PACES preparation Feb 1/2011

Discussion in 'MRCP Forum' started by mannyl, Aug 27, 2010.

1. mannyl

mannyl Guest

Hi all, Plz start to share your preparation.
  2. giroop2003

giroop2003 Guest

Mannyl you are very fast,

Thanks for opening new thread,

Hope all of our guys come here, Hope to see many more guys and many more discussion and encouragements
  3. giroop2003

giroop2003 Guest

Hi Mannyl

Can I know which part of the world,

Do you have any plans to attend course in Kerala, India, It seems its quite good
  4. Hi guys...
    Well I ve already applied for Nov but told tht the centre of chennai is full

so i'm all in for feb session...
  5. giroop2003

giroop2003 Guest

Hope some one go thru important the previous forums, and shares their understanding about, from wer to start, how to proceed, wat are the study materials.

I heard Pastest is ok but it is only beside the clinical discussion, presentation with attending courses and they are going to reduce price soon.
  6. mannyl

mannyl Guest

Hi guys, good to see u again.
    Giroop, i m appearing in the UK.
    I have gone through some discussions. Pastest online is pretty important again.
    I will copy some discussions later on.
  7. giroop2003

giroop2003 Guest

Good Ohh Lala,

You have done right thing,

You will surely get next time,

Can I know wen did you applied
  8. mannyl

mannyl Guest

Credits to User Name.....Socrates

In the Hammersmith course (England) they gave some hints about books. I passed my PACES 2010/2 exam: And I have read every book in the market.

But there were really useless books, time consuming books with no great benefit. And there were the really effective books.

Useless books that will waste your time.

1- Tim Hall (alot of pathophysiology chitchat that you won't be asked about during the exam. Even if you are.. it's not worth it.
    2- Oxford Handbook of Clin Medicine. This book might seem small.. but it's actually full of knowledge if you spread it out. It's much better if you read Kumar & Clark or Davidson.
    3- 250 Cases for MRCP. Baliga.. tooo long.. many many additional unrealistic cases that will result in distracting your attention. These cases surely won't be in the exam. It has a very poor format, no pictures or tables or stress points. Many people consider this book valuable but probably because they didn't read other good books.

IMPORTANT BOOKS
    -----------------------

1- An aid to the MRCP Paces, Ryder Vol I: The most important for clinical cases. It cannot be outdated as some people claim as the clinical skills that the RCP require have been and will stay the same and cannot be limited by time!! The setback of this book is that it doesn't match the new station 5 format. However all the cases are stated.
    Vol II of this the book, involved for the talking stations, is of course the outdated book.

2- MRCP Paces Ethics And Communication Skills, Iqbal Khan: The most important book for station 4. DO NOT enter the PACES exam without learning this book by heart.

3- OST: Clinical Medicine for the MRCP Paces: Core Clinical Skills by Mehta & Iqbal A very brief book (150 pages) for the basics for the PACES exam. This book benefited me most in the revision on the NIGHT BEFORE. This book is published by Oxford Press, an extension of the very effective Oxford Handbook series.

4- Medical Cases for MRCP Paces Pack by Mehta & Iqbal: The detailed explanation of PACES by Oxford University Press. Very good and tells you exactly what the examiners are looking for during your clinical approach to the patient and the required medical knowledge. But it is very long. This book will help you with HOW TO PRESENT YOUR CASE!

5- The Illustrated MRCP PACES Primer by Sebastian Zeki: Candidates must have the capacity to recall knowledge immediately & identifying possibilities, to make a correct diagnosis. This book is in pictorial format, to facilitate quick recall with both visual and verbal mnemonics. It outlines only the details essential to diagnosis and treatment. So it is a concise & refreshing approach to tackling the vast number of topics required.[/b]

6- PassPACES ebook is also good to demonstrate to you the mistakes that people have done previously in actual PACES exams.
  9. giroop2003

giroop2003 Guest

Hi Mannyl Thanks for the information
  10. anxious

anxious Guest

the key of pass at paces is practice, practice and practice
    At exam easily can figure who practising at reality and who only read to practise
  11. mannyl

mannyl Guest

Credits to Elsa_ned. (Aug 2010 post)

it took me around 30 months to prepare and finish the whole MRCP thing. PACES specially took alot of time (12 months of preparation). It's the most difficult step, as it has nothing to do with the usual student2book link that we're all used to.

