questions of september 2006

Discussion in 'Australian Medical Council (AMC) EXAM' started by Guest, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

september 2006

1- A 62 yr old man presents with tiredness ,weight loss,anemia and fatigability. What is the Ix you will do first?
    a.Barium meal
    b.Sigmoidoscopy
    c.Colonoscopy
    d.Fecal occult blood test

2- A young man comes to you with epigastric pain.His wife is pregnant and he is “on edgeâ€.AOF would support you inference that he is an alcoholic,EXCEPT-
    a.Attempt to cut down in the past
    b.Anger on enquiry
    c.Guilty about drinking
    d.Eye opener
    e.Two bottle of light beer/day

3- A 35 yr old school teacher came to you with a H/O difficulty to fall asleep, irritability 7 anxiety. When he goes to bed all minor mistakes in the day came to his mind & argues with those in himself. These thought are intrusive & gives him much distress though he knows these thoughts are irrational. He tries to get rid of them but unable to do that. He is perfectionist and wants to be done in the way he likes. Which of the following drugs would be the most beneficial to him ?
    a, Benzodiazepines
    b, Non benzodiazepine hypotic
    c, SSRI
    d, Atypical anti psychotics
    e, Anti psychotic/anti depressant

4-A young man has a syncopal attack while weight lifting. He has had similar episodes twice before. His father died of cardiac disease. What is the most appropriate management?
    a) Holter monitor
    b) Echocardiogram
    c) Stess test
    d) BP in supine & lying down
    e) CT scan

5-A 70-years old woman presents with a 3-month history of fatigue, generalized lymphadenopathy, and hepatosplenomegaly. What is the most likely diagnosis?

a) Hodgkin’s lymphoma
    b) Non Hodgkin’s lymphoma
    c) Acute lymphocytic leukaemia
    d) Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia
    e) Chronic Myeloid leukaemia

6-A patient has calcium oxalate renal stones. What is the most appropriate managemant?
    a) Allopurinol
    b) Alkalinize the urine
    c) Stop taking food with calcium
    d) Give calcium

7-A female aged 23 years, presented with proteinuria. There is a previous history of enuresis till 13 years of age. Her sister also had enuresis as a child. The history is suggestive of which of the following?

a) Chronic glomerulonephritis
    b) Reflux nephropathy
    c) Congenital nephritis
    d) Polycystic kidney disease
    e) Analgesic nephropathy

8-A 65-year-old man presented with confusion. Laboratory findings showed hypercalcaemia, calciuria, and phosphates within normal limits. Which is the most likely diagnosis?

a) Malignancy(osteolytic metastasis)
    b) Primary hyperparathyroidism
    c) Idiopathic hypercalcaemia/hypercalciuria
    d) Pagets disease myeloma

9-A 64-years old man presents with profuse bright red bleeding per rectum. What is the most like cause?

a) Ca colon
    b) Polyp
    c) Diverticulosis
    d) Duodenal ulcer
    e) Haemorrhoids

10-A diabetic patient with an ulcer at the head of the 2nd metatarsal on the sole of the foot. Which of the following would be the most likely cause?

a) Macrovasclar disease
    b) neuropathy
    c) Infection
    d) Varicose venis
    e) Hyperglycaemia

11-The most common cause of diarrhoea in bedridden elderly patients is?

a) Ca colon
    b) Crohn’s disease
    c) Ulserative colitis
    d) Diverticulosis
    e) Faecal impaction

12-What is the most important aspect in managemant of an open fracture OF tibia and fibula?
    a) Antibiotics
    b) Intenal fixation
    c) Debridement
    d) Tetanus toxoid
    e) Immobilisation
    13- A middle aged female complaints of morning diarrhoea and cramps. On examination there are no remarkable findings. Which is the most likely diagnosis?

a) Irritable bowel disease
    b) Ca Colon
    c) Crohns disease
    d) Ulcerative colitis
    e) Inflammatory bowel disease

14-A 5 month old baby unwell for a week is noticed by his parents to have episodes of leaning forward and shaking his arms. His parents are concerned, because he is not responding as he used to. What is the likely cause?

a) Infantile spasm
    b) Febrile seizures
    c) Breath holding spells
    d) Infantile myoclonic seizures
    e) Petit mal epilepsy

15 A 2 month old child has strawberry naevus on its face. What is the most appropriate management?

a) Cryotherapy
    b) Lase therapy
    c) Observation
    d) Injection of a sclerosing agent
    e) Simple excision

16- A child has tenderness & pain at upper tibia of the left leg and swelling of the knee which is warm. He is febrile(39 degrees Celsius) and gets pain at 30 degrees flexion. What is your diagnosis?

