PRE EMPLOYMENT STRUCTURED CLINICAL INTERVIEW

Discussion in 'Australian Medical Council (AMC) EXAM' started by IrshadAMC, Aug 12, 2009.

1. IrshadAMC

IrshadAMC Guest

Hi people who are working as GPs in QLD,

I have cleared IELTS, AMC, offered a job and applied for registration at the QLD medical board.

The board's website says that there might be an interview called PESCI before the registration is confirmed. Could anyone please comment on this interview if you had one? Is it compulsory or is it conducted at the board's discretion? Also please tell me what material I should use for the preparation and how the interview would be conducted if I am overseas?

Thanks a lot in advance.
  2. real cases

real cases Guest

o.k. these are real cases from my friend.
    1) Viral Pharyngitis: Need to do a structured and appropriate history. Physical examination and Diagnosis. Then you need to deal with patient pressure for antibiotics and management such as fluids, rest, warm drinks, isolation from family and analgesia
    2) 5 year old with behavioural change, possibility of child abuse
    The clitical point is you need to report to the police and child protection group, keep kid in the hospital for further investigations. DDX ADHD, Thyroid, bullying, family dysfunction
    3) 15 year old girl , emergency contraception. Need to make patient feel comfortable. History taking consent, confidentiality, drug/alcohol, unprotected sex, LMP, Mens history, contraception, number of partners, social history etc. Postinor (High does oestrogen) how to take it and what is complications such as stop smoking, PE, migrane and HT. Do STIs screening and BHCG. review in a wk time
    4) 48 year old laceration and opportunity for health check
    History and physical exam. Function, senstion, circlation and immunization. Checking FB, allergies. Health Check: weight, Fhx, DM, chest pain, medication, occupation and weight loss. Then base line tests, BSL, PSA, Chol, LFT, RFT and FBC. DM don't forget to refer to DM educator, Dietician, podistrist and opthalmologist. and don't forget Antibiotic, analgesia, ADT how to look after wound, Bleeding complication and review 1 wk and remove sutures for this case
    5) Life support skills CPR such as recue breaths, precordial thumb, 30 compression : 2 breath. checking for pluses, remove fake teeth, put him on firm ground, call 000, Defib, oxygen, IV , adreanaline ABCD basicaly
  3. real cases

real cases Guest

o.k. these are real cases from my friend.
    1) Viral Pharyngitis: Need to do a structured and appropriate history. Physical examination and Diagnosis. Then you need to deal with patient pressure for antibiotics and management such as fluids, rest, warm drinks, isolation from family and analgesia
    2) 5 year old with behavioural change, possibility of child abuse
    The clitical point is you need to report to the police and child protection group, keep kid in the hospital for further investigations. DDX ADHD, Thyroid, bullying, family dysfunction
    3) 15 year old girl , emergency contraception. Need to make patient feel comfortable. History taking consent, confidentiality, drug/alcohol, unprotected sex, LMP, Mens history, contraception, number of partners, social history etc. Postinor (High does oestrogen) how to take it and what is complications such as stop smoking, PE, migrane and HT. Do STIs screening and BHCG. review in a wk time
    4) 48 year old laceration and opportunity for health check
    History and physical exam. Function, senstion, circlation and immunization. Checking FB, allergies. Health Check: weight, Fhx, DM, chest pain, medication, occupation and weight loss. Then base line tests, BSL, PSA, Chol, LFT, RFT and FBC. DM don't forget to refer to DM educator, Dietician, podistrist and opthalmologist. and don't forget Antibiotic, analgesia, ADT how to look after wound, Bleeding complication and review 1 wk and remove sutures for this case
    5) Life support skills CPR such as recue breaths, precordial thumb, 30 compression : 2 breath. checking for pluses, remove fake teeth, put him on firm ground, call 000, Defib, oxygen, IV , adreanaline ABCD basicaly
  4. drhelp

drhelp Guest

congrates dr irshad....hope u remember me...pagaldr!!!.....u must be in aust now......how is everyone in ur family......me still looking for job......its very diff in vic...and cant afford jobs outside vic....
  5. Dr. Nili

Dr. Nili Guest

Hello friends,

I am trying to apply for PESCI as well. As I heard, the simulated cases are the most important and of course most difficult part of examination. I am searching for sites that contains similar scenarios. Seemingly there are a few sample questions except that are given here.

Any one knows?
  6. guest10

guest10 Guest

Hi there,

Is it mean that after passing the AMC clinical, we need to take an interview = do another test before registration?.

If we fail the interview, what's going next?

Please tell me if someone know things regarding this matter.

Many thanks and waiting for your reply
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes, now OTDs must pass two official examinations in order to obtain general registration, one is AMC's examinations, the other is individual medical board. It seems to me that state medical boards either (1) don't trust AMC or (2) simplily find a new way to exclude OTDs to practice medicine here in order to ensure that new medical graduates will get job.
  8. guestamc

guestamc Guest

Hi Guest,

Thank you so much for your reply. Have you ever taken the Medical board's exam?. Would you please let us know any experience about that.

Once again thanks in advance.
  9. mokongfort

mokongfort Guest

As far as I know, PESCI will not be required if you have passed MCQ + clinicals (+ IELTS) and you'll be working as an RMO in a hospital, but there's a structured behavioural interview of course. However, PESCI will be required if you'll be employed as a GP or at least the level PHO/registrar if you don't have general registration yet. MCQ and IELTS are always prerequisites for IMGs (unless you're a GP and have RACGP equivalence).
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

that makes sense.
  11. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi
    I have General reg and I am applying for a rural GP position. Will i have to do the PESCI too?
    Is the PESCI for GP positions different from the hospital ones?