pls answer any of these MCQS..

Discussion in 'MRCOG Forum' started by Guest, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

1-the pronephric duct degenerates as the mesonephros develops
    2-Alfa thalassemia is due to defect in 4 genes
    3-HPL shows a normal level in trophoblastic diseases
    4-fetal heart rate may accelerate with external compression
    5-total cerebral blood flow is most markedly increased by:
    a cerebral activity
    b increase in mean arterial pressure
    6-renal blood flow is reduced when arterial pressure fall by about the same percentage
    7-the decidua secrets HCG
    8-the fetal gut absorbs swallowed amniotic fluid
    9-protein contain AA which are always L-configuration
    10-euchromic chromosomes r only coiled during mitosis
    11-sex(nuclear)chromatin is formed of delay in DNA synthesis
    12-the neural tube is normally comletely closed in age 52 days
    thanks and good luck
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

7-the decidua secrets HCG

• All human tissues make HCG but the placenta is unique in being able to glycosylate it, increasing the half life and giving biological avtivity. Sialic acid residues are essential for the longer half life

With reference to above from Tim chard I think its correct that decidua also secretes HCG
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

1-the pronephric duct degenerates as the mesonephros develops false

.Three sets of kidneys are formed
    1) the pronephros (forekidney),
    2) the mesonephros (midkidney), and
    3) metanephros (hindkidney).

The pronephros persists in adult cyclostomes and some teleosts, the mesonephros is the adult kidney of most fish and amphibia (anamniota) while the metanephros is the adult permanent kidney of mammals including man (amniota). There is overlap between the three developmental stages of kidney ontogeny.
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

2-Alfa thalassemia is due to defect in 4 genes true ?
    I depicted from the following that the answer is true Plz comment

Alfa thalassemia (Robbins)
    These disorders are characterized by reduced synthesis (alpha+ -thalassemia) or absent synthesis (alpha°-thalassemia) of alpha-globin chains. Since there are normally four alpha-globin genes, the severity of the clinical syndromes shows a great variation, depending on the number of affected alpha-globin genes. As in the case of beta-thalassemias, the anemia stems both from lack of adequate hemoglobin and from the effects of excess unpaired non-alpha chains (beta, gamma, delta). However, the situation is somewhat complicated by the fact that normally different non-alpha chains are synthesized at different times of development. Thus, in the newborn with alpha-thalassemia, there is an excess of unpaired gamma-globin chains resulting in the formation of gamma4 -tetramers called Bart hemoglobin, whereas in adults, the excess beta-globin chains aggregate to form tetramers called HbH. Since the non-alpha chains in general form more soluble and less toxic aggregates than those derived from alpha chains, the hemolytic anemia and ineffective erythropoiesis tend to be less severe than with beta-thalassemias of similar degree of chain imbalance. A variety of molecular lesions have been detected in alpha-thalassemia. Unlike in beta-thalassemia, however, the most common cause of reduced alpha-chain synthesis seems to be the deletion of alpha-globin genes.

Previous 2 questions are also answered by me plz comment if the answers are correct
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

8-the fetal gut absorbs swallowed amniotic fluid true

In the fourth intrauterine month the fetus begins to swallow amniotic fluid (25% to 40% of the volume) and absorbs the fluid from the upper gastrointestinal tract. The fluid is urinated back out into the amniotic pool by the fetal kidneys and a functioning bladder.
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

i read that the decidua doesn't secret HCG as it is secreated by the trophoplast(fetal origin)while the decidua is maternal origin,pls correct me if i am wrong
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

MCQs

can u answer these pls:
    1-the plcenta form steroid products from the fetal and maternal adrenals
    2-postmenopausal oestrogen increase:
    a)triglycerides in blood
    b)incidence of arterial thrombosis
    3-the afferent arteriol of the kidney is thicker than the efferent
    4-interferons may produce severe influenza like syndrome
    5-chlamydia T.ic often carried asymptomaticaly in the female cervix
    6-the standard vartiation of a group has a normal Gaussian distribution
    7-Ergometrine is only effective twards term than early pregnancy
    8-Thyroxin and TSH stimulate erythropoiesis
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

1 T
    2 ? do u mean postmenopausal estrogen therapy then - T
    T
    3 ? afferent art are bigger than effernt
    4 T
    5 T
    6 T if its a normal distribution
    7 F
    8 T
    everyone please comment if these are right or wrong.
    cheers
    :)
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

hi

estrogen increase venous and not arterial thrombosis,right?
    In ganong TSH is not mention 2 increase hemopoiesis,r u sure?
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: hi

In ganong TSH is not mention 2 increase hemopoiesis,r u sure?

The thyroid hormones affect virtually every metabolic activity in the body. These include the concentration and functionality of numerous enzymes, all aspects of the metabolism of fats, carbohydrates, protein, vitamins, the utility of minerals, the secretion and breakdown of all other hormones, as well as the response of tissues to these other hormones. The thyroid hormones have marked influence on the contractile strength and rhythm of the heart, they enhance respiratory drive especially when tissue/blood oxygen levels are suboptimal (i.e. promotes breathing!), they stimulate the marrow to create more red blood cells, if needed (erythropoiesis), and are active in the regulation of bone synthesis and turnover. They are important for processes where cell turnover and resynthesis are ongoing (e.g. the hair follicle). According to Feldman and Nelson* “...no tissue or organ system escapes the adverse effects of thyroid hormone excess or insufficiency.”
  11. Guest

Guest Guest

Alpha thalassaemia can be due to defect on 4 genes but usually if this severe results in hydrops in uteros and fetal /neonatal death.
    Moderate disease (survivable) is due to defect on three of the genes. Mild disaese (microcytosis) due to defect on two of the genes.
  12. mahmoud_mosa

mahmoud_mosa Guest

dear zaki

i will answer ur questions but u should not rely on them totally,there's a lot of debate concerning answer of mcq questions even in well recognized refrences..

1- T
    as someone referred it does regenrate but not completely as mesonephros develope ...it's a non functioning kidney and its remenants contribute to mesonephric duct formation
    2- alpha thalassemia has 4 subtypes each one is due to defect in one or more of alpha globin genes(4 genes on chromosome 16) for eg alpha thalassemia trait is due to one gene defect while the leathal form is due to defect in 4 genes leading to IUFD and fetal hydrops
    3- T it's directly proportional to functional placental mass
    4- T as well as external noise
    5- a- T
    b- T
    6- i'm not sure but i think it's F
    7- F decidua doesnt secret hCG,it's secreted by chorion
    8- T so fetus can urinate
    9- all mammalian proteins contain AA of L configuration but bacteria can contain both forms
    10- T
    11- i dont understand the question
    12- T ant pore closes before post ( this usually ends by 42 to 45 days )