a) Osteomyelitis
    b) Osteosarcoma
    c) Septic arthritis
    d) Fracture tibia
    e) Irritable hip (Transient synovitis)

17- A 20-year-old female presents to you with amenorrhoea. On ultrasound, a cyst(1.8 x 1.3 x 1.0 cm) is found on the right overy. What is the most appropriate management?

a) Laproscopy to find cytology
    b) Repeat ultrasound in 4 weeks time
    c) Do nothing
    d) OCP
    e) Oophorectomy

18- A female, 17 weeks pregnant, has acute right iliac fossa pain. Which of the following is the least likely cause of the pain?

a) Pyelonephritis
    b) Red degeneration of a fibroid
    c) Ectopic pregnancy
    d) Acute appendicitis
    e) Torsion of an ovarian cyst

19- Multiple red inflamed lesions with discharege in auxilla of left groin. What is the diagnosis

a) pyelenodeal sinus
    a) infected epidermoid cyst
    a) suppurative hydradenitis

20- . A 17 year old girl who had a seizure with loss of consciousness for 1 minute. She says that for 1 year she has been experiencing 'jerks' in her hands. What is the treatment?

a) phenitonin
    a) carbamazepine
    a) gabapentin
    a) itho suxximide
    a) sodium valporate

21- 39. A couple who wanted advice regarding contraception using rhythm method. Her period in one year varied between 26 and 29 days. What stage do you advise abstinence? (recall qu)

a) 8-19 days
    a) 10-19 days
    a) 12-19 days
    a) 6-16 days
    a) 4-21 days

22- Without a previous history of any operation what is the most common cause of small bowel obstruction?

a) hiatus hernia
    a) groin hernia
    a) sigmoid volvulos
    a) gall stone illeus
    23- A baby born at term. Normal appearance. 6 hours after birth develops tachypnea and cyanosis and was corrected with 45% O2. What is the diagnosis?

a) transient tachypnia of infant
    a) merconium aspiration
    a) hyaline membrane disease

24- Patient with right sides sciatica and lower limb pain. He was hospitalized and given narcotic analgesia and bed rest. After 8 hours he cannot pass urine. What is the reason?

a) narcotic analgesic side effect
    a) prostetic bladder outflow obstruction
    a) central cord disc prolapse

25- A 12 year old girl with anorexia. Has lost 5kg over last few months. She has abdominal distension and offensive stool The diagnosis is:

a) giardia
    a) Chrohns disease
    a) Amoebiec parasite

26- Child was at birthday party. Came to hospital with sudden onset of wheeze on one side. What do you do?

a) inspiratory and expiratory x-ray
    a) bronchoscopy
    a) allergy test

27-Woman after 3 days of laparotomic operation during shower became cyanosed, tachypnoec, breathless. Dx
    a) Myocardial Infarction.
    b)Pulmonary embolism
    c)Vasodilatation due to hot shower

28 In a patient with a loss of dorsiflexion and eversion but has intact inversion, plantar flexion, ankle and knew reflex. WOF nerves is injured
    a) L4
    a) L5
    a) Sciatic nerve
    a) common peroneal nerve

46 yr old pt presented e decreased vision specially in reading books
    a- myopia
    b- presbiopia
    c- cataract
    d- hypermetropia
    30- A 20 year old female with a lump in anterior aspect of sternocleidomastoid muscle, at the border of lower and middle third. What's the best management?
    a) brachial cyst
    31- Patient with a lump in suprasternal notch, which moves up and down with swallowing. What is the diagnosis?
    a) Thyroid nodule
    b) Thyroglossal cyst
    c) Branchial cyst
    32- claudication of bottuck, thinght and calf
    a- aortic-iliac artery
    b- femoral artery
    c- popliteal artery

33- picture of a lesion(kerato acanthoma) what is the Rx
    a- local Ex
    b- wide local Ex
    c- observation

44- young man after MVA presented with dyspnea, mild brusis on chest wall and mild cynosis ,no obvious chest injury, BP 70/50 and subcutaneous emphysema.
    a- esophagea laceration
    b- hemothorax
    c- pneumothorax

45- pt presented e the painfull loss of vision, conjuntival injection, dilated pupil
    a- cataract
    b- glucoma
    c- conjuntivitis

46- most common site coarctaton of aorta Dx
    a- radial pulse
    b- delayed or absent femoral pulses
    c- systolic murmur in lleft sternum
    d- notching of ribs on chest X-ray

