my ielts experience!!

Discussion in 'IELTS Forum' started by Guest, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

well i just took my ielts exam on 7th march and had my speaking test today!!still waiting for result and keeping my fingers crossed 8)
    I took the academic module..in my opnion it wasn't hard..though i did go through insight into ielts,insight into ielts extra and did 6 practice books as well!!and trust me me it just takes 3 weeks to go through all of those..
    i'd 1st focus on the tasks which i found tough..i thought the listening part was easy!!u just need to understand the questions and pay more attention ..and thats it!!
    i found reading comparatively harder!!not that reading was tough but the questions in which u have mark them as true,false or not given are tricky..as well as suitable headings for the paragraph.what i did was just read the para skim through the headings..and it's usually the 1st or last line that corresponds to the heading.as far as the true false statements are concerned they are given in the same order as they are in the passage..so it's imp that you skim through questions 1st so that while reading the passage u know where to look for the true ,false statement!!other than this the one/3 words fill in the blanks aren't tricky...just find the para in passage ..and understand it so that u know which word fits there appropriately..
    i didn't do much practice for writing..though i did check how to describe the trends etc..and also the model answers given at the end of each practice book...though i did try to practice them orally before going through the model answer :D the task 2 is more about ur understanding of the essay and ideas..and i guess there's enough guidance about it in other posts!!!
    hmm i thought my speaking was ok so i just gave a look at the general questions they ask or abt the discussion topic etc...
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

my exam questions!!

the listening portion was easy!!reading was ok though i found the 3rd passage a bit harder..
    in writing task 1 i had a bar graph showing the vehicle production rate in hours per day by 4 leading car companies in US over a span of four years.
    writing task 2 was about ..the countries now a days promote the trend that teenagers students should work part time in companies for sometime.describe it's advantages to teenager students and the companies.
    speaking.1st i had the basic introduction,then abt my working status..either a student or doing a job.asked me about if giving gifts or presents a culture in my country.if yes which are the occasions?have i ever made a present myself?and couple of other questions..and yeah if i liked reading newspapers?if yes which sort of medium i use?what sort of news attracts me?what are the trends now among the younger generation related to news reading?
    then the cue card was about describe any success in life about which u r proud of?and u have to speak for 2 minutes nothing less than that coz examiner did give me these hand signals to speak more lolz...
    then why is my career imp to me?is it hard?how would u compare it wth others?has modern technology effected it and in which way?r machines used in it n their role??how do u describe success ?and compare it with the coming years??phew thats all i remember..
    so i guess this might help!!and wish me luck for my ielts band..hehehe
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

hi,
    Could u throw me some lights on some online material..
    i dnt hv much materials.. could u send me some..

regards,
    ram
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

hey,
    well to be honest i didnt do any online materail though i'd recommend the speaking questions that are compiled, heres at the ielts forum..they are very useful!!rest i had insight into ielts,insight into ielts extra and 6 practice test books!!!!
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

well i just got my ielts reuslt unofficially got an overall band 8!! :) cant wait to know abt the indiviual modules score!!
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

got my ielts score today!!got a 9 in reading,8.5 listening,7.5 writing and 7 speaking 8) best of luck to everyone who r going to take ielts test soon!!
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

my ielts experience,march 21,2009

AIPPG Fresher

154 Credits
    [ Donate ]
    [ Modify soneyah's Cash ]

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:00 am Post subject: my ielts experience,march 21,2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello colleagues,
    as we embark in the same ship,so for goodness sake i want to tell you about my IELTS Academic exam,it started with listening,which included detail of arranging party plus hotel accomodation,also details of Child Assessment Survey.
    In reading,passage 1 was about time seekers,passage 2,tidal power and passage3 NASA probe,how it conducted messges and about the scientist,
    literally,it was easy but very time taking,i mean as if the amount of words were more than we usually practice.
    In writing,task 1 was bar chart describing trends of 4sports in Europe between 1985 to 2005.
    Task2 was,some people says that cultural traditions are destroyes when money-making attractions from tourists and some says it is good
    support in both views,
    Believe it or not,i could hardly write 250 words,maybe because i was not prepared in the topic,
    but dear colleagues do prepare on this topic
    because it was even asked in the speaking test...ahhhh
    speaking test also included the details of visiting a museum

anyways,if i could help anybody out there then most welcome and need prayers for scoring an appropriate band so that i am eligible for plab.
    Ironically,this is sad that apart from our studies in english medium,we are stuck in just one english language test....ahhh
    best of luck to all of you
    regards dr.sonee
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

