with band score 8!!!!!!!

Hi guys
    I passed IELTS with band score 8(listening 9,reading 8.5.writing 7.5 and speaking 7).
    Anyone is free to ask anything about preparation for IELTS .I will be glad to be of some help.
    Cheers
  37. Guest

Guest Guest

My congratulations changsu !

I am planning to do IELTS on 13th of December. I am writing one essay and do some reading exercises per day . It is enough for getting 6.0 ? What do you think ?
  38. Guest

Guest Guest

My congratulations changsu !

I am planning to do IELTS on 13th of December. I am writing one essay and do some reading exercises per day . Is it enough for getting 6.0 ? What do you think ?
  39. Guest

Guest Guest

Congratulations!!!

I am going to take IELTS in 18-th of April, 2009.
    What is the most important things in the productive part of IELTS, I mean in speaking and writing sections.

I am doing 1 task 1 and one task 2 per day.
    I need at least 7.5, what will be useful to know. I appreciate it if you could help me.
  40. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi everybody. In the end I got an 8.0! With my village background and traditional upbringing, I never dreamed such a band.

I agree that practice makes you perfect. But, the challenge with all these training materials is that they are too boring and monotonous. You need a high degree of motivation to continue practicing after a hard day's work.

Aprat from the traditional trainig materials, two products which helped me to great extend and helped me to keep going are Espoir's Smarten Your English through Success Secrets and Smarten Your English through Love & Romance. These products help you to develop high degree of listening, reading and writing skills. With these three it supports to develop your speaking skills. The second one is little naughty and the first one is little preachy, but both will invite you back to the lessons.

My advice to everyone is that never stick to the conventional materials alone. Those won't help you in the end.
  41. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi doctor_arpita and congratulations.

I was wondering if you could help me to find the materials which you mentioned above.

Is it TV programs or smth must be read
  42. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi doctor_arpita and congratulations.

I was wondering if you could help me to find the materials which you mentioned above.

Is it TV programs or smth must be read?
  43. Guest

Guest Guest

I am new to this forum. I am planning to take the IELTS academic at chennai in the next 2 months. Can anyone guide me about this . Also how to go ahead with the websites and down load the material as Rhonda has mentioned. Am impressed with Rhonda and indica too. i am too weak in writing

please guide me rosy any good ielts training center at chennai

rosy
  44. Guest

Guest Guest

all info needed

i jst want go get 8 bands or higher in ielts and have a prep time not more than 1 month
    cd any1 help me out
    i really hav 2 start frm scratch need info about bst books n tips needed 2 achieve dat band score :cry:
  45. Guest

Guest Guest

IELTS Result

Today I got my IELTS result. My overall score is 7.5 (L 8.5, R 8.0, W 7.0, S 6.5).

For speaking I may have to give IELTS again, since I require 7 in each.