I read many books. Concerning PACES, I memorized Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine by heart & also some chapters from Oxford Clinical Specialities (Ophthalmo & Derma). This book benefited me alot not only for PACES, but also in my overall medical career.
    Ryder & Baliga aren't good at all in my opinion. One is too long and the other is outdated. Both don't mention anything about the new brief medical consultation scenario which is nearly 30% of the exam!!! So you tell me, are they worth it?

Tim Hall's new edition was of great help, but take care not to read the excessive details. My history case in the exam was osteoporosis and I answered it all from that book and got the full mark. Kelly's series Success in Paces was also great as it has a detailed description of what to expect in the exam. The statistics in that book are very accurate. Plz take a look at it and I'm sure you'll finish it!

I took my exam in London, where I took the Hammersmith courses. In my opinion, your level is 50% improved after the UK courses. They make you understand what's really this exam is about. Read my previous posts.
  12. mannyl

mannyl Guest

Credits to Hossamdeeb. (July2010)

DEAR FRIEND,
    ALL WHAT I SAID APPLIES ALSO TO THE PEOPLE GOING FOR PACES OUTSIDE EGYPT
    4 MONTHSOF PREPARATION IF JUST AFTER YOUR WRITTEN EXAM,WITH GOOD CASES IN YOUR HOSPITAL ,WITH ONLINE COURSE , READING FOR 4 HOURS DAILY,THEN DR. RAMADAN COURSE I THINK WILL BE ENOUGH
    I FAILED THE 1ST TIME MAINLY DUE TO DEFECT IN CARDIOLOGY AND COMMUNICATION, BECAUSE I DIDN'T DIAGNOSE THE CARDIOLOGY CASE.
    I WISH YOU ALL GOOD LUCK
  13. mannyl

mannyl Guest

Credits to new MRCPian (july2010)

It takes around 6 months to really prepare for paces. by the time u warm up and are in the right direction 2 months would have gone. i appeared initially without full preparation and took my chance. the result was disastrous. u will loose the confidence also. get adviced by other mrcp goers and train with them seeing cases. get supervised by a mrcp oriented senior colleague. the cases in the courses are almost the same as the real paces and in fact the paces cases are easier. it is the time and the tension that kill us.

it is just a question of reading and familiarising the cases and scenarios and not to try and mug up. the worst mistake is to say a finding not present and u sure fail. if u miss a finding and the rest of the exam technique is good they will give another chance to examine.
    Books- An aid to mrcp vol 1 and 2 by Ryder, Baliga, tim hall, stephen hoole and khan. u cannot be thorough with all. just read them and mark what is good for u in each so that you take less time for second reading.
    but the key is to practice with colleagues seeing cases and scenarios. always try to time yourself and try and get a tough senior to supervise u towards the last couple of months.
  14. anxious

anxious Guest

For those who plan to attend egypt center: i knew from egyptian doctors that practise level near average but try to cover most cases which appear during courses at egypt as same cases(and patient) appear at exam which is unfair compare to other centers where you see cases for first time
  15. Tanareef

Tanareef Guest

@ anxious

I do not agree with courses in egypt.. they are all trying to milk you of your money and in the end you don't benefit a lot.
    But if you insist then the best instructor is Dr Yahia Fikky
  16. giroop2003

giroop2003 Guest

Hi Guys,

I am still more confused about study material for paces

Schleswig Holstei
    Forget Ryder for Stations 2, 4 and 5. This is the only guide you'll need to pass the entire PACES exam, the final frontier of the current MRCP(UK) exam.
    "Revision Notes for MRCP 2 PACES"
    check at amazon.

I am looking for some simple 1 or 2 books, that covers all the stations with Pastest and courses.