soneyah
    AIPPG Fresher

154 Credits
    [ Modify soneyah's Cash ]

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:00 am Post subject: my ielts experience,march 21,2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello colleagues,
    as we embark in the same ship,so for goodness sake i want to tell you about my IELTS Academic exam,it started with listening,which included detail of arranging party plus hotel accomodation,also details of Child Assessment Survey.
    In reading,passage 1 was about time seekers,passage 2,tidal power and passage3 NASA probe,how it conducted messges and about the scientist,
    literally,it was easy but very time taking,i mean as if the amount of words were more than we usually practice.
    In writing,task 1 was bar chart describing trends of 4sports in Europe between 1985 to 2005.
    Task2 was,some people says that cultural traditions are destroyes when money-making attractions from tourists and some says it is good
    support in both views,
    Believe it or not,i could hardly write 250 words,maybe because i was not prepared in the topic,
    but dear colleagues do prepare on this topic
    because it was even asked in the speaking test...ahhhh
    speaking test also included the details of visiting a museum

anyways,if i could help anybody out there then most welcome and need prayers for scoring an appropriate band so that i am eligible for plab.
    Ironically,this is sad that apart from our studies in english medium,we are stuck in just one english language test....ahhh
    best of luck to all of you
    regards dr.sonee

charu4
    AIPPG Fresher

138 Credits
    [ Modify charu4's Cash ]

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:10 am Post subject: MY IELTS EXPERIENCE ON 21ST MARCH -- I TOOK EXAM IN LISBON

I AGREE WITH THE POSTING OF ''SONEYAH'' I WAS ASKED EXACTLY THE SAME QUESTIONS ---it was so alike......I also took the ielts exam on 21st march in lisbon (portugal).

I agree with her also for the reading passages , they were too complicated, too lengthy and time consuming...i

Could not manage my time properly in the reading section, did lot of guess work in the end...rest all sections were fine for me :)
    i hope i score the minimum required score for my Australia Visa ie 6.0

Is the exam question paper same for the IELTS exam all over the world same on a particular day..i thought it varies from place to place and country to country :)

cheers charu
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

advices please

hi! I'm going to take the ielts maybe this last week of april or first week of may. I need suggestions if i will take the ielts on the date that I have mentioned. I have been reviewing academic ielts for 3 months but I can see no improvements on my score. I'm using cambrigde ielts 1 to 6 and some other practices. In listening and reading module my scores always ranged from 27-32. my friend is the one who checks my writing tasks since i didn't enroll in review center. About speaking i just to do it by myself. I need to get 7 band score do you think i can make it. Please i need your advices. Thanks.
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

well what i would suggest is give it when u feel like to..n i guess even if u give it in late april there wouldnt be much diff...coz afterall the scores u check with cambridge practise tests arent the original ones..though original test is pretty close to the pettern and on test day ur only sure abt ur listening band...u just have to b confident ...n do practise listening wth someone else like atleast ur time limits..coz they expect u to speak for 2 or more minutes on a topic....abt reading u cant b certain...but then cambridge practise tests just help to build ur confidence.....best of luck
  11. Guest

Guest Guest

hi i gave my ielts exam on 25th of april in london....
    my experience was gud and the listening was okay ,reading was okay too with the third passage lil time consuming .
    for the writting part task 1 hab two bargraphs , one showing the population growth in England and Wales. The other bargraph showed the decrease in death and birth rates.

Task 2 was should internationle news be taught to secondary school students as a study sublect. what r the benefits and drawbacks .what is ur opinion.

speaking was interesting , the examiner asked me many questions about museums and cooking and the cue card was any live performance that i have seen and remembered.

waiting for my results ...fingers crossed
  12. Guest

Guest Guest

IELTS GT completed

Hi,

I have sucessfully completed IELTS GT module yesterday. I got the following topics in all L, R & W.

L - fill up some library application form.. forgot other tasks

R - Australia's gold fossickers story,ect..

W - Task 1 - Write a letter to not to demolish the library in you area and construct a supermarket

T2 - ready to eat foods are not good for health.

Speaking - taffic jams

I did first three modules well, but i was little nurvous and didnot done the speaking test well. i have done some grammatical mistakes about 5 times while i was speaking, but i covered all the questions on the sheet, i didnot even ask about the examiner's suggestion while in the 2 way discussion. i also answered in one word sometimes and stuggled somewhere.