47- 28 yr old women 2 month after delivery feel pain in intercourse , not on initial period but on deep penile penetration
    a- neglected small tear after delivery
    b- candidiasis
    c- endometriosis
    d-
    (question similar to this one )
    48- pt presented e weakness of hands upper arm and hyper reflexia of lower limbs
    a- cuada equina synd
    b- lumbar dics herniation
    c- spinal cord compression

48- nipple with bloody discharge and retraction
    a- pagets dis
    b- duct carcinoma
    c- duct papilloma

50- newborn developed mild jaundice after 96 hrs of birth lasted for 2 – 3 wks indirect bilirubinemia
    a- hemolysis
    b- neonatal hepatitis
    c- spherocytosis
    d- breast feeding

51- inc prolactin level pt was receiving antipsychotic drug therapy
    a- micro adenoma
    b- due to antipsychotic
    c-

52- Pt 42 yr e pain epigastric pain nausea , vomiting (known to have duodenal ulcer)
    a- dudenal ulcer
    b- panceratitis
    c- cholangitis

53- . WOF is true regarding a 2cm kidney stone in the pelvis seen in KUB examination.:
    a. trans-cutaneous ………
    b. exracorporal litotrypsy
    c. Lithotripsy
    d. Open surgery

54- 6 year old child comes to you with up rolling if eyes, neck stiffness, protruded tongue, rigid body and face tilted to one side. Had vomiting and was being treated by the GP. What is the cause?

a. Huntington's chorea
    b. Epilepsy
    c. Reaction to metoclopramide
    d. Gastritis

55- . A lady had a MVA 6 months before. Now she presents with pain in her Rt. Arm and hand with disturbed sensation. Her biceps and triceps jerks are normal. Muscle power is 6/6 in biceps and 6/5 in triceps respectively. Other tests were normal, What could be the cause of her situation?
    a) Spinal cord injury
    b) FRACTURE in the cervical vertebra
    c) Multiple sclerosis
    d) Intervertebral disc protrusion
    e) Spinal artery thrombosis

56- Male arrived to the ED with a history of vomiting & diarrhea , dehydration.What is the best management?
    a]5%glucose IV
    b]50%glucose
    c]0.9%sodium
    d]hartman

57- how to diagnose glomerulonepritis? FINDINGS IN THE URINE
    a- RBC
    B- WBC
    C- PROTEINURIA

58- Management of stage CIN-II of cervix
    a- conisation
    b- hystrectomy
    c- radiotherapy
    d- laser therapy
    e- observation

59- young man with mouth ulcer, conjunctivitis, purulent urethral discharge, negative rheumatoid factor?
    a- reiter’s syndrome
    b- SLE
    c- rheumatoid arthritis

60- picture on anthology book page 54, a boy had a trauma (picture in the top) ACUTE ANA HAEMATOMA, what is the management
    a- analgesia
    b- excise and drain the haematoma under anaesthesia.

61- picture on anthology book page 55, ANAL FISTULA,

62- in patient with urine osmolality increased, plasma osmolality decreased, what do u find as laboratory:

a- Na decreased, urea decreased
    b- Na decreased , urea increased
    c- Na increased, urea decreased
    d- Na increased, urea increased

63- achalasia

64- picture from anthology book page 210 right picture, SUBUNGUAL HAEMATOMA,

65-66 two questions for the picture from anthology book page 294 , right picture , chronic deep venous insufficiency.

67- picture of lipoma on the back of the neck.
    a- do nothing

68- most commonly injured organ in blunt abdominal trauma
    a- spleen
    b- liver
    c- small intestine

69- picture with white granuloma in pelvis and kidney
    a- tuberculous

70- senior resident in a hospitalhave a relation with his patient and you are the supervisor, what do u do?
    a- court
    b- talk to patient
    c- talk to the resident

71- 59 yr male presents with reduced tsh,t3 and t4 normal. what should b avoided
    a.medication containing iodine
    b.beta blocker
    c.digoxin
    d.steroids

72- 1.which of the following does not mimic secondary syphilis
    a.pityriasis rosea
    b.atopic eeeczema
    c.tinea corporis
    d. viral warts
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks Maroun!

That's great. I appreciate your effort. I hope everyone will get benefit of it.

Regards
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks a lot!
    I wish you to pass!
    God bless you!
    Monica
  4. gorani

gorani Guest

SEPT AMC .... TOUGH EXAM

HI EVERYONE

quite releived to finally give amc myself but not satisfied ..... i would be very very surprised if someone says this exam as an easy one....believe me, it wasnt......

forget abt RECALLS n perpare sensibly....there were not more than 15-20% percent recalls from which only say overall abt 15 qs were with same choices...