Guys Please suggest If any body is having good idea
  17. mannyl

mannyl Guest

I ve got Ryder one, two and Baliga at the moment.

thinking to start with examination.
    will post later on.

How you guys think?
  18. Dr.House

Dr.House Guest

salam

mannyl
    giroope
    ooh lala

and all other

thanx to mannyl for the thread and effort in getting info

i am having similar controversial veiws...

some say
    ryder mir
    baliga
    tim hall
    kumar

just enough
    others say the other way round

gonna call my senior in UK who has just cleared PACES to know his sincere views and will share them

but views are varying alot from person to person...
  19. Dr.House

Dr.House Guest

i have got my examination partner alhamdulillah with me at hospital

am thinking to start examination daily regularly....
    abt reading an examination book... have u guys any idea...

with me
    i only have baliga now...
    am gonna order online at amazon for following

ryder mir
    tim hall

plz if any better suggestions be kind enough to share

giroop abt pastest course have u taken subscription...
    and cud u plz share how much imp it is by seeing the material..
  20. Dr.House

Dr.House Guest

how much can we read in such short time...

peopl recomending everything

1. kumar
    2. oxford handbook
    3. ryder mir
    4. tim hall
    5. baliga
    6. The Illustrated MRCP PACES Primer (Masterpass)
    7. OST: Clinical Medicine for the MRCP PACES
    Volume 1: Core Clinical Skills ( where is its volume 2 ??)
    8. MRCP Paces Ethics and Communication Skills (Master Pass)

online pastest course

i am still confused
  21. anxious

anxious Guest

To tanareef: what about dr. Ramadan?
  22. giroop2003

giroop2003 Guest

Hi Dr.House,

Congratulation and wel come to this thread,

I just went thru their some demo PacesCases on Pastest, it looks ok, I am just waiting its price to slash from BP 299 to BP 199,

I think it is good for us for discussion,

about books, I am also searching and enquiring, hope one of us will get more information for some solid simple books and will share on this forum.
  23. Hi guys..

I got Tim Hall and Ajith Jayasekera...
    Both are good but its just too simple..i mean we already know this stuff..worst part its not dealing with Station 4 -comm. skills and ethics & Station 5 the Brief clinical consultation, the areas where m sure most students fail...
    How is Baliga, Ryder? anyone saw it?

Another thing..i called RCP few times..they got tht Scottish accent..i could barely make out what they were saying...u think tht can pose a problem during exams? as with both the patient and the examiners?
  24. giroop2003

giroop2003 Guest

Hi Guys

Its posted on June 2007

he following is the book list for the preparation of MRCP PACES (Part 2 Clinical) Examination. This list is based on the recommendations of the RxPG members who have passed their MRCP PACES exam. Must Have Books

Aid to the MRCP Paces: Volume 1
    R.E.J. Ryder, Afzal Mir, Anne Freeman

An absolute essential book while preparing for the PACES. There is an initial introduction about systematic examination of various systems and then it plunges headlong into the most common possibilities under station 1,3,5.Its does not give differentials for every station but what it mentions on the 'findings delivery' bit is pure gold!." This exam is passes on how well you can sell your findings". The various anecdotes and experiences of past candidates are excellent and a great reminder of how unpredictable this exam can be. whatever it is, it teaches you the correct things to say when faced with the typical exam patient which is something you would otherwise bump into once in 2years!]. Use it in conjuction with baliga and a good clinical course -it 'll make the exam easily passable. I did-and passed in the first attempt!.

An Aid to the MRCP Paces: Volume 2
    R.E.J. Ryder

A must have book for any candidate who is seriously preparing for the MRCP PACES .Also a life saver for someone who has a lack of time or enough UK experience to be comfortable with the system. The discussion in both the history taking and ethics section is invaluable in daily medical practice. I wish I had this book much earlier!