Could someone tell me how much i will score in speaking module based on the info that i given above??
  13. Guest

Guest Guest

hi i got my results 7.5 overall band
    listening - 8.5
    reading - 7.5
    writing - 7.0
    speaking -7.5

dear shankar ..cant say abt ur speaking exactly as here in london the examiners r native speakers and demand better speaking skills though they dont look for exact english accent...
    may be u score 6.5 - 7.0
    best of luck...
  14. Guest

Guest Guest

my experience

i just had my ielts exam last week. I'm afraid for the results cause i ended up guessing in listening and reading module. I'm so disappointed after the exams cause it was really hard especially the reading.

in listening exam, the style was similar in Cambridge practise book even the accent it's just the same. But i still skept some items cause i lost concentration on the last part.
    My advice is practice a lot and use cambrigde 1 to 6. During the exam just look the questionnaire and follow the recordings very carefully.

Reading was very hard. I was pressured by the time so i just guessed some items.
    Tips: While reading the passage try to answer the questions so you'll save time.

My writing task was bar graph about leisure activities. The task 2 is about studying style of students.

Speaking, the examiner just asked basic information about myself such as my work, family, friends, and hometown. the conversation just revolved on those topics. I paused for several times cause i run out of words.

I'm so worried about the results cause i find it very hard. I'm not confident with my answers. I'm hoping that i pass it. i was really sad after the exam.
  15. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,

I took my IELTS exam on 25 april in London too.And awasthrichia I think we sat the same exam in University of Westminster coz my topics in wiriting were same as yours.I found listening very easy ( so easy that I lost my concentration couple of times in the middle and missed two questions :(... ) But reading was quite difficult and I ran out of time and had to guess.Wrting was good and in speaking my main topic was my fav film.

I got my results this Saturday.My overall band is 7 with 8 in listening,6.5 in reading and 7 in both writing and speaking.You guys would be surprised to know that this was my fourth attempt.I had taken this test three times before and everytime I got overall 7 with decent band in every module except speaking in which I got 6.5 every time.And as you know minimum requirement for PLAB is 7 in speaking.I can't explain how frustrated I was becoz of this.But now I am happy as I have passed. No more dumb IELTS.

Well you did superb in your test awasthrichia.And patrisse don't get upset.Just pray.When I gave my IELTS for the first time I ran out of time in reading too and I guessed more than 15 questions blindly and later I got 8 in that module.About speaking dont worry if you stopped for a while.They emphasize more on grammer and fluency.
    Best of luck.
  16. Guest

Guest Guest

hello friends... i was reading all your posts as i am sitting my ielts on may 16th!!! so im pretty nervous about it.. well thank u for all your advice and ideas..hope everything works out.. :oops:
  17. Guest

Guest Guest

hey all,

Finally got result today, here is my score...

Listening 6.5
    Reading 5.5
    Writing 7.5
    Speaking 5.5
    Overall Band 6.5

lololol...
  18. Guest

Guest Guest

i just also got the results of exam. Unlike most of you i'm very disappointed about my score.

I got 7 in listening
    5.5 in reading
    6 in writing and speaking.

I know i gave my best. I studied very well for couple of months. I don't know what went wrong in speaking task. I'm scared to take the ielts again.
  19. Guest

Guest Guest

i am supposed to be sitting the exam on 30th of this month... its a requirement for the PhD i am applying for...

i'm just wondering after reading all your posts... whether we have to do vigorous studies before we sit the exams... asking cause i just thought about going through some papers... and checked online... which lead me here... :thinking: :roll:
  20. Guest

Guest Guest

i gave my test yesterday.. listening and reading was ok.. hoping to get band 7... but writing i messed up.. i had to talk abt people living over the age 100. but instead i talked abt ageing population... i am really hoping to get band 7 in tht.. my speaking is tomorrow and i am pretty nervous
  21. Guest

Guest Guest

waiting for the results...

i did the listening, reading, writing papers on 30th of may... and the speaking paper on 01st of june

i should say i did well in all the papers... i am quite confident for a score over 8

out of the four papers i would say... reading was the most challenging and speaking was the easiest...

for anybody who is going to do their ielts... my advice would be to focus more on the reading paper... one hour and three comprehensions... the difficulty level ascending order... when there are three comprehensions in one hour we would usually divide the time equally... so its like 20mins for each comprehension... but i would suggest to spend as less time on the first one... little more and the second and most of the time for the third... i was able to find the answers to the first comprehension just by skimming through the comprehension...

the other papers are very easy...

regards and best wishes to all
  22. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi can you tell me if i can write the writing tasks with pencil or only with pen? :roll:
  23. Guest

Guest Guest

u can attempt the writing task in either pen or pencil ..i gave mine with pencil coz u can easily rub the stuff and it doesnt look messy!!