MASTERY QS were really of a top level....there were abt 7-8 ecgs n take my word..u have to be a cardiolosist
    (kidding) to confidently deal with them( dont take me wrong but thts wht i and people around me felt. dont know if somebody had easy time with those)

WHTS MY ADVISE...... well, first of all, dont rush into this exam n take ur time....its not tht simple out there......do recalls,they will surely help to certain extent....its very satisfing to see a qs exactly same to wht u memorised few days back....there were few pictures.....one was of chronic venous insufficency(294 anthology)- 2 qs were based on this photo..... other photo was of tuberculous lymp node( pg 239- annotated mcqs)....3 more photos were there but out of those books....whts frustrating was tht a single similar situation was used for 3 seprate qs with diff options....so, tht means tht u should be knowing tht topic by heart to deal with all 3 qs

PLEASE DO ANNOTATED MCQ BOOK THOUROUGLY....COVER TO COVER...LINE TO LINE.....many qs were based on the explanations given to the qs in tht book...read every single word of those explanations...believe me, u wont curse me for tht

so,............to conclude, i must say tht although the paper was tricky but still it could be manageble..... the line between pass n fail is the mastery qs....take ur time on those.....in the rest, u will surely pass.... i have still not recalled anything , will post after comparing with my friends

best of luck to all everyone for the result

will write u entire scenario of my reading.
    First the books:-
    Medicine - Davidson and OHCM
    Surgery - Bailey & Love
    Pediatrics - Royal melbourne hospital handbook & OHCS
    Obs /Gyn - lewlyn jones & OHCS
    psychi - kaplan USMLE step 2 book + OHCS
    Anthology of medical conditions
    Annotated MCQ books

now the reading pattern:
    In undergraduate we use to cram up things, but I think here the scenario is different. We need to know stuff, not theoritical. So i read the topics from above mentioned books and try to remember the points. Nothing sort of detailed reading. But everytime I read something, I feel that I haven't read it to perfection and I think I don't remember it at all.

So there the problem lies? Is the list of books and method of reading fine?
    Sometimes I feel that only reading OHCS and OHCM will be enough but I get confused again and again.

And lastly, the recalls, I have the past papers of AMC but without answers. So are they required to read?

Also do we have to read ENT , Opthalmology, orthopaedics , anesthesia and all? From OHCS or where?

I know I will take your time but please reply so that i can learn from your experience.
    Please answer, specifically about method of reading so that I get less confused and gain some self confidence, as now only 1 months and some days remaining..

regards
  5. gorani

gorani Guest

one more thing... i can list u for all of u the ecg choices tht were there in diff qs...so tht u can just familarise urself with each one....

1. right and left ventricular hypertrophy
    2. right and left axis deviations
    3. right and left bundle branch blocks
    4. complete heart block
    5. atrial and ventrical extrasystoles
    6. MI and acute pericarditis
    7. subendothelial injury
    8. wolf parkinson white

yep, i know i have written most of ecg topics, but wht can i do, ... they all were there

hope my contribution can help some1
    good luck
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

hi
    would u please tell me....where did u sit for the exam........as i did sit for it in adelaide in sept..........and these are not the same questions........so i was just wondering.......
    thnx
    Dina
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

aren't questions all the same around Australia???
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

i guess yep..........questions are different ..........in different states.............i thin am i right?
  9. surgeonortho

surgeonortho Guest

i was in the exam

friends i was in the exam and i must say concentrate on paediatrics, gyne and psychiatry.
    i shall tell u a wonderful book for psychaitry and that is Lange Q and A in psychaitry for MLE step2 and trust me if u do this book even once then there is no psychaitry question in this world which u cant deal with.
  10. surgeonortho

surgeonortho Guest

i sat in adelaide and yes these are not the same questions as we got. ours was quite different.
  11. surgeonortho

surgeonortho Guest

ah dina that egyptian girl remember me?? i am that indian doc who was sitting with u in the lounge room.
  12. Guest

Guest Guest

hey.................. yep i remember u................ummmmmmmmmmmmm anyway although i am trying to forget that terrible day............. :D
    anyway so how did u find the exam?
    Dina
  13. Guest

Guest Guest

hello everyone..............I passed i cant believe it.......
    thnx for everyone
    Dina
  14. surgeonortho

surgeonortho Guest

i passed the exam.

hi all, i passed the AMC exam and ongrats to dina too. so only 3 people passed the exam. me, u and sarabjit
  15. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey

Congratulations to u too........
    but i know a friend of mine (Geetha) who passed too.....
    so are we 4 now? or maybe there are more..........how do u know?
    Dina
  16. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi dr. gorani . Yes you do need to read the recalls and you need to read about ENT opthalmology .............etc from the hocm book don't bother yourself reading other books as the questions on these topics are not much but it's necessary to have an idea