250 Cases in Clinical Medicine (MRCP Study Guides)
    Ragavendra R. Baliga

A collection of clinical cases arranged by clinical area, emphasising the key diagnostic features of clinical conditions as commonly presented in the short case part of the Final MB examination and the new OSCE-style exam called PACES (Practice Assessment of Clinical Examination Skills) for the MRCP examinations. Also included are likely instructions or commands expected from the examiner for each condition, and the key points which the candidate must tell the examiner.
    Can Have Books
    MRCP 2: Passing the Paces
    J. Gray

This title provides the necessary exam preparation for candidates taking the PACES. All areas of the examination are covered in subject order and examination schemes are included for all of these areas. Contains short cases Cardiovascular system, Central Nervous System, Skin, Locomotor, Eye, Endocrine examination, Respiratory and Abdominal System. Also includes sections for Station 2 (History Taking Skills and Station 4 (Communication and Ethics).

PACES for MRCP: Pt. 2
    Paul Jenkins, Philip Kelly, Thomas Powles

PACES FOR MRCP PART 2 Dr Paul Jenkins MA MD MRCP, Dr Philip Kelly MRCP £19.95 280 pages with illustrations Chapters covering all five PACES stations (Respiratory and Abdominal; History taking; Cardiovascular and Neurological; Communication Skills; Skin, Locomotor, Eyes and Endocrine). The MRCP Part 2 Oral and Clinical component was replaced by PACES (Practical Assessment of Clinical Examination Skills) in June 2001. This text aims to match the content and level of difficulty of this examination. It contains chapters that cover all five PACES stations - respiratory and abdominal; history taking; cardiovascular and neurological; communication skills; and skin, locomotor, eyes and endocrine - and presents the ten most common diagnoses in each station. The book presents detailed information on relevant points of examination, summary of presentation, causes of the diagnosis, investigations and brief management. A communication skills chapter contains information on informing patients about diagnosis, relevant features of a disease, complications, prognosis, investigations and management.

Get Through MRCP: Paces: Pt.2
    Eric Beck

With first hand experience of devising and implementing PACES, this title provides comprehensive preparation for the final section of the MRCP (UK) - Part 2: The Five Clinical Stations in the Practical Assessment of Clinical Examination Skills (PACES). Tackling both traditional systems examination stations and the new 'talking' stations of History Taking and Communications Skills/Ethics, a recommended procedure to follow for each station is provided. The examiners' marking sheet and the clinical method being tested, explained and analysed for each station, with explanation of pre-arranged Pass/Fail criteria and the issues surrounding the use of real patients at a station versus surrogate patients. This title also highlights typical avoidable errors and offers advice on time-management, use of questioning techniques, using the referral letter and awareness of GMC guidelines. Role differences in the doctor/ patient relationship are also considered for different cultures, worldwide.

Paces for the MRCP (MRCP Study Guides)
    Tim Hall

This new book is a highly structured case-based text to help candidates pass the MRCP PACES (Practical Assessment of Clinical Examination Skills) examination. Its contents correspond to the five clinical stations of the exam and the systems that each contains. Each system is covered in a structured way, providing an examination scheme followed by a series of detailed case-based clinical scenarios. The book also covers the history-taking skills and communication skills and ethics stations which are new to this exam.

Please comments on this and your suggestion on these books
  25. giroop2003

giroop2003 Guest

PACES
    Practical Assessment of Clinical Examination Skills
    · The PACES examination is the last part of the examination for membership of the Royal Colleges of Physicians.
    · It is a practical examination and tests the practical skills of would be members of the colleges.
    · This is the most important fact that candidates should keep in mind
    · It is not a theory test. Theory has already been tested in the first two parts, the written sections.
    · When preparing for a practical examination one should concentrate on the following:
    The examination
    Methods
    Findings and Causes
    Presentation
    The Examination

· In undertaking any examination, it is of utmost importance to know and understand what the exam is about. Do not think about going for an examination without studying the exam in detail.
    · Learn about examinations in general and the MRCP PACES examination in particular. (ACES for PACES chapter 1) This chapter will also give you important hints on how to study medicine.
    Methods:

· Clinical method is very important when approaching a practical assessment. One should learn correct clinical method and practice endlessly to achieve a high degree of competence.
    · To learn correct method it would be ideal to seek out a good teacher who is willing to give you personal guidance. This is not always possible and in any case you will also need a book on clinical method
    · When learning method it is essential to break down the method into its components, learn each component and then learn how to link the components together. One should also learn to complete each step of the process before moving on to the next. Never try to do more than one thing at a time, pay attention to the task at hand and this will allow one to bring one’s mind to bear on the task at hand and observe everything of importance.
    · Following initial instruction one should engage in hours of practice and then obtain help from a teacher or colleague to observe one’s techniques and correct faults in technique.
    Learning Clinical Method

· First, you must understand WHY you do WHAT you do (ACES for PACES chapter 2-7)

· Learn the method of history taking and practice it repeatedly (ACES for PACES chapter 4)

· Next, learn how to examine the different systems. (ACES for PACES chapter 8-17) The first part of each chapter will take you through clinical method in detail

· Learn the method of communication (ACES for PACES chapter 18)

· Practice the methods, revise the chapters, repeat ad infinitum.

Findings and Causes:

· If one adopts correct methods then it is highly likely that one will detect abnormal findings without much difficulty.
    · However, it is essential to be aware of the findings that one may obtain in different situations and in addition one should be aware of the causes of these findings.
    · This knowledge may be obtained by reading extensively but more importantly by seeing as many patients as possible as practical experience is far superior to theoretical knowledge.
    · It is also important to know the causes of the findings that one may obtain on examination. To do this it is essential to read widely and more important see as many patients as possible.
    · The chapters on the various systems have a section on lesions that may occur. Study this so that you are aware of the lesions that may occur and focus your studying on these lesions.
    · Read the chapters on the various systems in ACES for PACES and learn the clinical features that may occur in diseases of the different systems and their causes
    Presentation:

· This is very important.
    · If the candidate is unable to present his or her findings in a clear manner how can the examiners ascertain the degree of competence of the candidate?
    · The only way to become proficient at presentation is to practice. It is best to do this by taking every opportunity at ward rounds and clinics to present one’s findings to seniors and in addition one should try and practice with a good teacher or if this is not possible at least with one’ colleagues.
    Presentation of Findings

· Present findings in the same order that you examined the patient, as this will make it easier to remember.
    · Give the positive findings and relevant negative findings
    Presentation of Diagnosis

· Give a complete diagnosis (ACES for PACES chapter 3)
    · If you are unable to determine one of the components of the diagnosis use the checklists to give a list of possibilities (ACES for PACES chapter 3)
    Making a Diagnosis

· There are several methods clinicians use to make a diagnosis

· The most commonly used and the method that most clinicians ultimately use is called the hypothetico-deductive method

· This is where an initial idea comes to mind and one pursues this finding clues in favour of and against this idea and ultimately deducing the answer

· The examples given in the aces for paces website and the cases described in the clinical skills blogspot will make this clearer

· For a further explanation of this method read the preface in ACES for PACES

· Another method that is described is pattern recognition

· In this method one gathers all the information available and then tries to match these features to a pattern that one may recognise

· This is an unreliable method and is not recommended

· In addition in the PACES examination one is not given time to think about the diagnosis after finishing examination

· Questions will be asked almost immediately and one’s thoughts should be clear by then

· The hypothetico- deductive method allows one to come to a diagnosis more quickly and with greater reliability and is hence the method of choice

· In summary

· Use the hypothetico-deductive method not pattern recognition

Investigations and Management

· Plan investigation and management before presentation. This should be part of your revision. Have a reliable method of planning (ACES for PACES chapter 18)

Clear Thinking

· One of the most important aspects of good presentation is to have clear thinking.
    · An important aspect of demonstrating one’s competence as a clinician is to show the examiners that one is capable of clear thinking.
    · A theoretician can list all the causes of a clinical finding. But this is not the point.
    · A clinician will be able to tease out which of these causes is important in the case of the patient under consideration.
    · As an example, if one is appearing as a candidate for the examination in the U.K. the causes of hepatosplenomegaly that one may encounter are different to those that one may encounter if one were a candidate in Cairo.
    · Similarly when one is asked on what findings one based one’s diagnosis, the examiners are asking what the findings are in that patient. Not what the findings are in that condition.
    · DO NOT memorise the typical findings of a case from a book and regurgitate this at the exam
    · This also applies to investigations and treatment. The idea is to determine what investigations and treatment would apply to the patient under consideration not patients in general.
    Preparation for MRCP PACES (Preparing for MRCP PACES)

· Learn correct methods (ACES for PACES) and practice repeatedly
    § Practice methods
    § Practice presentation
    · Use the methods from ACES for PACES to go through the available:
    § Exam textbooks
    § Course materials
    § Website materials
    · Make yourself familiar with the cases and clinical scenarios that may occur at the examination.
    · Use the examples of cases on the ACES for PACES website to guide you in the use of ACES for PACES in analysis of cases
    Common Cases and Scenarios

· Know the common cases and scenarios that occur in MRCP PACES
    · Analyse the clinical features of these cases and scenarios using the methods given in ACES for PACES. This will make recall easy
    · Know the common causes of the clinical conditions that may be seen in the exam
    · Study the causes that are likely in the exam centre that you are being examined in (British centre, Egypt, Malaysia etc)
    · Use the methods described in ACES for PACES for easy recall of the causes of these conditions (ACES for PACES chapter 3)
    · Go through the lists of causes given in ACES for PACES and underline or highlight the causes that are common in the centre in which you are being examined
    · Plan the investigations that you would arrange in relation to these causes using the plan for investigation described in ACES for PACES chapter 18
    · Plan management strategies for these conditions using the plan for management described in ACES for PACES chapter 18
    · Plan explanation using the plan for investigation described in ACES for PACES chapter 18

Revision

· Revise the common topics that come up in the MRCP PACES using the short revision notes from
    KEYS to SUCCESS in Medicine

KEYS to SUCCESS in Medicine [Paperback]
    Ajith Jayasekera (Author)

A.C.E.S for P.A.C.E.S. Advanced Clinical Evaluation System for Practical Assessment of Clinical Examination Skills [Paperback]
    Ajith Jayasekera (Author)

Please comments on this and your suggestion on these books also
  26. giroop2003

giroop2003 Guest

PassPACES ebook,

PACES: needs loads of clinical experience.

Required Time: 3- 6 months

Recommended Books:

An Aid to the MRCP PACES Vol: 1 & 2- Ryder & Mir

PACES for the MRCP- Tim Hall

Cases for PACES

There are specialised courses for PACES in many major cities of UK. I would highly recommend you to do one of them. These can be found online. Famous ones are as below:

Fast Paces

Ealing Paces Course

Hammersmith Paces Course

Lancashire Paces Course

Kings College Paces Course

Paces Ahead

Walton Neurology Course for Paces

Pastest Course, for PACES

Guys & St Thomas Paces Course
  27. giroop2003

giroop2003 Guest

The new PACES books being published by Oxford University Press by Dr. Iqbal and Dr. Mehta look extremely good. They are tailored to the new PACES examination. The Ryder and Baliga books appear a little out of date. In my opinion, these books are likely to become the best PACES books. They will be out in early 2010.
  28. mannyl

mannyl Guest

Thax alot Giroop for info.
    I 'm starting with Ryder which is the one most people prefer and comment.
    I will stick to that book and subcribe pastest online soon. Then see how I can expand to other books and what i need.
    At this time, i have no idea all about PACES and need orientation most.
  29. mannyl

mannyl Guest

Hi Giroop, i found your books in amazon. Reviews are good.
    Plz let me know how they are after you buy them.
    I have already bought ryder so i will go with them. :wink:
  30. Dr.House

Dr.House Guest

gr8 work giroop and mannyl

i am gonna buy the following from amazon

ryder mir
    tim hall

reviews good for both

baliga i have got

and two more options in my head

OST: Clinical Medicine for the MRCP PACES
    Volume 1: Core Clinical Skills

The Illustrated MRCP PACES Primer (Masterpass)

i am not sure whether these are worth being bought

but ryder
    tim hall... i have decided

need more suggestions guys
  31. giroop2003

giroop2003 Guest

I was little allergy with reading many books, it seems unavoidable,

I am thinking to buy these, Little worried also
    Because by reading too many books some times i may get more confused rather gainin,

Aid to the MRCP Paces: Volume 1
    R.E.J. Ryder, Afzal Mir, Anne Freeman

An Aid to the MRCP Paces: Volume 2
    R.E.J. Ryder

250 Cases in Clinical Medicine (MRCP Study Guides)
    Ragavendra R. Baliga

Paces for the MRCP (MRCP Study Guides)
    Tim Hall

A.C.E.S for P.A.C.E.S. Advanced Clinical Evaluation System for Practical Assessment of Clinical Examination Skills

PassPACES ebook

new PACES books by Oxford University Press by Dr. Iqbal and Dr. Mehta
  32. giroop2003

giroop2003 Guest

Cases for PACES by Stephen Hoole
  33. Dr.House

Dr.House Guest

this is still lots of stuff giroope

and i agree
    i want it compact...

2-3 books and revise several times

but wat is the best

i dont know at all

wat is this
    PassPACES ebook

ebook means something on computer or wat???

must to buy books are den

ryder mir
    tim hall
    250 cases

as we r all agreeing on these

wat shud be extra
    or there shud b none...
    i dont know

need advice
  34. Dr-A

Dr-A Guest

thank u for great input and effort guys.. really informative
    regarding mrcp paces courses, as i am in Kuwait i have limited options, does any body knw abt the IBCmed course in sharjah by Dr ajith jayashakar ?
    is it a good course in preparation of PAces ?
  35. EYNAS a

EYNAS a Guest

GOOD AFTERNOON GUYS.I'M FROM SUDAN AND I JUST PASSED THE WRITTEN WITH U.I WILL APPRECIATE IF U INCLUDED ME IN UR GROUP.
    I NEED TO SHARE WITH U ALL THE ESSENTIAL INFORMATIONS AS I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT PACES.
    I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS TO ASK:
    1-REGARDING PASTEST .IS IT THE SAME MANY PEOPLE
    APPLIED FOR FOR THE WRITTEN OR THERE IS ANOTHER ONE FOR PACES?
    2-DO I NEED TO ENTER THE COURSE MANY MONTH BEFORE THE EXAM OR I CAN DO IT JUST BEFORE IT.
    3-IS THERE ANY COURSES IN SUDAN U HEARED ABOUT?
    4-THERE IS A VACANCY PROBLEM FACED THE ONES BEFORE US.HOW TO DEAL WITH IT?
    THANKS IN ADVANCE
  36. mannyl

mannyl Guest

Hi EYNASa, Pastest online subscription is for PACES. can check on website.
  37. giroop2003

giroop2003 Guest

Hi Dr.House,

I do feel it is too much study materials,

Just thinking to buys these books but Final selection for revision and stick on books till the end exam only after having first fast reading of the all these books

Hope most of our Guys does same, and shares their selected study material.

Mean time if any of you Guys gets better idea about study materials please share in this forum
  38. EYNAS a

EYNAS a Guest

thanks a lot dr Manny for reply.i will asked the seniors and the last exam candidates and i will share with all of u.best luck to all.when u plan to enter the exam please?
  39. anxious

anxious Guest

To Dr-A: For that course at sharjah..many friends told me poor as it doesnt give you what really you wants for exam especially station 4 beside it is expensive for nothing

The problem at kuwait you have to do lot of effort to find cases and train yourself
  40. mannyl

mannyl Guest

Hi all, you can get stephen hoole online.
    Hi EYNASa, i plan to sit on 1/2011 diet.
  41. sushree

sushree Guest

mrcp

hey guys i wanna appear for 2011.can u guide me wat books to read and how to apply for it??
  42. Dr - A

Dr - A Guest

thanks alot anxious
    if you have heard abt any other good course worth attending
    in middle east ?
    yes i am facing that problem.. really have to search cases..
    i will most probably go to pakistan to a month to practice to max
    where r u ?
    any body interested in group study ?
  43. giroop2003

giroop2003 Guest

Hi Mannyl,

can you get me details how to get stephen hoole online
  44. EYNAS a

EYNAS a Guest

Good evening to all.Thanks a lot dr Manny.
    Dr A :i'm interested in online group studying
    if it is ok with u let us start immediately by forming a time-managed plan.
  45. mannyl

mannyl Guest

Hi giroop,

ebook3000.
    com

/
    Cases-for-PACES
    _

html
  46. mannyl

mannyl Guest

Credits to double alot.

have been preparing for my paces nov2010 for the past 2 months...

have nearly all the books that have been recommended for the exam.... thought i would have them then choose what to read...

1. ryder vol2 for history and communication ..helps a lot coz the material is very detailed and covers many history and commmuncation scenarios...

2. success in paces.. very excellent book.. statistics give u what to read and what to omit... it gives a list of cases that can occur 90 percent of the time...so u shud be very unlucky not to get them in ur exam...

3. baliga : it gives 250 cases and many will never appear in the exam.... so what u do is see ryder and success in paces in and mark the cases that r more likely to come in the exam and u are down to a 100 most common cases...

have read the first 2 completely and baliga is in progress..

4. ohcm... u have to read the matter regarding investigations and treatment for every case from here.. or else u have a dumb face in the 4 mins following ur examination when the examiner bombards u with qs..

5. cases for paces by stephen hoole is a 5 star book but only after u have done all these... for the last 10 days..

6. pastest online subscription is great.. very very long and takes a long time to complete...

7. if u have read so many things it wudnt be wise to read ryder volume one coz u will b repeating stuff...

8. ost clinical skills for paces seems to be a good book especially with station 5..... mine is scheduled to arrive in 2 days... so cant comment on that....

if ur examination technique is correct u dont need mcleod or hutchinson.. for the various qs they ask u in the exam regarding causes of clubbing or types of pulses, u can as well read in short and complete form in ohcm starting pages....
  47. guest99

guest99 Guest

Do write a review for ost clinical skills for paces when you have had a look at it, please.
  48. Guest

Guest Guest

Friends

I have an idea, let us revise all the important cases in each system.
    let us divide the systems, say for example we start with respiratory system and the important cases are...

1)COPD
    2)PULMONARY FIBROSIS
    3)ASTHMA
    4)LOBECTOMY
    5)BRONCHECTASIS
    6)BRONCHOGENIC CARCINOMA
    7)PLEURAL EFUUSION
    8)PNEMONIA
    9)CYSTIC FIBROSIS

If you are interested let us do it in the following order while discussing , i.e.

a) definition....helps in discussing with the patient and examiner
    b) etiology...helps in discussing with the patient and examiner
    c) symptoms....helps in history taking
    d)signs...helps in patient examination
    e)investigations...helps in discussing with the patient and examiner
    f)management...helps in discussing with the patient and examiner and tests communication skills
    g)follow up plans...helps in discussing with the patient and examiner
    e)any ethical issues?...helps in discussing with the patient and examiner

I will take COPD as my topic, all others can choose their own topic and that way we save a lot of time researching and collecting latest NICE guidelines and management. please let me know if you have any other suggestions.
    You can also follow PACES station 5 thread.
  49. @Dr Naive..
    good idea sir..but dun u think thts too much typing?

we love copy paste game..but typing :roll:
  50. @Dr House..Mannyl..Giroop..Drnaive

Guys m sure u all knw the best uses of net..

Isn't there any system where there can be video conference/ audio conference?

For part1 and part2..verbal area of brain was minimal at use..

Here i guess its more important what we speak than what we know..

Plus need to clear dictions and accent too..